• Published 10th Nov 2019
  • 2,410 Views, 55 Comments

Glow to the Future - PerpetualMotion



In the far future, Twilight finally decides to do something about one of her deepest regrets. Cozy Glow is paroled.

  • ...
3
 55
 2,410

To Ashes

Author's Note:

Hey, sorry this took so long to come out, I've been going through some stuff. I wrote a short blog post about it if you want to know more. Hopefully updates should be more consistent in the future.

Finding cover was a priority number one, this much Cozy Glow knew immediately. Her stunt had given her a head start, but she was far too small to out-speed a fully grown flyer, especially with a passenger, and the fact that they were only halfway up the building when they were ambushed meant that more of their crew were up top at a minimum. Changelings likely weren't capable of the magic being deployed here, either, so it probably wasn't a one species job. Unfortunately, there wasn't a nook or cranny to be found between these buildings. Not unless Cozy wanted to crash through a plate glass window, at least. It took the illusory magic of the changelings for them to hide here, so what chance did they stand? Pretty much none, unless...

"Sparky, can you project a three dimensional image?" she whispered, continuing to fly upwards and put as much distance between herself and their assailants as possible.

"Negative, this unit's projection capabilities are limited to a single plane at any given time."

"Okay, I can work with that, just have to consider the color and glow..." Cozy began frantically scanning everything they passed hoping that she'd get lucky and find what she needed. Fortunately, the building to her left had a faux red brick facade, so that just left... Perfect! Cozy spotted a single overhanging lamp on the wall, illuminating what she assumed was an emergency exit attached to a corrugated steel fire escape. The structure itself was too transparent to hide on, but the lamp illuminated a wide enough swath of the wall to serve their purposes. "Sparky, enter silent mode and project an image of the wall behind me at a downward angle. Make sure that we aren't visible behind it." The pendant pulsed what Cozy could only assume was in the affirmative as she moved into position, hovering near the brick wall, completely illuminated by the lamp above. The Auto Spell then shown its light downward, hiding Cozy and Sable behind a false wall nearly identical to the wall behind them. This was far from perfect, obviously. They were clearly visible from above, and even with the color of the bricks and the light from the lamp, the distinctive hue and glow of the Auto Spell's magic couldn't match up perfectly with their surroundings. The changelings didn't know which direction Cozy had flown in, though, and almost certainly didn't know what they were looking for, so there was at least a fair chance these details would be overlooked. I hope.

"W-what now?" Sable whispered in Cozy's ear, finally speaking up. It was fairly obvious that she had never seen any real action before, despite her previous bravado. As things stood, she was barely holding herself together. "All this does is buy us time."

"I... don't know," Cozy said. "We have to wait for an opening." Unfortunately, it quickly became apparent that waiting wouldn't be an option for much longer. The projected brick wall they were hiding behind wavered slightly for a few moments before beginning to dissolve at the edges, steadily shrinking. "Uh..." Subtle, light pink text appeared in the center of the image, explaining just how bad the situation was.

"Internal shielding insufficient to prevent disruption of external projections. All non-audio or data-based operations will cease in approximately seventeen seconds."

"Looks like time's up," Cozy said, surveying the situation below them. The changelings had fanned out horizontally once they regained their eyesight, probably assuming that Cozy had dived downward once they had seen nothing above them. That was good, since it meant that the distance she had put between them was still intact. It meant that they were just back at square one rather than anywhere worse. "Any ideas?"

"J-just one," Sable stammered. She sighed before continuing, composing herself. "Drop me."

"Excuse me?"

"You heard me. I'm going to jump off, or better yet, have you throw me. I probably can't fly just yet, but I'm sure I can dive and glide. We're high enough up that I can build enough speed and out maneuver them. If I can get beyond the dampening field's perimeter, I can radio back to the castle for help. If I can't, then I'll at least buy you enough time to try and do the same. Something tells me that these guys won't resort to lethal force just yet, anyway." Cozy looked over her shoulder at the raven, trying to gauge just how serious she was. The filly couldn't read her black eyes and avian expression, though, so she just shrugged and reached back so Sable could hop on a foreleg.

Not like I have more than five seconds to think, anyway, she reasoned. "Go get 'em, birdie." Before Sable could even finish shooting Cozy a glare, the pegasus had reeled back and hurled her downwards like a missile, following through with a little mid-air twirl. The raven rocketed through the last of Sparky's projection, disrupting it completely. Shooting past the searching changeling's altitude, she immediately grabbed their attention as she unfurled her wings and stabilized, turning the power of gravity into horizontal movement.

