• Published 12th Oct 2019
  • 527 Views, 21 Comments

Highway 35 - raven618



She knew she was a racer, had been her entire life. Now, she had a chance to prove it.

  • ...
2
 21
 527

Pit Stop (Crew Teams)

The racers had all gathered in an exact replica of the garage Luna had first gathered them in. “From now on, you will race as teams.” She said from another spinning screen. “As the winner of the first leg of the race, Rainbow Dash will have first choice of five new drivers to add to her Wave Rippers team, assuming Miss Sparkle is willing to join her.” The two blue dressed girls looked at each other and nodded in agreement. “The other teams will be recruited and lead by Miss Rarity, Pinkie Pie, Applejack and Sunset Shimmer.” The four girls seemed proud of themselves, save Sunset who still felt bitter for placing fifth. “Do you have the courage to continue the World Race? Into a world that’s totally unknown?”

“I’m in!” Sunset declared.

“As am I.” Rarity joined her.

“Just try to keep me out of it.” Pinkie said, jumping up and down slightly.

“Do we still get five million dollars?” Applejack asked.

“Five million, for every member of the winning team, and the knowledge that you are the fastest racer in the world.”

The other racers looked among each other, before each of them agreed to continue the race. Each of them, save one.

The screen suddenly went dark. From behind the drivers, a door opened. There stood Luna in the flesh. “Very good. Now, assemble your teams. Once you have, I can tell you what really lies at the end of Highway 35.”
= = =
A figure in a black suit walked down the hallway, they stopped at the door leading into Luna’s office. They were about to open it when the door suddenly opened on its own.

“Spitfire, I was expecting you.”

The fiery haired girl walked into the room and took a seat in front of the desk, her black Scorchers uniform squeaking slightly.

“I have a feeling I already know what you are going to say, but I’ll let you say it anyway.” The older woman’s demeanor made the pilot feel like she was back in high school, seated before the Vice Principle.

“You should have made me the leader of one of the teams. I have more experience than the others, and more discipline.”

“That may be so, but you still came in last place for the first leg of the race. Do you know why?”

“Because the other racers kept taking reckless chances and got lucky.”

“Really?” Luna grabbed a desktop monitor and turned it around so Spitfire could see it. The monitor displayed the camera feed from her Muscle Tone when she went over the detour in the volcano. “Or was it because you played it safe and took an unnecessary detour? I told you the Scorcher cars could drive through lava safely. You tested the equipment yourself.”

“I deemed it to be an unnecessary risk.”

“And it cost you the race.”

“I was already in last place.”

“And if I had eliminated the driver in last?” Spitfire’s eyes widened, “I had toyed with the idea before the race started, an extra incentive to get you all to perform your best. But then I saw how you were all getting along together. Even before I declared the teams, each of you were making friends and having fun. All except for you and Miss Shimmer.”

Sunset Shimmer. The other Scorcher and Spitfire’s team leader if she was to continue racing. “I can understand you not wanting to work with her,” Luna continued, “she is a rebel and you are a soldier. But I am a firm believer in the idea that the best in a person can be brought out by facing their mirror. I understand the two of you were not so different once upon a time.”

She pulled a tablet out of her desk. It was the same one that had been in Spitfire’s car when she had been recruited. The image on the tablet was a police photo of a much younger Spitfire with soot and smoke around her eyes and neck. “The fire at the mall. My greatest mistake.” She said solemnly.

“Is that what you think?”

“Of course! I broke the law! And because of it, my father disowned me, and I was kept out of the Wonderbolts for three years!”

“And you saved a young boy’s life in the process.” Luna moved to put the tablet away but was stopped when Spitfire grabbed her hand. The younger woman looked at the image of herself. Her eyes were bright, bright and full of defiance, brighter than she ever remembered seeing them.

“I’ve been told it was a stupid mistake. And they were right, I could have gotten us both killed. But when I go back and think about what I could have done differently, I do it all over again, motorcycle theft and all.” She looked up at the blue haired woman. “Why did you choose this picture?”

“Because if I wanted a good pilot, I wouldn’t have called Captain Spitfire. What I wanted was a woman who was willing to put herself in danger to save others. That is why I recruited you, Serenity Firefly.”

Spitfire gasped; she hadn’t been called by that name in years. A cough drew her attention to the open door behind her where Sunset Shimmer stood. “I’m sorry for eavesdropping, but if you feel that strongly about the matter, I’ll let you lead the Scorchers Team.” She pulled out a folded-up driving suit with a 29 printed on it. “It’s all yours.”

