• Published 25th Oct 2012
  • 920 Views, 14 Comments

Reflection - Chlumpy



Four years have passed since the execution. Peace prospered, and everypony was happy. But peace ends unfortunately.

  • ...
5
 14
 920

Chapter 4

Reflection

Chapter Four

"We're going to let him down?" AR asked. The duo were at a local café in Canterlot, discussing their current case. "I mean, we come all the way from Manehatten to have another unsuccessful case? We made a promise Delta!"

"You made a promise," the purple pegasus replied. "I don't like it either, but unless we can find his files to prove that he's not a terrorist, our case runs on the word of civilians. You and I both know Princess Celestia will condemn him unless we also prove that he didn't murder Blueblood."

AR put his head in his hooves and groaned. "Why do our last cases seem so much easier right now?"

"Maybe because we know this stallion's innocent? There aren't any eyewitnesses that we know of and Blackjack wasn't anywhere near Blueblood when he fell. Something else is happening here...let's take a trip to the castle. Maybe we'll find more evidence there."

'-'

"Well he doesn't look any different," AR said, pointing at Blueblood's corpse. "Sprawled out on his stomach with a few broken bones. Dead as usual."

"Right," Delta replied. "But because he was pushed? I don't know. What's this powder around him?"

"Rosin," an analylist replied. "From a bow."

"The prince never played though."

"Yes, but as you know, the murderer was a violinist. After a long night of playing, he was bound to be covered in the rosin and by the looks of things, rubbed some off when he pushed the prince."

"Actually," AR said. "I don't think he was pushed." The stallion rolled the corpse over, a viollin bow sticking out of its chest. "Rather, he was stabbed with the killer's own bow."

"You didn't see this before?" Delta asked.

"N-no," the analylist replied. "His suit was covering it up."

"And yet you did not notice the blood on said suit?"

"I-I thought his bones had torn through his skin!"

"You're doing alot of thinking and not enough observing, aren't you? Take the bow back to your lab and get a DNA match on the hairs. If I'm right, this will be the key to our client's fate."

The analyist carefully took the bow out of the body and walked out in shame. "Step two," AR said. "Find his papers."

"That's where the hard part is," Delta replied. "Miss Sparkle claimed that Blackjack had papers. But we looked through our own database and there's nothing about him, not even a name. Let's head back to Ponyville and check town hall for anything."

'-'

"Certainly," Mayor Mare said. "I have the documents you're looking for." The three sat in the mayor's office, the mare going through various file cabinets. "Now let's see...Berry Punch...Blackberry Tart...Black Ice...aha! Here we are, Blackjack." She passed the file to the investigators, opening the folder.

"Blackjack the fiddler?" Delta asked. "What's his last name?"

"He doesn't have one," the mayor replied. "I thought you would know that sir."

"We're pretty much in the dark about this guy," AR said. "All we know is that he's been accused of the murder of Prince Blueblood."

"Everyone in Ponyville knows that. We're not too happy about it either. Heaven above! I honestly can't believe that Blackjack murdered! He's not a violent pony."

"That's why Delta and I are here. This file may be the only way we can prove Blackjack innocent. Provided it contains what we need, of course."

"I believe it does. Here's his birth certificate, document of citizenship, and a wedding license he had me keep until the lucky mare said yes."

"Wedding license?" Delta asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Yes. I think he said he was going to propose at the gala..."

Delta took a note and examined each document closely with AR. The birth certificate stated that he was twenty-five and was born in Appleoosa hospital, but the text was faded at some points and they could not read who his parents were.

The document of citizenship was dated correctly. The document was signed four years ago. The wedding license was recent and only needed one more signature to be complete.

"Is there anything else?" AR asked.

"No," the mayor replied. "Unfortunatly, this is all I have. You may have to check with your superiors-"

"They don't have anything," Delta said. "This is all new for us, besides his name being on the most wanted list."

"That's why he was arrested?"

"Along with being accused of murder."

"Hmm...well gentlecolts, I can assure you one thing."

"What would that be?"

"Even if you cannot find any solid evidence, know this: almost everyone in Ponyville either knows Blackjack or knows somepony who does. I assure you, if you ever need more than his friend's testimonies, the entire town will be willing to speak up."