"Get it!" the lead changeling shouted, pointing as the raven. The trio leapt into action to pursue, only for the leader to pause and slowly look upwards, putting two and two together and realizing that Sable had indeed come from above, which could only mean...

"Drat," Cozy muttered, ditching her initially cautious ascension plan for a full aerial sprint. Bug's a bit smarter than I gave it credit for, she thought, glancing over her shoulder to see the singular changeling gaining on her, but thankfully not too quickly. I should be able to clear the rooftops before I'm caught, that'll give me more room to- Before Cozy could finish the thought, green flame enveloped the changeling as he shapeshifted. In its place flew a great, white bird with a pitch-black beak and jagged, black-tipped plumage. He seemed to pause for a moment in its flight, energy crackling across his wings. Okay, maybe a lot smarter. With a singular mighty flap, the lighting bird zapped upward like a bolt of electricity, creating a deafening thunderclap in his wake. Before she could even look forward, Cozy crashed into the rematerialized bird, which immediately transformed back to his original form and snagged the filly with his forelegs, squeezing her tight.

"What... was that... about having a brain?" the changeling taunted between gasps for breath. It seemed that the stunt he just pulled took quite a bit out of him.

If he's that tired, I can just wriggle out of this then... Cozy struggled against the changeling's grasp, not making much headway. She briefly noted that the changeling's legs were, in fact, completely whole, lacking the telltale empty spaces of Chrysalis's former brood. Is black just an aesthetic choice? Or a statement of allegiance? After a few more moments of struggle, any further hope of escape faded as the changeling spat a foul-smelling goo onto Cozy's back, binding her wings in place.

"No time to cocoon you, but that'll do." It quickly became obvious that breaking free at this height would leave Cozy to splat on the concrete below, so the best she could manage was to give an indignant "hmph," put on her best pout, and go back to the original plan. Look for an opening, now just with drastically decreased mobility. "Now, what to do with all this..." the changeling muttered to himself, just loud enough for Cozy to hear. "Radios are out, and I can't just dump her and go back on watch... so I guess I've got to take her straight to the boss? This whole op is such a pain..."

"I'm awfully sorry for all the trouble, Mister Changeling," Cozy said, laying on the schmaltz. "If you could just-"

"Ugh, don't even bother, kid," the changeling half-groaned, already tired of the act. "I overheard enough of your convo with the bird to know you're a royal agent of some kind. That, and only way that fancy pendant of yours would even partially function right now would be if it were alicorn magic. And ordinary, precocious children don't go on cocky rants when cornered. Want me to keep going?"

"Eh, it was worth a shot." After an unsuccessful attempt at shrugging from Cozy, the changeling flew off toward the roof. And so I still get up there after all. Could be worse, at least. Maybe I'll get some answers, and now I don't have to worry about babysitting or being on my best behavior for Twilight's pet. The offices atop the complex were very sleek, with curved windows framing the landing pad that topped it, like it was the center of a big, glass flower. The point of entry the intruders took was obvious, with a large circle cleanly cut out of a window, presumably by magic. A small chunk had been accidentally kicked out of the bottom of the hole, which probably resulted in the glass falling into the alley below. Several shadowy figures shuffled about in the dark. Upon flying through the hole, the changeling tossed Cozy aside rather roughly, the thud of her her hitting the wall drawing the attention of the others.

"R-reporting in, Millie," he panted, the strain of his transformation and hauling cozy up getting to him. "You'll... want to see this."

"What'dya got for us, Thaum?" asked an airy feminine voice, coming from one of the shadows Cozy's eyes hadn't adjusted enough to make out just yet.

"Caught this one snooping around in the alleyway outside, seems to be a royal agent of some kind. She has some alicorn magic gadgetry and an uplifted bird companion. Rest of my crew is chasing down that one."

"She's... just a foal?" The figure stepped forward to get a better look, giving Cozy a chance to look at her in turn. She was a surprisingly petite griffin, with rust-colored plumage, a gray head, and black-tipped wings. Despite her size, though, she didn't carry herself like a child. Her stride was bold and confident, and she regarded Cozy with a bright curiosity in her golden eyes, rather than any outward amusement or pity. "I wasn't aware that child soldiers were in vogue these days."

