• Published 6th Jul 2019
  • 1,555 Views, 59 Comments

The Hunter From Another World - Marezinger Z



When a trio of escaped criminals find their way into Equestria, Sunset calls on an old friend to help face this new threat.

  • ...
4
 59
 1,555

Chapter 13

Sunset had coaxed Hunter to lay down in lieu of the early hour; he soon fell asleep, his full mind playing out a series of bizarre and vivid dreams. He awoke with a sudden jump and roused Sunset who was spooned against him.

“You okay?” She asked, rubbing his arm.

“What time is it?” Hunter saw that the room was dark.

“It’s still the middle of the night.” She informed. “You’ve been asleep most of the day.”

“I have?”

“It’s okay.” She assured. “You needed it.”

He settled back down, accepting her foreleg across his midsection. “Sorry, didn’t mean to wake you up.”

“Bad dreams?”

“Something like that.” He nodded lightly.

“There’s still a few hours before dawn.” She cuddled up with him again. “You should try and rest some more.”

“Yeah.” He leaned over and kissed her head before settling back down and closing his eyes. It seemed only a few moments, but when he opened them again the room was filled with morning light. With a quiet sigh he started stroking Sunset’s mane until she came to. “Morning.”

“Morning.” She kissed the underside of his beak. “Any more dreams?”

“Just the one lying next to me.” He smiled.

Sunset’s cheeks reddened. “You keep talking like that and I’m not going to wait until your ribs are healed.” She countered with wink.

“Oh, don’t threaten me.” He rolled on top of her.

“Easy, fly boy.” She reached up and held his head, bringing his beak to her lips. As they languidly kissed, Sunset jumped at a knock at the door.

“Sunset? Hunter?” Twilight’s voiced called.

Hunter laughed and got out of bed, heading over to the door. “I don’t recall ordering room service.” He noted as he opened up.

“Sorry.” Twilight apologized. “I just wanted to let you know that I was heading back to Ponyville to get some information on the Badlands. I thought you two might like to come along.”

“Good idea.” Hunter agreed. “The quicker we can get some info the faster we can make our move.” He looked back to Sunset. “Coming?”

“Yeah.” She hopped out of bed and fixed her mane. “Just give us a minute.”

“Sure.” Twilight nodded. “I’ll be downstairs when you’re ready.”

Taking a few minutes to freshen up, they hurried down to set out with Twilight. As they stepped from the castle and into the morning sun, Hunter took Sunset up in his arms again.

“Are you sure this isn’t hurting you?” She asked.

“A little.” He confessed. “But this is one activity I’m not giving up.”

“Okay.” Sunset held him tightly.

Twilight couldn’t help but smile at how enamored the two of them were towards each other. The trio took flight and headed back for Ponyville. Arriving back at the castle, Twilight called for Spike as they passed the threshold.

“Spike, I’m back!”

After a few moments, Spike flew down from upstairs. “Twilight.” He hugged her neck. “I was getting worried.”

“I know, it’s been a crazy few days.” She welcomed him to her back. “How have…”

“There you are!” A voice interrupted as Starlight came hurrying down the rear hall.

“Starlight?” Twilight went to her. “You’re back.”

“Not a moment too soon, apparently.” Starlight gave her mentor a hug. “Spike told me everything.” She looked past Twilight to see Sunset and Hunter. “Sunset, you really are here.”

“It’s good to see you again.” Sunset smiled. “Wish it was under better circumstances.”

“And you must be Hunter.” Starlight observed the newcomer to their circle.

“In the feathers.” He happily confirmed.

“So what’s going on now?” Starlight asked.

“We came back so I could look a few things up.” Twilight explained. “Sunset, how about you bring her up the speed while I hit the books.”

“Okay.” Sunset nodded as she looked back to Starlight. “Grab a chair, this is going to take a while.”