"That's very kind of you, but I doubt a jury from Canterlot would be willing to bend to all those claims, even if they're true."

"There needs to be documented proof of his background," AR added. "Even if we find it...Celestia makes the final judgement. I don't think she'll condemn him, but if after seeing her face at the gala..."

"Well it wouldn't hurt to try," the mayor said. "Please, ask around town. You'll see what I'm talking about. You might want to stop by Sweet Apple Acres first."

"The place where that wonderful cider comes from?!?" AR asked excitedly.

"Yes. It's just outside of Ponyville. The Apple family lives there and they know Blackjack very well, especially Big Macintosh. He's the stallion's best friend."

"To Big Macintosh it is then," Delta said. "Thank you Mayor Mare."

"Of course! If you need anything else, please let me know!"

'-'

"So," AR said, plucking an apple from a tree. "Why do you think they call him Big Macintosh?"

"We'll find out soon enough," Delta replied. "Here comes somepony."

A teenage filly with a pink bow in her mane walked down the dirt path towards them. "Y'all lost?" She asked. "'Cause this here's private property."

"Our appologies," Delta said, showing his badge. "My name's Delta and he's my partner AR. We're private investigators. We need to ask the Apples a few questions."

"Why? We've never done anything 'gainst the law."

"You're an Apple?"

"'Course I am! Can't ya see the appleblossom on my flank?"

"Look kid-"

"The name's Applebloom."

"You get that additude from a local teenage dragon?!?"

"So what if I do?"

"Delta!" AR shouted, shoving his apple into the stallion's mouth. "Let me handle this okay?" Delta looked at him with steely eyes. AR bent over to become eye level with Applebloom.

"Look," he said. "I think you know why we're here. Now, don't say Blackjack's innocent-"

"But he is!"

"Shh...I know. We think he is too, but we need evidece. That's why we're here, because your family knows him so well, you can tell us about him and testify at the trial if needed. Now, may we come inside?"

She nodded her head, wiping away a tear. A bell rang and Applebloom smiled. "Y'all came just in time for lunch too. C'mon!"

The filly led them along the path, Delta eating the apple. "Well you're good with kids," he said. "Lucky you.

"That's because I'm sensitve," AR replied. "I also know when to quit."

Delta rolled his eyes. "Look who's talking."

They arrived at the house's front porch, Applebloom looking the Pegasi over. "Y'all don't have guns on you right?"

"Not presently," Delta replied. "Why?"

"No guns at the table, Grannie Smith's rule." She opened the door and shouted, "Hey y'all, can you get two more plates? We've got company!"

"I told you that Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo can't come over AB," a voice shouted back. "Tell 'em to go home!"

"This 'aint Sweetie and Scoot sis! I don't even know where they live!"

"Then why in tarnation did you bring strangers to the farm?!?"

"I didn't! The coppers just walked in!"

"Even more reason not to let them in! Listen here officers, we 'aint done nothing 'gainst the law, so scram!"

"Then I guess your friend will have you to thank for whatever happens," Delta calmly replied. "Not something pleasant, I imagine."

The shutters next to the door opened and three Earth Ponies stood with guns pointed at the stallions. "No guns at the table huh?" Delta asked. Applebloom giggled nervously.

"Now listen here," an orange mare said coldly. "You've got five seconds to give us a good reason why you're here or we'll shoot."

"Eeyup!" A red stallion exclaimed.

"Your time starts now," an elderly mare said as she cocked her pistol.

"Tell them AR," Delta said.

"We're here on behalf of Blackjack the Fiddler," the off-white stallion quickly said, showing his badge.

The three ponies stared slack-jawed. "Soup's on!" The green mare shouted, closing the shutters.

"They seem nice," AR half-joked. "Is your family always this hospitible?"

"I'm sorry," Applebloom replied. "Everypony in town's a bit wound tight since Blackjack got arrested."

"It's alright kid," Delta said. "We're used to this kind of treatment."

"C'mon in y'all," the orange mare said, standing in the doorway. "There's a meal waiting for you."

"Thank you!" AR replied, dashing inside.