"She's pretty crafty," Thaum said. "Almost got away even though we got the drop on her."

"She certainly seems to have put you through the wringer," the griffin said, turning away from Cozy to give her underling a concerned once-over. "You overdid it with the transformations again, didn't you?"

"The impundulu might have been a bit overkill, yeah," the changeling rubbed the back of his head sheepishly. "Kept her from pulling any more tricks, at least. Heck, the birdie still might have gotten away anyway."

"I see. That might move our timetable up," the griffin said, turning and making a motion with her talons to the group behind her, the activity in the background becoming a bit more frantic. She then turned back to Cozy, giving her a closer examination. "Cutie mark's a... chess piece, if I'm remembering my history right? Weirdly old school, but indicating of strategic talent. Mane's a mess, no clue what ordeal you've been through to cause that on a plain night like this, though. Choice of clothing is clearly a lazy attempt at tactical gear unbefitting of someone with the princess's resources, meaning you probably rushed into whatever mission you've been sent on without proper prep. Mind if I ask what that mission was, dearie?"

"Would you believe me if I said 'search and rescue'?" Cozy said in her usual cutesy affect.

"Surprisingly, yes." The griffin cracked an amused smile before turning to another figure behind her. "If I remember correctly, my dear client, you said nobody would be looking for you this quickly when we signed on. Clearly you were mistaken."

"Look, Milvus, the Council's never moved this fast before." the figure said. Their voice was rather rough sounding, like a pony who'd spent a whole day shouting. "And Twilight Sparkle doesn't even have any special agents in Canterlot right now, I checked. Wherever she pulled this... child from, it's either very new or very secret."

It immediately clicked for Cozy just who this was, and her smile widened. "Golly," she said playfully. "Twilight and the others figured you'd been kidnapped, or worse, but going off the grid to hire mercenaries and raid an office? You're chock full of surprises, Councilor Scales."

"Just shut up... whoever you are," the dragon said stepping forward into view with a claw on her forehead. She was obviously young, not much taller than Smolder had been in Cozy's time, but a fair bit more angular. Sharper features, downward curving horns, and deep emerald scales with a golden underbelly and frills created a surprisingly striking visage for one so small. "Just forget it! Keep her bound and we'll deal with this later," Scales threw up an arm in frustration, accentuating the fact that her other arm seemed to be... broken. In fact, it wasn't even quite colored like the rest of her, lacking the same texture as her proper scales. It just hung flat at her side, heavy and limp.

A prosthetic? Cozy pondered. She'd seen a few wooden legs or wheels affixed to flanks before, but nothing that detailed. This was the ever-marvelous future, though, so something impressive like that wasn't too unbelievable. It could easily be fully functional, too, merely being disabled by the omnipresent dampening spell. In the end, though, it wasn't super relevant to the situation at hoof, and figuring out exactly what Scales's goal here was would take some more listening and inference. The mercenaries certainly weren't going to tell her directly.

"I'm not sure you're in any position to order us around anymore, Councilor," Milvus said, wagging a talon at the dragon. "We're going to have to cut corners to get done on time now, which means the haul you promised as a secondary objective for this job is going to be vastly reduced. The client only gets to be in charge if they're actually paying us what we're owed. How about you tie the girl up and just be happy we're not sticking you with a bill just yet. You're lucky I actually sympathize with what you're trying to pull here." She turned back to the rest of her team. "Aight, peeps, chop chop! Gather as many of those data crystals as you can before the dampening spell wipes them! Science squad, anything good in the labs?"

"Nothing besides the primary target," a voice answered from deeper in the building. "Might be able to salvage some containment tech if we're careful though. We're working through the last of the mundane shielding now."

"So," Scales said, moving away from the action and picking Cozy up from where Thaum had thrown her, setting her back on her hooves, "tell me, did Twilight really send you to track me down?"

"It took a bit of prodding on my part, but yes," Cozy said. It was the honest truth, even if her outburst had been motivated by frustration at the Princess's apparent weakness rather than any genuine concern.

"And what are you to her?"

"Just the new help. I'm not really an agent or anything."

"And yet you were able to track me down that easily?"

"That was just luck, all your fellow councilors fanned out to search places we figured you might be."

"Those louts, really?"

"You'd be surprised how eager most of them were to do something, even if they're woefully unprepared for it." Cozy gave the dragon an odd look as she casually leaned against the wall. "You aren't going to tie me up?"

