• Published 6th Jul 2019
  • 1,555 Views, 59 Comments

The Hunter From Another World - Marezinger Z



When a trio of escaped criminals find their way into Equestria, Sunset calls on an old friend to help face this new threat.

  • ...
4
 59
 1,555

Chapter 8

After a quick, microwavable breakfast, Sunset and Hunter returned to the school and stepped back into Equestria. Heading downstairs, they found Twilight readying her travel bag.

“Morning, Twilight.” Sunset waved to garner her attention.

“Hey, you’re here early.” She noted. “That’s great. I’m nearly ready myself.”

“So, where is Mount Aris?” Hunter asked.

“Technically, it’s outside of Equestria.” Twilight informed as she continued packing. “We’ll have to go by train, and it’s a bit of a ride.”

Spike flew into the room with several texts in his arms. “Here you go, Twilight.”

“Thanks, Spike.” She added them to her bag. “That should be about it, take care of things while we’re gone.”

“Will do.” Spike saluted.

The three of them walked to the station and boarded the train out of town. As the train left the station, Hunter looked out the window and watched the unfamiliar world pass by. He could hear Sunset and Twilight talking, but only picked up pieces of their conversation as his mind was already occupied with streams of thought about what came next. Despite being one not to believe in luck, he found himself secretly hoping for some good fortune in this trip. He eventually freed himself from his contemplation and asked Twilight about the history of the Hippogriffs, wanting some insight before he met them in person. Twilight told them the story of the Storm King and how the Hippogriffs had fled to the sea, became sea ponies and founded Seaquestria. She continued with how she and her friends helped see to the Storm King’s defeat and the return of the sea ponies to land, now claiming both Seaquestria and Mount Aris as their homes. After several hours, the train at last pulled into the Mount Aris station and the trio disembarked.

Hunter took a deep breath of the salty air and stretched. “This place must have a hell of beach. Too bad bikinis aren’t a thing here.” He smiled over at Sunset.

“Sunset, you okay with flying from here?” Twilight asked.

“Sure, it’s faster.” She agreed, heading over to Hunter. “I’m going to jump to the conclusion that you don’t mind?” She asked wryly.

“Maybe.” He toned, taking her up into his arms.

“Just fly.” She laced her forelegs around his neck.

“Yes, ma’am.” Hunter took to the air with Twilight.

Twilight led them up to the Hippogriff village, the place lively as ever with the spry species enthusiastically going about their day. The locals recognized the Princess of Friendship and immediately welcomed them to their home.

“Hello, every creature.” Twilight waved.

“Princess Twilight.” One of the Hippogriffs approached. “How wonderful to see you again, to what do we owe the honor of your visit.”

“Actually, I’m here for my friend.” Twilight gestured back to Hunter. “He may look like a Hippogriff, but he’s actually from another world.”

“Is that true?” The Hippogriff looked over the stranger in confusion.

“It is.” Hunter nodded. “I’m looking to speak with whomever leads your kind.”

“Well, that would be Queen Novo.” The Hippogriff paused in thought. “But she remains in Sequestria and has left the surface in the capable talons of Windshear.”

“Would he see me?” Hunter asked.

“I have little doubt.” The Hippogriff assured. “Follow me.”

They were taken through the village and out into the harmonizing heights. Sunset looked about in search of the source of the calming melody. “What is that? It’s beautiful.”

“According to Sweetie Belle, it’s a naturally occurring phenomenon that exists only in this location.” Twilight detailed. “The natural shape and slope of the area causes the wind from the ocean to make this song when it blows through.”

“Indeed.” Their guide nodded. “Windshear comes here to meditate.”

“If you’re going to be at one with the universe, this seems the best place.” Hunter noted.

Beneath one of the larger trees, they came upon an older Hippogriff sitting serenely with his eyes closed. As they approached, he smiled and nodded towards them.

“Night Diver, you’ve brought visitors.” His eyes opened. “Ah, Princess Twilight. Welcome back to Mount Aris.”

“Thank you, sir.” Twilight tipped her head.

“Windshear, the Princess and her friends have come seeking help.” Night Diver explained.

“What is it that we can do for you?” Windshear asked as he stood.

Hunter stepped up to him. “Long story short, I’m from an alternate world and we’re tracking down two highly dangerous individuals who also found their way here. I’m not really a Hippogriff, but I’ve been given the body of one and I need your help to master it. I’ve been making due but if I’m going to win, I need to know how to fight like a Hippogriff.”

“That is quite the tale.” Windshear admitted.

“It’s true.” Twilight confirmed. “Can you help him?”

