• Published 28th May 2019
  • 514 Views, 12 Comments

FrostBound - Azrael the alicorn



Revenge is a dish that is best served cold

  • ...
1
 12
 514

A Cold Yet Gentle Heart

For the second time in that day, Twilight awakened from the slumber. But, unlike the last time, this time she didn’t found herself imprisoned in a cold cell, but in a vast hall that was actually familiar to her: the ballroom where usually Celestia kept the Grand Galloping Gala. But first and most importantly, she actually felt warmth. As she got up, she noticed that she and her friends were not alone in there. There was Shining Armor, Cadence, Spike, Ember, Discord, Steel Wing, Luna and Celestia. Once got over the dizziness, the joy to be reunited was great, but there was also confusion.

“What a nice gathering we got here” commented Discord. “Now, before we start with all the kisses and hugs, can somepony tell me what’s going on?”.

“Yes” had to agree Shining Armor , “did you managed to defeat Cryo?”.

If they didn’t, I doubt we would be here right now. Neither there would be the sun, restored back to normal” pointed out Steel Wing, looking outside, before noticing something that let him nearly speechless. “Wait. Up there, in the sky… that’s Hasty Hooves airship!” exclaimed the pegasus, taken aback by the presence of a airship.

“The Sirocco is there too!” pointed out Spike.

“I knew that the power of the Elements of Harmony was great, but I didn’t expect them to even bring back the dead” commented Steel Wing, amazed.

“I don’t think it was us to do that” told them Applejack, unsure.

“Oh? Then who?” asked Princess Luna.

“Me” said a voice in the air. Before anyone could ask who was it, there was a flash of blue and white light, followed by the appearance of Cryo. The ice dragon had made some changes to his look. The scales had turned from black to a strong shade of cobalt, with the ones of the underbelly looking slightly more dark, while his eyes had changed from blue to a snow like white. His horns were of a glacial azure, while other spikes look more grayish. But the most amazing details of his aspect were his wings. They were of a blazing azure, a display of the immense energies that were coursing inside of his body. “Or, to be more precise, me and my friends”. He added with his deep but no longer echoing voice, lowering his head to their level. His face was no longer a skull, but an actual muzzle. A rather elegant one, which was a perfect balance of strength and beauty. When he opened a his mouth to talk, he revealed the most perfect set of teeth and fangs they had ever seen in a dragon. Not too big that came out of his mouth in a comical or aggressive way, nor too small that made it look weak and fragile. In short, his appearance was awe-inspiring and majestic.

“Friends? You have friends?” asked Discord, “Weren’t you the one claiming that friendship is stupid?” mused the spirit of chaos.

“Oh, don’t mock him, Discord. We wouldn’t be here without him” came to his aid Fluttershy.

“Yes, is thanks to his help that we won, after all” mentioned Rainbow Dash.

At that, everyone except Cryo and the Mane 6 exploded into a big “WHAT!?”.

“Is true” said Celestia, taking word. “I was there when he betrayed the Windigos, instructing the bearers of Harmony on how to purify him from those hateful spirits”.

“Well would you look at that, even after you betrayed him he’s still a nice dragon” commented Discord, glaring at the white alicorn.

Celestia looked shocked, “How did you…?”.

“I told them” confessed Cadence, ashamed “I’m sorry, aunt, but the truth had to come out sooner or later. With you possibly gone and the world coming to an end, somepony had to tell them the truth”.

“And now that we know what you did, don’t expect this story to have an happy ending for you. You may have gotten you castle back, but I doubt you will ever get the trust of your ponies back” almost snarled Discord, menacing.

Celestia couldn’t find anything to reply, not in front of all the expressions of her people. The Mane 6, Spike, Steel Wing, Cadence and Shining Armor looked so disappointed, while Discord and Ember were downright furious. Luna was the only one that didn’t seem to embittered, but she still couldn’t find something to say, other than nice but empty words. In the middle of that silence, Cryo took word again. To her and everyone else surprise, his words weren’t accusing. “Don’t be mad at her. What she and Stars Whirl did, was beyond their control”

“What do you mean by that?” asked Luna.

Cryo took a brief look outside “I will tell you. But I need to be quick, so that I won’t need to repeat this story for the others later”.