Delta and Applebloom followed him in, the mare leading them to the table. "Sorry about that," the orange mare appoligized, setting two extra spots at the table. "The entire town's gone a bit crazy since, well, you know why."

"We understand," AR said. "We're starting to get a little crazy because of what happened too."

"Whatcha mean?"

"It's hard to make sense of what we have," Delta replied, he and AR sitting. "We were told that you are friends with our client. Is that true?"

"Eeyup," the red stallion said as he dished up plates. "'Specially me 'an BJ. We're closer than two seeds in an apple."

"You must be Big Macintosh."

"Eeyup. Y'all met Applebloom already. That's my sister Applejack and this is Grannie Smith."

"I'm Delta and this is my partner AR. Would you mind answering a few questions for us concerning Blackjack?"

Big Macintosh nodded, setting the table. He sat down along with his family and asked, "What'd y'all like to know?"

"How long have you known Blackjack?"

"Oh...'bout two 'an a half years now. I met 'im here at 'th farm when he was helping AJ buck apples."

"Could you both tell us about it?"

"Sure," Applejack said. "BJ and I were just finishing up..."

'-'

Two and a half years ago

Blackjack bucked once more, the apples all falling into a basket. "You know what AJ?" He asked, wiping his brow. "Sometimes I wish I didn't have black fur."

"And here I thought you were used to the sun," the mare giggled. "With living outside all your life, you ought to enjoy this kind of thing! Heck, yer just as country as me!"

"It doesn't make me any cooler in the sun though!" Blackjack chuckled, changing into his bipedal form and putting the heavy basket in one of the carts. "Now I might be country, but that doesn't mean I always use the grammar or stop complaining. Be glad your fur isn't as dark Applejack. You won't die of heatstroke."

"Be glad you have black fur BJ, 'cause y'all won't die of frostbite."

The two hitched themselves to their wagons and walked up the path to the barn. They grabbed a bottle of water out of an ice chest and drank their fill, Blackjack pouring the rest on his neck and torso after unhitching himself.

"Save some for later," Applejack laughed. "Or you'll die of thirst."

"I'd rather die thirsty than cool," he replied, helping her unhitch. "Besides, I told y'all 'bout my fur situation didn't I?"

"You also said you don't talk country."

"Hey, I don't see Twilight or Rarity around trying to make me speak grammaticly correct. I like loosen my tounge 'round here."

"Speaking of loosening," a voice shouted. The two looked up to see a red stallion hanging upside down by a rope caught on his hoof in the hay loft. "Y'all think you can get me down b'fore the blood in my leg is cut off?"

"Hang on big brother," Applejack shouted. "We're coming!" The two ran inside the barn and climbed the ladder to the hay loft. Together, they heaved the large stallion up and untied the rope.

"Thanks," he said. "I was starting to get dizzy."

"How'd you fall out anyway?" Applejack asked. "You're alot carefuller than that."

"I was cleaning up 'th hay when I stepped on a nail. I hopped backward a bit too far and fell out. Good thing one of the pullies had a rope on 'th ground and caught my leg huh?"

"Yep, sure is. Good thing we were close too."

"Is the nail stuck in your hoof?" Blackjack asked.

"Nope," the stallion replied. "You one 'o 'th farm-hooves? Never seen y'all before."

"Oh that's right," Applejack said. "Y'all havn't met b'fore have ya? Blackjack, this is my older brother Big Macintosh. 'Course we just call him Big Mac or Mac. This is Blackjack, a friend 'o mine. He offered to help out since one of the worker's out sick."

"Howdy," Blackjack grinned, shaking Big Mac's hand. "I can see why you're called big. How much do you lift on a daily basis?"

"Oh, 'bout two-hundred pounds. Yer not too little either are ya? Almost as big as me."

"Well, when you're lifting up boxes full of books and playing violin, it tends to add up."

"A fiddler huh? Oh yeah! I saw you and AJ at the Music Festival together. Pretty impressive, 'specialy since you beat my sis. I'm not too shabby at guitar m'self."

"Really? We'll have to do a jam session some time."

"Alright boys," Applejack said. "Three things. One: Blackjack won by just a little bit. Two: we need to get back to work and three: y'all are still shaking hands."