“We ourselves have only returned to being Hippogriffs not long ago.” Windshear stroked his beak. “But I will offer you what I can.”

“That’s all I ask.” Hunter lowered his head. “Thank you.”

“Of course, young one.” Windshear laid his talon over Hunter’s shoulder. “Hippogriffs are a proud and closely bonded kind, if you were given this form then it must mean you are a Hippogriff at heart. We should speak with High Tide, he is part of Queen Novo’s royal navy and often leads the instruction of new recruits.”

Hunter glanced back to Sunset and Twilight. “I’m going to go where I have to for this, so don’t wait up.”

“We’ll be in the village when you get back.” Sunset promised.

Hunter followed as Windshear led him back though the village. While they walked, the elder Hippogriff pondered the situation.

“So, who exactly are these enemies you seek?” He asked.

“I’ve already dealt with one, he was something called a Vulpion.” Hunter began. “The second is some type of prehistoric dragon/avian hybrid and at the moment the third is unknown.”

“My, you were quite serious about the dangerous part.”

“Yeah, I’ve already gone a round with the bird… I was completely outclassed in the offense department.” Hunter admitted. “I’ve only recently learned to fly but I need to be faster. I feel like I’m fighting this body to get it to do what I want.”

“When your mind and body are not as one, it makes sense that you would struggle.” Windshear nodded understandingly. “In your world you are…?”

“Human.” Hunter answered. “I’m a soldier in my world and I’ve trained my body for combat.”

“But now you are trying to apply human technique to a Hippogriff body.” Windshear surmised.

“Exactly, and it isn’t going too well.” Hunter sighed.

“I understand. You will have to be taught from the beginning, as if you were a fledgling.”

“I’ll do whatever I have to.” Hunter said surely. “Lives are on the line.”

“Spoken like a true Hippogriff.” Windshear noted with a smile.

Hunter was taken to the docks where the royal naval vessels came and went on their long journeys across the seas. It was here where Hunter was introduced to High Tide and he explained his situation once more; with Windshear there to verify the account, High Tide agreed to take Hunter under his wing. He was asked to return in the morning so they could begin, so for the remainder of the day he returned to Sunset and Twilight who had taken a pair of rooms in the lodge that served as a rest stop for tourists.

The following dawn, Hunter met with High Tide in the Harmonizing Heights and began his crash course in being a Hippogriff. Pushing aside his years of training and starting from square one, he was walked through everything from anatomy to talon care and basic flight. High Tide put him through a series of drills that were used in helping young Hippogriffs refine their movement in the air to maximize output and minimize effort. Only stopping to eat, Hunter then went into drills used for training the Hippogriffs of Queen Novo’s navy. High Tide also instructed him on a number of exercises he could do on his own to develop specific muscles that would aid in his speed and strength. Hunter spent the rest of the day doing sets of these routines and flying through the training course that was set up. It was past dark before he returned to the lodge; he rapped on Sunset’s door and wearily staggered in when she opened.

“There you are.” Sunset looked him over. “Have you seriously been at it all day?”

“Not all day.” Hunter insisted. “I went to the bathroom a few times.” He laughed weakly as Sunset got him over to the bed and laid him down, he sprawled out and sighed in exhaustion. “That’s nice.”

“How did it go?” Sunset got on the bed beside him.

“Good… good.” He answered through a long breath. “At first my mind and muscles were screaming at each other but neither of them were listening… like an argument in a comment section. But I see what I’ve been doing wrong and I’m getting a handle on things.” He twisted onto his stomach to reach the edge of the bed. “Do me a favor and roll me over to the chair.”

“Stop it.” Sunset crawled over and began massaging his back and shoulders with her hooves. “You can sleep in the bed tonight.”

“Trust me that much, huh?” He smiled.

“Like you’re in any condition to try anything.” She patted the top of his head.

“Fair point.” He chuckled into the sheets. “Thanks, Sunny.”

“Least I can do.” She continued to massage him until he fell asleep. Laying the blanket over him, she curled up at his side and joined him in slumber.


Hunter spent the next three days training with High Tide from sun up to sun down. Pushing his body to its limit he strove to improve his abilities as much and as quickly as possible. High Tide was impressed by his determination, having put him through the paces at twice the rate as he would a standard recruit. Near the end of the third day, the two of them sat as Hunter downed another canteen of water.

“You’ve been doing great, Hunter. “High Tide patted his back with an approving laugh. “How’re you feeling?”

Hunter swallowed and let out a heavy breath. “Ready to take on a couple of monsters.”

