• Published 18th Oct 2019
  • 1,751 Views, 160 Comments

The Beatle - CrackedInkWell



What would Ocellus do if everyone, except for her, forgot The Beatles?

  • ...
2
 160
 1,751

Chapter 13 - Spring Break (Track 2)

Ocellus watched Vanhoover slowly disappear from the train they rode on. At this moment of the tour, she and Starlight were heading southwest. In the dining car, dinner was being served while the young Changeling sat next to the window.

“I take it you have something on your mind?” Starlight asked, snapping the student out from her daze.

“Huh?”

“You haven’t touched your food.” She pointed out the baked potato soup that was going cold.

“Sorry, yeah, I was just thinking.”

“About?”

Ocellus took a moment to taste the soup to find that it was unseasoned. “Well, we are making really good time, earlier than I expected. So, I was wondering about something.” Starlight inquired what that was. “We’re not too far away from the Silver Saddle Retirement community.”

Starlight tilted her head, “Is there someone you know that lives there?”

“Yes, one of Pull and Dawn’s friends that were in their old band. Ever heard of Mango Star?”

She shrugged, “I don’t think so.”

“Oh… Well, he was their drummer, and since I became popular, we made sure that he got a share of the royalties because I’m singing one of their songs and all.”

“I see, you want to stop by to see how he’s doing.”

“Well yeah. I haven’t heard much from him in months, so hopefully, he’s doing-”

“Excuse me,” Starlight interrupted, but she was talking to one of the staff in uniform, “how long is it until we reached the Silver Saddle Retirement community?”

“You mean the one near Seaward Shoals? It’s the next couple of stops that’s an hour-and-a-half from now… I think.”

“Thank you.” Starlight returned back to Ocellus. “You know if what you said is true and… what’s his name?”

“Mango.”

“Right, if Mango is also getting a share from this whole music thing, something tells me that he’s doing fine.”


By the time they made their stop, it was freshly past sunset and the two of them had just gotten off the train. Much to Ocellus’s relief, there wasn’t a mob of fans insight. If anything, it looked as if no one expected her to be there. Not that she was complaining as at after hours of either listing to the relentless clickity-clack of the train or singing to screaming fans, it was soothing to have peace and quiet.

They arrived when lampposts were being lit and the houses nearby had a glow through their windows. Between them and the town, they spotted the retirement community. Starlight had reasoned that given how late it was, visiting hours would most likely be over by now so they’ll have to come back in the morning. In the meantime, they should go into town to find a room for the night.

Along the way, the sandy path they walked on weaved this way and that until it got close enough to be near the retirement home. But before they could pass along, Ocellus’s ears perked up. She stopped, and Starlight noticed that she wasn’t following her.

“Ocellus?” She looked over her shoulder, “What’s wrong?”

“Listen.” She said, “Do you hear that?”

Pausing, Starlight took a moment to hear between the seagulls and the nearby sea, there was a distant sound of applause. “Hear what?”

Ocellus raised a hoof, listening intestinally, “I think I heard something.”

“So?”

“It sounds just like…” Her eyes widened. “No way…” She walked off the path and towards Silver Saddle.

“Ocellus?” Starlight went after her, “Where are you going?”

The student didn’t answer at first. Her ears guided her towards one of the lit buildings. And as she got closer, she could hear a couple of guitars, a bass, a drum set, and some very, very familiar voices.

She followed it to a small building that inside were dozens of old ponies having a slow dance. But what made her stop, however, was that in one of the windows she saw four ponies on stage. She knew who they were. At the two microphones, Pull McCart at one with bass while Dandelion Hayson and Dawn Lemon at the other with their guitars. In the back of the group was Mango at the drums. Ocellus couldn’t believe her eyes or her ears. Although three of the quartet were old, and their voices have aged, it was still… them. It was as if The Beatles had come back. For a moment, she wanted to believe it, however, the spectacle filled her with questions.

“Ocellus,” Starlight caught up with her, “you shouldn’t just gallop off like that.”

