• Published 15th Dec 2011
  • 3,192 Views, 40 Comments

More than a Galaxy Away - Sundancer



A Miralukan finds herself in a new world as she runs from the Great Jedi Purge

  • ...
2
 40
 3,192

Arrival

Damaya Tadro was in quite a predicament. She was piloting her single crew starship, the Imaharo, through uncharted space in the galaxy. After the Great Jedi Purge, she took to a life of exploring the vast swaths of the galaxy left unexplored. This particular sector was completely unheard of, not even idle chatter about it at cantinas. This slightly unnerved her, but she pushed her doubts to the back of her mind and pressed on, concentrating to extend her force sight. Being a Miraluka this was rather easy, seeing as she relied on force sight exclusively. Her Jedi training granted her much greater discipline, allowing her to extend her vision for thousands of kilometers through the relatively quiet void of space. She was so intently focused, however, that she didn't hear the alarm sounding on the control panel in front of her seat until she was thrown across the cockpit from the ship violently shaking.

She rubbed her head as she manipulated her vision around the interior of the ship, checking for any damage, and apart from everything not nailed down being thrown onto the floor, there was only minor hull damage. She climbed back into her captain's chair as she focused on the glowing holopanel in front of her, trying to determine the cause of this interruption. She remembered to fasten her safety harness thankfully, as the ship was violently thrown around again, knocking out the power and plunging the entire ship into the red glow of the emergency lights. With a sigh she realized the attack had specifically aimed to knock out her communications and sensor relays. Thanks to her talent with force sight however, she knew that the hull was breached and she would lose life support in less than an hour. Even though she couldn't see her assailant she knew she needed to find somewhere to land, so she extended her vision again, pushing herself far beyond her limit, finding a disturbingly nearby planet that the sensors had somehow missed before. She knew she didn't have the time or the energy for a few cursory scans of the planet, but hoped it was at least moderately habitable. With all of her remaining energy, she tapped into the force to give her ship a good fling towards the planet, hoping she came down soft as she blacked out from the exertion.


Meanwhile in Ponyville, resident egghead princess Twilight Sparkle was out on her balcony stargazing, recording her findings for some obscure astronomy book. As she focused her telescope on a constellation she had been observing for a few days now, she raised an eyebrow as a large flash temporarily blinded her. She recoiled from the lens with a quiet little shriek as she rubbed her eyes with a forehoof. She had seen meteors before, but never close enough to where one actually blinded her. She reckoned that it would actually impact near Ponyville, a thought which was quickly confirmed by the incredibly loud bang that probably woke up most of Ponyville. She quickly wrapped herself in a scarf and put on a fuzzy purple hat to keep warm, figuring the townsponies are probably freaking out right about now and would want answers. She quickly left the treebrary and made a beeline towards Town Hall, already seeing other confused ponies tiredly shuffle out of their homes.

By the time she made her way to the center of town a large group of concerned ponies had already started raising hell to a very disheveled Mayor Mare, who was trying fruitlessly to bring order back. She spared a glance towards Twilight, breathing a small sigh of relief as she knew the townsponies would probably listen to Twilight, she is a princess after all.

Twilight sped up her pace, cantering up to the back of the podium and exchanging a few whispered words with the Mayor. Her horn lit up as she amplified her voice, not quite to Royal Canterlot Voice levels, but loud enough to be clearly heard over the panicked murmur of the ever growing crowd.

"Excuse me, everypony. Please, calm down. There's no need for alarm here. I know we've been through some... interesting times these last few months, but for once this is not something you all need to worry about." She smiled slightly as the crowd immediately quieted down.

She glanced quickly through the crowd, noticing all her friends standing off to the side in a group, no doubt waiting to talk to her personally after she was done. Focusing back on the crowd, she continued. "I believe it is nothing more than a meteorite that has landed..." She paused as she looked around quickly, seeing the faint vapor trail barely contrasting against the night sky. "Actually it looks like it landed in the Everfree Forest. It's a rare, but not totally unheard of occurance, and I recommend that everypony just goes back to sleep."

Twilight was happy to note that the crowd seemed to accept this answer, as the crowd slowly dispersed and returned to their homes. Taking a few steps from the podium she joined her friends who had been waiting patiently to the side.

"So it was justa meteorite, Twilight? No weird magic hubbub, no evil baddie tryin' t' take over Equestria? Justa common, normal space rock?" Applejack asked with her eyebrow raised, not entirely convinced that for once Ponyville was subject to a natural occurrence.