“I’ll bet. Your speed has tripled and you’re making my obstacle course look obsolete.” High Tide looked back over the trials he had set up. “I don’t know if there is much more I can show you.”

“Actually there is.” Hunter pointed out towards the ocean. “I’m interested in this whole "sea pony" thing. How are you able to change form at will?”

“That’s easy, with this.” High Tide raised his chin, displaying the necklace he wore. “This necklace contains a piece of Queen Novo’s magical pearl. Even a fragment this small can imbue a Hippogriff with the ability to move between land and sea.”

“You think I could borrow one?” Hunter asked. “I could use the advantage.”

“I see no reason as to why not, but you should ask Windshear.” High Tide suggested.

“Right.” Hunter stood and held out his talon. “Thank you for all this, High Tide.”

“It was my pleasure.” He took Hunter's talon. “Given your mission, I hope my teaching can aid in the protection of this world.”

“It will, I’ll make sure of it.” Hunter vowed. With what little energy he had left, Hunter returned to the village and made his way to Windshear’s home. The village patriarch answered his knock and eagerly welcomed him inside.

“Hello, young one.” He greeted as he closed the door behind them. “How are you progressing?”

“It seems I’ve graduated.” Hunter informed with a smile.

“Going to be on your way then?”

“Soon, but High Tide said I should talk to you about one of those necklaces.” Hunter pointed to Windshear’s own accessory. “I don’t need one permanently, but I think it will come in handy for what's coming up.”

“I imagine it would.” Windshear nodded. “Unfortunately, we have no more in the village… but…” Windshear reached up and removed his necklace. “If it will help this noble cause, I will allow you mine.”

Hunter reached out and took the necklace. “Thank you.” Hunter humbly lowered his head.

“Just make sure you succeed, so that it can be safely returned.” He smiled.

“You got it.” Hunter assured.

“There is one other thing I would like to offer you.” Windshear motioned for him to follow. “As head of the village, I am in possession of certain artifacts of our culture. After some thought, given the nature of your task, I ultimately decided that there is one in particular that should interest you.” He led him through his home to a room that resembled a museum; filled with artifacts of the Hippogriff species. Windshear gestured to a set of silver armor, Hunter stepped past him and observed the exquisite mail. “This is the Armor of Sky Spear, named for its owner who fought in the original battle against the Storm King. When we returned from the sea, we discovered it alongside the bones of the hero who sacrificed himself so that many may escape into the ocean. The armor we wear now is based on this suit, although this set in particular is far sturdier and accompanied by bladed gauntlets which we no longer need in these peaceful times.” Windshear set his talon to the back of Hunter's neck, giving him a confident squeeze. “These creatures you face are no doubt mighty and in spite of your training here, you still lack the natural edge given to them by nature’s design. Now that you are more able to fight as a Hippogriff, I can think of no creature better to carry this armor into battle once more.”

Hunter ran his talon across the breast plate and looked back at him unsurely. “Are you sure?”

“I am.” Windshear nodded. “And I know that Sky Spear would be honored knowing that a warrior like you would be using it to defend this world from villains, just as he did so long ago.”

“Thank you.” Hunter smiled and returned his eyes to the gleaming armor.

Twilight and Sunset sat over dinner in the lobby of the lodge. Their eyes were drawn to the doors upon hearing numerous gasps from the Hippogriffs around them.

“Hunter.” Sunset’s eyes widened as she beheld her armored friend.

“Not bad, huh?” Hunter asked as he approached their table. “A parting gift from Windshear to help in the effort, as well as this.” He tapped his claw against his necklace.

“A piece of Novo’s pearl.” Twilight smiled. “Now you can use your sea pony form.”

“Does this mean you’ve completed your training?” Sunset asked.

“Yeah, we can head back tomorrow.” He nodded.

“Alright then.” Twilight stood from the table. “I’ll get us tickets for the morning train.”

As Twilight headed to the station, Sunset rose and ran her hoof over the armor. “Pretty good look for you.”

“The necklace isn’t too much, is it?” He pouted.

“No, Rarity.” She gingerly smacked his beak.

“I’ve got some big shoes to fill in this thing.” Hunter said solemnly. “But I’m a lot more confident about our rematch now.”

Twilight teleported before them bearing three tickets back home. “Okay, we’re all set.”

“Great, then let’s finish dinner.” Sunset suggested as she sat back down.

“Ooh, what are we having?” Hunter pulled up a chair beside her and looked down at her plate.

“Order your own.” She laughed, guarding her food.

“Fine.” He huffed and went to the counter. After their meal and some time relaxing, they went to bed early to ensure that they would be packed and ready for the long ride home in the morning.