• Published 26th Nov 2019
  • 981 Views, 17 Comments

Frozen Friendship - Melody Song



Fleetfoot discovers ancient magic beyond her wildest dreams....within herself

  • ...
0
 17
 981

Life Beneath the Snow

Spitfire was pacing around in her office the following afternoon. Rainbow and Soarin were standing nearby, worry for their friend clear on their faces. Suddenly, a stallion Soarin and Spitfire recognized burst in.

"Dark Shooter?" Spitfire asked.

"Where's Fleetfoot? I need to talk to her." Dark Shooter said

"She's not here. Why?" Spitfire said

"I got her letter. I needed to respond to it in pony, but I couldn't get off work until now." Dark Shooter replied

"Who are you?" Rainbow asked

"Oh, Rainbow, this is Dark Shooter, Fleetfoot's older brother. He works as one of Princess Luna's Night Guards." Soarin told her.

"What letter?" Spitfire asked

"The one about finding her ice powers. She asked me if I knew anything, and I do. But I thought I should tell her in pony." Dark Shooter replied

"That would be okay, but she's not here." Spitfire sighed "She ran away yesterday evening, and we haven't been able to find her. Rainbow and Soarin made me stop searching last night. I sent the 'bolts out again this morning, but still no luck."

"That's not good." Dark Shooter sighed "But I think I know where she might be."

"Then tell us!" Spitfire shouted

"Calm down Spits, we'll find her." Soarin tried to calm her. Spitfire sighed, rubbing her forehead.

"I'm sorry Dark, I just...I miss her." Spitfire murmured

"Don't worry about it, now come on." Dark Shooter led them outside, into the sky.

"So, where are we going?" Rainbow asked

"The magic has the tendency to sort of pull it's bearers to the North. If Fleetfoot was too scared to think for herself, then her instincts would have taken over and drawn her there. Since she only just got her magic, she hasn't gotten enough control to block these instincts, the way our mother can."

"Your mom, do you know what she does to Fleet?" Spitfire asked

"Of course I do, I saw everything they did to her. I wanted to take her with me when I turned sixteen, but then I was offered a position as a Royal Guard. Fleetfoot convinced me to leave her behind. She knew that you two would protect her, without needing to know what was going on." Dark Shooter replied, nodding to Spitfire and Soarin.

"She really trusted you guys." Rainbow said

"All the more reason we have to find her." Spitfire responded


Fleetfoot was making piles of the snow with her magic, she was getting pretty good at making things move, besides ice. When she lifted a new clump of snow, a flower lifted up from underneath. It had been buried beneath the snow.

"There'th life here." Fleetfoot murmured, brushing the snow off the flower and lifting up the blossom. "Huh, it'th one I've never theen before, but I'd better leave it be." Fleetfoot put it back and continued making snow sculptures.

A snow hare suddenly jumped out of the snow, shaking the white flakes off it's ears. It's nose twitched and it hopped away.

"I can't believe tho much life can thurvive here." Fleetfoot murmured, watching the rabbit's progress.

"Underneath the snow
Through the frozen drifts

Life still finds a way to bloom
For through all the blank scenery

Nature still calls through her sleep
And in her dreams the world grows cold

To embrace the ice and snow
And regrow the earth for sunnier days

For the colder the Winter
The warmer the new Spring will be"

Fleetfoot took off and sang, the snow following her.

"The deeper wounds run
The more hearts find a way to sing

For even when it's hard to look past the cold
There is life beneath the snow."

Fleetfoot flew into the clouds as it began to snow over the mountain, imagining it was water pouring onto her body instead.

"And after the rain
The sun shines brighter than before

After all the pain I've gone through
My heart still knows how to soar!"

Fleetfoot didn't know it, but her singing was attracting the attention of some ponies nearby.

"It's once we're out of the dark
That we learn how to see

From embracing the shadows of our misery
That's where we find the greatest glee

The silence is where
The best songs come to be

And all we dream
Waits somewhere beyond

The Life beneath the snow
Life beneath

The snow~"

Fleetfoot finished her song, landing in the snowdrifts. She smiled and began digging in the snow, just for the fun of it.


"That was Fleetfoot! I'd know her voice anywhere!" Spitfire called to the others through the wind.

"How do we know which direction it came from? The snow's falling fast, we won't be able to see much longer." Soarin asked.

"I think I know a way. But we need to get as close as we can so she can hear me." Dark Shooter responded, leading them forward.

"I think the singing came from over here." Rainbow said helpfully, pointing to the left of them. The group flew in that direction, landing due to the snow.

Author's Note:

So, I'm going to put this out here today because tomorrow is unlucky. I don't believe in superstitions but I have something important to do tomorrow and I'm not taking any chances.

~Melody Song