"I'd have to track down whichever of these guys has ropes or shackles." Scales shrugged. "Besides, you're not flying anywhere, and definitely not capable of overpowering the goons guarding the stairs, so a pair of eyes on you should be enough." She pushed away from the wall, and motioned with her good arm for Cozy to follow her. "Would a look at what I'm actually doing here will convince you not to turn me in when this is all over and save us all some trouble?"

It was Cozy's turn to shrug, but she still followed. This was the leverage she was looking for, after all. The pair moved through the the hurrying thieves as they ran around digging through desks and cabinets, heading towards a reinforced doorway at the center of the building. A few mercenaries themselves almost stopped them, but a few barked orders from Milvus forced them back on track. Seemed that the griffin was keeping an eye on Scales as much as Scales was watching Cozy, not that Scales seemed to care. The door seemingly had seemingly been pried open with brute strength rather than magic, which made sense given the way the group operated. Inside was wall-to-wall machinery and gauges, all linked by a mess of cables to large a metal tube in the center of the room. A small crew of various creatures was hard at work disassembling the tube's casing, their work illuminated by the bright cyan glow of a singular unicorn's horn, here eyes shut and brow furrowed as she gave what Cozy could only assume was the dampening spell everything she had. A second unicorn stood beside her with a supportive hoof on her back, poised to take over if the primary caster's stamina gave out.

"Sparky, record all this," Cozy whispered to her pendant, though she didn't know if it was capable at the moment. It certainly wasn't capable of indicating anything either way. It was worth a shot, at least.

"What was that?" Scales asked, giving her a suspicious side-eye.

"Just thinking out loud," Cozy lied casually before moving to change the subject. "So what kind of experiment are you stealing? I figured you were doing some sort of vigilante thing, given what I've heard about you."

"Heh, you're not too far off from my initial idea. I just wanted to dig up some dirt, really. Expose the elite's true face to the world they're exploiting. But when I canvased this office two days ago, I caught a hint of what they were really doing, and realized that I needed to take action faster than any way the Council could, so..."

"So she booked a date with us," Milvus said, also entering the lab. The griffin observed the disassembly of the containment chamber rather intently. "I suppose there's no point in removing the little one from the equation at this point, is there? She'd already seen too much once she found you, so we can't do much about that beyond completely eliminating her, which our outfit sure as heck doesn't do. Too messy. You've got the right idea playing the sympathy card."

Cozy had to stop herself from snorting. Sympathy? I guess they expect me to be all hunky dory with the Friendship Regime, so that approach at least makes sense, even if it's turned out to be horribly misaimed. Too bad for them.

"Anyway, I didn't believe Scales here at first. This place does a great job at appearing benign, but some detailed recon confirmed that something pretty messed up was going on. Weird power fluctuations, abnormal security, that kind of thing."

"You're wrong about one thing, though, kid," Scales said. "We're not stealing anything. We're setting something free." At that moment, the team managed to strip off the last bolt on the tube, and the metal coating fell away and clanged onto the ground. Cozy had to shield her eyes as a bright, flickering glow was uncovered, but after a few seconds her eyes began to adjust, giving her a good idea of just what had been locked up in there. It was a large bird, about twice the size of Sable, with brilliant red and gold plumage in a flame-like pattern.

"A phoenix!" Cozy exclaimed, awestruck by actually seeing such a creature in person. Everypony knew that Princess Celestia kept one as a personal companion, but they weren't native to Equestria proper, instead inhabiting forests bordering the Dragonlands. That's where they were four centuries ago, at least. After a few more seconds of staring, Cozy noticed that the bird was suspended in the air by a multitude of restraints and strange tubes, which glowed similarly to the phoenix itself.

"You're pretty well read, I see," Scales said. "The species more or less went extinct in the wild about two hundred years ago, thanks to wasteful overhunting from dragons. Twilight and the Dragonlord intervened in time to save a precious few breeding pairs, which were relocated to a sanctuary whose location is a closely guarded secret. I don't know how SPS got ahold of one, but it's extremely illegal and cruel to keep one captive. Especially like... this" She clenched her claw into a tight fist, incensed by the brazen atrocity.

"How in the world did you find it, though?" Cozy asked. "There's no outward evidence that it's even here."

