• Published 13th Dec 2011
  • 789 Views, 9 Comments

Tales of Flutterbreeze: Hometown Blues - Flutterbreeze



Finally back home, Flutterbreeze, mailpony/secret agent, tries to solve the mystery of a traitor....

  • ...
 9
 789

Home, Sweet Home

Once again, Flutterbreeze flew through the night sky with a full mailbag and great hopes. He was particularly happy that night to fly home to Phillydelphia after being gone almost a week. The flight from Canterlot used up the entire night, so when the exhausted blue pegasus finally returned to his hometown, he decided his first course of “action” would be to take a nap on the first available cloud he saw.

Well into the day, he finally awoke, straightened out his curly, dark blue mane, and trotted along the city streets to his favorite coffee shop, Eiskaffoal.

“Well, look who’s finally back!” He was greeted by his best friend, Coffeeflower, the barista. “Anything interesting happen on your ‘trip’?” He started drinking a cup of coffee.

“I’ve been knighted.” This response caused Coffeeflower to spit out his drink in disbelief. “For services to the royal family of Canterlot.”

“This wouldn’t have anything to do with the front page of today’s paper, would it?” He slid a newspaper over the Flutterbreeze.

“Capital woes ended by Princess Luna: The princess has vanquished a horde of marauding snake-men in a heroic feat to protect the citizens of Canterlot... I may have been involved in it.”

“I thought you were going to Ponyville?” He floated a cup of coffee over to Flutterbreeze magically.

“I did, but the life of a secret agent is always...” He paused a moment at the sight of a blue unicorn with silvery mane, who was wearing an apron and cleaned up the coffee mess very unenthusiastically. “... unpredictable.”

“Oh, this is Trixie, my new employee.” said Coffeeflower.

“Since when did you have employees?”

“Two days ago.”

“The Great and Powerful Trixie”, she began to say, “Is only working in this establishment until she can earn enough money to return to her life as a performer.”

“I’ve heard that story many times.” Flutterbreeze said, “So many young mares with aspirations of stardom, reduced to cleaning bathrooms at the coffee shop.”

“I was a very successful performer until a recent... accident. Tell me, have YOU ever defeated and ursa?”

“Yes, actually.”

“You have not!” she said incredulously. “And anyways, the Great and Powerful Trixie does not clean bathrooms.”

“She does if she wants to get paid.” said Coffeeflower.

*sigh* “The Great and Powerful Trixie will now go clean the bathrooms. But then she is going on break!” When she left to do her “duty”, the two stallions continued their drinks and discussion.

“Anything else happen here while I was gone?”

“A bakers convention has started downtown, a taco stand spontaneously combusted, some ponies have been saying that aliens have landed in town.”

“So, nothing interesting, eh?” He noticed his coffee cup was now empty. “Well, I’d better get home before I have to start delivering mail.”

“Alright, see you later.”

Flutterbreeze lived on the top floor of an apartment building not far from Pferdchendorf, the suburb in which the coffee shop was located. It didn’t take long for him to fly there, right to the balcony door. ‘Looks like somepony’s moved in next door.’ He had noticed a potted shrub on the balcony next to his.

Once inside, he set down his mailbag, laid down on his bed, and started thinking about what he had been through recently.

‘Somewhere, right now, an old, evil beast is lurking underground, too afraid to show his face from the world.’ He cringed. ‘Oh great, now I’ve gone and remembered that awful image...’
He relaxed a bit as he thought of the time he spent with Luna.
‘No doubt there is a traitor out there, hiding in the organization. I have to find out who it is.’
All I know is they were in Ponyville when I was... if I even know that. Still, it’s as good a place as any to start. If only I knew any of the agents from Ponyville. The agency keeps the operatives’ identities secret to each other unless they are working together on a mission, and the only one I know of from there is Agent Applebloom, and I don’t think she has much motive for destroying the sun...’

‘What else do I know? They were in Ponyville, found out I was an agent, heard me say I was headed to Canterlot at the party... the party! The list of guests is surely smaller than the entire town’s population, and should narrow the search down quite a bit. I don’t know everypony who was there though, only a few of them... but I think I know who somepony who remembers! I’ll have to contact her somehow, but first...’ He looked at his mailbag. ‘I’d better get all this mail delivered.’

He decided to leave his apartment by the interior hallway, both for a change of pace and to deliver mail to the other tenants. After locking his door, he turned around to see Trixie standing in the hallway by the next door down. They both stared at each other with confused looks for a moment.

“What are you doing here?” she asked.

“This happens to be my apartment. What are YOU doing here?”

“These humble rooms are the temporary living quarters of the Great and Powerful Trixie.”

“Ok... I’ll just be on my way then...” He walked past, out of the building, both continuing their suspicious and awkward looks. ‘I can tell this is going to be a long day.’