• Published 18th Aug 2012
  • 1,476 Views, 41 Comments

The Story of a Royal Guard [OUTDATED] - Himntor



See: The Guard And His Sword

  • ...
3
 41
 1,476

Grand Galloping Gala

Sword Shield was at his station on one of the castle walls. He'd been a Lieutenant for a little over two months now, but since Shining Armor took care of the Royal Guard for the most part he continued in his patrols, and also took some time studying more about magic.

Sword Shield was relieved of duty around the afternoon and began practicing his flying in the forest below Canterlot during some time off. He levitated his sword up into the sky until he was unable to see it, and once he felt ready, he locked onto the sword's position.

Flash.

He teleported straight into the air above his sword. Using his magic he changed the sword into its surfboard shape. With the air whipping past him he landed on it with a thud and immediately flew straight downwards. He evened out above the tree line, whisking by the branches at his maximum speed, which could have out-flown most pegasi. In the distance there was a large cardboard target standing tall. As Sword Shield approached it he released the spell holding him to his sword.

Everything moved in slow motion from that point forward. He jumped off the sword, letting it fly through the air towards the cardboard target. He quickly used his magic to change the sword to it's normal form. The sword pierced the target and kept on going. Sword Shield on the other hand was mid air, flailing his hooves as he flew forward towards the target. Before he made impact he made a split second spell.

Flash.

Sword Shield reappeared on his sword, still flying through the air, but slipped as it was still in it's normal form. He held on with his fore-hooves, the sword cutting him slightly. He quickly used magic and dulled the edges and expanded the sword. He slowed it down to a stop and was able to pull himself back up.

"I guess practice will be cut short today," said Sword Shield as he checked his bleeding hooves with a slight chuckle, "Gah. Stupid Sword, stupid!"

He slowly flew back to the castle and to the Royal Medical Room to bandage his hooves. While he was patching up he received a letter from Princess Celestia. He opened it and read it's contents:

Dear Sword Shield, you are cordially invited by Princess Celestia to attend this year's Grand Galloping Gala at the Castle this weekend.

Sword Shield looked at the letter in surprise as he put it away. He had never been to the Grand Galloping Gala, at least as a guest, he was at it once as one of the guards, but not in the actual party. He didn't know what to do at the Gala, not to mention he didn't have an outfit. He decided to return to his patrolling duties not too worried about the Gala (or his injuries) for the next few days.

A day before the Gala, Sword Shield went out to Canterlot's markets and purchased a cheap black tuxedo, probably not as fancy as some of the other ponies were going to be wearing, but he thought it looked rather well combined with his coat and mane. He continued doing his duties and patrols for the rest of the day. The next morning he took up a patrol on the wall with Arden and Swifty.

"I hear you are going to the Gala tonight, Sword Shield," said Swifty, "Lucky. I've always wanted to go there myself."

"Maybe if you train hard enough and do a good job for the rest of the year, you'll be invited next year," suggested Sword Shield.

"Yeah, as a hallway guard," joked Arden.

Swifty snorted at his friend with distaste, "I'll make it there one day, just you wait."

"Still waiting," said Arden with a grin.

Sword Shield continued his patrol, every once in a while a conversation striking up with Arden and Swifty.

"Hey Sword Shield, what exactly is the Royal Guard's purpose?" asked Arden, "I mean other than protecting the Princesses and Canterlot. I know we're a security force but Equestria seems to lack a solid military."

"Well I'll tell you that Shining Armor is starting to spread out the Royal Guard a little more. As we're getting more recruits we are able to station them in other cities. As for a 'solid military', the Wonderbolts are currently filling that role. Even though at first they seem like they're all for show and weather control, they have the more standard military training which is why the Royal Guard gets their job slightly easier. It's still just as important though." answered Sword Shield confidently.

"Interesting. You've shown that you're capable of flying using your sword, maybe you should try for the Wonderbolts." suggested Arden.

"I don't think so. They are strictly pegasus, they won't accept a unicorn like me even with my capabilities. I've seen the training procedures, and some of them even I wouldn't be able to do as they specifically require wings," replied Sword Shield.

"That's too bad, Wonderbolts get automatic access to almost everything I hear," said Arden.

"Yup, but being a Lieutenant in the Royal Guard isn't so bad either. Now cut the chatter and get back to your posts, it's almost time for me to go," said Sword Shield as he looked out at the lowering sun.

