• Published 14th Aug 2012
  • 4,841 Views, 73 Comments

Youthful Expression - Closer-To-The-Sun



Twilight is forcing Spike to attend school like the rest of the fillies and colts. The Cutie Mark Crusaders do notice he does not want to be there, and decided to help him out. However, will something happen that will break up the Crusaders?

  • ...
7
 73
 4,841

Ch. 4 Hey Jealousy

Chapter 4: Hey Jealousy

The next morning, Spike woke up earlier than he normally would. He crawled out of his bed and walked down the stairs of the library and saw Twilight Sparkle packing her bag again. The purple unicorn looked up and saw that her assistant was awake.

"Oh, good morning Spike. I wasn't going to wake you up for quite some time," she greeted her dragon.

With a yawn, Spike replied, "Yeah, well, I thought I might as well get ready for the day as soon as I woke up, ya know?" He walked over to his bag and began to load it up with items for school such as parchment and quills.

"Boy, you seem so grown up about going to school today," Twilight gave an impressed look to the baby dragon.

"What can I say, I gave it a shot like I promised, and it wasn't that bad in the least," Spike loaded the textbook into his bag, careful not to crush the parchment and render it useless.

Twilight gave a sly smile, "Is it because you found a filly that tickles your fancy?"

Spike's scales stood on end, "N-No! Twilight! Honestly, what kind of question is that?"

The mare gave a small laugh, "Oh Spike, you know I'm only teasing you."

Spike still gave a nervous glare at Twilight as he was packing his lunch for the day, gems, an apple and plain cupcake for dessert, "S-Still, I'm not like that you know."

Twilight just laughed a little more as she readied her saddlebag for the day, "Well, just don't stay out with the crusaders as late like last night please. I am happy they did give you a small party to make you feel welcome."

"Yeah, I was too," Spike replied to what he knew was a lie he told to Twilight the night before. The dragon knew she would ask a lot of questions if she knew it was just Applebloom he was spent time with last night.

As Twilight used her magic to place the saddlebag on her back, she heard a knock at the door, "Oh, that must be Applebloom, come on in!"

The door was opened by a small yellow filly with a familiar pink bow in her red mane, "Hiya Miss Twilight!"

"Good morning, Applebloom. I think Spike is almost ready," she said as she turned to see her dragon assistant hurry to the door to meet up with the ponies, "Well, guess he is! I'll be seeing you two later then!" Twilight made sure both of the youngsters were outside before she closed the door and head on her way.

Spike and Applebloom gave each other warm smiles and slowly made their way to school.

"How are ya t'day, Spike?" the little filly asked with a affectionate smile.

The smile alone was enough to make the dragon blush, "I'm doing really good, and how about you Applebloom? Was your family upset about you arriving late last night?"

She shook her head, "Eenope!" she giggled at her reply before continuing, "Applejack was gone for most of the day and Big Mac seemed to fine with me being with ya."

Spike was a little worried at her words, "You didn't tell him we….ya know…."

"Nope!" she joyfully exclaimed, "Ah jus' said we were playin' around the schoolyard until it got late. An' don't worry, our secret is safe," her last words were accompanied with a wink, causing Spike's cheeks to turn red again. "Ya know, you're cute when ya blush like that."

Spike replied with nervous laugh, "You know that you saying that is not helping, right?"

"Ah know!"

The two youngsters were able to stop their flirting and agreed to keep it quiet for the rest of the day. The last thing they wanted was to have somepony find out and deal with their respected families about the issue of dating and all that. The two met up with Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo on their way to school.

Sweetie Belle was carefully observing Spike. She noticed that something was different about him from yesterday. 'Why does Spike seem so different today? He's completely different. Like yesterday, he was dragging himself to school. Now he seems to be really happy and just full of life,' she thought to herself as they walked to the schoolhouse. She saw the dragon laugh with Applebloom as Scootaloo was retelling the events from yesterday, 'Could it be Applebloom? What did they do when Scootaloo and I left? I got it! I should follow them after school today.' Sweetie Belle had the plan it was not leaving her mind, she was going to follow Spike and Applebloom after school that day.

The white unicorn had trouble focusing on the lessons for that day. Her mind was focused on the yellow earth pony and the purple dragon. She saw them pass notes back and forth in class and share lunches (but in Spike's defense, he did split the cupcake three ways for the girls as his way of saying thank you for welcoming). Finally, the end of the day came and school was over. Sweetie Belle waited patiently for her moment to leave and secretly follow them. As Scootaloo parted ways, Sweetie Belle waited for her turn to make her 'leave'.

"Uh, well, I should probably get back home to help Rarity out with that order of dresses," Sweetie Belle randomly said as the three were walking toward the Town Square.

"Aww, really? Ah was hoping the three of us could play a bit down on the farm," Applebloom pleaded with Sweetie Belle.

"Yeah, you don't have to help her out do ya?" Spike asked.

Sweetie Belle had to admit it sounded fun, but she was not going to just let her plan go to waste, she had to find out if something was happening, "I'm sorry, she needs help with getting those gems on the dresses," she lied.

"Alright then, we'll see ya tomorrow right?" Spike asked, remembering tomorrow was Saturday.

"Yeah, I'm sure we will, bye-bye!" Sweetie Belle said as she trotted away.

The dragon and Applebloom started to make their way down toward the farm together. However, they didn't know that they were being followed by Sweetie Belle. She wasn't as dumb as others might take her for. She kept her distance far enough just so she could just barely see them. She followed the two down to Sweet Apple Acres.

As Applebloom and Spike reached the farm, they left their bags on the front porch of the house before they headed into the grove of trees. Sweetie Belle saw them dash off into the trees, so she entered the grove, still keeping her distance. The last thing she need was to get caught.

She saw the two chase each other around for a while when Spike took Applebloom's bow. The two began to wrestle for about ten minutes, neither giving up. While Sweetie Belle couldn't hear what they were saying, she did notice that Applebloom certainly was annoyed that Spike took her bow. However, when she finally had pinned Spike to the ground, Sweetie Belle was horrified to see Applebloom kiss Spike. The two laughed and Spike got up and gave Applebloom her bow back and the two continued to play.

Sweetie Belle, who saw this play out in front of her, could not believe it, she took a few steps back and swore under her breath. She turned around and ran as fast as she could back to her home.

"No….just no…." she quietly said to herself as she galloped faster, tears forming in her eyes, "it can't be, it just can't…."

The weight of her saddlebag was beginning to hurt Sweetie Belle as she ran faster, but she didn't care, she just wanted to get away from the farm as fast as possible.