“It’s them.” She pointed, “McCart and Lemon are here!”

“What?” She looked through the window. “Huh… What are they doing here?”

Ocellus went over towards the entrance and found a sign that read: Monday Night Dance Party – Live Music with The Shoes. She got a chuckle out of that inside joke. Looking up through the open double doors, she really paid attention to not only the song but to everything inside the room as well. It was decorated in the same way one would for a high school dance with colorful streamers, a disco ball, balloons, and a punchbowl. The clothing that they had on looked like it belonged to another time, another decade before the Changeling was conceived. While the mares had on bright colorful dresses, the stallions had on their best suits.

Then, she paid attention to the music. Although she knew it well and sang it a couple of times, the song choice was the most poignant. It was In My Life, a song about the past, of those that came before, of those that remained. In this short song, especially coming from the creators who are themselves facing old age, reminiscing about a past that was – and could have been. It hit Ocellus hard of not only what the words of the lyrics were, but by who they were being sung by. There was something cruelly poetic about what she was witnessing.

At the end of their song, they bowed to polite applause and then the band noticed Ocellus across from them.

“Well, what do you know!” Dawn hopped off the stage and went over towards her, “Hey, get a look at this!”

“Ocellus?” Pull got down and followed Dawn towards the door. “Well fancy seeing you here in the middle of nowhere. What are you doin’? I thought you went on tour or somethin’.”

“I am,” Ocellus answered, giving each of them a hug. “But I’m early so I thought I come to see how Mango was doing and-”

“‘Ere! Mango!” Dawn called out.

“What?” The stallion by the drums called out.

“Have you met Ocellus here?”

“Once. Why?”

“She wants ta know how you doin’.”

Mango laughed as he and Dandelion got off and went to meet up with her. “How I’m doin’?” Mago asked, “Thanks to this young lady, we have more money than we know what to do with!”

“It’s good to see you again,” Dandelion said, shaking her hoof, “I must say, thank you so much for what you’ve done for us. I now have more than enough funds; I can finally put together that album for my own band.”

“Well, considering that I’m only singing theirs,” she nodded to Dawn and Pull, “and your dad’s songs, we thought that it seemed fair.”

“Oh! That reminds me, I heard your album.”

“Yeah? And what did you think?”

He shrugged, “I thought that it was okay, but then you sang one of my dad’s songs.”

Something.

“Uh-huh, you know, growing up, I heard my parents sing that on their anniversary. Every year, he gets out the guitar and they sing that because it was their song. Listening to you, I think you might have made my dad proud of that.”

Starlight cleared her throat, getting their attention. “Not that I’m against this reunion, but I am curious about something. Mr. McCart, Mr. Lemon, Ocellus told me that you gave you two a break, so why are you here?”

“Well it’s quite simple,” Lemon said, “after spending several weeks working up a storm, Pull and I were feeling nostalgic. Now that things were going well, we wanted to see how things are with Mango. But just as we did, we run into Dandelion whose here for the same reason we have. So, we visited Mango. Turns out, since he’s become the richest pony at this retirement home, he thought that maybe he should give the drums a try again. Since tonight was this place’s dance night, we thought that we should play for old time’s sake.”

“I never realized how much I would miss doing this.” Pull remarked, “It’s been ages since we played in a band. I had forgotten how fun it used to be.”

“So wait,” Ocellus held up a hoof. “Does this mean that you’re getting the old band back together?”

They laughed.

“Oh Goddesses, no!” Mango waved his hooves. “This is only for tonight. They were short on musicians and we stepped in. Besides, the way you’re doing the old songs, we’d figure that you’re better at it than we are.”

“At least you have a good singing voice, young lady.” Lemon nodded, “I don’t know about you, but I thought I sounded bloody awful up there.”

“Hey! Since you’re here,” Mango went up to her, face to face, “I thought I ask you something.”

“Yeah…?”

“You know how you’re letting Pull and Dawn do songwriting and helping you record?” She nodded, “I figured that maybe I should help out a bit too.”