Half an hour later the sun had set and Sword Shield resigned from his station. He picked up his tuxedo and struggled to put it on correctly. Once he had gotten it on (after a bit of embarrassing help from Cadance) he left for the Gala, also deciding to keep his sword, but to keep it concealed he morphed it into a small dagger and hid it in his tuxedo.

A whole army of ponies were already lining up at the castle, Sword Shield barely came into sight of the gate as he saw Twilight and her friends enter the castle.

"Twilight and her friends are here?" thought Sword Shield. He had been meaning to finally meet the mare who stopped Nightmare Moon, and tonight seemed to be a good opportunity.

Sword Shield entered the line of ponies, he saw Twilight with Princess Celestia greeting the guests as they came in. He moved up slowly in line and finally got his turn to greet Celestia and Twilight.

"Hello, Sword Shield," greeted Princess Celestia, "It's so nice of you to come, this is my faithful student, Twilight Sparkle. Twilight, this is the Lieutenant of the Royal Guard, Sword Shield."

"Pleased to meet you!" Twilight greeted with a smile.

"The pleasure is mine, Twilight. It's good to see you again Celestia." Sword Shield bowed to both Celestia and Twilight and stepped aside for other ponies to come in.

"So if you're the Lieutenant does that mean you work with my brother Shining Armor?" asked Twilight.

"Yes, I work directly under Shining Armor's command quite often," answered Sword Shield.

"Oh really? Is he coming to the Gala tonight?" she continued.

"Sadly not, he is busy with the Royal Guard tonight, but he is doing well, if you wanted to know," answered Sword Shield, he scratched the back of his neck, "Considering the fact I've had to save his rump every once in a while." he added quietly.

"What was that?" asked Twilight in between greeting more guests as they came in.

"Nothing, never mind. Anyway, I just wanted to say thanks... for defeating Nightmare Moon. I was probably the first pony to encounter her. I tried to stop her myself but... failed. I came to the Everfree Forest searching for the Elements of Harmony as well, following you and your friends, but it seems I was a bit late," said Sword Shield. He was still a bit regretful of the past events.

"Really?" asked Twilight curiously, "Well, thank you. It was all thanks to my friends that we defeated Nightmare Moon. I'm sorry you couldn't catch up with us, we could have used the help."

"I highly doubt that."

"It's no big deal, in the end it all turned out fine, I just wanted to get that off my chest. I'll see you later," said Sword Shield as he walked off.

"Have a good time!" said Twilight and went back to greeting the guests.

Sword Shield entered the ball room, filled with decorations and ponies in fancy dresses everywhere. There was a small orchestra playing music as well.

"Well I'm here... Now what?" thought Sword Shield as he stood awkwardly in the corner.

Everyone was already talking to somepony else and no one seemed interested in talking to Sword Shield. It occurred to him it was probably a good idea to bring along friends to such an event, but he was always busy that he never really had time to make friends that were able to attend the Gala with him.

"So much for being a noble Royal Guard if you have no friends!"

Sword Shield continued to walk around for a few minutes, not really paying attention to what anyone was saying, he simply strolled around and kept to himself. The only entertainment he was able to achieve was stopping for a moment to chat with one of the hallway guards, but even then he had to let them do their job.

Frustrated, Sword Shield decided to take a walk, maybe come back later to see if the party had livened up any bit. He took out his sword and flew it outside then teleported to it. He didn't want anyone noticing him leaving.

He walked down through Canterlot and stopped and a small shop called Joe's Donuts. There was only one other customer in the shop at the moment. Sword Shield walked in and recognized who the customer was; a little purple and green dragon, sitting on a chair slowly eating a donut.

There was only one baby dragon in Equestria that Sword Shield knew. He came in the shop sat down in the chair next to him, "Hey, Spike," he called over.

"Huh?" Spike looked over to see who had called his name, "Oh, hey Sword Shield, what are you doing here?" asked Spike, somehow managing to remember Sword Shield, though the time spent with him was rather short.

"I was at the Gala," answered Sword Shield.

"What are you doing here then? Shouldn't you be at the Gala?" asked Spike with a puzzled expression.

Sword Shield let out a sigh, "Yeah, but I got bored. I decided to take a walk and came here."

