• ...
2
 23
 1,105

The Jeweled Touch

Once upon a time in a grand kingdom far away, there lived a beautiful queen named Rarity and her little sister, Princess Sweetie Belle. The Queen ruled her kingdom fairly and kindly, but the kingdom itself was always a little short of cash and she wanted to help, but she hadn’t a clue.

One lovely spring day as she was walking through the royal gardens, Queen Rarity happened upon a strange sight. It was a small dragon with purple and green scales laying sound asleep in her rose bushes.

“Oh my! Where did you come from?” The Queen asked, gently nudging the dragon awake.

“Wha-huh? What happened? How long was I out?” The dragon asked before noticing the Queen standing over him.

“Hello there, little one. Are you alright?” Queen Rarity asked.

“Me? Oh, I’m fine.” The dragon replied.

“Good. Now, would you care to tell me who you are and what you’re doing in my garden?”

“Your garden?” The dragon rubbed the sleep out of his eyes and looked around. He blushed at the Queen. “Oh! Uh, sorry about that. My name is Sir Spike. I had a big lunch and I guess I fell asleep. I didn’t mean to trespass.”

“Oh, it’s quite alright.”

“And you know what? To make up for it? Why don’t I grant you a wish?”

Queen Rarity’s eyes widened. “A wish?!”

“That’s right! Name your wish and you shall have it.”

“Oh, that sounds wonderful! But what could I possibly wish for?” The Queen thought for a moment, and then it came to her. “Is there a way I can help make my kingdom richer? We were always a bit short of bits.”

“More money for your people? Okay then. What kind of money would you like? We have dollars, gold, silver, jewels…”

“Oooh, jewels! Jewels, please! I adore gems!”

“Very good. We’ve got jeweled crowns, jeweled shoes, jeweled eyes, Jeweled Touch…”

“Wait, wait, wait! What was that last one?”

“Jeweled touch?”

“Yes! Yes, that’s the one!”

“Ah, excellent choice! Now hold still, this won’t hurt a bit.”

Sir Spike then flapped his wings, flew up closer to the Queen’s face, took a deep breath, and blew a tiny bit of fire onto her horn. He smiled and floated back down to the ground.

“There we go. Now you have the Jeweled Touch.” He said proudly. “If you ever need me again, just call me and I’ll be here faster than you can say ‘salsa verde’. Okay?”

“Um, alright then. Thank you.” The Queen said.

And with that, Sir Spike flapped his wings again and flew off, leaving Queen Rarity alone with her thoughts and her new Jeweled Touch. She glanced up at her horn, wondering how this Jeweled Touch thing worked. But that was when her younger sister, the Princess, walked up to her.

“Everything alright, big sis?” Princess Sweetie Belle asked.

“Hm? Oh yes, yes. Everything is fine, little sister.” The Queen replied. “I’m just wondering how this Jeweled Touch works.”

“Jeweled what now?” The filly questioned.

Then the Queen looked around her rose garden. “I suppose there's only one way to find out.”

She activated her magic and when the tip of her horn touched one of the beautiful red roses, the flower instantly transformed. It had sparkling ruby petals and an emerald stem. The two ponies gasped in shock.

“Oh my!” The Queen exclaimed. “Sweetie Belle, did you see that?! I just turned this lovely rose into something even LOVELIER! Anything my magic touches turns to a different kind of gemstone! Isn’t that fantastic?!”

“THAT’S the Jeweled Touch?!” The Princess cried.

“Yes it is, dear sister! Now come! We must inform the rest of the kingdom at once!” Queen Rarity cheered, galloping off and giggling with glee. Even thought she felt rather uneasy about this situation, Princess Sweetie Belle ran after her sister.

Word quickly got out about the Queen’s new Jeweled Touch and hundreds of ponies were lined up to meet the Queen so she could bejewel their belongings. Now the kingdom was richer and more dazzling than ever before. After hours of turning various items to gems, the Queen grew tired and hungry, so she decided to stop for dinner. A great meal was prepared and the royal sisters sat down to eat, but the moment the Queen picked up a bunch of grapes from her newly bedazzled fruit bowl, the grapes turned to amethyst in her magical embrace.

