• Published 13th Dec 2011
  • 789 Views, 9 Comments

Tales of Flutterbreeze: Hometown Blues - Flutterbreeze



Finally back home, Flutterbreeze, mailpony/secret agent, tries to solve the mystery of a traitor....

  • ...
 9
 789

Damsel in Distress

Trixie sat alone at her desk, writing down the details about a new spell she was working on. ‘The Art of Dephlostigation by The Great and Powerful Tri-’ Her quill snapped. She looked around the desk and inside every drawer for a new one, but was all out. ‘Is it worth it?’ She looked at the blank paper and sighed. ‘Yes, yes it is.’

She got up and walked over to Flutterbreeze’s door, then knocked. A few moments later, the pegasus appeared. “...yeah?” She could tell by the state of his mane and his tired expression that he had been sleeping.

“All the Great and Powerful Trixie requires of you is the use of a feather.”

He blinked a couple of times, then plucked a feather from one of his wings and held it out to her. She hesitated. ‘Not quite what I had in mind... but as long as it can write...’ She took it from him magically and said, “Thank you.” He gave a slight nod and closed the door.

Back at her desk, she began writing again. ‘When using dephlostigation techniques, it is important to remember not to attempt them on a living creature without extensive prior practice. One may also note tha-’ She heard a loud crash from the other room, specifically the balcony door. She nervously tip-hoofed her way towards the living room, levitating a pillow with intent to hit any intruders with it.

She creeped up to the doorway to the living room, now able to see shards of glass on the floor. She started sweating, slowly bringing her head around the corner...

“AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!” The scream awoke Flutterbreeze from his nap once again. He grabbed his mailbag just in case and ran to Trixie’s front door. ‘locked... the balcony!’ He flew outside and saw the forcefully broken door. He stealthily scanned inside without setting foot on the floor. Whoever had been there was already gone, but he found a stray piece paper on the floor. He read the horribly written note:

Deer stoopid flyng bloo poknee, we got yor marefrend. If yoo want her bak, fahlo teh map belo. We wil bee wading. -Sirvents of Zolotoll-

‘So they’ve come for me again... And she is NOT my marefriend!’

A city as old as Fillydelphia often holds many secrets under the surface. The sewers and catacombs of the city had expanded over the years to form a complex web of tunnels, passageways, and secret chambers. Nopony knew everything that went on under the city, and a lone traveller like Flutterbreeze never knew what to expect... or who.

As he was rounding a corner, he literally ran into a tan pony with brown mane. Both let out a startled “Ahh!” and back up a few steps.

“You aren’t a flying snake.” Flutterbreeze said.

“I’m not? Well that’s good.”

Flutterbreeze gave him a very confused look. “Who are you? And what are you doing down here?”

“Well, who I am doesn’t matter, as for what I’m doing here, I’m not sure yet. All I know is it’s important. I figure I’ll just follow you around until I find out. What year is this?”

“1001 NM.” He said with an even more confused look.”And I’m afraid I can’t have you following me.”

“Ooh, big, important, secret missiony stuff. Perfect.”

Flutterbreeze thought for a moment. ‘Could this be a new operative? Unless... he could be the traitor. This is a pretty good set-up for a trap. It’s risky, but if I keep my guard up I could turn the tables on him...’

“Alright, you can come along, but first tell me your name.”

“I’m the doctor.”

“The doctor? What kind of doctor?” He noticed the hourglass cutie mark on the pony.

“Doctor Whooves is what they call me around here.”

“Right...”

“So what exactly is it we are doing?”

“Rescuing my annoying neighbor from a horde of feathered serpents who are undoubtedly waiting to ambush me from the shadows.”

“Great, what’s the plan?”

“There is no plan.”

“Perfect!”

They kept walking down the dimly lit corridors until Flutterbreeze stopped and motioned at a ladder leading upwards to what appeared to be the trap door of some basement. “Right up here... you go first.”

“Me?”

“Yes. It’s me they want, so you go up first and spring the trap, then I’ll fly up there and beat them all up.”

Doctor Whooves pointed a small metal object upwards then looked at it. “You sure? There’s at least ten living creatures up there. And a bowl of pears! I hate pears...”

“Do you have a better idea?”

“Well, if we could cut another hole in the floor, that might bring them down to us.”

“But it’s solid concrete...”

They heard an explosion sound above them, followed by some yelling. Flutterbreeze shot upwards, bursting through the trap door. Doctor Whooves struggled to follow using the ladder.

Trixie had apparently busted out of the cage she had been held in, but was still gagged and was being subdued again by a number of winged serpent things.

“Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!” Flutterbreeze came in with a flying kick that sent the first villain across the room. The commotion he caused by his flamboyant attack allowed Trixie to hop over to a corner and start untying the ropes around her hooves.

Flutterbreeze kept bucking and fighting while Doctor Whooves kept scrambling up the ladder. “Don’t worry I’m almost there!”

When she was finally free, Trixie used her magic and the rope that bound her to hogtie the nearest feathered reptile. Flutterbreeze pulled out his trusty duct tape and did the same to another.

Doctor Whoves finally reached the top. “Alright! *pant* I’m here! *huff* Oh goodness, what is going on here?” He pulled out his metal object and brandished it at one of the serpentine forms. It didn’t seem to have much real effect, but the scoundrels started to realise their ambush had failed.

The ones that were still free grabbed their tied-up comrades and fled upstairs and out a window in the building above. It was too dark for Flutterbreeze to follow them at that point, and he didn’t feel like heading into another ambush.

“My hero!” Trixie rushed over to a shocked Doctor Hooves. “The Great and Powerful Trixie thanks you for coming to her aid.”

“But I didn’t do any-”

“No, no you can take all the credit for this one.” Flutterbreeze said. “I was never here.”

“Oh, no you are the one who shall take credit for this rescue.”

“How about we just forget this whole thing!” Trixie said.

Flutterbreeze and Doctor Whooves then said at the same time, “Brilliant!”

“By the way,” said the doctor “I never caught your name.”

“Flutterbreeze.”

“Really? You know I really enjoyed reading your autobiography, though I don’t think you captured me quite r-”

“I don’t have and autobiography.”

“Oh, umm. Never mind that then. I’d best be off before I mess up anything. Besides my ride is waiting.”

“Ride?” Doctor Whooves had already run off. He turned to Trixie. “I guess we’d better be getting home then.”

She had a very angry expression on her face. “Listen, I don’t care what you do during your free time, or what sorts of weird creatures you choose to hang out with. BUT KEEP THE GREAT AND POWERFUL TRIXIE OUT OF IT!!!” She stormed off.

‘Woah..........’