• Published 11th Nov 2019
  • 2,261 Views, 131 Comments

Rise Of the Dragon Queen - Mystic Sunrise



A new power is rising on Equus. And five ponies stand at the center of it.

  • ...
30
 131
 2,261

The Dream Song, Call of The Orbs

Twilight Sparkle was flying, and it was the greatest feeling in the world. This must have been how Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy felt when they flew every day.

Mountains, rivers, plains, and cities passed beneath as she soared over Equestria on powerful wings. Her whole body thrummed with power. And she wasn't alone.

All around her Twilight felt others fly with her, four of them. Four she loved more than she had anypony else. Why she thought of it like that she didn't know, but it felt right all the same And she knew they felt the same for her.

Even though she couldn't see them at the moment, Twilight never wanted to be separated from the four around her, a feeling they all shared. Just as the thought crossed her mind though, a bright light filled her vision and the feeling of togetherness began to fade.

Terrified now, Twilight tried to reach out to her sisters, to hold onto that feeling. They reached out for her as well, but the distance grew to great and they passed just out of reach. Just before her vision faded completely, she heard them call out to her, loud and clear.

"We will find you. We will all be together again, forever."


With a start, Twilight awoke in her bed of the Golden Oaks Library. Outside it was still nighttime. Her clock read 2 am.

For a moment, she tried to catch her breath. She was glad Spike was staying with the Cutie Mark Crusaders tonight. She didn't want to have to explain her dream just yet.

But why did it feel like so much more than that? Why did it hurt so much? Like she was missing pieces of herself. It didn't make any sense. And Twilight hated when things didn't make any sense. Except for Pinkie Pie. But that was a battle she had given up on months ago.

But this. This was different. It felt like she was waiting for something now. Four of them. And once they had all come together, it would all make sense. To all of them.

Or at least that's what Twilight hoped for anyway as she settled back down onto her pillow. She loved a good mystery.

Smiling, Twilight soon passed into the same dream again, hopes high for whatever the future might bring.


Princess Luna, for the first time in a long time, had no idea of what she was looking at. So much so in fact that she had dragged her sister into the Dream Realm with her.

Princess Celestia didn't understand it much either. But one thing that she did know concerned her deeply. "This is Twilight's subconscious," she said as she looked at the orb before them, her frown deepening. "But this magic. It is not like any I have ever seen before."

Luna frowned as well at this. "And you have known Twilight Sparkle since she was a filly. Has she ever done this before?"

Celestia shook her head. "No. And I cannot think of why she would start now."

As she finished, Twilight's subconscious pulsed, a wave flowing outward in every direction. It was rather pleasant a feeling as it passed through the sisters. A moment later, another pulse came toward them. As it struck Twilight's form, she wiggled excitedly before another pulse flowed out from her.

This time though, there was a faint song to it. Timid at first and unformed, it started small, unfocused, needing to join with another to be complete. As another pulse came to it, it began to form into something new, something that promised wonder and beauty when complete. This went on for some time, the song becoming louder and more focused as it went along.

Celestia smiled. "They're singing to each other. Like whale song, they're talking, trying to find each other and come together."

Luna gave her sister a look. "What are they saying?"

Celestia shook her head. "I do not know. I doubt that Twilight or those she sings with know either. But one day they will, and the song will be complete."

"And what then?" What happens when the song is complete?" Luna asked.

Celestia shook her head as she turned to leave, causing Luna to catch up to her. "I'm not sure, and a part of me is glad not to know."

Luna rolled her eyes. "That is a first." She looked back the way they had come. "What do we do now then?"

Celestia smiled as she too looked back. "We leave them alone. If they are looking for each other, then in time they will, no matter what we do."

Luna nodded as they paused a moment. The song continued, but it had slowed and no longer grew with each passing moment. Now it seemed to be waiting.

Soon though the sisters turned away and soon passed from the area of the Dream Realm. Celestia needed her rest after a rather trying Day Court the day before, and Luna still had her Dream Patrol to finish for the night.

But for the rest of the night, and for many more days to come, their minds returned to the song, and what it could mean.


Spike was used to finding Twilight in odd situations. Growing up with her, that was usually at least once a week or more. But since moving to Ponyville, it had become less severe. Pinkie Pie notwithstanding of course.

So when he came home, he was understandably confused to find his big sister literally bouncing around the room with a spring in her step and humming to herself.

Oh, and this was before breakfast. Heck, the sun was barely even up yet. "Who are you, and what have you done with the real Twilight?" He grumbled as he came in.

That got Twilight's attention as she turned to him. "Good morning Spike! And I'm fine. In fact, I've never felt so great!" She said with a huge grin.