The stallions looked at their hands and quickly released each other's grasp. "Well this is awkward," Blackjack said.

"Eeyup," Big Mac replied. "I think all that needs to be done is painting 'th fence and plowing the Northern field. You can help me plow, Blackjack, 'an AJ-"

"Yeah yeah," the mare interrupted. "I'll be painting as usual. Try not to have too much fun without me boys."

'-'

"Y'all doing alright?" Big Mac asked.

"This is harder than it looks," Blackjack grunted, trying to plow at the other stallion's pace. "You've been doing this since you were a colt? You've got a strong will, I'll give you that."

"It's hard work, sure enough. But yer doing pretty good for a rookie."

"Thanks Mac. Is it alright if I call you that?"

The large stallion grinned. "Eeyup! All of my friends call me that. 'Course I like to call them a few nicknames m'self. That alright BJ?"

"We must be friends then, because we're saying each other's nicknames. That was almost as fast as when I became friends with Twilight."

"How is she anyway? It's been a long time since I've seen her. Don't get a chance to go out and enjoy m'self that often, with all this work."

"We should go to a bar sometime, whenever you're free. But yeah, she's doing good. She's busy as ever, I'll tell you that. That mare just loves taking advantage of having a stallion to lift all the heavy things."

"That's right. Y'all said you worked at the library."

"I live there too. She was kind enough to let me in when I was out on the streets."

Big Mac stopped plowing and looked at Blackjack curiously. "Ya live with her?"

"Yeah," Blackjack stopped, wondering about his friend's tone. "I havn't stolen from her if that's what you're saying."

"No, that 'aint it. Y'all aren't sharing a bed are ya?"

"No! I sleep in the basement Mac, gosh! Why'd you ask?"

"Just wondering. Wanted to know if y'all are taking advantage of living with a mare. Otherwise I'd have to tan yer hide."

"Now listen, I'd never do that to her, or any mare. I don't think she likes me like that anyway."

"I didn't mean to insult you, just trying to keep my friends safe."

"Aren't we all? No it's alright Mac, I understand."

The two continued plowing in silence for a while and were on their way back when the farm-stallion asked, "But you'd like to have her as a filly-friend?"

"Well, yeah," Blackjack replied. "But like I said, I don't think she likes me the way I like her."

"Ask her out then. It 'aint that hard."

"W-what?" Blackjack stuttered.

"Yeah, ask the filly on a date. You said you'd like to."

"W-well let me t-tell you something Mac! It might be surprising, but I'm shy!"

"Same here, I don't say much in public. But that don't stop me from talking to ponies."

"Really? Have you ever asked a mare on a date before?"

Big Mac smiled sheepishly. "Nope. Tell you 'th truth, I'm at the same predicament with a mare I like."

"Exactly. We're both hopeless. Now come on and help me plow this field!"

'-'

"Interesting," Delta said, taking a note. "So that's how you two became friends?"

"Eeyup," Big Mac replied. "Got closer ever since. We've proved it several times over too."

"Did you ever see Blackjack physically harm someone?"

"Just once, but that was in defence of me 'an Fluttershy, my filly-friend. He didn't do anything permanent and he tried to reason with them. They threw the first punch."

"Tell us about it if you would."

'-'

One year ago

"Well look who got some free time!" Blackjack laughed, hugging Big Mac. "Fancy meeting you here! What did you do, have Applebloom do everything that was left?"

"Eeyup," the stallion replied, taking a swig of cider. "Tricked a few of the workers into doing my chores too."

The two were in a local club enjoying themselves. Music was playing loudly and several ponies were dancing along to it. "Well look who it is," Blackjack said, pointing at a trio of mares that had just walked in. "Hey AJ!" Blackjack said. "Fluttershy, Dash. What're y'all doing out?"

"Well I for one am here to say Mac's in trouble," Applejack said. "Rainbow Dash wants to have a good time, as usual, and we convinced Fluttershy to come because she's never been here before."

"Who's taking care of the animals then?"

"Spike is," Fluttershy replied. "He's getting good at it too."

"Well it's nice to see you guys," Rainbow Dash yawned. "If you need me, I'll be partying."

