• Published 23rd Jul 2019
  • 3,859 Views, 126 Comments

This is Home. - Lucy_Marigold



Twilight is different, that's for sure. Only, she didn't know how different she was until that fateful Wedding.

  • ...
12
 126
 3,859

Chapter 8 - Familiar.

~Chapter 8 - Familiar.~

5:11 PM, June 12, 2 S.E.

The Golden Oak’s Library.

“So you’re telling me you, Rainbow Dash and Applejack, were changelings the whole time?” Rarity questioned. “Well, darling that’s certainly something.”

“Oh my, Twilight, your wings are certainly beautiful.” The mild yellow pegasus whispered, glancing at the twitching wings on her friends back.

Celestia trotted over, placing a hoof on Twilight’s shoulder. “I think you and I need a quick discussion.”

“Not without Applejack or Rainbow Dash.” Was the first thing the undisguised lavender changeling stated, narrowing her eyes slightly. The regent of the sun nodded as Twilight indicated towards the nearby guest room. The four of them trotted into the room, Dash shutting the door behind them.

“It’s been quite a long time since we’ve talked, hasn’t it, Alyssum and Primrose?” Celestia stated, looking over at Rainbow Dash and Applejack. Dash visibility flinched hearing that name, turning her gaze away.

“And ah haven’t heard somepony call me that in a long time.”


7:23 AM, December 28th, 983 C.E.

Canterlot.

The sun had only just risen as the two disguised changelings carrying the young, also disguised nymph entered Canterlot, the city already teeming with daily life. Alyssum stared up at the capitol, the castle shining in the morning light. That had to do something, anything. “C’mon Prim, there’s no time to waste.” The first disguised as a peach coloured mare with a bright orange mane.

“I know. We don’t have any other choice anymore, do we?” The first changeling, disguised a cyan pegasus with a two toned orange mane grumbled.

They had arrived at the gates. A guard shifted to greet them. “We’re here to see Princess Celestia.” Alyssum stated, shifting the bundle in her hooves slightly. “Code CHE-D.” The guard looked over to his companion who nodded gravely before permitting them entrance.

“What’s Code CHE-D?”

“Changeling Hive Enigma, Destroyed.” The two trotted forward, entering the castle.


5:16 PM, June 12, 2 S.E.

The Golden Oak’s Library.

“I suppose I owe you an apology, my student.” Celestia sat down on the floor beside Twilight who’s eyes were darting between the three of them. They had shifted back to their old form, Twilight electing to remain as her unicorn self. “I should have told you long ago.”

“How did you and… my mother know each other?” Applejack let out a verbal grimace, turning away slightly. Celestia shifted her gilded hooves slightly. Her mouth opened and then closed a second later.

“We were… friends. I think it would be better if I showed you.” Lighting up her horn, the room was bathed in light before the room became an empty grey void. An image appeared before the four of them, a memory playing out in front of them. Black and white images flickered and danced until it settled on one memory.

“I’m sorry, Princess Celestia. I didn’t mean to-” The young lavender changeling shifted on her hooves, glancing away from the mess she had made running through somewhere. The memory really didn’t want to elaborate. A stack of paper lay scattered before the past version of the regent of the sun.

“It’s alright. You must be Princess Odonata. I have heard much about you from your mother.” Past Celestia instantly stacked them back together with her magic, smiling at Odonata.

“Uh, really?” The changeling perked up a little, looking at the princess with wide eyes through her curtain of silk-like hair.

“Very much so.

The memory changed again, flicking to an older version of Odonata.

Mother’s grown ill, Celestia. I don’t think I’m ready.” Odonata was pacing. To Twilight, the mare’s voice was like a smoothing cool breeze on a summer’s day. It held warmth yet a sense of coolness and calm at the same time. But in this memory, it was shaking, unconfident.

You could always send me a letter if needs be. Your mother has been around for quite a while, six centuries before Lu-Nightmare Moon’s Banishment. If anypony was worthy enough to take up her mantle, it’s you, Nata.” Past Celestia walked into view, placing a hoof on the worried mare’s shoulder.

She’ll never get to meet her granddaughter, Celly.

The memory shifted again, this time Odonata stood proudly, the edge of a balcony in view. “Ah remember this one.” Applejack’s voice whispered, the sense of longing and nostalgia filling her voice.

Odonata.” Past Celestia greeted, walking into view. “How have things been since we last talked?

Everything’s been somewhat fine. Enid above, I think my mother was right when she used to say that I was a hoof-full.” Odonata laughed, shifting herself until she was facing past Celestia. “How are things in Canterlot?

Nothing new. Say, where is that little one you mentioned in your letters?”

Ah’m sorry, Queen Odonata, she got into the love supplies again.” A third figure entered the memory, a sheepish look on the changeling’s face.

Ah, General Alyssum, wonderful to see you again.

Hello yer highness. My Queen?” The changeling, past Applejack, lifted something up in her magenta magic. A small wiggling nymph the size and shape of a young foal let loose a giggle when she saw Odonata, thrusting tiny holed hooves towards the mare’s face. Twilight glanced at the current Applejack and then Celestia, realisation seeping into her mind.

She was that nymph. Tears began to well in the corner of her eyes and she could see, barely, that AJ was having the same reaction. Past Celestia let loose a laugh as the younger version of Twilight began tugging on Odonata’s mane. “Like mother, like daughter. I heard from your mother that when you were a nymph you accidentally set an entire wing on fire. She wouldn’t stop complaining about it for weeks.” Past Celestia said, more laughter echoing from the two rulers.

The pictures shifted again. There was a pair of sharp gasps followed by Dash’s voice. “You were there, weren’t you Princess?”

“Unfortunately, yes.” Twilight heard Celestia say. She wasn’t really paying attention to what they were saying, her eyes glued to the scene before her. Odonata stood there, chitin cracked in places. Her crown was gone and she was splatter with what Twilight could only assume was changeling blood. She wandered towards the image, the colour leaving her coat as she glanced up at the mare, her mother. “And I regret being unable to save her every day.”

Tia. You came.” Odonata gained a smile, Past Celestia just out of view. “I thought you-” She coughed, splattering blood across the scene. She fell to her hooves.

I came as quickly as I could. Oh Nata. Don’t worry, I’m here.” Past Celestia sat down beside Odonata, wrapping a wing around the dying mare.

My daughter, Twilight, she’s safe. My General took her.” Another cough, more blood. “Promise me one thing, Celestia.

Anything.”

Protect her for me.” Blood dripped on the changeling’s mouth, staining Past Celestia’s coat. “Chrissy will stop at nothing until my Hive is nothing but a stain on the ground.”

I promise.”

“You're a good friend, Celly.”

The memory shuttered to a stop. Everything regaining the colour it lost. The current Celestia bowing her head as tears ran down her cheeks. “I’m so sorry, Twilight. I-I couldn’t-” The princess looked up to see her student grabbing a hold of her, tightly embracing her as her disguise melted away with the tears. Applejack wiped away the few tears that had formed, Rainbow Dash simply giving her friend a hug.

There were no words of anger or apology. Words weren’t needed at that moment. Hugs were all that were required to comfort the heartbroken mares.