The bartender Joe came out of the back area and saw the Lieutenant, "Oh, Lieutenant Shield, I wasn't expecting you here tonight. Is there anything I can get ya?" he asked.

"Yeah, I'll have a glazed donut please," replied Sword Shield. Joe gave Sword Shield a donut and went into the back of the shop again.

"Boring?" asked Spike, "How is the Gala boring?"

Sword Shield shrugged and took a bite out of his donut, "I don't know, it just was. I don't really have anypony else to talk to or spend time with at the Gala, so I decided to take a walk and maybe when I go back it will be a little more lively." He talked in between bites.

"Oh, well I hope Twilight and her friends are at least having a good time. I was going to spend time with them, but they all separated to do their own things instead of staying together like I suggested we do," said Spike. He sighed and took another bite out of his donut.

"I see. I don't mean to pry, but how is it like living with Twilight?" asked Sword Shield, "As a baby dragon that is."

"It's been just great, Twilight takes good care of me and I assist her with the library," answered Spike, "Why do you ask?"

"No reason, just curious," said Sword Shield, sighing at himself. "You're pretty lucky to have good friends like Twilight."

"Don't you have friends in the Royal Guard?" asked Spike, continuing to eat the rest of his donut.

"Not exactly, we're all too busy to make friends. The Captain is the closest pony I've come to consider as a friend," answered Sword Shield.

"Then why don't you just, I don't know, quit?" asked Spike with a mouth full of donut.

Sword Shield chuckled at Spike's question, "One does not simply quit the Royal Guard," he answered, taking another bite of his donut.

"Why not?" Spike continued to ask.

Sword Shield looked down at the little dragon curiously as to why he was so insistent on asking.

"I... you just... don't. I don't know, it's complicated," answered Sword Shield, a little puzzled on the questions himself.

"Why not just quit? It's not like it's a forced position."

He was afraid that his father would look down on him for quitting something he had put so much effort into. It wasn't a matter of just leaving the Royal Guard, it was a matter of abandoning the Princesses, his Captain and duties and Equestria itself. The weight of it slammed down on Sword Shield. He shook it off, tried to forget about the whole thing and finished his donut.

"Well it was nice talking to you Spike, I'm gonna head back to the Gala and see if it's gotten any better," said Sword Shield. He left a few bits of payment for his donut on the counter and left out the door, hearing Spike say one last thing.

"Another donut."

Sword Shield walked back to the castle to see if the Gala had livened up any bit. He walked into the ball room and it seemed like there was a song about to be performed, and decided to stay and listen.

A bright pink earth pony stepped up to the microphone and tapped it a few times.

"Come on, everypony! I know what will make you shake those groove thangs!" The mare motioned for the band to start playing.

"You reach your right hoof in

You reach your right hoof out

You reach your right hoof in

And you shake it all about

You do the Pony Pokey meeting lots of folks with clout

That's what I'm talking about

You step your left hoof in

You pull it right back out

You step your left hoof in

But you better help him out

You do the Pony Pokey but you'd find a different route

That's what it's all about

You kick your back leg in

You pull your back leg out

You reach your back leg in

Just be brave and have no doubt

You do the Pony Pokey feeling like you're gonna pout

That's what I'm singing about

You tilt your head in

You tilt your head out

You tilt your head in

Then you shake it all about

You do the Pony Pokey even though your date's a lout

You're better off without

You stomp your whole self in

You stomp your whole self out

You stomp your whole self in

And you stomp yourself about

You do the Pony Pokey and you give a little shout

That's what I'm talking about

You do the Pony Pokey

You do the Pony Pokey

You do the Pony Pokey

And that's what it's all about

YEAH!"

All the ponies in the room stared strangely at the singing pink pony.

One mare spoke up after the song had ended, "Young lady, this is not that kind of party."

"Oooohhh. These ponies don't wanna party, they wanna paaarTAY!" said the pink pony.

Sword Shield was slightly bewildered by the performance, not expecting something so silly at the Gala. The pink pony then turned on some music from a DJ stand.

"Come on everypony! You wanted to partay?! Now let's paartayy! Yeah!"

The mare started running around throwing other ponies into the air. "Come on, dance!"

Suddenly the door swung open and an orange coated mare earth pony with a large cake entered the room. "Okay all you high class ponies, here's a high-balloon apple cake for all yer... hoity-toity taste buds," she said while rolling the cake down the room.