Twilight chuckled a bit at the farmpony's suspicions. "Applejack, I am fairly certain it's just a meteorite. I was out stargazing when it passed overhead."

Rainbow Dash interjected this time, "You gotta admit though Twilight, when do normal things ever happen in Ponyville?"

Twilight frowned a bit, "...alright you do have a point. We can go check it out in the morning. For now why don't we all just go back to bed."

"But if it is something dangerous, don't you think that deserves immediate action? Why I couldn't stand the thought of simply going back to sleep knowing Ponyville could be in danger!" Rarity was the one to speak up this time.

"Alright, alright. We'll go check it out. I didn't realize you would all be so eager to trek through the Everfree Forest at two in the morning." Twilight relented.

Fluttershy squeaked out from behind Pinkie Pie, "O-oh... um... Twilight. I ah, I'm not too sure about going into the E-Everfree Forest this late. I don't even like going into it during the day...

Pinkie Pie took it from here, turning around to address the cowering pony behind her. "Aw come on Fluttershy, Twilight's a princess now! She could totally like, shoot lasers at any of the big nasties in that dark old forest! Not to mention your Auntie Pinkie would be here with you!"

Twilight was about speak up that she couldn't actually shoot lasers or anything of the sort, but a quick nudge in the flank from Applejack got her to stay quiet and go with it.

"Not to mention if anything tries to attack us I would totally just fly up and buck it into next week!" Rainbow gave a confident swish of her tail as she straightened her posture and struck a pose.

"A-alright if you guys say so..." Fluttershy quietly relented, trusting in her friend's words.

As the group neared the large column of smoke emanating from the forest ahead, Twilight could make out a large crater, riddled with small fires and broken trees. Laying in the center was what looked like a large yellow... volleyball almost. There was some sort of red lettering on the side that she couldn't make out. There was other debris scattered around the area, large chunks of still smouldering metal. Twilight immediately knew this was no simple crater.

"Girls... are you all seeing what I'm seeing?" Twilight looked over to gauge all of her friend's reactions. Gaping mouths and wide eyes galore. Well, at least she wasn't the only one completely shocked by this.

Twilight was actually surprised by the size of the crater, it was a good 100 meters wide at least, and judging from the shockwave that nearly shattered every window in Ponyville, whatever hit was certainly pretty big. Twilight's train of thought was interrupted however when the big yellow volleyball in the middle started deflating and opening up. She could feel her heartbeat speed up and her ears twitch nervously.

"Girls... I really don't like this..." Twilight slowly backed up, the rest of them following quickly as they all ducked into some shrubbery at the edge of the crater.


Damaya's head hurt. She winced as she reached up to rub her head. The movement caused her to let out a wracking cough, however. She was immediately aware of the immense, burning pain coming from her abdomen. Her training was probably the only thing keeping her from screaming bloody murder. She tried to take a few shallow breaths, each one sending a lance of pain straight up her body. She couldn't see a damn thing, deeming keeping herself alive more important that focusing on establishing her sphere of vision. She reached out with a hand tentatively, grimacing at the pain of such an act, though she managed to find the release lever. She still didn't know if this planet's atmosphere was breathable or not, but hopefully the built in safeties wouldn't release the pressure if it wasn't. She held her breath and bit her lip as she pulled the lever, grunting at the physical exertion.

Thankfully the atmosphere was breathable, as she felt the rush of cold air, incredibly cold air. Just her luck that it would be Winter where she landed. Grimacing yet again at the cold air agitating her many open wounds, she tried to devise a plan for removing this object from her abdomen without immediately going into shock. She could feel that the pole was attached to the pod, so she would only need to stand up to pull the pole out through her back. She figured that it was either do it really quickly and hope she doesn't pass out immediately, or sit here resigned to her fate and die slowly.

Damaya was in a world of pain. She now laid a few feet from the capsule, face first in the snow bleeding out a lot more than she was a second ago. She could feel herself slipping away, even her extreme mental fortitude was nothing compared to the amount of pain she was feeling right now. A small part of her wished this was a lightsaber wound, at least then she wouldn't be bleeding so damn much. That was quite a silly thought to have as she passed out.