Spike gave a look over. No bags under her eyes, no frazzled mane, and no eye twitch, which was always a good sign, so he relaxed as he went to get coffee for all. "So what were you humming? It sounded nice."

Twilight stopped as she thought a moment. "You know? I have no idea. It just came to me I guess. Like in a dream or something."

And for the life of her, she couldn't understand why it felt like she should know what the song meant. It had been with her since she had woken up. Her dream from the night before was still on her mind. But the details were even now becoming fuzzy.

"So what were you looking for?" Spike asked.

She shook her head. "Research. I'm looking for something in particular, and maybe you can help Spike. Ever hear of something called the Orbs of Dragonkind?"

Spike scrunched his nose. It sounded familiar, but not off the top of his head. "Can't say I have. Why? You've never asked about dragons before."

Twilight sighed. "I don't know Spike. Call me curious I guess. None of the books here have anything on them either."

He tapped his chin. It was a long shot, but there was one pony who might be able to help, but Twilight might not like it. "You could always ask Princess Celestia? If anypony knows, it's her."

Twilight thought about it for a moment. Her mentor would be a good place to start. With her long life, she must have come across something about the orbs.

It couldn't hurt to ask at least as she smiled. "Spike. Take a letter please."


Princess Celestia's response came a few hours later as Twilight was enjoying lunch with Fluttershy. With the disaster of the Grand Galloping Gala behind them, things were finally back to normal.

Fluttershy looked worried as Twilight read the letter with an odd look on her face. "Is something wrong Twilight?"

Twilight shook her head. "No. It's just, I feel like I'm missing something. I was hoping Princess Celestia would know more."

"Does she? About whatever you're asking?" Fluttershy asked.

Twilight nodded as she began to read the letter aloud.

"My dearest Twilight. I must apologize for not writing sooner for I had to do some digging of my own to find what you asked about.

What you mention are indeed called the Orbs of Dragonkind. Only five are known, each tied to a specific color of dragon: Black, Blue, Green, Red, and White.

Though their powers are not fully known, it is said that those who possess one can control dragons of that specific color and that when all five are brought together by those destined to bear them, they will give birth to a power Equus has never seen before.

No one knows what that could mean or even where the orbs are if they even exist at all. Even the eldest of dragons do not know for they are a myth even to them.

I must admit Twilight that my knowledge of this is limited for this myth is far older than even I or Luna. I am curious as to why you are asking about them now? I know your love of history, but this is obscure even by most myths' standards.

Your's, Princess Celestia."


Nopony said anything for a moment before Fluttershy worked up the courage. "Um. I don't mean to pry, but why are you asking about," she gulped, "dragons?"

Twilight sighed. "I'm not sure. I don't even know why I'm asking about these orbs. It just won't leave me alone. Something is coming. I just know it."

"Is that good or bad?" Fluttershy asked.

Twilight shrugged. "I don't know. But I have the feeling we'll find out. Whether we want to or not."

That seemed to take the air of any questions either one of them had for soon both had dropped the topic and were talking of other things.

Unknown to either though, the change Twilight had predicted had already begun.


Deep in the Unicorn Range, a long thought extinct volcano erupted in sudden fury. Luckily it was far enough away from habitation that none saw the eruption but the local wildlife.

In the crater, the sudden eruption had done more than unseal the magma chamber, even as the chamber itself began to fill. Near the midpoint, a cave mouth was revealed as a section of rock gave way. Nothing could be seen inside for a time.

Slowly, a rock near the center of the cave began to crack open like an egg. In a moment it shed its skin with a loud crack. Revealed within was a bright red orb. It seemed just large enough for a regular pony to carry around their neck comfortably.

Soon the orb began to glow, silently calling out to its sisters, and the one it was destined to join with. After a time the glow faded, its task seemingly finished. The orb passed into dormancy, content to wait, as it had for years beyond count.


The yaks of Yakyakistan had very few things they would not do, and the few they didn't, they usually smashed. But even the most hard-headed elder of a yurt knew one thing above all others.

Never, ever, climb Mount Everhoof.

For time beyond memory, it had been seen as the home of the gods, where mortals were forbidden to tread on pain of death or exile.

All knew the sounds and tempers of the glaciers that cascaded from Everhoof's sides. To not know them meant death for those who slept in the mountain's shadow.

This night, however, all eyes turned in its direction for all could hear the tremendous cracking and tear of a glacier on the move. But this was far louder than had been heard before.

The yaks could only watch in stunned silence as an entire section of the mountain detached and began its slow descent to the valley floor below.

In later years, this area would be called the Everhoof Icefall, a confusing maze of snow, ice blocks, and serracks the size of Canterlot Castle.