“As what?” Dandelion questioned.

“Well, why not as a drummer?”

“You think that’s a good idea?” Pull questioned, “I mean, your alright tonight, but you said so yourself that you’re out of practice.”

“Says the ponies that haven’t picked up a guitar in years and coming up with one smash hit after another.” Mango turned back to Ocellus, “So what do you say? Need a drummer?”

Ocellus hummed in thought. “If I said yes, is it possible for you to come to Ponyville?”

Mango laughed, “I’m a millionaire now! I can come by in a blimp if I wanted. I’ll even bring along me own drum set if need ta.”

She smiled, “Considering all the projects that I have in mind, maybe it’s best to get all the help I could get so,” she offered her hoof, “yes, you can help with us.”

He shook it.

Ocellus turned to Dandelion, “What about you? Do you want to join in?”

He shook his head, “Don’t get me wrong, I respect you as an artist, and for bring my dad’s music back. But I’m not him. And I’m already in a band of my own. I have them to worry about. So, I’ll have to pass on this.”

“You’re missing out,” Mango said.

“I doubt it.”


Of course, that night Ocellus had to give them her plans in that she has to complete her tour before they could get back to songwriting again. Mango said that he’ll get himself prepared and promises that he’ll be in Ponyville by the time she gets back. The next morning, she bid them goodbye before departing on the train, heading westward towards her next destination.

The Hive.

After the train had reached as far westward that it could go, it was then Starlight’s turn to transport them and their things over to the Hive. Out of all the places on the tour that Ocellus herself was looking forward to, especially sharing this music with, it was at her home. Soon, she was about to introduce that music for the first time.

Starlight popped them across the Wandering Woods and they stood outside of the garden-like Hive. Ocellus breathed deeply, “It’s so good to be back home.”

“Before we go… any further,” Starlight said, catching her breath, “Did you let… slip about being… here?”

She shook her head. “If I remember right, I only mentioned a few places, but the Hive wasn’t one of them. Still, I can’t wait to play for them.”

“What are they… doing?” At first, Ocellus didn’t know what Starlight was referring to until she looked in her direction. There at the top of the stone, moss-covered pillar, there were a few Changelings that were putting up a banner. They watched for a moment as they tied one end, then the other, and displaying it fully was a message that only two words:

Welcome Ocellus

Starlight, now getting the wind back into her lungs smiled, “Looks like they’re looking forward to you as well.”

“That’s so sweet of them,” Ocellus grinned, her wings buzzed in delight.

“Well let’s get going,” Starlight said. “We shouldn’t keep them waiting. They picked up their language and the equipment, making their way towards the Hive.

A few minutes of walking through the garden fields of bushes, vines, and wildflowers in silence that Ocellus asked: “Isn’t this your third time here?”

She nodded. “Now that I think of it, yeah, it is. And that was quite a while ago since Trixie and I had come here to help Thorax.”

“Back when we were trying to get the Hive together. I wonder what’s different now for being away for so-”

There’s the conquering hero!” This sudden third voice made them jump and shriek. Swiftly turning around they not only found Pharynx but a dozen other Changelings there that they didn’t notice before. The taller, purple and red Pharynx tilted his head, “What? I thought you’d like surprises.”

The two of them recovered from their mini-heart attacks. “H-Hey Pharynx.” Starlight was the first to say after she calmed down, “Long time no see.”

“Indeed,” he nodded, “it has been a long time since you came to the Hive.”

“How have you been?”

“Things have gotten better for us,” he said proudly, “since you’ve left, I took upon myself to reeducate these guys in the art of self-defense. But this isn’t about me, it’s about the star Changeling of the hour.” He looked over to Ocellus, “It’s good to have you back, Ocellus.”

“I take it that you’ve heard that I’ve taken up singing?” Ocellus asked with a nervous grin.