While Twilight combed through her volumes, Sunset and Hunter detailed all the events leading up to the current moment. For nearly two hours, Starlight sat in near disbelief at the convoluted and harrowing tale. Sunset sighed as she finished her recap and sat back in her chair.

“Which brings us to now.” She shrugged.

“Wow.” Starlight shook her head. “Well, I’m here now. So I’ll help however I can.”

“Good to hear.” Hunter noted. “We’re going to need whatever help we can get to make this last push.”

Starlight gave him her attention. “So, you’re from the human world?”

“Yeah.” He nodded.

“Starlight’s been to our world once before.” Sunset relayed. “She even saved our butts from more Equestrian magic.”

“Well, at that point I already had some experience in the world saving department.” She humbly rubbed the back of her head. “How do you and Sunset know each other?”

“That’s its own story.” He admitted. “Short version is she and her friends stuck their noses into my mission, and my life has been better ever since.” He smiled over at Sunset.

“Yep.” Sunset reached over and patted his talon. “Believe it or not, this feather duster is my boyfriend now.”

“Really?” Starlight laughed.

“Uh huh.” Hunter nodded. “The bacon haired heroine here swept me off my feet.” He stood and feigned a faint into her lap.

“I still have thirty days to return him if I’m not completely satisfied.” Sunset giggled as she held him.

Wow.” Hunter toned at her sharp quip. “You’ve been hanging around me too long.”

“I know.” She bent down and kissed him.

Starlight chuckled at their display as Twilight entered the room. “Should I come back later?” She observed the couple with a crooked smile.

“What did you find?” Sunset pushed Hunter off of her and he returned to his seat.

“Well, I found an old map of the Badlands that was charted by ponies who explored the area in depth.” Twilight began as she sat beside Starlight. “Given the nature of the terrain I can’t imagine it’s changed much. I also found their written records on the region.” She levitated a large parchment from her bag. “I used my magic to make a copy of the map and the rest is in these books, I took the liberty of marking the pages.” She proudly added.

“That’s a good start.” Hunter acknowledged. “Plus, Starlight says she’s in for the fight.”

“That’s great.” Twilight smiled. “When it comes to raw magical talent, Starlight’s even more powerful than I am.”

“Well…” Starlight blushed with a light nod. “Maybe a little.”

“Do you know anyone else who might be willing to help?” Sunset asked.

“This is way out of Trixie’s league.” Starlight said surely. “Thorax and the changelings could help… but since their reformation they’re not much for fighting anymore.”

“Can’t be mad at that.” Hunter laughed shortly.

“What about Ember?” Starlight turned to Twilight.

“I thought of that.” Twilight shook her head. “But it’s the dragon migration season, missing that would disrupt their whole nesting cycle and she wouldn’t do that.”

“We can deal with our staffing problem after we know what we’re doing.” Hunter stood and requested the map. “Let me take a look at this and see what we’re up against.”

“Okay.” Twilight passed him the materials.

“Make sure you talk about me while I’m gone.” He waved as he left the room.

Starlight snorted, glancing over at Sunset. “He’s… interesting.”

“I know.” Sunset shook her head with a smile. “He’s an acquired taste.”

“You seem really happy though.” She pointed out. “I’m glad.”

“Thanks.” Sunset nodded.

“How about Spike and I work on lunch while we let him do his thing.” Twilight suggested.

“Sounds good.” Starlight rubbed her stomach. “I haven’t eaten since I left the Crystal Empire.”


Hunter took the map and Twilight’s books into a quiet room and began his evaluation. He scanned the terrain, cross referencing areas mentioned in the texts that had been explored. After some time, the door opened and Spike flew in with a sandwich.

“Hey there, thought you might want something to eat by now.” Spike laid the plate before him.

Hunter stretched and smiled. “Thanks.”

“No problem.” Spike sat on the table. “How’s it coming?”