"Dragon's have a certain... sense, when it comes to fire magic. Dragon breath, nirik flames, even heat conjured by unicorns... they all feel distinct when we're in their vicinity, and my senses just happen to be uniquely keen. I caught the feeling of some sort of flame completely foreign to me when I checked this place out, and process of elimination led me to conclude that it was either a long-lost firebird, or something far more sinister. I almost wish it had been the latter..."

"Poor thing's getting its energy syphoned," Milvus explained. "In theory, a phoenix is an infinite battery of flame and light. You drain it until it's spent, and it crumbles to ash, only to be reborn fresh in a new burst of energy that can itself be harvested. Nobody knows just how many lives one actually has, if there even is a limit, and something tells me that these monsters don't care."

"That's..." Genius! Cozy thought, though she obviously wasn't about to voice the opinion. "...just awful." Obviously these fools were going about this the worst way possible, as thoughtless cruelty towards a living resource only had potential to backfire in the long run. Either someone's sense of justice ruins the plan, as seen here, or an inevitable slip-up happens and the power turns on the one exploiting it. Calculated kindness could allow one to take advantage of another's power without risking either of these things. Make the target think that it was their idea. Still, phoenix energy would be something to keep in mind, if not for the fact that it didn't really exist in this world anymore. I wonder if I could get some other sort of powerful pet?

"Do we have an estimate of how long until the seals fail?" Milvus asked the spellcaster on standby.

"Hard to tell, ma'am. It depends on how strong the unicorn that placed them was and how recently they were refreshed. With the shielding gone, though, I doubt it'll take longer than a minute."

Milvus nodded. "Just get the teleportation spell ready for once it's free and we release the dampening. Poor bird is not going to be happy, so getting it clear is..." The griffin trailed off as the lights of the instruments lining the walls began to glow, various meters fluctuating with readings no one in the room was trained to understand. "What's-" She couldn't even finish the question before the equipment exploded, showering everyone in the room with sparks and broken glass. "Cloudy, report!"

"I-I don't know!" the unicorn answered, somewhat panicked. "None of this makes sense, unless... Oh no..."

"Out with it!"

"The idiots haven't been consistent in their seal maintenance!" the unicorn blurted out, before continuing to rattle off the explanation in a now very panicked rush. "The dampening is causing a cascading failure rather than a simultaneous one! The bird's not free yet, but it's energy is flowing out of singular broken seals as if it were pressurized! We need to clear the area before-" Bolts of energy erupted from the phoenix as it let out a pained screech, scorching numerous spots across the room. One in particular struck the unlucky pair of unicorns in charge of the spells and sending them tumbling into the far wall like rag dolls.

"Cloudy! Neon!" Milvus leapt to the downed unicorns' side, attempting to rouse them unsuccessfully. "Somecreature help me pick them up! We're leaving, now!" Two more mercenaries moved in to assist, and the whole group began rushing out the door as the building's lights flickered back on and alarms started blaring.

"No! We have to get it out!" Scales shouted, rushing towards the phoenix and desperately tearing at the cables and syphons holding it in place with her good arm. The mercenaries knew a lost cause when they saw one, though, and continued their evacuation.

"Local energy concentration reaching critical levels," Sparky said, speaking up now that the dampening field was gone. "Explosion imminent, evacuate immediately."

"You don't have to tell me twice!" Cozy replied, taking off towards the door herself behind the last mercenary. She'd need to take the stairs, since her wings were still bound, but any distance put between her and the coming disaster was good. If Scales wants to martyr herself, that's her business. I'm certainly not going to- Cozy's train of thought abruptly ended as a heavy steel shutter fell across the exit and she slammed headfirst into it.

"SECURITY BREACH DETECTED. CONTAINMENT PROTOCOL ENGAGED," a monotone voice said, crackling out of the room's intercom system.

"W-what?" Cozy groaned as she rubbed her throbbing head. Of course there's still security, idiot! the practical part of her mind told her. The thieves just had it deactivated with the dampening! It quickly dawned on her just how dire this had become. "No... No no no no!" Cozy scrabbled around the shutter and the nearby walls, looking for some sort of release or weakness in the structure to no avail.

"Hey!" Scales shouted at the panicking pegasus. "If you help me, we won't get bits of us scattered all the way to Cloudsdale!"

