• Published 3rd Dec 2019
  • 3,294 Views, 121 Comments

The Friendship of Evil Grows - Zizi Tachyon



After Grogar's defeat, Cozy Glow and Tirek travel together to the land of centaurs with the hope to learn about friendship.

  • ...
5
 121
 3,294

Fifth Chapter - Corruption

Chrysalis couldn't fully remember what happened before she was knocked out. They had betrayed Grogar and taken him on in a three-versus-one, using the power of the Bewitching Bell for themselves. The last thing she could recall was the warlock ram taking the Bell back, and being frozen in place. She was frustratingly aware that more had transpired between then and her black-out, but she just couldn't retrieve those memories from her befuddled psyche. When she came by she heard a raspy, female voice; clearly not that of Tirek or Cozy Glow.

"Chrysalis? Is everything alright?"

She could hear that the one asking was standing right beside her, but it felt more as if she was being called from a distance.

"Uhm, Queen Chrysalis?" another, softer voice spoke.

She realized it was the voice of a pony and immediately remembered the evil trio hadn't fought by themselves: after their conspiracy had been crushed by Grogar's unparallelled power they were forced to work together with the ponies—the ones they had set out to defeat before turning on him. If these were their voices then Grogar must have been defeated. Did the ponies somehow manage to beat him? No, his magic was much to strong and without the Elements of Harmony they stood no chance. That means it was she and her co-conspirators who defeated Grogar! But where were Tirek and Cozy Glow?

Chrysalis got up on her legs with considerable effort and saw that, indeed, a small pack of ponies stood by her. They looked no less worn down than she. She quickly looked around, expecting to find her allies somewhere in the field. But aside from them, there was nopony to be found in the area.

"Thank Celestia you are okay!" the one with the white coat exclaimed with genuine concern.

"Careful now sugarcube, we'll get you fixed up."

"Where's the centaur? Where's the filly? Tell me," she demanded, completely ignoring the words of relief that would under any other circumstance have been to her surprise.

"They went with Twilight. They're heading for Ponyville." The one speaking to her was Starlight Glimmer.

A sudden rush of resentment overtook Chrysalis. She cast an infernal gaze upon the unicorn, to which she flinched in horror.

"They've left me behind!" she cried out upon realization.

Starlight froze in fear, stammering, "No! Well, er, yes but it isn't want it seems like. You see, when we found them after the battle—"

"They are going to be the next in your series of 'redemptions', aren't they? They have been very well-behaved and now they can join your little club. And I am simply to be forsaken!"

"Not at all, you can come with us," Starlight said, desperately looking for words to best explain the situation to the furious, misunderstanding Changeling queen.

"Oh, is that so? Ha!" she laughed in her face. "Preposterous! Haven't you taken enough from me yet?"

"Chrysalis please think about it! If you just come with us you can return to the Hive!"

"Won’t you just quit already? You haven't just taken them away from me, you've bastardized them. The fact that you are promising the same fate to me is astounding. I shall never yield to your pathetic pleas. I shall have my revenge, I shall crush all of you, but you, Starlight Glimmer, you I shall devour!"

Starlight Glimmer let out a mortal shriek as the Changeling Queen leapt towards her with exposed fangs, but the assailant's movements were sluggish and she was intercepted in mid-air by Applejack's lasso, which had tied itself to one of her hind legs. Chrysalis dropped to the floor and let out an extended, thrilling groan of her own. Looking up, they saw the ponies had dashed to Starlight’s aid. They looked at her varyingly with anger, shock, and disappointment.

"You haven't seen the worst of me yet! Mark my words!"

Consumed by rage she shot up, spread her insect wings and flew off, leaving the ponies to console the sobbing unicorn.


"Lord Tirek and Cozy Glow! You were nothing more than the others who have abandoned me. My hive, my clones, and now you too. After all that we went through, you run off with the ponies and leave me to fend for myself. To think I had finally found faithful allies. To Tartarus with you! I won't need you two any longer. All the preparations are in place. Soon I will get back all that is rightfully mine, and I will destroy those who oppose me!"

Chrysalis had fallen into one of her delirious monologues. She found herself in Grogar's lair, to which she had fled after the battle. She had become very familiar with the place, but with the permanent absence of Grogar, as well of her allies, it had lost both its dread and its warmth. Before her lay a log of wood with a distinct lavender color—the remnants of Mean Twilight Sparkle, the savvy clone of Twilight that she used to take control of the Elements Of Harmony. Back when she worked under Grogar she had experimented and tried to resurrect her, but the spell with which the Tree of Harmony had sealed the antagonistic spirit inside the wooden vessel proved too powerful to undo, it held unyieldingly even after the Tree had perished for several moons. But after her hasty refuge to the former headquarters, she found that the seal had significantly weakened. Even then, her incantations had too little effect. It wasn't until now that Chrysalis finally had the magical prowess to break through it.

