• Published 30th Sep 2019
  • 1,320 Views, 52 Comments

Scars in the Sky - Toriandthehorse



War isn't easy for anypony. Not even for mares like Rainbow Dash. What's her before and after?

  • ...
3
 52
 1,320

1 - Future Scars; Future Stars (prologue)

It was nighttime in the land of Equestria. Luna’s moon shone bright, stars aglow and twinkling. The towns were still; ponies fast asleep. It could have been frozen in time, if not for the soft wingbeats from two lone pegasi, taking off from the edge of Cloudsdale. They were Wonderbolts, one a stallion, one a mare. Soarin and Rainbow Dash. Their blue coats lit up from the reflection of the moon. They were quiet, just beating their wings and flying together.

Rainbow stole a glance at her partner. He stared straight ahead, not even blinking. She let her gaze linger a moment, then turned back to the path. Today had been hard on both of them. Tomorrow would be harder.

“You wanna sit?” Rainbow gestured to nearby cloud. It was rather high up, with a beautiful view of the glimmering night sky.

“Sure.” Soarin angled his wings, landing gently on the soft surface. He felt the cloud shift as his marefriend settled in beside him. Their manes blew back with the gentle breeze. Their exhales made little clouds that vanished into nothingness within seconds. After a few moments of silence, Rainbow spoke again.

“Soar… are you okay?” She asked hesitantly, eyes darting around; not looking at the stallion.

“No, Dash, I’m not. Tomorrow’s going to come too soon. I can’t stand that you’re leaving.” Soarin briefly squeezed his eyes shut. This was a nightmare.

“I-I know, and it isn’t easy for me either.” Rainbow said. Her posture sagged, taking a rest from the strong front she had put up. She rubbed her neck with a blue hoof. “But I’ll be back before you know it.” Soarin flinched.

“Aren’t you scared?” He asked quietly. The cloud dipped and moved again as Dash shifted uncomfortably.

“No. Well, not really.” She answered, stretching out each wing, grimacing when she hit a sore spot. She took a wing in mouth and rearranged a misplaced feather.

“How can you not be scared? Dash, you’re going off to war tomorrow!” Soarin started, voice starting to rise. The tired lines under his eyes were much more prominent now, the results of many sleepless nights heading up to this one.

“Yeah, Soarin, I know. I haven’t forgotten.” She told him flatly, before he could continue. “Look, I know you don’t want me to go. But I’m going to be fine, okay?”

“Say you m-make it home. Are you telling me that you won’t be a bit traumatized? Have you even considered what’s going to happen out there?” Soarin protested. Different outcomes flashed through his mind, giving him a faint headache alongside the heartache.

“Yeah. I have.” Rainbow said simply. Perhaps if she had been her younger self, she would have made a snarky remark. A remark about how the great Rainbow Dash wouldn’t get ‘traumatized’ from something she could do, hooves down, on her own. But she was older now. She had gone through things. Seen things. Things that changed a pony.

“And it doesn’t bother you? So many things could happen…” Soarin trailed off. He cleared his throat.

“Well, sure it does.” Rainbow shrugged. “But that doesn’t change anything.” She scuffed a hoof in the silky layer of cloud, watching the space slowly fill up again. Soarin’s eyes glistened. “Aw, c’mon, Soar. Don’t go soft on me now. Hey. It’s going to be okay… Soarin? Are you okay?” Her tone tightened. Soarin looked away.

“I-I just don’t understand… why can’t you let me or even Spitfire go instead?” He whispered, voice cracking. “We both offered…”


“Blossomforth. Crafty Crate. Open Skies. Rainbow Dash…” The stallion in charge of drafting pegasi yelled into the open courtyard of Canterlot Castle. Thousands of pegasi were gathered, waiting in tension to see who would be drafted. The air rang with sobs, shrieks, and the announcer’s monotone. Time froze for the group of Wonderbolts standing in the back area right then. Soarin shot into the air, Spitfire grew visibly tense, and Rainbow’s wings stood straight up from surprise.

“What?!” Spitfire gasped.

“Oh no…” Misty Fly murmured, instinctively moving closer to her captain.

“Soarin, get it together.” Fleetfoot hissed. She grabbed her teammate by the tail and pulled him down.

“Dash?” Soarin looked the mare over. Her eyes were wide, wings twitching. She was silent. He grit his teeth and shook his head. “No. No! Sir!” Soarin yelled to the other stallion. He looked up blankly, pausing with the list of names. “I’ll go. Put my name on there and take Rainbow’s off.” He was in the air again, adrenaline keeping him up more than his trembling wings were.

“My apologies sir. The record is permanent. If you have any questions or concerns you will have to request an appointment to speak with the sun Princess herself. Next is Icy Rain, Meadow Flower…” His voice droned on again.

“No! Scratch Rainbow’s name off and put mine on instead.” Soarin yelled again. His tone was on the verge of hysteria. But this time the announcer didn’t even look up. Fleetfoot clamped down on his tail again, yanking him down hard.