“Oh, we’ve heard alright, it’s what all everyling talks about now.” Pharynx looked over his shoulder and the other Changelings nodded in agreement. “Ever since that record came out and the news of how Equestria is reacting to you, it’s given us a sense of pride that we haven’t felt in a long time.”

The young Changeling asked him what he meant.

“Next to my brother, you’ve shown the world how a Changeling can be a force of good. Coming out with these songs that are sparking a revolution. Thanks to you, the young are given the motivation to become better. Why, in my defense class alone, they’re working harder than ever to be the best.” He leaned forward with a smirk. “Between you and me, we need that. If you could come up and sing these really good songs, then what’s stopping the rest of us doing that with what they’re working in?”

Ocellus blinked, “I didn’t know I was having that much of an influence.”

“Here especially. But it’s what the young ones have named themselves in this revolution that surprises us. Do you know what it is?” She shook her head. “They’ve taken a derogatory name for us Changelings and turned it into a new identity. Beatles.”

This left Ocellus speechless. Out of all the things to happen in a world where everyone had forgotten one of the most influential bands of all time, she never expected how much this would affect her own kind. She has now become an icon for those of her age to become something incredible. It was one thing to gain fans as the original band members had, but it was another to see and hear about the effect that Beatlemania has on the community she knows.

She saw it when they entered the Hive itself. Everywhere there were young Changelings who have become more industrious, ever striving to be creative, and trying to match the adults. There was a sense that they were doing what they could to be taken more seriously. Here, she saw a group around her age painting a mural of their history with her at one end of it. There in the kitchens, it was almost crowded with adults and kids alike experimenting and creating new meals that she never saw before. This way, a new library with books being written as she passed by. That way, a choir was rehearsing.

However, as impressed as she was, there are a few in particular that she wanted to see.

She led the way for Starlight towards a particular spot in the Hive where there was an expansive cave where she found two familiar adult Changelings with two other very younger ones. “Mom! Dad!” she called out walking in, “I’m home!”

“Welcome back Ocellus.” Her mother was the first to come up to hug her. “It’s good to see you.”

“Sis! Sis!” her two younger siblings went over to her, swarming about her head to where it was a blur of pink and light green.

Her father nuzzled her. “Glad you’re back.” He noticed Starlight by the mouth of the cave. “Hey, you want to come in?”

“Actually,” she yawned, “mind if I sleep somewhere? I had to use a good deal of energy just to teleport here and had a long walk up.” The parents told her to go ahead and she collapsed on the nearest patch of moss.

After her family got her luggage settled in and Ocellus got some time to relax, her parents asked her if they could talk to her for a moment.

“We just wanted to know,” her father started, “are you doing okay?”

She nodded. “I admit that it’s getting harder to maintain both my classes, my social life, and being a singer, but I’ll find a way to managed.”

“But are you getting your schoolwork done?” her mother asked.

“Well, I try.”

Her father frowned, “What does that mean?”

“Look, I am doing all I can to complete my assignments, my homework, and all other projects on time and at the best quality. My focus isn’t entirely on music or my friends. I do try to budget in a time where I can complete my schooling.”

“I see,” he nodded, “and I know we had this conversation briefly before, but we just wanted to make sure that this isn’t overwhelming you.”

“Don’t worry dad, I have a good handle on things.”

Her mother sat next to her. “Just understand that since you’ve become a symbol for other Changelings, there’s going to be some high expectations of you that might bring on some serious stress. While you haven’t done anything yet, we fear that there might come a point where this stardom might be proved too much. Just remember that you do have the right to say ‘no.’ That it’s okay to set up limitations. That you can step down when you feel like it’s enough.”

“To tell you the truth,” she said, “I think I already have an idea when this might end for me.”

“You do?” Both parents asked.

“I believe I still have some ways to go. There are still so many songs and a few concerts after this that I feel like I need to do. But I that… maybe, at the start of summer before I go home for the break that would be it for me. I could be off, but in my mind, I have an end goal. A point where I would say ‘That’s all there is, there isn’t anymore.’ It’ll come soon, but I still have several things left to do before that.”

