• Published 13th Oct 2019
  • 1,351 Views, 27 Comments

PRINCE GALLUS? And the Trial for the Throne - Hopeful_Ink_Hoof



After being told that he is lost royalty, Gallus goes to Griffonstone to take the throne, but first, there it a trial that he must pass.

  • ...
0
 27
 1,351

Before the Mighty Cave

According to Greta, King Grover had wanted to prevent the infighting to happen again. So he had created "The Trial for the Throne." The idea had been that, if there was no proper heir to the throne, then any griffon who was willing to face The Trial, and should they succeed, they would prove themselves worthy of rule, and have the right to take the throne. After the loss of The Idol and King Grover's passing with no heir, many tried. Few returned, and those that did would say nothing of what they had been through.

Now, Gallus the griffon stood before Trial of the Throne Mountain, shortened to "Throne Mountain" over the years. A sheer tower of stone that must have been a mile in height. It was a reminder of what "looming" meant. A cave entrance stood ahead, one he would have to enter, and face whatever laid beyond it, alone.

Although, he was not alone just yet. Princess Twilight and Gilda stood nearby and...

"Gallus!" Silverstream called out as she flew toward him. "Gallus! Gallus! Gallus!" She flew around to face him. "Look what I got!" The hyper hippogriff held up a shirt in her talons. On the front was a crudely drawn circle, painted in to look something like his head if the artist had been drunk and squinting. Above the circle was written, "I SAW THE KING," and beneath it, "CONQER THE MOUNTAIN!"

"That's nice," Gallus said flatly, rolling his eyes.

"I know!" Silverstream squealed out as she clutched the shirt against her. "Now when you're king of the griffons, I'll have a souvenir to prove that I was there."

Her and so many others. After the story had been told and it was decided that Gallus would attempt The Trial, word had gotten out. Seeing an opportunity to make some bits, a bunch of griffons had set up stands. They were selling food, drinks, souvenirs, and some even had games that could be played. Other griffons had shown up as well, wanting to see what would happen with Gallus one way or the other. Still others have shown up since, either curious about what was going on, or just because it was something to do.

The entire thing had practically become a festival. Greta was even taking Guinea around to see everything, and Gilda had grumbled about wishing she had known, so they could have set up a booth as well.

"And how's the other shirt selling?" asked Gallus.

Silverstream shifted, looking up and away from Gallus.

"What other shirt?" she asked in a rather subdued tone.

"The one they're selling that commemorates my failing."

A nervous laugh escaped the hippogriff as she put the shirt away. She then flew in and hugged Gallus.

"You don't need to worry about that," she said as she gave him a pat on the back. "You're going to do great."

"We all believe that," Princess Twilight Sparkle stated as she moved closer. "Are you ready to begin?"

"No," Gallus huffed, pulling away from the hug. "But I'm as close as I'm ever going to be."

Twilight smiled as her horn lit up. She gave the saddlebag he was wearing one last adjustment.

The stories said that any griffon that was to undergo the trial had to do so alone. However, there had been nothing about carrying some supplies with them. So the little group had filled a pair of saddlebags for him to take with him. It included some bits, a few gemstones, a first aid kit, some scones, two canteens of water, a blanket, and a bunch of glow sticks. Hopefully, he would not need any of it, but better to have and not need.

"You can do this, Gallus," said Princess Twilight Sparkle. "Just trust yourself, and remember what you're working for."

He gave a nod, then turned to Gilda.

"If I die, I am so haunting you," he declared.

"Great," Gilda huffed, rolling her eyes. "Just what I need. Your whining at me for the rest of my life." She then stepped closer and gave him a punch on the shoulder, making Gallus stumble to the side. But only a step or two.

"Seriously, though," the griffoness said, "good luck in there."

Resisting the urge to rub his shoulder, Gallus gave a nod. He stepped away from the others and turned toward the cave. Head high and chest out, he started marching forward. As he approached the entrance, his traitorous wings and tail give flicks of nervousness.

Stopping at the entrance, Gallus took a slow, deep breath as he got ready to step in.

Then another.

A third.

One more for luck.

He gave a shake of his head. No more procrastinating. He had a job to do, and by... Grampa's Fez! (that seemed as good a thing to swear by as anything else)... he was going to do it. Gallus lifted his left foreleg, lowered it until it stopped shaking, lifted it again, and stepped inside. When nothing happened to instantly tried to kill him, he took another step forward. Then another, and another. After ten whole steps, he was inside and nothing had tried to him... yet.

As expected, the cave grew darker and darker as Gallus made his way deeper. Once it finally reached too dark for him to see, he reached into the bag and pulled out one of the chemical glow sticks. A snap of the glass vial inside, a shake of the stick, and the little tube gave off a pale blue light that shined off the stones.

Gallus froze, throat going dry as his heart pounded in his chest.

Had... had the walls always been this close? Or had the passage gotten smaller since he started? He started taking short, fast breaths, suddenly unable to get enough air. His heart sped up, slamming into his rib cage at the speed of a hummingbird. It was bad enough that he had agreed to this stupid trial, that he was stuck in a lousy cave with no clear sky above him, with no way he can fly if he needs to, why did it have to be so small?

Did they pack a paper bag? He needed a paper bag.

Why was there no paper bag?!

Closing his eyes as tight as possible, Gallus tried to calm down. Focus on his breathing. Slowly in through the nostrils, then out through the mouth. He pictured a place he felt safe, comfortable, relaxed. The Clubhouse of Harmony. He was there with his friends, sprawled out on the floor as they laughed about something.

He was at graduation. Grampa Gruff tells him how he knew Gallus could accomplish something if he tried. The old buzzard then whacked him with the cane and yelled at him not to waste it.

He was at a different graduation, the one where he finished basic and became a guard. The griffon is standing before a grinning Princess Twilight Sparkle, and a stoic looking Commander Tempest Shadow. The princess officially welcomes him into her guard. The commander says he has potential.

He is back in the present. His breathing is regular. His heart beat has slowed down. He was not completely okay, but he had his fear under control.

Opening his eyes Gallus continued forward.