• Published 11th Aug 2019
  • 4,000 Views, 21 Comments

Heir to the Throne - Arkantos

  • ...
9
 21
 4,000

It's a Trap

A ball of ice was fired at a crowd of armed skeleton ponies. When the ice ball hit the middle of the crowd, it blew up and several ice shards flew out, hitting most of the skeleton ponies in the vicinity. The bones of the skeletons that were hit turned into ice.

Then came a beam of heat which melted a path through the skeleton ponies. But two of the skeleton ponies were able to raise their spears. But Red Dawn ran out and cut down both of those skeleton ponies.

Sunset and her father then walked through, and Sunset said, "I think we are almost there."

Red Dawn replied, "You are correct. It's my job to know where the castle is." And then they saw it, Canterlot castle in all its glory.

But what they didn't notice was the rope that slowly moved on the ground towards them. It quickly wrapped itself around Sunset. She tried to yell, but the rope got tighter. Then, Sunset tried to focus her magic around her neck, loosening the rope and giving her the chance to yell, "Dad! Uncle! Help me!"

But the rope pulled her away so fast that all they heard her yell was “Dad” before she disappeared. They began to run after her.

Sunset saw that the rope was taking her somewhere, but she didn’t plan on finding out where. She teleported out of the rope, but she was low on magic. She needed to find a place where she could recharge her magic. Suddenly, a net was thrown on her and several hollow ponies ran to secure it. One of the hollow ponies placed a magic ring on her horn, a ring that cancelled out her magic. Sunset remembered reading about these rings. They were called Imprison Rings, for once they were put on, there's no way to take them off, unless some other pony takes it off.

When she saw the ring, it looked very dark. In fact, it looked like it was made of shadows.

Then, a mighty helm armor hollow pony walked up and a voice in the armor spoke, sounding as old as Sunset herself. The voice said, "Hello, Sunset Shimmer. I imagine you’re surprised?"

Sunset replied, "Yes, and who are you? I would like to know who is behind the cloak and why you are not killing me."

Sunset asked this with a brave face, and the hollow pony that was using the War Path armor laughed and said, "You should know by now. But you will see me soon enough." Then the armor turned around and ordered the skeleton ponies to make sure that no pony could come in, and when Sunset saw a hollow pony use a green crystal to draw a teleport circle, the runes started to make sense to her.

The hollow pony turned back to her and said, "See you soon, I will not kill you, this time." The hollow pony walked away.

If some pony didn't come soon, then she would certainly meet the pony that was attacking Canterlot.

Elsewhere, Red Dawn said to Sun Blast, "Brother, go and find your daughter. As for me, I am going to get help."

“You can’t just run away like this! Your niece needs you!" Exclaimed Sun Blast.

Red Dawn shouted, "And the last thing she needs is a dead father and uncle!"

After a minute of cooling down, Red Dawn said, "If I know anything about military tactics, then the enemy will be waiting for us and it will be a blood bath. But if one of us got some reinforcements, then we might have a chance of getting Sunset back alive."

Sun Blast nodded and went after his daughter, while Red Dawn ran into the castle.

As Sun Blast ran through the ruined streets of Canterlot, he started to slow down. He felt some magic residue in this area, and began to sniff the air. He thought to himself She must have used a teleporting spell. He reached inside his saddlebags and pulled out a magic powder, which he spread around him. As it fell onto the ground, it started to glow and form a line.

Sun Blast made sure his brother could find it by building up a small tower from a ruined building. Then he began to follow the glowing line.

He saw several skeleton ponies positioned at what used to be the Canterlot barracks, and in the front of the barracks entrance, he saw Sunset with a black ring on her horn and a net over her.

Four hollow ponies were also there. One of them was making a ground spell the old way, by drawing it. The progress was slow, but it was halfway done.

Then Sun Blast heard something far away. He recognized the sounds. It was the thundering horse shoes of the Solar guard. And then he heard his brother yelling, "Charge for Canterlot!"

Red Dawn appeared, drawing his sword. Three Earth ponies and three unicorns were there too, bearing torches. They approached the ruin of the barracks while two pegasus flew over it. Several skeleton ponies and three hollow ponies were there to meet them.

The two pegasuses dove down to pick off one or two skeleton ponies, and the Earth ponies took on three skeleton ponies, one on one. The skeleton ponies on the roof of the barracks let loose a barrage of arrows, but the three unicorns lit up their horns to make magical shields.

Once the barrage stopped, Shining Armor yelled "Fire!" The unicorns dropped their shields and fired several beams of magic at the skeleton ponies. Some of the magic beams missed, but others hit their targets, which collapsed into piles of bones.

Then Red Dawn got tangled with a hollow pony. He got the upper hoof, and the hollow pony lost its weapon. Red Dawn went in for the kill, stabbing the smoking shadow face. The hollow pony fell, crumbling into a pile of armor. Red Dawn just hoped they would be victorious.

Suddenly, another pony made its way out onto the battlefield and the Mighty helm armor went straight to Red Dawn with it ax raised.

Shining Armor jumped forward and tackled the hollow pony, then drew his sword trying to kill it. However, the hollow pony managed to block his attack using its ax. The hollow pony pushed the exhausted Shining Armor back, and then turned around to use its hind legs to kick him through a wall. Shining Armor lay on the ground, out cold.