Twilight was in a state of disbelief. She looked over to the others once again. "Girls... I really don't like this." The others just nodded dumbly as Twilight turned back to look at the... thing that had come stumbling out of the yellow volleyball. Well, that description wasn't entirely accurate anymore. She could see now that it was in fact some sort of chair that had been surrounded in some sort of protective, inflatable bubble. What worried her the most though was that the figure came stumbling out on two legs, before collapsing and remaining motionless. Twilight briefly thought that whatever this... creature is it must be really hurt. She didn't get a chance to finish that thought however as one of the ponies broke from their cover and was galloping straight for the downed figure. Twilight couldn't believe her eyes.

"Fl...uttershy...? Fluttershy what are you doing!?" Twilight gawked.

Fluttershy ignored the quickly rising protests from her friends. She had been scared at first, immensely scared in fact. She was worried she was going to rip out Pinkie's tail, she was clutching it that hard. When she saw that figure stumble out and collapse though, something inside her head clicked. This was a creature that needed help, she remembered back to that time an incredibly bloodied and battered fox stumbled up to her and collapsed when she was tending to her garden. Why should she treat this creature any different? Before she even knew it her hooves were carrying her faster than she thought she could gallop towards the wreckage.

Twilight and the others immediately got the message, tearing out of their cover after Fluttershy, shouting garbled protests at her simultaneously.

Fluttershy got there first, seeing the creature close up for the first time. She was definitely right that it was injured, blood quickly staining a large area of snow underneath it. What was odd is that she had never seen anything like this creature before. It was clothed in simple robes of differing hues of blue, though it was quickly being stained red. Fluttershy pushed all of her thoughts about what this thing was to the back of her mind, focusing instead on all of her experience mending the animals around her cottage. She could tell it was still breathing, though they were very shallow breaths. It definitely had a large puncture wound, judging from the blood stains on the robes, and the gaping hole by the largest stain. She needed to get it back to her cottage, she had a first aid kit that was fully stocked thanks to the generosity of Nurse Redheart. It was probably too injured to move all the way to Ponyville Medical. She managed to undo the sash on its robe, and use it as a sort of temporary bandage, though that was the most she could do right now.

The others crowded around her, though they remained silent and let Fluttershy do her work. Eventually though, Fluttershy got to her hooves, and was immediately bombarded with questions. And of course everyone talked at the same time so Fluttershy didn't understand any of it.

Fluttershy possessed an authority she only ever had in situations like this. "Girls, please. We need to get this creature back to my cottage, it will never make it all the way to the hospital. Me, Applejack, and Twilight will carry it across our backs. Rarity and Pinkie Pie can lead us back out through the forest towards my cottage. Rainbow Dash, I need you to fly to Ponyville Medical and tell them to bring their trauma unit to my cottage."

The other girls were a little shocked, to say the least. They had never heard Fluttershy so authoritative before, they all just dumbly nodded and followed her directions wordlessly.


After many hours of very careful work, Doctor Stable (the doctor that was on call that night) was able to safely say that he had stabilized the creature. It was a little shaky at first, as he didn't even know what species he was working on (which he would later regard as the strangest call he'd ever gotten). He quickly realized that he was working on what was basically a monkey, and scowled when he questioned why they didn't call for the vet. Grievances aside, the creature was certainly an oddity. It didn't have any hair on its body besides its head, nor did it have any eyes. There were certainly sockets where eyes were supposed to be, but they were simply empty. There wasn't even any scar tissue, as if it never had any eyes to begin with. It was certainly also female, as they determined from its... well, anatomy, though it seemed far more developed than just a simple primate. He resigned to leaving it in Fluttershy's care, confidant that it was stable and knowing she had the expertise to tend to it. That, and he wasn't keen on the idea of bringing this thing into Ponyville.

Fluttershy bid farewell to all of her friends, promising to let them know as soon as the creature woke up. Rainbow Dash was the hardest to convince, she kept insisting that she should stay too because the thing could very well be dangerous. Fluttershy had a feeling though, she couldn't quite put her hoof on it, but she just felt like a... an aura of goodness around this thing. She reassured Rainbow that if this thing was dangerous Angel would definitely protect her. The little rabbit hadn't left the endtable next to the bed, a carrot perched against his shoulder like a royal guard. Rainbow Dash hesitantly accepted this answer, but promised she would be back every day to check on Fluttershy. Fluttershy smiled as she finally convinced Dash to go home, smiling to herself as she returned to the guest bedroom they had set up for the creature.