The Pegasus flew off, the other mares following her. Blackjack snapped his fingers, bringing Big Mac back to reality. "What?" Mac asked.

"Don't pretend you don't know," Blackjack replied. "I saw the way you looked at Fluttershy. She'd a good love interest for you buddy."

"Cut it out BJ," the farm-stallion blushed, pushing his friend slightly. "Or we'll start talking about your love interest."

"C'mon Mac, I'm teasing you. Besides, I'm serious. Ask her to dance with you."

"Nope."

"Mac, she's sitting all alone. I think a few stallions are noticing too."

"Alright fine! But I'm blaming you if she says no."

"Get going!" Blackjack took his friend's drink and pushed him forward. Big Macintosh nervously walked towards the table Fluttershy was sitting at, trying to act casual. "C'mon Mac," Blackjack whispered. "Ask her to dance."

Blackjack noticed the mare's head nod and he jumped excitedly as the two danced. "Ada boy Mac!" He took a swig of cider, chuckling at the rediculously sized stallion trying to keep up with the much smaller mare.

"Well lookie there," Applejack laughed, joining Blackjack and clapping him on the shoulder. "I suppose you convinced him to be the stallion he is?"

"Mule's more like it, AJ. But with enough of a push, you can see the results. Woah! Okay then!"

"What?"

"I'm pretty sure Fluttershy just goosed Mac."

"Excuse me," the orange mare took a swig of cider. "Say that again." She began chugging her glass.

"I'm pretty sure Fluttershy just goosed Mac."

Applejack spewed her drink out. "That's what I thought you said. Well, seems like she wanted my brother even more than I thought."

"She wanted him? Looks like they'll both be happy in that case."

The red stallion and yellow mare stopped dancing and headed over to their friends, hand in hand. "Well BJ," Mac said. "I guess I've got you to thank for this."

"Yep," the stallion replied, smiling. "Are you guys done dancing?"

"Eeyup. I'm 'gon take Fluttershy home."

"Oh c'mon guys, have a drink, stay a while. The night's still young."

"I really need to go. Spike needs to go home," Fluttershy said. "Um, where's Rainbow Dash?"

A stallion flew over their heads, crashing into a table. They looked the way he had come from, seeing Rainbow Dash hovering clumsilly in the air.

"I warned you," she slurred. "Don't mess with me!" She took a long drink and crashed on to a table.

"You guys go ahead," Blackjack grinned. "AJ and I'll see if we can't get Dash sober enough to go home."

Big Macintosh nodded, taking the mare out of the club. Blackjack and his cow-pony friend attempted to get Rainbow Dash on her hooves, but to no avail. "Looks like we'll be carrying her," Applejack said. "C'mon BJ, let's take her home." Together, they picked the mumbling mare up and dragged her out.

'-'

Big Macintosh and Fluttershy walked hand in hand through Ponyville's lamp-lit streets. "So you've been taking care of animals for how long now?" Big Mac asked.

"Eight years," Fluttershy replied. "At least here, in Ponyville. I've been caring for animals ever since I got my cutie mark."

"How 'bout that...if it's not too personal, how did you get yer mark?"

"Well, Rainbow Dash was about to race these colts who were being mean to me. When I waved the flag, the wind pushed me off the clouds and I was saved by butterflys. They set me down on the ground and I was able to convince the animals that I wasn't scary. That's how I got my cutie mark."

"Huh. That's not what I figured."

"What do you mean?"

The red stallion chuckled. "I knew you were great at talking to animals, but those butterflys on yer flank made me think. My pa once told me butterflys were always out looking for flowers prettier than they had just landed on. That's how I thought you got yer mark...because animals, especially butterflys...think you're-"

"Well isn't that cute," a voice slurred voice said. "Big Red's got a filly-friend." A black stallion emerged from the shadows along with a blue Earth Pony and a brown Unicorn.

"Blackjack?" Big Mac asked.

"The librarian?" The stallion laughed, punching Mac in the gut. The farm-pony collapsed, the wind being knocked out of him. "The fiddler? Sorry big guy, he's not around." The stallion snapped his fingers and his two goons picked Big Mac up and held him in place.