Sometime later, another piece of the mountain, much smaller this time, fell down to the valley below. No one saw this one though.

As the block came to rest in the Icefall, it seemed to be waiting for something. After a time, the block of ice began to crack open like an egg before exploding into countless pieces.

Inside was a solid white orb. It glowed for a time before fading into the darkness, waiting as it had for so long.


On any map of Equestria, this area was called the Undiscovered West. None knew why, but settlement had never pushed this way. Very few even came this way, but those that did never failed to remark on a sight few could believe existed.

A tree far taller than any tree had any right to be. It towered over the surrounding forest and its top branches cleared the clouds above. For this reason, it was called Grandfather Tree. Many said it aired calm and reflectiveness on those who saw it.

No saw then when, for no reason whatsoever, the entire tree fell over, crashing to the ground with a resounding boom that sent animals running for cover for miles around.

As the dust settled, a wide section of the forest had been cleared as the roots had been pulled out of the ground and now hung limply in the breeze. Far up the trunk though, a seemingly random chunk of bark fell away, rolling some distance before coming to a stop next to a smaller tree.

Some time passed before anything else changed. Those few animals that had returned barely paid any mind to the chunk of bark, focused more on the fallen monarch before them.

If any had looked that way, they would've seen the bark cracking before falling away from a central point. Once it began though, all could feel a tremendous power had been revealed and looked over at it. What they saw left them confused.

A green orb sat there, surrounded by the cast-off pieces of its prison for who knew how long. Though it looked safe, no animal would go near the orb.

All felt the power it radiated, and yet at the same time, they could feel that this was just the tip of the iceberg of what was there and only now waited for someone to release it.


This area between Manehatten and Fillydelphia was known for its violent and unpredictable storms and weather. Ones that rose suddenly and without warning. Pegasi for centuries had tried to control them with no success. It seemed the storms were drawn to this area, but none could say why.

But one thing was known for sure. The storms seemed to center around one area in particular. A stretch of coast little used except by fishermen to mend their boats and dry their nets. Few ever went more than a mile or so inland.

Located some miles inland from the coast, a stretch of hills lay undisturbed. Only the local wildlife visited them. One set was riddled with a network of caves. Most were used only to get out of the rain or as a temporary shelter. None showed use by ponies.

Near the mouth of one, a particularly violent lightning strike rocked the cave mouth. As if it had been waiting just for this, a stalactite broke off and crashed to the ground.

As it did, the rocks fell away from the center, revealing a solid blue orb. The lightning seemed drawn to it as it struck the orb multiple times before the storm seemed to lose its strength and begin to abate.

Released from its confinement, the orb glowed slightly before returning to its waiting state.


Deep in the Hayseed Swamp, far from what few paths existed through the area, lay a ruin forgotten by time. Very few history books made mention of the structure. Those that did said it was once used by a cult dedicated to some forgotten dark god, though none now knew for sure.

Whatever the truth, little remained above the muck now. Only a crumbled wall and a single room were all that was left above ground.

Underneath the little floor remaining, a half-flooded chamber lay filled with the rotting debris of the cult, mostly pieces of broken wood and broken pottery now.

Inside one intact jar, a seemingly normal rock began to rock back and forth before shattering, destroying the jar around it. Out rolled a solid black orb that rolled over to a far wall. Soon it began to glow, revealing a mural above it.

A dragon with five heads.


Though none saw the orbs when they were all revealed, their emergence had an effect on five mares. All of different ages and backgrounds. None knew of the bond they shared. But they all had one thing in common, one that some in Equestria might call destiny.

All of their journies began on the day of the so-called Lesson Zero incident.


Everyone shared a confused look as Twilight walked into the Throne Room, her saddlebags packed to the brim with everything you'd see on a camping trip.

"Ya going somewhere sugarcube?" Applejack asked.

Twilight nodded. "I'm going on a trip. I don't expect I'll be back for a while."

Spike hoped up. "We'll come with you!" The girls nodded, even if Rarity didn't look fully convinced of the idea.

Twilight shook her head. "Sorry guys. But this is something I have to do myself. I just need the space right now."

Princess Celestia was concerned. "Twilight. Is this about the Want It, Need It spell?"

Twilight shook her head. "No. It's just." She sighed. "I want to travel Equestria, meet new ponies, see new places. Maybe that mess has something to do with it, I don't know."

"I love meeting new ponies!" Pinkie exclaimed.

Everyone chuckled. "We know Pinkie. But this is something I have to do myself," Twilight replied as she gave them all a hard look. "Pinkie Promise you won't follow me?"