With considerable effort she cast a bright emerald beam at the log. Upon contact it glowed and began to twitch and rumble and then, in quite an unnatural fashion, it started to grow. It sprouted branches from its sides, and slowly became thicker; it was assuming the crude shape of a pony. With a blinding flash the process was complete and on the floor now lay Mean Twilight, unconscious yet already frowning.

Chrysalis let her lie there like that for a moment. The alicorn let out a groan, stood up, and opened her eyes. She cast two glances at the area around her and saw Chrysalis. Despite having been awakened from her slumber just a few seconds ago, her gaze was keen and wicked.

"You've brought me back."

"Indeed I have," Chrysalis proclaimed with immediate fury, "I need you for something else. But I haven't forgotten about how you betrayed me before."

Her horn lit up: she was going to cast another spell. Mean Twilight braced herself, ready to reflect the oncoming beam. But no such thing happened; instead, she felt an acute pain in her head, as if her skull was being split by an axe. She groaned in pain and collapsed onto the ground.

"Hnng! What is this? What are you doing to me?"

"This is just a little mind control spell to make sure that doesn't happen again. If you're done writhing we can continue."

Mean Twilight's migraine soon went away. She got back on her hooves without saying a word but looked at Chrysalis with piercing eyes. Just like the spell she used on Shining Armor, it didn't actually control her mind—at least, not yet—but rather induced headache and numbness whenever she defied her. Chrysalis ignored her struggle, holding her head high with an air of majestic authority.

"The reason I have brought you back is because I need your help with a spell. May I take it that you are as good with magic as the real Twilight Sparkle?"

"I'm better at magic than my döppelganger. I possess Twilight's body of magical knowledge, in that respect we are equals. However, unlike her I am not restrained by the ethical concerns prohibit the practices of dark magic that any grand wizard should be a master of."

Chrysalis smirked. "Very well. Let me put that knowledge of yours up to the test. Can you tell me what this is?"

Out of one of the corners of the hideout, an object enveloped in Chrysalis's green aura came floating in. It landed gently on the table. Mean Twilight examined it from up close. It was a small metal shard with the dull color of copper oxide. It was undoubtedly ancient, possibly as old as ponykind itself, but the artifact that it belonged to had only recently been shattered, as indicated by the gleaming, torn edges. And while it was as good as harmless now, she sensed the remnants of an awesome magical potential.

"You don't know?" Chrysalis asked indignantly. "I expected as much; the original Twilight didn't think it to be real either. This is a piece of Grogar's Bell."

"You mean the Bewitching Bell? The legendary item with which he created monsters and conquered Equestria?" She almost stammered in awe in the presence of the hallowed magical relic.

"Recently Grogar had returned. Me and my accomplices stole it from him, but he found out about it. I shall spare you the details. We defeated Grogar but the Bell was shattered, and with it almost all of its power was lost. This small piece is all I could salvage. It still possesses a sliver of magic. I suppose I won't need to compel you to study it and to master the magic for yourself."

"You certainly won't, my Queen." Mean Twilight picked up the piece and as she did she felt its power resonate with her own. She sensed a dreadful energy, shrieking, wailing, crying to be used by her. "I will study its power with pleasure, but explain to me what you will use it for."

"Fair enough, I will tell you," Chrysalis spoke, assured that she had full control over the clone and the powers she bestowed upon her thanks to the mind control spell. "After I had been cast out of my hive, Thorax"—she spat out his name as if it were poison—"the leader of the rebels, took control and under his reign my minions have been turned into a pathetic race. But with this artifact we will restore the Hive's glory. The magic of the Bewitching Bell has a corrupting effect: use it on a 'reformed' Changeling and he will get his old form back."

"May I test out this power at once?" Mean Twilight spoke eagerly.

"Go right ahead, I would love to see what you are capable of."

Chrysalis picked a flower from the swamp just outside of the hideout and put it down beside the shard on the table.

"Try using it on this."

Mean Twilight didn’t waste any time initiating the experiment. Her horn lit up with a murky purple and she picked up the shard again. Closing her eyes, she fell into a deep concentration. A minute passed in full silence without the slightest stir. Chrysalis had begun thinking the effort was in vain when she noticed that the aura on the döppelganger's horn flickered in color: it pulsated between purple and a new pitch black. The alicorn clone began breathing more heavily as the tip of her horn produced yellow sparks. The sparks liquefied and blended with the aura, driving out the last whiffs of purple. Not longer being able to contain the monstrous power, she pointed her horn at the flower. Then suddenly—prematurely—the magic was discharged in a bright yellow-black flash that hurled the caster against the wall. The noise that accompanied it didn't resemble the tolling of a bell, but rather a hammer striking an anvil or the breaking of glass.