"The name's Black Ice numbskull! Heard of me?" He lit a cigarette, blowing the thick smoke in Big Mac's face.

"Can't...say...I have," the stallion coughed. "You look like a Smokey."

"Ohhh!" The black stallion laughed, his goons joining in. "Red's got jokes! I've got a joke for you, big guy...what's black, blue, and red all over? Well, here's the punch line!" He punched Big Mac in the jaw and twice in the gut again. The stallions holding him let go and the black one kicked him in the stomach.

"Stop it!" Fluttershy yelled. "Please stop!"

Black Ice snapped his fingers and the other two picked Mac up again. He turned around, smiling. "Well hello there babe," he said, fixing his jacket. "What's a filly like you doing with a chump like him?"

"I-I-I...He was taking me home."

"Really? Well, how 'bout you forget the big guy and we'll go back to my place," he leaned in close to the mare, putting his arm on the wall. "How's that sound?"

All Fluttershy could do was wimper. "Or we could do this here and now," the stallion continued. "What do you think boys?" His goons laughed.

"No! You leave us alone and go back to the bar you came out of," Fluttershy was using The Stare now, glaring at the stallions. "It's stallions like you that cause so much pain to others!"

"Ooh feisty," Black Ice said. "Tell you what, we'll let Red go if you and I have a bit of time together. Deal?"

"No deal!"

"Babe," the stallion whispered, putting the flat of a switch blade on her cheek. "I don't think you've got much of a choice." He grabbed her, laying his lips on her throat.

"Black...jack," Big Mac wheezed.

"I told you I'm not that pushover, you numbskull!"

"But I am," Blackjack said, coming into the light. "There's streangth in being a pacifist pal. Would you mind explaining why you're beating my best friend and assaulting a former General of Equestria?"

The other black stallion put his knife to Fluttershy's throat. "I don't see any medals on her," he said. "Besides, what're you 'gonna do, call the police?"

"Not yet," Applejack said, joining Blackjack. "I'm going to make this a family matter." Her eyes were feiry and her body was tense, ready for a fight. "You picked on the wrong family, you drunk colt!"

"Red here isn't in any position to help and I doubt our 'General' here can. Besides, there's three of us and only two of you."

"Guess again," Rainbow Dash said, hovering in the air. "The orange mare and I also happen to be former Generals ourselves."

"Ice," the brown stallion said. "That's the mare that hit Dusty!"

"So she is," the stallion replied. "Alright boys and girls, if you take one more step, I might get nervous." He brought his knife closer to Fluttershy. "Get the picture?"

Blackjack raised an eyebrow. "Are you sure hurting her is a good choice?"

"You trying to mess with my head fiddler?"

"No, I just want you to consider the consequences. First, you're already going to be charged with assault, so that's at least a year in prison. Secondly, you're going to be charged with murder or attempted murder if that knife cuts my friend's jugular. That can be life sentence or execution."

"And your point is?"

"You can only be charged if we tell the police."

"You're right..."

"Yo Ice," a stallion said. "These ponies giving you trouble?"

"Dusty! Took you long enough."

"I got knocked out by the babe with the rainbow-colored mane. I was also telling the rest of the boys about it." Two Diamond Dogs grabbed Applejack from behind and two Griffons did the same to Rainbow Dash.

Black Ice began to laugh. "That's my boy! So fiddler, looks like you're all alone. That's too bad. Dusty! Take care of him for me."

"You got it Ice," the grey Pegasus replied, cracking his knuckles. He got into a fighting stance, advancing towards Blackjack. "Let's see what you got book worm."

"Can't we talk about this?" Blackjack asked, ducking under a right hook. "I'm not going to fight you."

"Then that means more fun for me!" Dusty's fist landed on Blackjack's left eye and he punched left and right, on his face and body. The stallion drove Blackjack to the wall, beating him senseless. He drove his fist into Blackjack's gut repeatedly and the black stallion fell to the ground. He turned around, smiling.

Blackjack spit on him. Dusty whirled around, touching his neck and examining the bloodied spit. "That's a death sentence pal," he snarled. "You're going down!" One of the Griffons yelled in pain as Rainbow Dash bit him. She freed herself from the other one and swooped down at the Pegasus, tackling him.