“Depends on how you look at it.” Hunter said as he took a bite. “Based on what I’m seeing, there are a few ideal places where Ridgeback could hold up. He may be using the ponies as slave labor, but he needs them alive and healthy enough to work; that means a supply of food and water. Food can be bought, but only a few places in all of the Badlands have any type of access to water.” He paused to take another bite. “Thousands of years of erosion have also carved out a network of tunnels that run throughout the place; some of them are noted as running almost clear to the sea.” Hunter laid the half eaten sandwich down with a sigh. “Before we can approach, we need an aerial sweep of the area to find out exactly where they are. Once I have their location, I can pick a strategy on how to move in.”

“Why not just get the whole royal army and storm the place?” Spike asked.

“Because we can’t risk the ponies that are being held hostage being harmed in the melee… or worse.” Hunter explained. “Besides, Celestia’s stallions already went up against them and it didn’t turn out well. They’re not trained for this kind of fight and I’m not letting those bastards take any more innocent lives.” He saw a sullen look in Spike’s eyes. “What’s wrong?”

“I just wish I could do more than make sandwiches.” He lowered his head. “You guys are out fighting and all I can do is sit here and… dust the furniture.”

“I feel you.” Hunter said with a slow nod. “But listen, don’t waste your time worrying about what you can’t do and put your energy into what you can do. Wars are more than the battlefield. They encompass everything around them and impact everyone from the soldiers on the field to the citizens back home.” He lightly punched Spike’s arm. “Believe me, what you do here for us is just as important as what we’re doing out there.”

“Okay.” Spike cheered at the support. “I will.”

“Don’t worry.” Hunter smiled. “You’re a dragon, right? When you grow up you’ll be whippin everybody’s ass.”

The door opened again and Twilight joined them. “Hey, how’s it coming along?”

“Got some ideas.” Hunter spun his chair around. “What was the name of that team that Rainbow Dash brought along last time?”

“The Wonderbolts?” Twilight asked back.

“Yeah.” He nodded. “Do you think we can get a hold of them? If they’re up for it, I’ve got a recon job for them.”

“Definitely.” Twilight said surely. “I’ll send word to Canterlot and have Fluttershy go to see them right away.” As she left, Hunter rose and tossed the last bite of sandwich into his mouth. “Now I just need to do something about our roster.” They met back up with the others and Hunter excused himself for a while to head out into Ponyville. As he left the stoop of the castle’s entrance he turned at the sound of a sharp cry. He held out his arms, catching the incoming gray blur and smiling as he recognized its off center eyes.

“Hey there, D.” He cradled her.

“Oh… hi there.” Derpy laughed with embarrassment. “Sorry about that. I’ve really got to stop reading addresses while I’m flying.” A sort of recognition washed over her face as she looked up at Hunter. “Do I… know you from somewhere?”

“Me?” Hunter asked. “Nah, a sweetheart like you wouldn’t be caught dead with a mangy bird like me.”

Derpy giggled with slightly reddened cheeks. “Oh, I’ve got a letter for Princess Twilight.” Her mouth reached into the mail bag and retrieved an envelope.

“Thanks.” Hunter took it from her. “Hey, if you’re the mail mare then can you tell me where to find a pony named Maud?”

“Sure.” Derpy nodded. “She lives in a cavern just south of town. Look for the stone mailbox at the entrance.”

“Much appreciated.” Hunter looked around. “So, which way you headed?”

“Uh… that way.” She pointed eastward.

“Got it.” He hoisted her up like a glider and threw her eastward, she caught her aerial balance and waved back at him as she continued on her route. “Heh, nice to know somethings are the same.” After placing the letter in Twilight's mailbox, he flew southward in search of Maud’s cavern and came upon the stone mailbox he was advised about. Flying down and through the tunnel, he soon emerged in the underground paradise that was Maud’s home. “Nice.” He muttered after an impressed whistle.

“Hello.” The deadpan voice of Maud hailed.

“Hi.” Hunter turned to her. “Sorry, I would have knocked but… no door.”

