• Published 12th Oct 2019
  • 526 Views, 21 Comments

Highway 35 - raven618



She knew she was a racer, had been her entire life. Now, she had a chance to prove it.

  • ...
2
 21
 526

Start Your Engines

The car raced over the orange track, the speedometer climbing over 200 MPH, the rocky landscape flying past. The track curved into a massive loop-de-loop, carrying the car high into the air. Suddenly, the speedometer started falling, then the car followed suit. The onboard camera revealed that the car has reached the top of the loop before losing momentum.

Static replaced the replay on the screen. A tired looking figure slumped over. ‘Why? Why do I keep failing?’ they asked themselves, mentally. The figure lifted their head to look at the screen, hoping to find some clue that they had missed. None presented itself.

Sighing, the figure got out of the chair and left the observation center. The light of the hallway illuminated the figure revealing to the proverbial bystander that they were an older woman with dull blue skin and long blue and indigo hair. She wore a magenta shirt adorned with a crescent moon design just below the neck. She walked into a recreation room and began making a pot of tea.

“I’ve changed the fuel source. I’ve tried different tire designs and makes. I strengthened the armor and made it lighter.” She said to herself as she picked out a set of tea leaves and added them to the boiling water. “I’ve built a whole new kind of car, the fastest in the world.” She clenched her hand into a fist. “And I still keep failing.”

She reached into the pocket of her pants and pulled out a small photo of a much younger version of herself, standing in front of a line of derby cars with a group of other young children, some younger than she was, some older. She smiled, remembering the good old days when they could just have fun as drivers, even underaged ones.

A metaphorical lightbulb just went off in her head. “Drivers.”

She took the teapot off the stove and poured herself a glass of the hot leaf juice. If she couldn't do it with a new kind of car, maybe what she needed was a new kind of driver. “Instincts, gut reactions, the human quality…”

She shook her head, “No, it’s too dangerous. If something went wrong and they were caught out there alone…” She didn’t want to finish that thought. She took a sip of tea, “Then again… competition can be the breeding ground of inspiration.”

The blue haired woman returned to the observation chamber. She began pulling up different news articles and social media networks. Most of these were discarded, but a few of them…

“Of course, they’ll need cars.” More windows were opened. These displaying different schematics for different cars and trucks. “I think we’re in business.” The woman said with a slightly sinister smile.
= = =
The tropical sun beat down on the Califoalnian coast. Sea foam glistened as the waves crashed against the sandy beach. On top of one of those waves rode two surfboards. One purple with an orange lightning design, the other was the color of the rainbow in a zig-zagging style. The rider of the first surfboard dipped down so she was riding the front of the wave-- except she dipped too far and fell face first into the surf. She tumbled out onto the beach with a very perturbed expression on her face.

“That’s the third time that’s happened!” She yelled. Her orange skin growing more red as her frustration grew. She shook the water out of her purple hair, “Rainbow Dash, what am I doing wrong?”

The other surfer landed on the beach. Her sky-blue skin almost fully covered up by her wetsuit. Her rainbow-colored hair flying free in the salty air. “You gotta stop thinking about your board like it’s your scooter. Don’t land it flat on the water, let the water hold you up.” She then ruffled the younger girl’s hair. “You’ll get it soon, Squirt.” The younger girl smiled at the praise her ‘big sister’ gave her.

“Rainbow Dash!” A yellow skinned girl with soft pink hair ran up to the two, holding a pair of towels. Her left shoulder had a Haywai’ian style tattoo of a butterfly. “Your dad just called. He says he and your mom are ready to leave and you need to bring the car back home now.”

Rainbow Dash groaned. “I’m sorry, Scootaloo. Looks like the lessons are over for today.” The young girl pouted slightly but nodded her head in understanding. “Can you take her home, Fluttershy?”

“Of course, Rainbow.”

Rainbow looked at Scootaloo again, “Happy Birthday, Squirt.” She then left the two as she grabbed her board and began making her way back to her car, no her parent’s car.
= = =
A few minutes later, she pulled the blue Toyota into the driveway where her father was waiting for her. He was a husky man wearing a green polo and khaki pants. A small pile of suitcases sat next to him. “I’m sorry to cut your fun short, Rainbow, but your mother and I need to leave now or we’ll be too late to confirm our reservation.”

“I know, I know.” Rainbow said as she unloaded her surfboard. Her parents had made plans to relive their honeymoon to celebrate their twentieth anniversary. Rainbow would be left on her own for over a week.

“Windy! Did you pack the camera?”

