• Published 18th Oct 2019
  • 1,758 Views, 160 Comments

The Beatle - CrackedInkWell



What would Ocellus do if everyone, except for her, forgot The Beatles?

  • ...
2
 160
 1,758

Chapter 19 - Getting Ready

Ocellus had planned her final performance since she finished with Pepperland. She didn’t want it to be in the style of a ruckus rock concert, nor would she wanted to do it as a musical. While not exactly as a final radio show, she did want to have this be heard live to as many as possible. The way she should do her final concert had not only needed to be special but could house both an audience and a choir as well. Which was why that she picked the Canterlot Royal Opera House.

Fancy Pants took great pains to advertise it and announce that the last performance of The Beatle will be hosted live over on his radio station. He produced posters to advertise the collaboration of brand-new songs between Ocellus and the Canterlot Royal Philharmonic from the Crystal Empire to Appaloosa. A once in a lifetime event that was known as: The Curtain Call. The stallion also announced that the Beatle will be selling the final records the day after the performance in case anyone had missed it.

As soon as word got out, tickets for the event were quickly sold out even before the posters went up. Others went the other way and bought their own radio for the event. However, the ponies who were selling radios often sold them so fast that they were often out of stock. And when word got out for the final album from the Beatle, record companies were given lists in the millions who pre-payed for a copy before recording got started.

From Ocellus’s end, she was working as hard and fast as she could to piece together the songs needed for the show. By the beginning of August, although she, Pull, Dawn, and Magno have created many more songs than required of the final performance. So, it was agreed that they should release a double record album where one had the songs that were presented at the show while the other had extra songs.


“Can I get everyling’s attention please?” Ocellus asked.

It was only a few weeks before the last performance, and Ocellus’s favor from the king has come in. The largest attendance of the Hive’s choir – including volunteers from the Beatles came pouring into the school’s Gym. There was a wide range from those as young as seven to elders who lend their singing talents to this show. Each of them received a copy of the songs that they were about to perform. All four of them – or at least so they thought. On this day of the choir’s rehearsal, Ocellus came in with a box of sheet music which she passed along.

“What’s this?” One of the Changelings asked her.

“If you could pass this along to the younger members of the choir, I have a very important announcement to make.” When they did, many looked at the two pages of music and lyrics, she said, “What you are holding in your hooves, is a surprise for one of the songwriters. It’s a song that isn’t what’s considered as a Beatle song, but I figured that it’s needed. Because, starting today, noling here is to tell anyone about this song. It’s a surprise song.”

One of the Changelings raised a hoof, “Why? What’s this for?”

“Okay, I’m going to let you all in on a top-secret project. A small one, but it’s meant to thank my songwriters, Pull and Dawn before I go. This is a gift to Dawn that he doesn’t know about. It’s my way of saying thank you to him. In the meantime, I’ve learned how to play the piano part and wonder what the rest of you might think of it.”

Although she can sense confusion among the choir, they did agree to give it a shot. After all, the music didn’t look too difficult.

So Ocellus sat down at the piano and played out a simple set of chords for a few bars before cueing in on the choir to sing. What came out of their mouths, was a sweet-sounding song that was one part radical and another peaceful. But when Ocellus sang the other two verses, where the words were simple yet so full of meaning to those in the room, even when the choir was just singing “Ooh” to fill the harmony, it left them in a cathartic, redemptive mood.

After the song was over, and Ocellus asked what they thought of it. For a long, long minute, no one said anything. Then just as she was getting nervous in thinking that this timeless song may not be good after all, a hoof rose up. “Ocellus, I think that might be one of the best songs I’ve heard.”

“And relevant,” said another, “Who’s song is this?”

“Dawn’s.” Ocellus answered. This got a reaction out of the Changelings, looking to one another and muttering to the other. “What? Is something wrong with it?”

“I don’t think so,” another Changeling said, “It’s just… You said Dawn wrote this?” She nodded. “Are you sure that Dawn Lemon isn’t a Changeling?”

This took Ocellus aback. “What makes you think he was?”

They explained how this song, the anthem to peace spoke of a world without borders, where there’s no reason to kill or die over. Or near the ending, to envision a world where there was no greed and hunger, but instead a brotherhood that united everyone. Something that King Thorax had envisioned what the hive should become. Peaceful – the opposite of the previous monarch.

Ocellus replied, “To tell you all the truth, this song was inspired by an old stallion who went through decades of fear, prejudice, hate, and ignorance. Although he himself was an easily jealous, violent pony, age, and experience changed him to find peace of mind. From a pony that saw the advantages of acceptance of the different, and peace among creatures. A mind of a dreamer, yes, but what a dream that is.”

“So, what do you think this song is to you?” Another Changeling asked.

She thought about it for a moment. “In a way, I see as an anthem. Not of what we are… but… what we could become one day. A prayer for a better world. A better life where if you want to see it, you have to take the first step to imagine it and then, do it.”

“An anthem… It kinda describes what we’re trying to do.”

“So are some of the other songs,” another Changeling pointed out. “I guess I would have said the same thing with that All You Need is Love song. But this seems like a better fit.”

“That’s good to hear.” Ocellus said, “I think we’ll stop for today, but will you all work to get this song down as well?”

They told her that they will.


Finally, it was time.

In front of the Canterlot Opera House, crowds from old to young, rich and poor gathered on the front steps. Some spotlights and banners had Ocellus’s face with the name of The Beatle proudly displaying it. The scene was like a premiere of a blockbuster Applewood movie where the elite gathered as a special social event. There were red carpets that lead from the street to the insides of the grand theater. On the roof, a radio tower stuck out with wires that snake down to the microphones on stage.

The audience was ready.

Behind the theater, a carriage pulled up to the backdoor stage. And four individuals walked out of it. First was Dawn in a white suit, next was Mango in black, then Pull in deep blue without any horseshoes, and finally the star Ocellus in a white suit with a red carnation pinned to her withers.

The music and musicians were ready.

In that same back alley, behind the garbage cans, a stallion turned on his radio to listen to the performance. With a repetitive crossbow by his side, he took the time to polish and sharpen all five of his arrows. All those times where he was denied a decent picture, an autograph, or to be anywhere near his idol; all those times he was turned down – it’s time to pay. But not yet, he needs to wait just a little longer. Not until the last song was sung.

Aficionado was almost ready.