• Published 14th Aug 2012
  • 4,841 Views, 73 Comments

Youthful Expression - Closer-To-The-Sun



Twilight is forcing Spike to attend school like the rest of the fillies and colts. The Cutie Mark Crusaders do notice he does not want to be there, and decided to help him out. However, will something happen that will break up the Crusaders?

  • ...
7
 73
 4,841

Ch. 8 Sæglópur (Lost At Sea)

Ch. 8 Sæglópur (Lost At Sea)

"Huh?!" all three fillies were shocked by his answer.

Spike was afraid of what chaos he just might have set in motion. 'Dear Celestia, forgive my stupidity….' he thought to himself while the girls were still processing his statement.

"Sp-Spike….?" Applebloom's voice was slightly distorted as she was having trouble speaking. Tears gathered into her eyes and slowly rolled down her eyes. She tried to speak something else, but she was unable to. At that, she turned and ran off from the group. She couldn't bear to be around them right then.

As she watched the yellow filly run off, Sweetie Belle kept her calm. "Well, I see how it really is now, Spike…." her voice sounded the same save a small hint of distress, "I'll see myself away now." Standing up off the ground, Sweetie Belle walked off in the same direction as Applebloom before pausing and trotting back the opposite direction, "Forgot….my home is this way," she admitted before continued snobbishly walking.

A moment of silence past before Scootaloo finally said anything, "Okay, what the hay was that, lover boy?" Anypony could tell she was upset.

"I don't know, okay? I panicked. Not exactly proud of myself right now," Spike admitted hitting his head with the empty cardboard box.

"Really, I never would of guess," Scootaloo commented sarcastically as she watched him hit himself repeatedly, "Fill me in what's going on, will ya?"

Spike and Scootaloo laid on their backs and looked up at the scarcely clouded sky as the dragon began the tale that started on Thursday with him and Applebloom. He tried to explain to her the feelings he was feeling for both of them, but he failed multiple times. Scootaloo listened intently to his ramblings. While her eyes were fixed on the few clouds moving by, her ears were aiding the pegasus in piecing the story in her mind. The daylight quickly died and the Luna's time took hold of Equestria by the time Spike neared the end of his talking.

"And, then I just panicked as you saw and picked you, I guess." Spike finished speaking as he looked up at the stars.

"Uh huh," Scootaloo commented as she stared up into the heavens as well.

Spike rolled from on his back and turned to the orange pegasus, "So what should I do? I mean, both of them are my friends, and I really don't want to hurt them. But it just seems I would really screw up no matter what."

"You can't please everypony, Spike," Scootaloo said with her hooves cushioning her head as she crossed her legs to have more comfort.

"I know, but I can try, can't I?"

"If you do that, no pony is happy. And even if they are, you won't be."

"Huh, seems like you've had some experience with that."

Scootaloo didn't reply about the comment, instead she kept going, "You know the tale about Nightmare Moon, right?"

"Of course, everypony knows that story."

"Well, think about it, Spike. Luna wanted ponies to be happy at night, but not everypony stayed out after dark. She got sad, then jealous, and eventually angry with everypony. In return, they were fearful of her. And the jealousy became so great, that even after she and her sister Celestia stopped Discord, Celestia then had to stop Luna from turning into something like Discord was."

"A chimera?" Spike interrupted as he turned back up to the night sky.

"No, you mule, a monster," Scootaloo was annoyed with his answer, "Think about it for a second, Luna wanted to make ponies happy with her gift to Equestria so much, she was willing to over throw her sister to do it. And everypony knows what happened next."

"Yeah, Celestia and Luna battled and Luna was sent to the moon for a thousand years."

"Mhm, and that time on the moon turned Luna into more of a monster. Celestia didn't want to send her sister there, and it really crushed her soul to do so. In the aftermath of it all, no pony was happy. Luna was alone and afraid, and Celestia was heartbroken and had to fill in for her sister."

"Yeah….you're right about that….guh, why was I so stupid…."

Scootaloo turned her head to look at the dragon, "Hey, stop talking like that. That's the mule inside of you, and no pony likes a mule, either."

"I know, I know, but grrr!" Spike was frustrated, "Why is this just all happening so fast! I mean, just a few do days ago my only concern was wondering what to do when Twilight was away doing something and she didn't need me to tag along somewhere. Now I have to choose a filly's heart to break. And to top it off, the relationship to whoever might not even last that long and they will end up hating me too."

Scootaloo thought for a second and replied, "Remember how you said Applebloom wanted her first kiss to be with somepony who she could love, no matter what happened?"

"Yeah, I guess you have a point there. But still, this is just a big mess," Spike's eyes were fixed upon the night sky as more stars began to shine.

"Well, step back from all of your problems and look at them."

"Huh?"

"Close your eyes."

"Okay."

"Are they closed?"

"Yes, they're closed," the dragon finally did as he was told.

"Now, picture that you are not you. Take a step back from your life mentally, and see what exactly your physical life is in."

"What?"

"Just do it," Scootaloo seemed confident in what she was saying.

Spike closed his eyes and tried to do what the pegasus filly said, "Well, I see me-"

"No, don't see yourself. You see Spike."

"Okay….I see Spike in a bizarre love triangle between a filly who he really cares about and another filly who he has emotions for, yet he can't place them anywhere."

"Alright, now how does Spike look?"

"He looks stressed, very stressed for a baby dragon. He looks like he's lost at sea, trying to find some sort of help. To find somepony to aid him in anyway."

"Now, open your eyes." Scootaloo said.

Spike opened his eyes to see the night sky with Luna's moon hanging above them.

"So, did you learn something from that? Did you see something you didn't before?"

"Y-Yeah….I actually did," the dragon was quite amazed that what Scootaloo said actually helped, "How did you know something like that would work?"

Scootaloo ignored the question, "Doesn't matter right now, what matters is that you have two friends who are in need of being picked up from their sadness."

"Oh my gosh, you're right!" Spike had completely forgotten that he was the one with the problem. He stood up and asked, "Do you think they will listen?"

Scootaloo got up onto her hooves, "You leave that to me, I'll get Sweetie Belle and Applebloom to the schoolyard tomorrow around noon. You just figure out what you are going to do, alright?"

Spike nodded, "Got it. Thanks so much, Scootaloo. In all honesty, I never thought you knew anything like that."

"Please, I'm not as obsessed with Rainbow Dash as everypony things I am," she laughed, "Now get going, you have to make get ready to patch things up with two ponies who were brave enough to say that they loved ya."

Spike nodded again, "Alright! Thanks again!" The dragon ran off to the library, waving to Scootaloo.

The pegasus smiled to herself as the dragon ran off into the distance, "Yeah, two ponies who were brave enough to say that they loved ya, Spike. Not me. I'm just too much of a chicken to admit my feelings to ya."