Nobody, especially Spike, liked the idea. But the look on Twilight's face said she wasn't going to budge on this, so they went through the motions. But they didn't have to like it.

Celestia sighed, knowing as well that once Twilight Sparkle had her mind set on something, she rarely ever changed it. "When do you plan to leave Twilight?"

Twilight smiled. "Tomorrow morning. I'm staying with my parents tonight. You guys are welcome to come over. I'm sure they won't mind."

That seemed to help a little as the girls smiled at the idea.


Pearl Rose had never left Fillydelphia before, no matter how much she begged her parents. She was ten. That was plenty old enough. Her dad was a dockmaster at the port and her mom was a branch manager for the First Equestrian Bank. They got to go all over Equestria.

Pearl loved her parents, she really did. But sometimes she wished they didn't worry about her so much.

Now though, she knew she was in huge trouble if they caught her. She had snuck out of the house, everything she could carry in her saddlebags. Something was calling her, something she couldn't resist. In fact, Pearl never wanted to fight this feeling, it felt too good.

Looking back, she fought back her tears. By the time her mom and dad found her note, she would be long gone. It hurt, no matter what she felt.

"Mom, dad. I'll be back, someday," she whispered as she adjusted her saddlebags and spread her wings.

Casting one last look at home, Pearl vanished into the night.


River Breeze wasn't sure this was a good idea, but something was telling her it was time. Time to find out what was calling to her, out there somewhere beyond Vanohoover's bounds. It was exciting of course, but she had no idea where this would take her.

Her life had been pretty ordinary by most standards. School, friends, family, and sports. Nothing seemed that odd.

But then something had awoken inside her, something that had forced her to lose sleep as she dreamed of flying over Equestria with four others that she wanted desperately to meet, a feeling she knew they all felt, even if they didn't know it yet.

So here she was, all she needed on the seat next to her as the train left Vanhoover behind. With no destination in mind, River Breeze settled in for the long trip as her magic reached for a book in her bags to pass the time.


In later years, Lavender Rain would say a random meeting with Twilight Sparkle would lead to how she had been at the time. Even if Twilight herself didn't remember it, much to her embarrassment in light of later events.

For those who knew her, Lavender had never really stood out in Ponyville. Applejack counted her as one of her best customers, and if not one of her best friends, as a friend nonetheless.

Recently though, her friends had noticed how much she had become in the wider Equestria, which was odd seeing as she had never much cared for it before.

But when they found her packing for a long trip, they knew something was going on with her, but Lavender herself was vague on why.

"I don't know why myself honestly. I just have this feeling. Something's calling me, and I mean to find it and why."

Her friends knew better than to argue with her, so they only smiled and wished her luck on her journey and to come back safe.

Now as the train pulled away from Ponyville's station, Lavender settled in for the long ride ahead, no destination in mind for the moment.


As the train pulled away from Canterlot's station, and she settled down with a good book for the long ride, Twilight didn't know another mare had the same idea as her.

Pumpkin Spice was the daughter of a minor family of the Canterlot Elite, and while most were elitist snobs and were proud of it, Pumpkin's family had always been known as humble and for their humility.

They could be as cutthroat and ruthless as the rest of course, but those times were the exception and not the rule.

Pumpkin stood out for another reason though. On top of being an only child, she was the only earth pony in an all-unicorn family. Neither of her parents could explain it. But they had never held it against her and loved her no matter what.

So her leaving home was a heavy blow, and coming off of Discord's recent Day of Chaos, as it was being called, their nerves were frayed beyond belief. Pumpkin was old enough to be on her own of course, but they still worried. Especially since she had no clear idea of where she was going.

"I need to find myself, and I can't do that here. I need to see Equestria for myself, not just from my room," was how she had said it.

Her parents didn't like it, but they could see she had meant it. So after more hugs and kisses than a mare her age should ever get from her parents, they had given their blessing and had helped her pack.

Now here she was, smiling as the train finally left Canterlot behind. Pumpkin had no destination in mind for the moment and was content to enjoy Equestria's beauty from her window.

Occasionally her eyes would wander over to the lavender unicorn reading a few feet away, but never for very long. Something about her felt familiar, but Pumpkin had no idea of why she pushed it aside for now.

Author's Note:

I hope you know your Dungeons & Dragons lore. It will help to know a few things about the Orbs of Dragonkind, though Celestia's letter does a pretty good job I feel.

As for the song in the dream and what Twilight was humming? It's called Dragon Song. I can't remember where it's from. But I liked it enough to use it here.

Now, as for Celestia's letter? She is not withholding anything or misleading Twilight here. This is literally all she knows of the Orbs. She has no reason to lie to Twilight.