***

There would have been a time in which, seeing Celestia having to face the rage and disappointment of her people for what she did to him would have made him feel good. But now that he was free from the hateful presence of the Windigos and finally knew the reason behind her betrayal, he couldn’t allow to see her suffering. So he told the little crowd in front of him everything. Well, almost everything. He told them about the manipulation of Fate Weaver, about the help he got from the Ice Master and Gloomy Dusk and about the plan to deceive the Windigos, but he kept from himself the origins of his power, the fact that the two were from another dimensions, and the story of his people. And the fact that Spike was his brother.
I will tell them about it, one day, but not today Cryo thought. If he told them about what the warlock did, they would have decided to try and help him and his people to get rid of that tyrant. I can take care of him by myself, without any assist . And for Spike, he couldn’t just bring himself to tell him about it. Is it fear to be rejected as a brother by him? Or is it because I don’t want to upset him? His brother is a basically a deity, his parents are dead because a warlock turned their own people against each other for his own gain. No, too much to know in one day. Another time maybe, when I will feel that both of us are strong enough to face the truth .

“So you’re telling me that Celestia actions were all the result of a incarnation of destiny?” summed Discord, not nearly as surprised as the others.

“In short, yes”.

“Ah! I knew it! Fate only brings trouble. That’s why I always prefer chaos. Much more freedom and not as many problems” said the Draconequus, nodding by himself proudly.

“So it was because of Fate Weaver the latest events. With Celestia putting me to the test and me getting the wings and becoming a princess. That, and me accepting the coronation without any questions. Knowing that, I’m even more proud to not having those wings anymore!” commented Twilight Sparkle.

“I’m afraid your wings are not the only thing that got lost, during our battle” said Cryo.

“What do you mean?”.

“The power of Harmony. Try to summon it”.

The Mane 6 obeyed and tried to transform into their “harmony” forms, but without success. “I… don’t understand. Why we can’t use the power of Harmony anymore?” asked Rainbow Dash, trying it by herself, but with the same results.

“Because, while the elements coursed through my being, cancelling the presence of the Windigos, they got overpowered by the energies of my own, deleting them from your bodies”.

“But… but that means that Equestria doesn’t have their first defense against the most serious threats!” exclaimed Shining Armor.

“Couldn’t be that the power of Harmony may come back? It isn’t the first time we thought we had lost them, after all” mentioned Cadence.

“Maybe yes, maybe not” told them Princess Luna, prudent. “But if they do come back, is going to take time for that to happen. We must hope that, during that time, no threats will endanger our country or the world”.

“But what if it happens?” wanted to know Steel Wing.

Discord was about to take breath to speak, without a doubt offering reluctantly to play the hero for them in that time of need, even though that would have meant to tarnish even more his title of “spirit of chaos” (Or what little he had left) when Cryo took word once again. “If any threat had to appear on the horizon, I will take care of it” said the ice dragon.

“You!?” snapped Discord, having an hard time to decide if feeling relieved to not be 100% a hero or angry, for having stolen the chance to show off his powers.

“You would do that for us?” asked Rarity.

“Why wouldn’t I?” retorted Cryo. “After giving you such an hard time facing me down, and you losing your main defense against the forces of evil this is the least I could do to repay you”.

“That’s so kind of yours” said while smiling Fluttershy. “Thank you”.

“No, thank you, Fluttershy, Rarity, Applejack, Pinkie Pie, Rainbow Dash and Twilight Sparkle. Is only thanks to you that I had a chance to finally be freed from the Windigos. Of course, I doubt I would have been able to gain their trust, if I didn’t proved how ruthless I was towards my adversaries” he added, pointing at Steel Wing, Ember, Spike and Discord. “For that, I own you just as much”.

“Glad we could be useful” nodded in respect Steel Wing, glad that his presence was of an actual use. “And thank you for not killing for real my soldiers”.

“Same here” agreed Ember, “But I doubt my people will handle this with the same grace of the ponies here. Especially my father, after you humiliated him like a whelp”.

“I’m painfully aware of how grumpy your kin can be. I wouldn’t be surprised if they would try to pick a fight with me”.

