• Published 12th Nov 2019
  • 645 Views, 28 Comments

Twilight Sparkle: A Canterlot Day - Blues Rider



Thirty years into Canterlot's future, what does Twilight get up to every day?

  • ...
0
 28
 645

4: Official Lunch

By now, Twilight's list looked like this:

A.M.
[✔] Confirm water pollution levels in the moat are safe with the Waterworks and sign off
[✔] Meet head of Canterlot Primary to discuss next year's School of Magic intake students
[✔] Court Action: Expansion of Saffron Masala's storefront to match the beginning of the building's steps
P.M.
[ ] Meet Fancy Pants and party committee to discuss proposals for TSC day
[ ] Lecture at School of Magic: Cutie Mark synchronicity 109
[ ] Arrange a new croquet layout with the gardener for Two sisters celebration day
[ ] Respond to diplomatic correspondence - See latest post.

She sat at a large table in a lovely Canterlot Cafe, checking the rest of the day's activities in question.

It was a lovely spacious room with large gaps between tables to allow for quaint conversation to take place, and round wooden tables of all different sizes. In front of her, she had a glass of succulent Sweet Apple Acres Cider. This was the only place you could get it in Canterlot this time of year.

Applejack still kept her word to Granny Smith that cider would be only be sold at Sweet Apple Acres, but a few businesses sent ponies directly to pick up a barrel of cider during cider season.

As long as they didn't specifically use Sweet Apple Acres as promotion, Applejack didn't mind them doing this. They had a lot more cider now with Apple Bloom and Sugar Bell helping out. But she always found out if somewhere did promote Sweet Apple Acres one way or another.

Seeing as Twilight was slightly early due to court finishing unexpectedly quickly, she spent a few moments reading the manuscript she had received from Moondancer. She admired Moondancer's enthusiasm to learn from other creature's magic and the integration of friendship lessons was a perfect touch to a rounded syllabus.

She felt the breeze fall on her face and she looked up to check the doorway. She put the manuscript away in her satchel.

Heading towards her from across the cafe was the best dressed stallion in all of Canterlot. The tall white unicorn walked with pure prowess across the way. His greying hair and moustache giving him an exceptionally wise and respectable aurora.

Fancy Pants bowed gently before taking the opposite seat at the table.

"Princess." He greeted formally.

"Fancy Pants, how lovely to see you." She quaintly respected.

"And how lovely to see you too." He replied happily. Despite his age, he still seemed as youthful as always. "I take it, by the fact you are here, that you received my list this morning?"

"I did, haha." She chuckled. "What in Celestia were you doing up at three in the morning?"

"I had to check that the silent firework display wasn't too noisy and that their brightness levels matched those as stated by our legal charters." He explained. "How come you are here so early?"

"Court was dismissed. Time wasters." She replied bluntly.

"Oh hoho. I do say, you can't go a week without one these days." He chuckled. "I supposed the rest of the party will be along any minute. I did intend to get here and prepare everything for you, but I might as well run through it all as I set up."

Fancy Pants floated his black briefcase onto the chair next to him, and opened the lock. Inside were all kinds of papers or blueprints for the Two Sisters Celebration Festival. He took them out of the box, separating them into two piles and organised the papers neatly. Then he pulled out the headers for each plan until he had six small stacks of papers on the round table.

Shortly after he finished his induction into the original plans for the Two Sisters Celebration the front door opened again. In with the breeze bounded the delightful pink frizz that was Pinkie Pie. Closely followed by the yellow coat and cerulean mane of Lemon Hearts.

"TWIIILIIIGHT!!!" The pink blur bellowed.

Twilight chuckled the chuckle that only seeing one of her friends could muster. "Pinkie aha! There you are!" She shot up from her place, jogging the table lightly to give Pinkie Pie a massive hug. A huge grin beamed across both friends faces.

Fancy Pants reached for the table to save any papers from floating away.

Pinkie and Twilight loosened their embrace. "I would have gotten here sooner but I got all the way to Canterlot and realised I had forgotten my Friendship Council pass, so I tried Canterlot Boutique but Sassy Saddles said Rarity was in Las Pegasus this week so I couldn't borrow her pass. So I came straight here, but the royal guards on the door wouldn't let me in, so I was going to knock on the window, but then Lemon Hearts turned up and they let me in under her pass which was nice of them, but anyway, so yeah, how's it goooiiiin?"