"R-right!" Cozy tried to swallow her fear (though not with much success) and moved to assist, latching on to whatever dangling pieces of equipment she could get ahold of and pulling as hard as she could. She wasn't even remotely strong enough to make any headway, though. Neither was Scales with just one arm, for that matter. Even with the seals weakened, the physical restraints were just too sturdy. "We need to try something else!" Cozy shouted, scanning the room for anything that might be a failsafe or release switch. It can't end here! Not so soon! She was panicking even more now, darting around Scales's feet and making no progress whatsoever.

"Okay, how about this? Get behind me!" Scales took a wide stance and a deep breath. Cozy barely managed to dive behind the dragon as she unleashed a massive gout of fiery breath, engulfing the phoenix and its containment. The stream lasted for about ten seconds before petering out, Cozy cowering before the display all the while. Scales collapsed onto one knee once it was over, completely spent. "I... hope that didn't hurt..." she muttered at the phoenix. Then, as if to answer her, the world exploded.


Cozy Glow didn't know how much time had passed when she came to. She couldn't see, and she couldn't hear. It was like she was existing in a colorless void. She soon realized that her other senses still worked, and began to piece together what was happening. She was lying on her side on the same cool tile floor she had been standing on at her last recollection. The acrid stench of smoke and things that should not be burning, well, burning clued her in that Scales's flames likely set the phoenix off right then and there. Being right at ground zero of the explosion would account for the blindness and deafness. She could only hope that they weren't permanent.

But why aren't I in pain, then? she wondered. Sensory issues aside, the dull ache in her ears was really the worst of it. She tried to get to her hooves and feel her way around, but she quickly found she could barely move. This was also concerning, but the fact that she could still feel her legs gave her hope that she wasn't just paralyzed. "H... hello...?" Cozy groaned, though she couldn't hear her own voice. Small pinpricks of color were beginning to come back to her vision, slowly bringing her back to reality, but for some reason none of it seemed to matter. She was calm. So calm that she logically knew she should be alarmed about it, but still too calm to care. She just watched with a detached coolness as enough detail returned to the world to show just how bad the situation was.

The lab was gone. In fact, the explosion had blown out the entire floor of the office building and everything above it, leaving her under the open night sky. After another moment of observation, she noticed that she was viewing the stars through a peculiar red tint. The intense, flickering glow of the Auto Spell informed her that the tint was its doing, likely a barrier of some kind. Cracks spiderwebed across the translucent magical surface as yet another nearby glow grew, drawing Cozy's floaty attention to something just outside the shield. The phoenix was still there, held in place by whatever persistent bits of spellcraft still clung to it, even as it struggled. The ground around it was melted and warped by the heat it gave off, and Cozy reasoned that if it weren't for Sparky's defense, she'd be cooked as well. She was still unbothered, though, even as the energy radiating from the phoenix intensified, likely building to another explosion. Scales was nowhere to be seen, but Cozy couldn't even lift her head to look outside her limited field of view.

It was then that Cozy caught movement out of the corner of her eye, though she couldn't muster the strength to look directly at it. It was Sable, landing beside the bubble and raising a wing to shield her eyes from the phoenix's intense light. She opened her beak, obviously speaking, but Cozy still couldn't hear a word of it.

"Oh... Hey..." she answered lazily, wondering why the raven even bothered coming here. She had nothing to gain, after all, and no way to help anyone who had survived. Not that it mattered. Cozy wasn't going anywhere anytime soon, and Sparky's bubble wasn't going to last long enough to take anything more from the phoenix, if it even could in this state. Sable spoke again, took a quick peek at the phoenix, and visibly sighed. Another quick word was spoken, and she closed her eyes, unfurling both of her wings and turning to face the firebird. "What... are you..." Sable blindly launched herself forward, ramming into the phoenix headfirst.

Time seemed to stand still for a moment after the impact, but then a rapid series of small flashes erupted across the phoenix's body, the last of the containment seals unable to take the physical force and dissipating completely. Before Sable's body even hit the ground, though, the phoenix erupted into a column of crimson flames. It was far more contained that its previous outbursts, but just large enough to engulf Sable completely and lick at the edges of Sparky's barrier, the intensity of it finally causing the shield to shatter in a rain of magical particulate. Then, in a flash, it was over. The flames faded, and the blackened phoenix crumbled to ashes as Sable's smoking form was flung a short distance through the air, landing out of Cozy's view. The filly was even less able to look at her now than she was earlier, and what weird, floaty consciousness she had was fading fast now that Sparky's own glow had died out. One final thought drifted through her head before she drifted off to sleep.

What an idiot...