Mean Twilight immediately got back up on her hooves. The blow had dazed her only slightly. In fact, the look in her eyes was even more vicious than before. Chrysalis examined the flower that was still lying on the table. It had withered: its petals were dry and dull and the stem, which was tainted brown, had turned flabby. It was a perfect, small-scale representation of Grogar’s prowess.

"Not bad for a first attempt," she said indifferently.

"I have two observations," Mean Twilight said. "Firstly, the magic inside the artifact is entirely unextractable. Whatever spell was cast upon it, it has irrevocably sealed the power within. But though this power cannot be extracted, it can still be imitated, as I just did. Secondly, although it is obvious, the power of the Bewitching Bell is extremely unstable. My thesis is that the Bewitching Bell acted not only as a vessel for the magic, but also as a moderator. Without the Bell, this magic requires the utmost concentration to wield and is unfit for combat and other highly dynamic situations."

Chrysalis listened attentively; she was concerned about the latter remark. "Do you have a solution for that?"

Mean Twilight smirked. "I will need the other Mean Six. The Element of Magic is the strongest when supplemented by the other Elements, and the same holds true for us. With their assistance a blitz attack is viable yet."

"Those lousy wooden copyponies cause more harm than good. I shall put up with them not even a second more than I absolutely need to."

"Very well then, you can resurrect them when we commence our attack. I will study its power by myself. It will slightly affect our chances at success, of course I propose the following approach: using your transformation powers and my likeness to the Princess of Friendship we will infiltrate the Hive and take out its leaders. From thence taking out the drones will be a trivial matter and you will rule once more over your corrupted underlings."

"What are you talking about?!" Chrysalis snapped, struck by a sudden coldness.

"About your form, my Queen. It is a product of the Bewitching Bell."

"How do you know?"

"Isn't it obvious? You have already given me all the clues to infer the fact." She spoke even more well-articulated than usual, as if to stab the breathless Changeling queen with every word. "You are relying on me to harness the power of a single fragment of the Bewitching Bell, an artifact belonging to Grogar, the Father of Monsters, who is known to have created many of Equestria's frightening beasts. To think he created the Changelings is therefore no stretch. Additionally, the fact that Changelings have a 'light' nature deep within them suggests they were corrupted rather than created that way, and Grogar has been said to create new beasts from existing creatures. As to why you didn't call on me before, but instead set out to find the Tree of Harmony: it can only be that you've learned of it recently. It is only logical that Grogar, whom you have met personally, related to you that he is in fact your progenitor."

"Enough, silence!" Chrysalis furiously interrupted Mean Twilight's dissertation. The latter immediately ceased talking; she knew she was treading on the edge of Chrysalis's sanity and was all but asking to be smited by that mind control spell again. She let her respond.

"It doesn't matter what happened thousands of years ago; I have always been like this, just like the Queen before me and the Queen before her. As far as history goes, the Changeling Hive has been a dark force that inspires fear in its enemies. I cannot be the deviation, I am myself, I am natural and all I want is to return my Hive to their original form. Thorax has made them weak and pathetic; how can that be natural? Weakness only persists if there is artificial element to keep it in existence. But under me they will be strong! But they still know what it was like; how we grew to be Equestria's greatest threat, successfully infiltrated Canterlot and defeated the Princesses. When we have turned them back to their old forms, they shall understand the error in their ways! They shall detest that ridiculous mutant appearance that has been imposed upon them by Starlight Glimmer. She shall be hated more passionately by them than by myself!"

Chrysalis could feel her blood boiling. She shouted her echoing words into the room, almost forgetting about the presence of Mean Twilight, who was still listening in total silence. A thin, satisfactory smirk had grown on her features.

"And you," she said as she turned to the clone, "what do you think you're doing, bringing up my past?"

"Forgive me, I meant no offense." She picked up the wilted flower, examined it complacently and then began slowly picking off the shriveled petals, scattering them on the ground. "I have no intention to jeopardize my own goals, which are to be reunited with the other Elements, to develop arcane magic and to spread disharmony. I cannot operate as long as I'm bound to the spell you put me under. Be aware I share your sentiment, for I myself am a superior form of another individual. Only by defeating them can we truly triumph. I don't just help you because I must; I insist on it."

Mean Twilight's words were seductive and intoxicating and their sweetness nourished Chrysalis's lust for revenge, but at the same time aroused nausea and an urge to wince in revulsion.

"Do not think I trust you one bit. You will remain under my control."

"That is an acceptable condition. If you excuse me, I will continue studying the power of the Bewitching Bell." She tossed the featureless stem away and collected the shard of the Bell that had fallen onto the ground.

"Very well, then I shall retrieve the remains of the other Mean Six."

"Farewell, my Queen," Mean Twilight spoke absent-mindedly as Chrysalis spread her wings and fluttered out of the hideout, out of earshot. "Do not fail me."