She cried out, dropping the grapes. “What in the world?!”

Then she picked up a loaf of bread, only for the crumbs to harden into jasper stone. Then she picked up an apple, but it turned into a large, sparkling garnet.

“What is going on?! This is too much!” The Queen cried in exasperation, tears of frustration starting to well up in her eyes.

“Oh, don’t worry, sis.” The Princess said, rushing over to comfort her sister. She used her own magic to wipe Rarity’s tears with a hanky.

“Oh, Sweetie Belle. This Jeweled Touch seems to be a lot more trouble than it’s worth.” Queen Rarity said. “But I’ve only had it for less than a day. Is this how it’s going to be all the time?”

“I don’t know. Maybe.” The filly replied.

The Queen levitated the hanky up to her face to wipe off her running mascara, but it quickly turned to a large shard of foggy white quartz. “Oh, for the love of—” She started before she felt something touch her horn; then there was silence. “Sweetie Belle? What are you—?” The Queen said before she gasped in shock and terror; her beloved sister had been transformed into a sparkling crystal statue. She had touched the tip of Queen Rarity’s horn with her hoof and the magic had done its work.

“No! No, no, no, no, no, no, no! Sweetie Belle, my one and only sister! What have I done?!” The Queen screamed in horror and sadness. “Oh, this is all my fault! If only I hadn’t asked for that ridiculous Jeweled Touch! This isn’t a gift, it’s a CURSE! Woe is me! No! I must get her back! I must! As Celestia is my witness, I shall be rid of this wretched curse forever!”

She stood up and called out, “Spike! Sir Spike! I need you!”

And soon enough, Sir Spike had returned in a flash of green fire. “Hello, my Queen. You called?”

“Yes, yes I did. Please, I need your help!” Queen Rarity begged.

“Well, what seems to be the problem?” The dragon asked.

“…What seems to be the problem? Look around!” She screamed. “I can’t eat, drink, or even use my magic without anything I pick up turning to jewels! And look at my sister! My sweet, beautiful little sister! I turned her into a statue of crystal!” The Queen wept bitterly as she buried her face in her hooves. “I would do anything to have my sister back! Please, help me!”

“Really?”

“Yes, really! What do I have to do to make this Jeweled Touch go away?!”

“It’s easy. You just have to do two things.”

“Yes?”

“First, you have to say you don’t want any jewels and mean it.”

“Alright, alright. I don’t want any gems! Love and friendship are more important than all of the precious stones in the world!”

“That’s it, good!”

“And the second thing?”

“And second… you have to dunk your head in the nearest river and your Jeweled Touch will be gone forever.”

The Queen’s eyes widened; she wasn’t expecting that. “Dunk my head in the river?”

“Yep. Your horn is where the power is coming from, isn’t it?”

Queen Rarity hesitated for a moment, but then looked at her petrified sister and immediately made her decision. She went out into the forest, went up to the closest river she could find, took a deep breath, and dunked her head into the river water. The moment she did, the power of the Jeweled Touch drained from her horn. After a moment, she shot back up, shaking the water from her name and face. And when she made it back to her castle, the Queen was elated to find Princess Sweetie Belle restored to life and her palace back to its former glory.

“Sweetie Belle, my beloved sister! I am so sorry about all of this! I was so caught up with this touch that I lost my head! Can you ever forgive me?” Rarity asked.

“Of course, Rarity.” The Princess said, hugging her big sister tightly. “I’m just glad everything is back to normal.”

“I am, too.” The Queen smiled and hugged the filly back.

The two sisters were reunited and they and all of the townsponies rejoiced. The kingdom was still rather poor, but Queen Rarity tried other ways to help her people. And from that day on, she ruled with even more kindness, compassion, and generosity than she had before and they all lived happily ever after.