• Published 27th Aug 2019
  • 844 Views, 27 Comments

Adagio Dazzle Hates Trigonometry - TheGuineaPig45



With nothing left, the Dazzlings return to Canterlot High School, invigorated with a new mission to become the best students ever and earn the adoration of their peers! The only thing standing in their way? Trigonometry.

  • ...
3
 27
 844

Prologue

Her van. Her precious van. The one thing that belonged to her, and only her.

And Sonata Dusk had set it on fire.

Granted, it was a complete accident. All Sonata had wanted to do was use the toaster to heat up a leftover taco she hadn’t finished from the day before. Of course, she put it on a ridiculously high setting, and, sure enough, within three minutes, the toaster was blazing. The fire quickly spread to the other amenities the van offered, like the couch, and Adagio was forced to speedily evacuate the vehicle with Aria and Sonata.

Needless to say, she was not in the best mood.

“Sonata Dusk,” Adagio growled, her voice dripping with a fiery rage. “I am going to kill you, just like you killed my van!”

Sonata frowned, wrapping her arms around her torso. “I didn't mean to! How was I supposed to know that putting a taco inside of a toaster would break it?”

“I could’ve guessed,” Aria murmured, unable to avert her eyes from the fiery inferno that had engulfed their home.

Adagio groaned and rubbed her temples. It was already bad enough that they had lost the Battle of the Bands and had their necklaces destroyed. But now this? There had to be some mystical force conspiring against her.

“What do we do now, Dagi?” Sonata whimpered, clinging onto Aria’s shoulder. “Our voices are gone! Our home is gone! And I didn't even get to eat my chicken taco! You know how much that extra guacamole cost?”

Aria shoved her away. “Did you waste all our money on guacamole?!”

“Not all of it. We still have this!” She went to pull a quarter out of her pocket, but it fell out before could grab it and rolled away, straight into a sewer vent. “Okay. Now I’ve wasted all our money.”

Adagio put her face into her hands. She wasn’t one to cry, but in that moment, she was really close to it. They had no way to buy food, no place to live, no Equestrian magic to help them.

They were hopeless.

In the distance, they could hear sirens, signaling that the fire department was on its way. Not wanting to explain what had happened to the police, the Dazzlings ran down the street, none of them daring to look back.


Twenty-seven minutes later, Sonata tripped over a rock.

“Ouch!” she squealed, falling face-first onto the hard cement sidewalk. After a couple of seconds, a bruise appeared on her shoulder. “Ugh! This place is the worst!”

“No, you’re the worst!” Aria replied, unable to keep herself from laughing at her sister’s misfortune.

Sonata pouted. “No, you are!”

“GIRLS!” Adagio shouted, shutting her sisters up before they got into yet another full-scale argument. She took in a deep breath, then exhaled, trying to calm herself down. “I think we can stop running now. We’re far enough from the fire.”

Aria and Sonata nodded, and the three Dazzlings sat down on a nearby street curb. Looking up at the endless sky of stars above them, Adagio sighed. What did I do to deserve this? All I wanted was to be adored by everyone. Is that too much to ask for?

“Uh-oh,” Sonata whispered to Aria. “Dagi’s doing that thing again.” Aria raised an eyebrow. “Ya know, that thing where she goes into deep thought and doesn't talk to us for a full minute?”

“Oh yeah,” Aria replied. “She does do that, doesn't she?”

Adagio rolled her eyes, and took a look around at her surroundings. Strangely enough, the area looked familiar. There were luscious green trees that looked like they never missed a day of care, houses so perfectly maintained that not even a shred of grass was out of place, and the faint sound of teenage laughter erupted somewhere nearby.

Crud. We’re back in Canterlot.

She groaned. This was not what she wanted. All around her were reminders of her greatest failure. The tree across the street? That was where she came up with the lyrics for “Under Our Spell.” That picture-perfect home? She had declined an offer for a sleepover there so that she could spend the night planning on how to break Sunset Shimmer. And that groundhog in the dirt? She didn't have any memories associated with it, but small rodents severely pissed her off, so it wasn’t helping.

She looked at her sisters. The looks on their faces told that they had realized where they were, too.

“Ugh, this place truly is the worst,” Aria groaned, getting up to stretch out her legs. “We need to get out of here.”

Adagio got up and began walking away, but Sonata stayed put, seemingly thinking very hard about something. After a minute, her entire face lit up, her mouth contorting into a large grin. “Wait! I have an idea!”

“Your last idea was putting a taco into a toaster, so you’re on very thin ice here, Sonata,” Adagio grumbled, her hands clenched into fists.

Sonata nervously chuckled. “Why don’t we re-enroll at Canterlot High School?”

Silence.

Adagio and Aria looked into each other’s eyes. They tried to keep it in, but they couldn’t. Simultaneously, they burst out into laughter.

“That’s the funniest thing you’ve ever said,” Aria giggled. “Go back to CHS? Puh-lease. No Equestrian magic? Not interested.”

Sonata shook her head. “There might not be Equestrian magic there anymore, but there is food. Think about it! If we go back to Canterlot High, we could get free breakfast and lunch everyday!”

“Oh, you were being serious.” Aria sat back down on the curb and rested her face on her hand.

“Duh! Plus, it’s a big school! I’m sure we could find a place to sleep there overnight!” She grabbed Aria and Adagio, and pulled them into a tight hug. “Isn’t it the best plan ever?!”

Adagio shook her head, angrily shoving Sonata away. “No. Absolutely not.” Her giddy sister pouted once more.

“Actually, it’s not the worst idea,” Aria admitted. Adagio glared at her, eyes visibly filled with rage. “Well, at the very least, it’s the smartest thing Sonata has said in a long time. It is free food and shelter, neither of which we have at the moment. Besides, I'm tired of running around everywhere.”

“Exactly! Plus, tomorrow’s Tuesday!” Sonata shrieked, bouncing up and down. “And that means Taco Tuesday!”

“Tomorrow’s Monday,” Aria scoffed.

“Tuesday!”

Monday!”

“SHUT UP!” Adagio shouted. Her two sisters immediately quieted down, fearfully looking into their leader’s eyes. “Need I remind you that everyone at CHS hates us?”

Aria shrugged. “Well, they hated Sunset Shimmer, but she’s super popular now.”

“That could be us!” Sonata mused, twirling in a circle. “They may hate us now, but if we become the best students Canterlot High School has ever seen, we’ll be adored!" She gasped in awe of her own words. "We'll be the new Sunset Shimmers! Food, shelter, and the popularity we always wanted!”

With those words, a flash of inspiration struck Adagio Dazzle, freezing her in place. After taking a second to recompose herself, the words Sonata had just uttered finally sunk in, and a devilish grin emerged on her face.

Adored? Popularity?

She liked the sound of that.