Twilight chuckled. "It's fine Pinkie, bit of a busy day, but I'm good. Hiya Lemon Hearts, how are you?"

"Oh I'm fine, thank you Twilight. Got some real exciting ideas to share with you for the celebration." She said in her calmer, more quaint tone.

"I don't even get why we need passes anymore, I mean, I'm the only Pinkie, there aren't any other Pinkie's around." Pinkie continued.

"There is still a plethora of magic out there which could mimic you or your friends, not to mention the changelings can still copy ponies." Fancy Pants halted the rather hyper monologue, taking control of the conversation.

"I would hope that the changelings have reformed enough to know when to use their powers for good." Twilight butted in, defending her students and friends.

"Yes, well. They still change. I'm sure they're all fine creatures, but say somepony evil got hold of that power. It's always a possibility. Anyway, please, we have a party to plan, and Princess Twilight only has an hour before her next appointment." Not meaning to seem rude, Fancy Pants gestured to the two seats either side of the table.

Twilight nodded and took her seat between Lemon Hearts and Pinkie Pie. She did understand Fancy Pants' insistence on security, it definitely was appreciated.

"Yes, I'm sorry, shall we begin?" She offered.

"Indeedydoodly." Pinkie replied in only a way a Pinkie Pie could.

For the next forty minutes they discussed everything for the celebration in rough; from the type of fireworks they would use, to just HOW Celestia and Luna would get to appear on stage for the first time in five years. From sonic-rainbooms to magic eclipses of the sun and plays acted by small furry critters, they discussed all possibilities. Finally they managed to form a basic plan.

Lemon Hearts spoke up, having taken notes on all the official ideas.

She gave a small cough before she started.

"So, I have down, that we will set up a big street banquet in the centre of Canterlot, with loud fireworks to wake everypony up at five A.M. for the start of the festivities. Then, once the crowds have gathered, a parade of costumed actors will perform a scene depicting our joy for nightmare night, and the old Summer Sun Celebration." She said in a rather measured manner.

"At which point," Pinkie took over, "Celestia and Luna will soar into the sky from behind the stage!" She burst out excitedly.

"If they then take their places atop of Canterlot Tower, they will raise the sun and lower the moon together. I'm so glad they came back to do that this year. They're really excited about it." Twilight continued.

"Then the formalities can commence." Announced Fancy Pants. "Twilight, you can give your royal speech, and we will present the morning buffet in the street. After which we will have lawn and party games throughout the day, and a disco in the evening, followed by Princess Celestia and Luna Raising the moon to end the day!" He exclaimed a little excited. "Splendid!"

They took a moment, satisfied with the results of their labour. Twilight took the final bite of her daisy and buttercup sandwich and wiped her mouth off with a napkin.

"When is our next meeting?" Twilight asked.

"Oh, oh, oh!" Pinkie exclaimed before Fancy Pants could even think of the answer, "it's in five moons time. We need to have all the preparations ready by then because then us three can go over in detail all the official preparations." She gestured to Lemon Hearts and Fancy Pants.

"I can handle the banquet and royal preparations if you can do the disco and party games Pinkie." Lemon Hearts offered.

"Psssh, of course I can, that'll be a breeze." She replied.

"And I will talk to the croquet ponies and Canterlot repertory theatre about those preparations for the celebration. I will also speak to the Princess' and ensure they are accommodating of the plans. Princess, when you speak to the palace gardener later, I need you to show him these orders."

Fancy Pants rifled through his stack of papers until he came to the one he needed and slid it out from the pile. He floated it over the coffee table to Twilight.

The title of the paper read; "Croquet Plans: for next thirty moons." and contained all kinds of information such as flower selections, grass cut height and tree pruning for optimal shadow size.

"Of course Fancy Pants. Now if you'll please excuse me, I must be at the School of Magic to give a lecture." Twilight agreed, slipping the paper into her satchel. She gave Lemon Hearts a hug goodbye, and received a rather big hug from Pinkie as well.

"Go get 'em Princess supreme." Pinkie whispered in her ear, sad to leave her best friend. Or one of them anyway.

"I'll see you in five moons." Twilight consoled.

She broke the tight grasp and turned to Fancy Pants. She gave him a strong and formal hoofshake goodbye.




[✔] Meet Fancy Pants and party committee to discuss proposals for TSC day
Check.