“Soarin! Not. Helping!” She shot him a pointed glare.

“Dash?” Spitfire asked cautiously, approaching her.

“You guys don’t have to go for me.” Rainbow looked up, gently folding her wings. “I’ll do it.”

“It’d be best if none of the ‘Bolts had to go. But if one of us has to, I will. I’ll schedule an appointment with the Princess right now.” Spitfire was already spreading her own wings. She was seconds away from taking off when Rainbow spoke again.

“No, you won’t. Guys, stop this right now! This is ridiculous!” Rainbow raised her voice. “Soarin, get out of the sky. Spitfire, get back over here.” Soarin hesitated. “Soarin.” He dropped, letting Fleetfoot drape her wing over his quivering back.

“Rainbow-” Spitfire began, wings still ready to propel her into the air.

“No, Spitfire. Stop it. They picked me. They expect me to rise to the occasion, which I will do, and, frankly, I need you to do the same thing. Take a breath and chill.” Dash cut in.


“I know.” Rainbow told him quietly. She remembered that day well; the day that had started all this.

“Then why aren’t you scared?! We’re terrified here, all of us! Even Spitfire! And you’re sitting there telling me everything’s going to be just great when you come back!” Soarin yelled, emotions laced into his tone. “Can’t you see this isn’t a game?” Anger flashed across Rainbow’s features. She held up a hoof to stop him from continuing.

“No. No. Now you’re taking it too far. But okay! I might die out there! I said it! Are you happy now? I am very well aware of what will go on starting tomorrow. Extremely aware. I’m holding it together, because obviously you aren’t! And I’m sorry you’re all scared, I really am. But I will not let Equestria down now. I’ve accepted it and now it’s time for you to accept it.” Rainbow’s voice was hard. Soarin’s inhale caught in his throat. “I’m not very scared, Soarin, because this is what I’m meant to do. Be loyal to the ponies I love. And if they need me, by Celestia, you can bet I’ll do whatever I can to help. And if that means going out, well, at least I’ll have gone out doing my duty.” Soarin bowed his head, tucking his chin to his strong chest. Tears were falling freely now, dripping down his muzzle and onto the cloud. Rainbow’s heart gave a painful twinge despite herself.

“I need you here…” He whispered. He couldn’t imagine life without his best friend. Didn’t want to imagine life without his best friend.

“I’ll be back.” Rainbow said, voice turning softer. “I need you too.” She lifted a wing, laying in on her coltfriend and wrapping him in her embrace.

They sat in silence for a few long moments. The stars winked with light, flickering on and off, on and off. The moon cast a hazy white glow over the drifting clouds. Trees swayed lightly down below, the rustling sound carrying up to the sky. The caress of a breeze washed over the two pegasi, making them shiver the tiniest bit. Neither moved, despite any discomfort they could have been feeling. They needed this moment, and both knew it.

“What do you think it’s going to be like?” Soarin spoke after a while. His voice softer now, but clearer. His muzzle moved silently, as though searching for words. Rainbow let out a big sigh.

“I guess… I’m trying not to think about it. What will happen will happen, nothing any of us can do about it.” She raised her eyebrows when he tried to cut in. “But I know stuff will… happen… out there. And it’s probably gonna haunt me for years.”

“If you want to go pace, or… cry… I won’t think less of you, you know that, right?” Soarin asked. He shifted, moving his wing around Rainbow.

“First of all, Rainbow Dash doesn’t do crying. Second, I fly. I don’t pace, either.” She shot him a smirk. Rainbow quieted. “I’ve done a lot of flying, though.”

Another long, silent moment passed.

“Are you going to be okay?” Soarin asked, not lightly. Rainbow looked over.

“Yeah. I will be, I think.” She sighed. “We should head back.” Soarin’s eyes welled with tears. Wordlessly, he moved in close and spread his wings, wrapping his marefriend tight in his embrace.

“I’m proud of you.” He whispered. Tears ran down his muzzle, dropping onto the yellow part of Rainbow’s mane. A small, almost soundless sob escaped from the mare. She was trembling; fighting to keep a strong wall. “It’s going to be okay.” Soarin choked out. He felt a nod against his coat.

Rainbow took another deep breath. “Yeah. We’re gonna be fine.” She wiped a hoof across her face, reaching back to smooth back her forelock. “Hey, Soarin?” Her voice trembled a bit, breaking into a whisper. Soarin met her eyes.

“Yeah?”

“Thanks.” This time it was a complete whisper. A small, whispered word full of feelings she’d never say out loud. And then, Soarin understood. The vulnerability. The hurt. The strength. He nodded. It would respond better than words.

After another pause, Rainbow stood, moving to the border of the cloud. She spread her wings, and tilted her head to Soarin. He managed a smile, and joined her in a similar position.

Then together, they took off into the night sky.