“I know.” Maud looked to the massive hole in the wall that led to her sanctum. “I’m looking to get one installed, but you’d be surprised at how high the quotes are.”

“If contractors here are anything like the ones in my world, I can imagine.” He chuckled. “I’ve got a favor to ask, if you don’t mind?”

“What?” She asked.

“This little war of ours is going to be coming to close; the creatures we’re tracking are in the Badlands and I’ve discovered that the area underneath is a maze of caves and tunnels.”

“I’ve visited the Badlands.” Maud plainly stated. “Even I couldn’t stand being there for very long, and that’s saying something.”

“Well, we’re going to need all the help we can get for this battle and given your expertise I have a feeling you’d come in handy.” Hunter began. “I won’t ask you to fight, but given on how things play out you could be a huge asset.”

Maud stood silent for a moment. “You don’t have to ask.” She finally responded. “If my sister is fighting, then I’ll fight too.”

Hunter smiled. “You Pie ladies are tough cookies.”

“You should meet our mother.” Maud smirked as she began following him.

“Should we lock up before we go?” He grinned.

“You’re pretty funny.” She dryly complimented. “Almost as funny as me.”

When they made it back to Twilight’s castle, they found Spitfire added to the mix as she spoke with the Princess and her friends.

“Maud?” Starlight stood at the sight of her friend.

“Hello, Starlight.” Maud went to her side.

“Are you going to be with us on this?” She asked.

“Is granite 75% silica?” Maud asked in return, getting a laugh from Starlight.

Hunter stepped over to Spitfire and held out his talon. “Didn’t catch the name last time.” He admitted.

“Spitfire.” She placed her hoof firmly in his talon.

“With a name like that, you should be out winning rap battles.” He chortled. “Thanks for coming on such short notice.”

“Not a problem, given the situation.” She said stoutly. “The Princess said you had a mission for the Wonderbolts.”

“I need a reconnaissance sweep of the Badlands.” He explained. “Ridgeback and Skyfall are holding an entire village of ponies hostage and using them to mine. They’re being aided by the Diamond Dogs and I’m trying to determine the best way to stage our assault. Fly over the area and find out exactly where they are; stay high and out of sight though, if you’re seen then we run the risk of them retreating further or harming the ponies.”

“Is that something your team can help with?” Twilight asked.

“In our sleep, Princess.” Spitfire said surely. “Leave it to the Wonderbolts.” She gave Twilight a salute.

“Thank you, Spitfire.” Twilight nodded in return. “We’ll meet you back in Canterlot.”

As Spitfire headed out, Sunset went to Hunter’s side. “Looks like we’re getting a pretty solid team together.”

“Yeah.” Hunter put his arm around her. “But what happens next depends on what Spitfire finds.”

“We should head back to Canterlot.” Twilight suggested. “With Starlight and Maud, we’re going to have to use the balloon again.”

“Right.” Hunter nodded. “Go ahead and get ready, I’ve got one more thing I want to do before we go.”

“Okay.” Twilight nodded and he took Sunset upstairs with him.

“What do you need to do?” Sunset asked as she followed him along.

“We're going to take a quick trip back to the human world.” He smiled back at her.

“We are?” She followed him into the portal room.

“Yep.” He gestured for her to step through.

Sunset passed through the portal and found herself before the school once more, the area was quiet as given the time of day, classes were still in session. “So what…” As she turned back to Hunter he took her wrist and pulled her into a kiss. Her arms immediately went around him as she passionately returned his affection; after a long minute he slowly pulled himself from her.

“That’s even better now that I have lips again.” He whispered with a quiet smile.

“I agree.” She ran her fingertips up and down his back.

“It might not be a pleasant thought.” Hunter began. “But I wanted this at least once, just in case.”

“I get it.” She nodded. “But I’m not worried, I know we’ll get through this.”

They heard the lunch bell ring as they idled. Not wanting to be seen, they hurried back through the portal as the students began pouring out of the main entrance to the school.