“Even so,” her father said, “all we’re saying is that you should be careful now more than ever. Now that your audience has grown, many are going to look up to you for how they should behave. There is a lot of pressure on that front and if any of the Equestrian tabloids are to go by, they will be looking to you with a very critical eye. The truth is that we’re worried that if you slip, we don’t know how you might handle receiving harsh criticism.”

She winced. As much as she wanted to tell her father that he has nothing to worry about, he is right on this. Ocellus remembers how the original band members were in the course of their careers have been harshly, violently been criticized. She remembers Sandbar telling her that Dawn once joked that they were more popular than Celestia and it got Equestria angry at them for a while. What would happen to the music she was trying to bring back if she made a simple slip up?

“We’re not discouraging you.” Her mother told her, patting her on the back. “What you’re doing is changing the world, and we’re proud of you for having the passion to drive your talent and others to new heights. Just understand that there’s a responsibility to accept the consequences that come with it. If you want to do this, we will be with you as much as we can to support you. At the same time, understand there will be great stress that comes with it.”

“I understand.” Ocellus replied. “But as I promised you two, when I say that I quit, that will be it for me.”


Later that evening after dinner, Changelings have gathered into the Cultural Center of the Hive. An open-aired place of the hive where most activities take place from dancing, craft time, meals, and more importantly, a small stage for the theater. It wasn’t big, but it had enough space for Ocellus and her equipment and instruments. When the hour came, space in the Cultural Center was packed full of the Hive’s inhabitance, ready and excitingly waiting for their shining star to perform.

Ocellus was looking down from a nitch in the wall waiting for her cue. All the while, she noticed that the attendees for this concert were mostly young Changelings like herself. They were waiting, buzzing in anticipation for their hero to arrive. She took notice of how lively they chatted, hoping that The Beatle would sing their favorite song.

Then Thorax came up on stage, raising a hoof to try to get their attention. “Hello, everyling! Welcome to a very special concert for our Music Night, and I can tell all of you are excited.” The audience replied that they were. “I know, I’m just as excited too! After all, it’s no secret that out from this here Hive, we have a genius among us. Not only as a Student representative of us but has surprised everyone with her musical talent. She has contributed with a few other ponies to write out, in my opinion, some of the best music we’ve ever heard.”

There was a cheer from the Changelings.

“We are lucky,” Thorax continued, “that tonight, she has come this way to share her music. So let’s not waste any more time, here she is, the voice that has put Changeling creativity and ingenuity on the map – please welcome Ocellus, also known as The Beatle!”

Hearing her cue, Ocellus flew up much to the applause of the older folks and the screams of the young as she went overhead and towards the tinny stage. Picking up her violin-like bass guitar, she smiled and said: “Hi everyone! How have you been doing?” They shouted saying that they’re good. “That’s great. I can’t tell you how wonderful it is to come back home for a little while. Well, since I’m in such a great mood, how about we start this off with something fun?” She strung a few cords. “Let’s start this off with a Revolution!

With the jumping start of a radical call of the electric guitar and a stop of her hoof on one of the buttons, she led her opening song like a battering ram. The older Changelings were taken aback by this while the younger ones went nuts over it. Then she sang about that since they want an inevitable change, one with real solutions that change minds is natural. But if it’s for prejudice, hatred or destruction, then she wants nothing to do with it. Otherwise, she sings to them, it’s going to be alright.

Ocellus looked out at the crowd and noticed something interesting. From the younger Changelings, there were acting like the other audiences that she had encountered before. Lots of screaming, weeping, and the occasional fainting here and there. However, at the same time, the adults have tried to shush them, to keep it down so that they can hear. But here and there, others were stopping their hooves down to the beat of the song. Even Thorax, the Changeling King, despite the noise, was bobbing his head to the song.

During the song, while she was only playing the guitar solo, she heard from the younger Changelings yell out: “Long live The Beatle! Long live the revolution!