"Apple cake? Why does no pony ever make carrot cake?" thought Sword Shield. Carrots were his favorite afternoon snack.

There was a sudden yell from the stage. "STAGE DIVE!" screamed the pink pony. She jumped off the stage, and landed on the cart the apple cake was on, sending the cake flying overhead.

A pair of unicorns entered the room with the cake heading right towards them. Sword Shield just stood and watched as the chaos ensued.

The stallion quickly moved his partner in front of him and the cake landed, covering her in frosting.

The mare turned around and faced her partner, her face turning bright red, "You sir, are the most uncharming prince I have EVER MET! If there is anything Royal about you it is that you are a ROYAL PAIN!" she yelled angrily at the prince.

Sword Shield had to agree with that. He had ended up doing Prince Blueblood a few 'favors' from time to time, but thankfully never spent the majority of his time working for him.

The prince recoiled, "Ew, stay back! I just had myself groomed!"

"Afraid to get DIRTY?!" the mare continued to shout. She shook her head and body, making the frosting fly everywhere and covering Prince Blueblood in it. He stumbled backwards and crashed beneath the statue of Celestia. The statue started to tip over and fall.

"Uh Oh," thought Sword Shield. Before he could react to stop the statue himself he heard a shout from the crowd.

"This is my chance!"

A light blue blur suddenly flew past everyone at ridiculous speed, and then reappeared under the falling statue. A mare pegasus caught the statue and held it up.

"Yes!" yelled the pegasus, but she quickly began to lose control and wobbled around the room, "Whoooaa!"

The pegasus knocked one of the stone columns in the room with the statue, it fell over and hit another of the columns, creating a domino effect. Column after column collapsed around the pegasus. After everything had crumbled even the statue itself gave up all hope and split into four pieces.

Sword Shield stood dumbfounded at how quickly everything went to chaos. The Princess and Twilight walked into the room and looked at the chaotic scene, eyes wide.

"Well, it can't get any worse," whispered Twilight. The room suddenly started shaking again.

"Never be too sure about things getting worse. Hope for the best, expect the worst," thought Sword Shield, frantically looking around the room to find the source of the shaking.

The door going outside to the gardens burst open and a bunch of animals rushed into the room, birds flying everywhere and critters running amok. An exhausted looking light yellow pegasus was standing behind the door, she stared coldly at the animals running around the room.

"Yer... going to LOVE MEEE!" yelled the pegasus.

All the ponies in the room broke into a panic, running back and forth screaming. Someone whistled and everyone started to evacuate the ball room.

Sword Shield brought out his sword which he had shrunken before the Gala, used a Sight Seeing spell on it and flew it out the room overhead of all the evacuating ponies. He landed it on the ground outside and teleported to it.

"Well, that was certainly much more exciting," thought Sword Shield, chuckling to himself as he picked up his sword. He saw Princess Celestia exit the castle and decided to approach. "Hello, Princess Celestia. It seems tonight did not go as planned," he said with a smile.

"No, it seems not," responded Celestia with a laugh of her own, "I don't think the Gala has ever ended so abruptly before. I'm surprised, honestly."

"Yes, well... I'm sorry I wasn't quick enough to stop the chaos inside. If you would like some help with the repairs, I'm all yours," offered Sword Shield.

"It's quite alright, Sword Shield," replied Celestia with a smile, "I'm sure I'll be able to clean up the mess. Thank you for coming, I hope you had at least some enjoyment."

"Well I won't say I didn't. Thank you for inviting me, though next year if I'm invited I might be a little more reluctant," said Sword Shield while preparing his sword for take off.

Celestia laughed, "Indeed. Goodnight." She left heading down into Canterlot, presumably to find Twilight and her friends.

Sword Shield took off on his sword towards the barracks, landed nearby and put away his tuxedo in his locker at the barracks. He went to his personal tent and caught a good night's sleep.

Author's Note:

This chapter was another easy one to do. I added some parts in the beginning like the flying practice, redid the conversation between Sword Shield and Twilight and some minor changes between the conversation with Spike and him.

Oh, and here is Sword Shield in his Gala outfit: http://i.imgur.com/bqe6D.png

Pretty snazzy if you ask me...

Pony Pokey is best song. Hopefully I ain't breaking any copyright by copying it, heheh.