“Trust me, they won’t bother you. I promise you, on my title of Dragon Lord, that they will not try to torch you” she said, before adding with small grin, “Even though I doubt that they will be capable of doing anything to you”.

“And you would be right. Good, then I think I’ll be going”.

“Going where?” asked Pinkie Pie.

“To the volcano Ifrit”.

“Wait, what!? But why?” questioned Rainbow Dash, just as confused as the others.

“Yes, why, darling?” asked Rarity, “After spending so much time there, why on Equestria would you want to go back there? You don’t have nothing there, except bad memories”.

“Because is the only place where I can stay without endangering someone” told them Cryo. “Celestia and Stars Whirl may have been manipulated by Fate Weaver, but their fear was not misplaced. I am truly too much powerful to stay among the other creatures of world. Isolation will keep you safe, at least until I won’t have learned all there is to know about my powers”.

“You don’t need it to do it alone, Cryo” said Celestia, getting closer to the ice dragon. “You can stay here, with me and my sister. Together we will help you, but unlike in the past, there won’t be any lies”. The white alicorn place a gentle hoof on Cryo claw, “Please, allow me to repay you for all the pain I’ve caused you, to deserve your forgiveness”. The ruler of Equestria and the ice dragon looked at each other eye, while the rest of the group looked at the scene with curiosity and hope for a good conclusion.

After what seemed like an eternity, Cryo replied, “After what I’ve learned, there’s nothing you must prove, Celestia. I will forgive you, eventually, but I need time to clear out my emotions, first. When that will happen, I will consider your offering”.

“Is all that I could ask” said Celestia, her eyes filled with tears of happiness, instead of sadness and fear. “Hopefully one day we will manage to make a party in your honor”.

“I’m going to prepare it just once we go back to Ponyville!” jumped out Pinkie Pie, excited. “Just let me know what you would prefer to eat and I will prepare it by myself” promised the pink earth pony.

"Speaking of Ponyville, I think is time we go back to tell the others to come out, now that the crisis has passed” commented Applejack, who just wanted to have big family hug.

“And I need to bring my people back to the dragon lands, before they start to get nervous” added Ember.

“Then I guess is time to say goodbye” said Cryo. “But first, I have something to give you”. The ice dragon moved closer to Spike, handing him something similar to a crystal, “If you had to face threats bigger than you can face, don’t hesitate to contact me with that, and I will come to your aid in a blink of an eye”.

“Does that include opening a very hard pickle jar?” asked Pinkie Pie.

“No”.

“Ah, Ok” replied the pink pony, grumpy.

“Now is time for me to leave” declared Cryo, “Ah, one last thing, Celestia, given how I no longer need supervision, I took the liberty to drag back to Equestria the group that was watching me over in Ifrit. Most of the group is made of brave ponies, that even in the face of certain defeat fought with valor. Except for one of them, a certain pegasus without the bravery of a chicken that flew away in the time of need, trying to save his own hide. I hope that you’ll know what to do with him”.

“Yellow fur with a blue mane?”.

“Yes”.

“Flash Sentry” grumbled Twilight Sparkle, annoyed as the rest of her friends. The pegasus was infamously know to be more attentive to his own health than the one of others. That, and being just incapable of guarding a place without getting distracted by his own reflection or self-centered thoughts.

“We will have to think about something that won’t endanger the whole country” said Princess Luna.

“I’m sure you will find something. Now I bid you farewell, my friends” declared Cryo.

“If you see him, thank Gloomy Dusk and the Ice Master for our part” said quickly Twilight Sparkle.
The ice dragon nodded, before vanishing in a flash of light.

“Great, now he’s copying my style” grumbled Discord.

***

Once Cryo left, the rest of the group departed ways.
Steel Wing saluted them and the dragon lord Ember, claiming that it was an honor to have worked by side with dragons, instead of against them.
Ember said the same, as she flew the reborn dragon flock back to their lands (While picking up his unconscious father on the way, but not before giving one strong hug to Spike, thanking him for his attempt to saving her, making the purple dragon blush.
Through that time, Twilight couldn’t help but think to the mysterious Gloomy Dusk. A wise pony once said the eyes can reflect their souls. If so, Gloomy Dusk eyes told her so much and yet so little. Eyes capable to show incredible kindness just as terrifying but right anger. I wish I could know him better thought the lavender unicorn. When they left the Canterlot palace, she and her friends could feel that Princess Celestia was back to her old self. In fact, she looked even happier than before. Cryo purification seems to have purified even Celestia, from her fault and guilt.
When Discord teleported them back to Ponyville, they found out something unexpected.