After the concert concluded to roaring applause, Ocellus was approached with a note from Thorax, asking for him to see her. At first, she didn’t know what this meant. Was she in trouble? No… No that couldn’t have been it. She saw that the King was enjoying the music as much as the next Changeling.

Regardless, she was being summoned.

Another Changeling had to lead the way to what was the most forbidding place in the Hive. In her earlier years, Ocellus recalled that the path was once to the personal chambers of Queen Chrysalis. Although recently, it has taken up as the residences of Thorax with colorful lanterns guiding the way to the arched doorway, separated by a curtain of jade beads. Through them, she can see Thorax, his back against her and towards a desk that was carved from the Hive’s walls.

Ocellus cleared her throat, “King Thorax,” she called out, “you wanted to see me.”

Through the curtain, the Changeling King turned around, smiling. “Ocellus, come in! And you don’t have to call me King here. I just wanted to talk.”

Stepping through, she gave a quick bow and asked, “Am I in trouble?”

“What? Oh no.” He said, stepping over to her. “I just wanted to thank you for that concert you put on for us. You must be really busy with being a musician and I thought you might have been busy.”

“And not come back home for Spring Break for a little bit?” Ocellus asked, relieved that she wasn’t in trouble.

Nodding, Thorax craned his neck down until he was at eye-level with her. “Ocellus, I’m going to tell you the truth about something. When I picked you out to go to the School of Friendship as a student representative, I could never imagine that you went above and beyond that. Not only a hard-working student but now a musician that’s changing the world through song. You and I know that us Changelings haven’t been seen by everycreature as anything except… as monsters. But tonight, I saw something in you that not only gave us hope, but pride to be a Changeling.

“What I’m trying to say, Ocellus is thank you. You had the guts to take on the name of something we Changelings hated and turned it into something… inspiring. The Hive will never forget what you have done for us, and for the outside world. For that, we are in your debt. If there is anything from us that could enrich that music you’ve just played, it shall be given.”

For a long, silent, awkward minute, Ocellus didn’t have any words to that. Deep inside, all she ever wanted in life was to earn the respectability and pride of her parents, her king, and her fellow Changelings. Suddenly, her secret wish was granted. From Thorax’s own mouth, he said that she was appreciated for her efforts, for what she was doing. Even though she had to repeat over and over that these songs were not her own, here, she was placed on a pedestal just for singing them.

Finally, she had something to say. “Thorax, no one owes me anything.”

“Your modesty is appreciated, but this is an opinion shared by the Hive. If you need help from us, ask.”

Ocellus looked down. “Well…”

“Yes…?”

She cleared her throat. “Thorax, I’ve told my parents that I don’t plan on doing this forever. I’m doing what I’m doing because to help share the talent of some brilliant ponies while they still can. Regardless of what Pull McCart or Dawn Lemon say, I never wrote a single note of what I sang tonight. I’m only their voice piece to bring their songs to life.

“But, that being said, I think I will need help.”

“Oh?” Thorax tilted his head.

Looking over her shoulder, she said, “Don’t tell anyone this yet, but I’ve started to plan out two very special events before I step down for good. One for the school, and one for… well, everyone. And if I’m going to do it, then I’m going to need all the help I can get.”

“How so?”

She whispered in his ear. The King listened, nodding and taking some mental notes. Then, Ocellus mentioned one last bit that made him crane back straight up in surprise. “What was that last part!”

“I know, it sounds pretty out there.” She said, “But once I get Dawn to write it out and have that particular choir to sing it at that concert… I promise you that it’ll be worth it.”

“I don’t know… the other stuff I’m sure we can help with. But I don’t know if Changelings would sing that for our national anthem.”

“Then at least hear it out,” she said, “Once I get Dawn to write it out, I promise to make sure that you’ll be the first to hear it.”

“Well… no promises on that, but at least I’ll hear you out on that.”

She hugged one of his tall legs, “Thank you Thorax!” She buzzed in excitement. “I promise you won’t regret it.” After another bow, she flew off.