Spitfire stood up, walked over to the long-haired girl, and pushed the uniform back towards her. “Keep it. Luna’s right, I’ve been playing it safe for a bit too long. I’ll race on your team, but if I say something is too dangerous, you listen to me.” She held out her hand. “Deal?”

Sunset grabbed the offered hand firmly, “Deal. Now, let’s go make a winning team.”
= = =
A plethora of different cars sat outside the compound. Many of these where standard commercial vehicles bringing in new drivers. The rest were the official vehicles made by Luna for the World Race. Many of the new drivers were milling about and getting acquainted with their new teammates and their new rides.

Twilight, whose driving suit now featured a stylized 2 on the right shoulder, was tuning up her Nomad while waiting for one particular vehicle. “Hey, Twi!” She paused in her work to see her team leader approaching with another girl following behind her. She was about the same age as Rainbow, with long pink hair and a tattoo on her left shoulder. “Fluttershy, this is Twilight Sparkle. Twilight, this is my soul sister and our new teammate, Fluttershy.”

“Aloha.” Twilight said, shaking the girl’s hand.

“Aloha.” Fluttershy smiled as she returned the greeting, “Are you from Haywai’i?”

Twilight was taken aback as she started speaking in near perfect island tongue. “Yes, me and my family moved there when I was little. What about you?”

“My father grew up Honolio, but he moved to Califoalnia when he married my mother. So, I grew up learning Haywai’ian and English.” She looked over at a very lost looking Rainbow Dash. “Speaking of which, we better stick to mainland speak, otherwise she’s going to think I’m giving away all her secrets.”

“Hey! You two aren’t talking about me, are you?”

Both girls giggled before a car horn sounded. “He’s here!” Twilight quickly ran to meet a white cruiser. “Shiny!” Stepping out from the car was a young man with white skin and three toned blue hair. He wore a purple t-shirt with a blue shield design covering the front.

“Twily!” He scooped the smaller girl into a bear hug and the two spun around for a bit.

“Rainbow, Fluttershy,” Twilight said once the newcomer had put her down, “This is my older brother, Shining Armor.”

“Hello.” Shining Armor said, “So you’re Rainbow Dash, huh? Thanks for keeping my little sister safe.”

“No problem. Come on, let’s get you two some cars. Since you guys showed up first, you get first pick.”

“How many other racers are there?” Fluttershy asked.

“Per team, it’s seven drivers. We have two more who will be getting here later, and we’re still trying to decide on a seventh.” Twilight said as the four entered the compound. Separate from the main briefing area and sleeping barracks was a garage filled with different cars and mechanic equipment. One section was devoted to the new Wave Ripper cars, sleek cars done up in different shades of blue over varying grey tones, now newly numbered 1-7. Fluttershy was drawn to a gold colored convertible called Stingray, while Shining choose a white and black truck that Luna had called Switchback.

“Alright! Now that you’ve got cars, let’s get you some practice time. The other team leaders, Rarity, Pinkie and Applejack said they were going to be making a public track for everyone to use.”

“Wait, Rarity and Applejack? The same Rarity and Applejack from Canterville, USA who tied in the Canterville horse derby a few years ago?”

“Yeah. Why, you heard of them?”

“Oh no.”

The sound of a very large crash sounded throughout the compound. Nearly every single driver was there looking on at the purple minivan that had skidded into a purple Road Beast car with two back fins curving in towards each other. The Road Beast driver was a girl with wild electric blue hair and purple sunglasses. And crawling out of the other car were…

“Sweetie Belle!” Rarity scoffed.

“Apple Bloom!” Applejack scolded.

“Scootaloo?” Rainbow said, bewildered.

“Hey.” All three girls said, rather humiliatedly.

“What are you doing here?” Rainbow asked.

“With my car!?” Rarity added.

“We heard ya’ll were recruitin’ drivers for a race…” The red-haired girl with the bow started.

“…And we wanted to join your teams.” The girl with the pink and lavender hair finished.

Applejack sighed, “How did ya’ll even get here?”

“It was her.” Each one said, pointing at another.

“Me?” Apple Bloom said, “It was Scoots who told us about the World Race!”

“Yeah, but Sweetie was the one who borrowed her sister’s car.” Scootaloo retorted.

“But Apple Bloom was the one who actually drove us here!” Sweetie Belle replied.