“What in the hay happened in here!?” blurted out Applejack. Twilight castle had lost any color and was filled with cracks. It looked nearly ready to fall apart at any moment. Luckily, as they soon discovered, all the ponies in Ponyville had left the palace, going back in the open, enjoying the weather outside. Now that the Windigos had been destroyed, spring had returned filling the world with colors and warmness, making disappear any trace of winter.

As the Mane 6, Spike and Discord made their way towards the palace, their presence was noticed by Applejack family and the Cutie Mark Crusaders. “Hi sis” greeted Applebloom, as Sweetie Bell said, “Hello Rarity”.

“So, have you taken care your mission?” asked Scotaloo.

The casual tone of the CMC left the Mane 6 confused. “Yes but… weren’t you scared?” asked in return Rarity.

"Nope” replied Applebloom.

“Why would we?” added Scotaloo.

“Because there was a giant” was about to told them Rainbow Dash, before Fluttershy closed her mouth with an hoof.

“Haven’t you noticed something big going outside the castle?” preferred to ask Twilight Sparkle

Sweetie Bell shook her head. “We were all sleeping until a few minutes ago, until Gloomy Dusk wake us up, telling us to get out before the palace could fall on our heads”.

“Gloomy Dusk?” muttered Twilight Sparkle, taken aback.

In that moment, the CMC noticed something about the lavender pony. “Twilight, what happened to your wings!?” questioned Scotaloo, alarmed by her sudden lack of wings.

“I’ll tell you later, now, please, tell me where Gloomy is”.

He remained back, wanting to pick those up” told them Sweetie Bell, pointing a few suitcase and baggage, which both Twilight and Spike recognized instantly.

[“Our stuff” said the pony and the dragon as one.

“After that, he told us to tell you to go where once there was the Golden Oak Library”.

“Thanks” and with that Twilight picked Spike up and run towards where once her old home was, followed by her friends.

“But… what about the castle?” tried to ask Sweetie Bell, confused.

Discord, who had remained behind, was still looking at the castle. The Draconequus knew what had happened. Given how the Elements and the castle were bound together, once they got cancelled out, so did the vitality of the building. Now it was just a matter of time before the castle would crumble down. “But why wait?” he asked to himself, before snapping a finger and making the palace fall into piece, while making sure that nopony got hurt by accident, before following the Mane 6 and Spike with their stuff.

Meanwhile, Twilight and her friend reached the point where Gloomy Dusk was supposed to be. But there was no trace of the mysterious unicorn. Instead, they saw something unexpected. The Golden Oak Library was back, just as pretty as the last time she saw it. “It’s back… I can’t believe it!” uttered the lavender pony, taken over by emotion.

“I had forgotten how much pretty it was” commented Fluttershy.

“That castle may have been shinier, but this one doesn’t need to shin to appear pretty” added Rarity.

You know, if you wanted it back so much, you could have just asked me” pointed out Discord, appearing to their side.

“Twilight!” called Spike, “I’ve found this attached to the door”.

It was a note. On it there was written: “You know the old saying, you can’t beat the classic. Enjoy your library. By none other than Gloomy Dusk”.

“Who are you, Gloomy Dusk?” wondered out loud Twilight.

“Do you think we will ever meet him?” asked Spike.

“Maybe, but until then… who wants to come in for a drink”.

The group nodded, entering inside the oak tree, cheering for the return of the old library. Twilight entered last, looking over where once her old castle was. Just like her wings, she wasn’t sad to have lost it. It was just like she said, back on the Sirocco. “Fate may have brought us together, but it’s up to us to remain friends”. Well, now that’s a certainty thought the lavender pony. Fate Weaver is gone, and now we are all free to make our own choices, be that right or wrong. And whatever the future has in store for us, we will face it together, as friends . And with that, she joined her friends inside.