Applejack stomped her hooves down on her captor's paws and helped Blackjack sit up. "Thanks," he said, trying to stand. "I'm alright...I think."

"Stay down BJ," she replied. "You need to rest. We'll take care of these thugs."

"Get them!" Black Ice yelled. His goons begain to fight; the ones holding Big Mac were knocked out however, because he had slipped out of their grip and knocked their heads together. He helped Applejack with the two Diamond Dogs, the mare jumping up and kicking one of the mutts' snout with a sickening crack.

"A little help here," Rainbow Dash yelled. Dusty and the two Griffons were chasing her through the air and she was doing her best to keep them away from the wounded Blackjack and Big Mac. "Get your rope AJ!"

"You got it RD!" Applejack shouted. She untied the rope from her belt loop and knotted it, forming a lasso. "Two hog-tied Griffons coming up," she continued, twirling her lasso. "Just keep 'em still for me!"

"I'm trying!" She hovered in the air, the two Griffons darting towards her. "Now Applejack!" She dropped down and the orange mare's lasso roped around the goons, smacking them into each other. They fell like dead weight and Applejack tied them together.

Big Mac kept the Diamond dogs away from Blackjack, changing to his pony form and bucking a dog in the chest. He flew backwards onto the Griffons, the three knocked out cold. The other dog dug his fangs into the stallion's forleg and shook him like a rag doll. Mac cried in pain, kicking the mutt repeatedly.

Rainbow Dash and Applejack jumped onto the dog's back, forcing his mouth open. He turned around, finding the two mares frowning at him. He smiled sheepishly and together, the ponies kncoked him out.

"Just like old times," Rainbow said, clapping her friend on the shoulder. "Don't you think?"

"Yep," Applejack replied. "Except we were armed then."

"Girls," Big Mac interrupted. "I'm bleeding over here."

Applejack pulled a bandana out of her pocket and tied it around her brother's leg. "Alright you good for nothing stallion," she said, turning to face Black Ice. "Let Fluttershy go right now!"

"Hmm," he replied. "Let me think...no! Dusty!"

The stallion landed next to him. "Yeah?" Dusty asked.

"Take my knife and run Red through would ya?" He gave his goon the blade and the Pegasus smiled.

"You'll have to get through us first!" Rainbow yelled, getting in a fighting stance. Applejack did the same.

"No," Blackjack said. He shakilly got to his hooves and stood protectively inbetween Dusty and the mares. "This is my fight."

"So the fiddler decides to fight," Dusty laughed. "I giving up your pacifism so early?"

"No. I am a pacifist because I have seen what fighting can do to ponies. I do not wish to fight you, but I will defend myself and my friends from harm." He got into a fighting stance and he narrowed his eyes, focusing.

Dusty frowned and the two began to circle. Dusty thrust the knife at Blackjack, who moved out of the way. While the Pegasus was vulnerable, Blackjack grabbed his arm and punched his wrist, making Dusty drop the knife. Blackjack kicked it out of the way and ducked under a right hook.

As he came back up, Blackjack delivered an uppercut to the stallion's jaw. Dusty backed up and massaged his jaw, looking at the black stallion with hate. He charged, throwing punches at Blackjack. He took a few, then countered with a body shot. Blackjack drove Dusty back, breaking hia nose with a quick jab.

The black stallion punched left, right, and ducked under another punch. He rose up, jabbed twice and delivered another uppercut. Dusty fell back, knocked out. Blackjack turned around and gasped. Black Ice cocked his pistol, pointing it at Big Mac.

"Nice knowing you Red," he grinned. "Rest in peace!"

He fired. Blackjack fell in front of his friend. "Blackjack!" Big Mac yelled, checking on the stallion. He looked at Black Ice in hate, trembeling in anger. "Why you son of a mule!" He rose and advanced towards the stallion, changing into his bipedal form.

Fluttershy bit her captor and flipped him over. He landed hard on his back and the mare punched him, knocking him out. "That's why I'm a General," she said. "Sorry about that." She ran to Big Macintosh and hugged him. "Are you okay?"

"We're fine," the stallion replied. "But we need to take Blackjack to the hospital."