• Published 19th Sep 2019
  • 550 Views, 4 Comments

Coming To Terms With Coming Out - Featherflutter



After the trip to Vanhoover, Pipsqueak wants to come out to his parents with Featherweight, but Featherweight is having concerns

  • ...
3
 4
 550

Meeting

I decided against telling pip about the interaction I had with Gallus and Sandbar, reason being that I didn’t want to have to explain my bandaged arm. He always worries that I will go into a relapse of sorts and neither of us want that to happen. No, this time it was just me tripping while running to class, hitting some rocks on the ground as I tried to catch myself from falling. Why I wasn’t flying to class was anyone’s guess, but Pip didn’t seem too focused on that detail. We spent the next two days without any other major mishap, a few hangouts here and there, nothing out of the ordinary.

It felt nice when we hung out with each other, as if we were still friends. I’m fortunate to have been Pip’s friend for so long before we decided to start dating, since we still have each other’s favorite activities to work off of when figuring out what to do. We were more used to each other, and I suspect that is what keeps us from getting into fights like what I hear other ponies do when they are in a relationship. It is my understanding that a friend is the best pony you could date, not only for the fact that there is a base understanding of each other prior to dating, but also because even if the relationship isn’t fit for romance, then there is always that friendship to fall back on. Sure it would be awkward at first, but a friend is a friend, no matter what.

I digress. When the day of the meeting finally arrived, I told Pipsqueak that I was going back to the school to ask the teacher about something. He wanted to tag along, but I insisted it would be boring. Pip isn’t one for boring activities, so I knew that would suffice as enough of an excuse. I didn’t want him to come. It was my problem, and I needed to fix it. This wouldn’t end up like before, I knew when to call for help, I was getting better. It was only a matter of being comfortable in my own fur that I needed to conquer and for others to be comfortable with me, mainly Pip’s parents.

As I walked to the meeting area, a familiar area since it was in the back of the cafe that Pip and I went to two days before, I wondered what I would be in store for. Was it all an elaborate trap, set up by some bullies so they could torment me? Was it a set foalnapping scheme?

I opted to stop thinking about the possibilities after that last thought. I tended to scare myself out of situations that were otherwise normal, and I didn’t want to do that to myself then. I had a problem, and I needed to fix it.

There it was, the Daffodil lane. My mind flashed back to two days before when that one waiter nearly made me have a panic attack. I remembered his smile afterwards, as if he knew. A small shiver ran down my back from a combination of the chilly weather and the possibly sinister connotations that his smile could of had. Whoever started it must have asked to use it or rented it. All the same, it looked warm and inviting enough, it’s lights casting an amber glow through the window onto the twilit night. I guess I’ve never seen it open at this late at night or never really noticed that the lights were that color.

I went in through the door, a chime announcing my presence to the eight other ponies who were all gathered around two big round tables , snacks and drinks in hoof or on the table. With a quick glance, I was the youngest there. That only filled me up with even more fear, though before I could turn tail and run away I heard a familiar voice call out to me,


“Hey Featherweight! We saved you a seat.” Sandbar’s calm voice came from across the room, relieving my anxiety, if only slightly.

I smiled and nodded, sitting next to him and gallus. I took a moment to scan the room, having not really noticed who was here, only how many.

A light blue pegasus, with a rainbow tie on and an extremely anxious expression that could blow mine right out of the water.

A strangely familiar face, Trenderhoof. I had done some freelance work for some articles of his before. It never occured to me to think he was gay. He looked a lot more calm and poised about the whole meeting.

Braeburn, the pony who managed the whole cleanup of the stampede incident a while back. He was Applebloom’s cousin, if I remember correctly. One look at his getup made me less surprised that he was gay.

Sunburst, the royal chrystaller? I guess since he became the new vice headpony of the Friendship school, it would make sense that he spent more time in ponyville nowadays than in the Crystal Empire.

There was our waiter, Monte, and next to him some deep blue pony, a worn out expression on his face. He looked happy, but tired.

“Hello!” Monte exclaimed, “Welcome to the first meeting of the Coming Out Club,” myself and a couple other ponies squirmed at the name, “Name subject to change.”

“I’d like to thank you all for coming to our little passion project, and if you are enjoying the snacks, please make sure to thank my husband, Over Easy, for making them.” Monte presented the blue pony, who stood up and smiled, giving a small bow as we all said thank you.

“Now, let me just clear up some questions some of you might have about what this all is exactly. You see, we were thinking one day,”

“I was thinking,” Over Easy interrupted.

“Right, Over Was thinking one day about how much of a struggle it was for the two of us to come out to those who we love and cared for. It really was, more on that later. I can say, at least for me, that I felt absolutely alone in the whole matter. It was me against the world! And everypony was out to get me. Luckily, I had loving parents who still loved me and accepted me for who I was. But, it was that in-between, that limbo of discovering that I was gay and telling my parents that I felt helpless. It was our idea to start this get together, where we all help each other out to feel like we are not alone in this transitioning period in our lives.” Someone started clapping, then we all started. It was exactly what I needed. I had gotten more and more excited as he talked. He smiled and started talking again once the clapping died down, “Thank you, now I invited some other ponies who have already come out to help give some perspective on what they felt when they were going through what you are right now. But before that, I think there are a few things we need to take care of before we get to that.”

Monte sat down, getting a hoof around his shoulder and a nuzzle from his husband which he eagerly reciprocated.

“Now then! Let’s get started!”

Author's Note:

Sorry for the wait on this chapter. School is still my first priority, but I always try to make time for writing. Let me know what you think about the story so far.