“ENOUGH!” Rarity shouted, ending the girls bickering, “You are all going straight home, this instant! You are all far too young to even think about competing in something like-”

“We’re not babies!” Sweetie Belle shouted, “Ever since you and Applejack started racing, you keep leaving us behind, because we’re too young. Well we’re not too young anymore! We’ve all passed our drivers test-“

“With flying colors!” Scootaloo added.

“So please, sis, let us prove what we can do.” Apple Bloom finished. The sincerity of the girls words was felt by everyone present, even those who had no say in the matter.

Rainbow Dash looked at Scootaloo, she had cut her hair short, giving her a tom-boyish look. “Do you feel the same way Scoots? Like I’m forgetting about you?”

The now sixteen year-old averted her gaze, barely able to hold the tears back. She was startled when she felt a pair of arms pull her into a hug.

“Scootaloo. I will always find time for you. You don’t have to follow me to the ends of the earth for that.” She pulled away and looked her in the eyes. “But if this is what you want, I won’t stop you.”

Scootaloo put on her best game face. “I want to race with you. And be standing by your side when we win.”

Rainbow smiled, “Then let’s get you some wheels, Squirt.”

Applejack looked at her little sister, “Apple Bloom. I want you to know that you are absolutely, fool hardy, stubborn, and pig-headed. In other words, you’re an Apple.” Apple Bloom beamed. “And I think we got a spot on the team for ya.”

Rarity turned to her sister, then to her car, “Sigh, Mom and Dad are not going to be happy with you.”

“If you won’t take her, I will.” Pinkie said.

Rarity grabbed her sister’s head and held it in her arms, “If you think I’m letting my Shweetie Belle on that track without me then you are sorely mistaken!”

“Rarity! Air!” Sweeite squeaked from her sister’s chest. The whole group started laughing as they dispersed. Away from the crowd, Luna and A.K. Yearling watched the event in silence.

“You really going to allow this?” Yearling asked.

“’Those whose full talents have yet to be discovered.’” Luna quoted her words from the first recruitment. “As long as their sisters and friends are there to watch out for them.”

Yearling shrugged and began to walk away, “I need to go check on my own team, see if they have any potential.”

“I take it you let Miss Pie choose each of the team members?” The silence was telling. “You need to let people in, DeeDee.”

“I could say the same to you, Lulu.”
= = =
Once each of the racers had arrived and been issued cars and suits, Luna called another meeting. The room was packed with 35 drivers, each one divided into one of the five teams.

“The Accelerons built the track we call Highway 35 because they loved racing. I believe that only the challenge and spirit of competition can take a driver through to the end.” A pair of Street Breed racers, a blue skinned girl with cherry hair and a pink skinned girl with green hair and pink headphones, began to converse with each other, only to get hushed by an older Scorcher. “But why is it important to reach the end of the track?”

The rotating screen shifted it’s display to one of an old stone tablet, “This ancient inscription describes a ‘Wheel of Power’ that will be found at the end of Highway 35. I believe it will be the greatest source of energy the world has ever known. Work with your teams and win the World Race. Prove you’re the best drivers in the world and bring me the Wheel of Power.”
= = =
Later that night, on a cliff overlooking the training area, a lone figure in black stood next to an equally black car. The figure wore a suit made to look like muscled flesh with V shaped armor on their shoulders. Their helmet was equally black, the face shield doing a perfect job of concealing their identity. The only give away was the obvious feminine curves to their figure. The car was a simple design, only standing out because of the raised tail fin. It lacked any form of markings and the windows were tinted a deep red.

The figure received a signal and pressed the receive button on their dashboard. The onboard computer displayed a green audio bar, the only indicator that there was someone on the other end.

“Luna’s told the drivers about the Wheel of Power.” The caller said, their voice definitely female. “The next leg begins tomorrow.”

“I’ll be ready.” The voice filter on the driver’s helmet gave them an otherworldly quality.

“You had better be.” A harsher, also filtered voice broke over the radio, the audio line rising up to make way for a second, gold colored line. “After your first failure you had better bring us some real results, Zed 36!”

The driver turned away from the monitor, “I don’t need any patronizing from you, Echelon.”

“Nevertheless,” the first voice said, “we are paying you to keep her from obtaining the Wheel of Power. And we can find others who will get us results.”

“You don’t need to worry. I will do whatever you ask.”

“I know you will, my love.” A kissing noise was heard before the channel closed. The helmeted driver put her fingers to where her lips would be, then placed them against the screen, returning the kiss.

Author's Note:

Fluttershy: Stingray
Shining Armor: Switchback
Vinyl Scratch: Power Rocket
Zed 36: Lotus Esprit