“I’ve got it!” Rainbow’s mother walked out of the house carrying more bags. She had the same skin tone as her daughter and light red hair. She wore an orange button blouse and yellow sweatpants. “Now Rainbow, are you sure you’re ready for this?”

“Yes mom.”

“You know where the fire extinguisher is?”

“Yes.”

“You have the numbers of our neighbors?”

“They’re on the refrigerator.”

“And what number do you call if there is a break in?”

“Windy!” her father cut in. “We have to leave, she’ll be fine.”

Her mother kissed her on the forehead then climbed into the car after her husband. The two drove off down the street at speeds Rainbow wasn’t allowed to reach.

“Bye Mom. Bye Dad.” She said to herself, quietly. “Sigh, goodbye champ. We love you.” She turned around and walked inside the now vacant house. She locked the front door, then went out back. She propped her surfboard against the small shed, then moved over to her fathers putting field. Sitting in the sand trap nibbling on a weed was a Mohave Desert Tortoise.

“Hey Tank.” She said, patting the reptile on the shell, “It’s just you and me for now.” The tortoise looked at her saying nothing. “Well, more than usual.” He resumed eating.

Rainbow went back inside to her room. Lining the walls were posters of different surfing contests she had competed in. Any trophies or ribbons she had won were displayed over the electric fireplace in the living room by her parents. Save one.

Hanging over her bed was a seashell necklace Fluttershy had made when they were in first grade. A couple of bullies had stolen it and Rainbow had challenged them to a race to win it back. She beat them hands down and Fluttershy had given the necklace to her, ‘as a trophy’ she said. That moment had cemented her love of racing and competition. Since then, every junior soccer match, every grade school basketball match, every high school track meet, every surfing contest, her parents had been in the stands, cheering her on. Urging her to do better than she had, to be the best she could be.

She hated it.

Make no mistake, Rainbow Dash loved to go fast, to feel the wind in her hair, the beating of her heart in her chest. It was exhilarating. But she didn’t what her parents to keep that rush going. She wanted to be able to slow down with them. To relax, like she could do with her friends.

That was why she loved surfing. It gave her that same rush, but surfing required her to be calm, to be aware of the moment, where the smallest movement could mean the difference between wipeout and victory.

But here she was, alone. While her parents ran off on another great adventure, she was left in their wake.
= = =
It was hours later, the sun had started to set, staining the ocean red. Rainbow had just finished putting away her diner dishes, when she heard it. A car horn. She went to the front of the house and saw a sight that would change her life.

Sitting in the driveway, was a long blue truck. The cabin area was right at the front with the engine exposed in the rear section. The windshield was curved, and there didn’t appear to be any doors on it at all. Two surf boards sat on the truck’s flatbed. If she were to describe the vehicle in one word, it would have been: futuristic.

The engine rumbled and the entire front part flipped up, allowing access into the vehicle. Rainbow could now see there was no driver. But there was a computer tablet sitting on the driver’s seat. Shockingly, it had her picture on it. It was of her wearing her wetsuit, holding a silver wave shaped trophy.

‘That’s the photo they took of me when I took second in the State surfing contest.’ She thought to herself. She grabbed the tablet, which suddenly caused a computer screen on the truck’s front hatch to turn on.

“Greetings.” Rainbow had to tilt her head up to see what was on the screen. It was an older woman with two toned blue hair and dull blue skin. “Because of your extraordinary abilities, you have been chosen to take part in the World Race.”

Rainbow climbed into the driver’s seat and pulled the hatch closed so she could better see it. ‘World Race?’

“Drivers with unique skills have been recruited from all over the world. Some with experience at the highest levels of professional racing. And others whose full talents have not yet been discovered.” Rainbow pulled out her wallet and looked at her driver’s license. She had only gotten it a few years ago, but she had passed with high marks on the written test, and a perfect score on the practical.

“I’m looking for the greatest driver in the world. If that’s you, then follow the map on the GPS screen.” The screen then changed to a GPS layout, a path detailed the route she would have to make, with the end point being a flashing red dot.

She looked up at her house. The pros and cons weighing in her mind. Finally, she pulled the keys out of the ignition, opened the hatch and stepped out. She tossed the keys up in the air and caught them in a fist.

She pulled out her phone as she went inside, “Hey Fluttershy! Do you think you could house-sit for me for a few days?” She hooked her own keychain onto the truck’s and pulled the necklace off the wall and put it over her neck. “Something awesome just came up.”

Author's Note:

Rainbow Dash: Deora II