• Published 10th Aug 2012
  • 1,309 Views, 16 Comments

Age of the Pony - Jacoboby1



Dragon Age Crossover with some changes to the story of DA2

  • ...
1
 16
 1,309

Chapter 3: "Hope and Tranquility"

Chapter 3

“Hope and Tranquility”

Thus began our first year in Kanterwall. Word had arrived from across the sea that The Hero of Equestria defeated the blight. The land was in peace now with its new king and queen on the throne. But the warden was nowhere to be found when the fighting ceased.

Ponyville however never rose again from the ashes of its fallen. Kanterwall was our home now. So we remained, paying off our dept and making names for ourselves in the underworld.

It was a busy year in the city of chains…that’s when the griffons landed. A storm had caught their ship and left hundreds of warriors stranded. Far away from flying distance of their home they waited for a ship to take them home.

That’s also when the trouble with the unicorns started. The templar order had become very powerful under the command of Knight Commander Maredith.

But most importantly…that’s when we met Pinkie Pie.

______________________________________________

“No!” Cranky said glaring at Ebony and Twilight as they stood in front of him. “Celestia’s teats pony! You know how many ponies have asked to be on this expedition already?”

The donkey was small, not happy about having refused the pair for the twelfth time. His coat was a dark brown and his head was covered by a black wig. He wore a robe of fine material which showed his status as a donkey of the merchant guild.

Twilight spoke as politely as she could muster “Look Cranky, we know you’re heading to the deep roads. You’ll need ponies with combat experience”

Cranky kept his frown “You’re too late pony, I’ve already done all the hiring I need”

Ebony shook his black head at the donkey “We’ve fought darklings before, just because the blight is over doesn’t mean you won’t find some down there”

The donkey snorted “Yeah? Well apparently you and half of Kanterwall have slain the Archdemon single hoofingly” The donkey shook his head and started to walk off “I’m funding an expedition not a damn charity! Find another meal ticket”

Twilight and her friend walked a ways. She shook her head “No wonder why they call him Cranky”

Ebony snorted “His mother either hated him or she had incredible powers of foresight into his personality”

“We need the money from this expedition, coin, status, anything to keep the templars from knocking down on our door and taking Spike”

“You’re more worried about Spike?” Ebony observed “I would think you should worry about them taking you”

Twilight shook her head “Spike is all the family I have; I don’t remember my family at all. I was taken from them when I was just a filly”

“I’m sorry”

Twilight smiled at her friend “Don’t apologize serah, I shouldn’t bore you with my problems”

Ebony frowned “Twilight you don’t have to call me serah every time you refer to me”

She kept her smile “It’s a title of respect, you pulled me and Spike out of the Chantry when we’ve given up hope. You’ve earned the title I call you even if you don’t have an estate to match it”

Ebony smiled at the violet unicorn but then felt somepony brush past him. A small earth pony was running away from him. Ebony felt his belt and realized his coin purse was gone. “Hey! Stop thief!”

The earthpony ran with the coin purse in his mouth. He looked back to see Ebony and Twilight in hot pursuit. The earth pony broke into a run at the sight of them. He rounded a corner when suddenly an arrow was shot at him. It pierced his leg and pinned the thief to the wall.

Ebony stopped to see a pink colored earth pony with a wild mess of a pink mane step out from a nearby alley. She was holding a large crossbow that folded up when she pulled on a lever. She hopped over to the thief and glared at him with bright blue eyes. “You know it’s really not nice to steal other pony’s things! You were lucky that Blinky here got your leg and not somewhere where you could get hurt a lot more! You aren’t a very good thief mister, I once knew somepony who could steal anything just by smiling at you” She smiled wide to drive home her point.

She then reached up and took back Ebony’s purse and she frowned at the thief. “Find a less Meany pants line of work!” She punched the thief in the face and pulled out the arrow and caused the thief to fall to the ground clutching his bleeding leg. The pink earth pony hopped over to Ebony and tossed him his coin purse. “Hi there! I’m Pinkie Pie!”

Ebony, getting his bearings after what he just witnessed, smiled and said “I’m Ebony Blade” He gestured to Twilight “This is my friend Twilight Sparkle”

“A pleasure” Twilight said smiling at the pink pony.

Pinkie looked past the pair and noticed they came from Cranky’s place. “You two tried to get on Cranky’s fun trip right?”

“Tried is the key word” Ebony said flatly “He won’t hire us on”

Pinkie sighed “Cranky’s not going to go on this fun trip if he keeps turning away ponies willing to help”

Ebony raised a white eyebrow “But I thought he said he was done hiring anypony”

Pinkie shook his head “Cranky doesn’t need a hireling he needs friends. Truth is Cranky has been ripping his wig out trying to get this trip funded and he can’t do it by himself” She hopped a little “50 gold bits and I’m sure he won’t refuse”

Ebony frowned “If I had that kind of coin we wouldn’t be on this expedition in the first place”

“Well I’m pretty sure ponies will be willing to pay you for work” Pinkie said matter of factly “In fact some ponies are so desperate for work they practically have exclamation points over their heads!”

Ebony was smart to ignore that comment. I think it would’ve destroyed his brain if he really thought about it. He simply nodded “Could you hook us up with some work?”

Pinkie nodded her head enthusiastically “Well yeah, also we kind of need to find a map leading to the deep roads. That way we can find an easy route without any nasty creatures trying to nom on our legs”

Twilight tilted her head “Do you have the map?”

“Nope” Pinkie said simply “But I have heard of a pony that has one”

“Where?” Ebony asked

“Dun know” Pinkie said

Both Ebony and Twilight face hoofed at the same time. Then the Pink Pony got really close and whispered to the pair. “But I know who can lead us to her; she’s a nurse who runs a clinic over in Lowtown”

Ebony nodded “Lead the way”
_________________________________________________________

The clinic was crowded with ponies. Most of them came from Equestria with some kind of ailment or problem. As the party entered the small building three mares were at the front desk arguing with a white pony with a pink mane and a Red Cross cutie mark.

A cream colored pony with a red mane spoke “My sister has a cough!”

A pink colored pony with a blond mane and a flower in her hair spoke even more frantic “My brother broke his leg!”

A third mare with a pink coat and a curly green mane spoke even more frantically “My cat won't let me pet him!”

The nurse pony sighed and shook her head. She gestured to each mare in turn. “You three are always panicking over the smallest things. Your sister’s coughing isn’t bad, your brother’s leg isn’t broken just sprained and your cat just doesn’t like you. So get to the back of the line for more important patients!”

All three mares went to the back of the very long line. Ebony wasn’t willing to wait for the line and moved his way to the nurse. She frowned at him “I’m going to have to ask you to head to the back. You don’t look sick to me”

Ebony shook his dark head and leaned across the desk “I was told that you could lead me to a pony that has a map of the deep roads”

The nurse looked past Ebony at Pinkie who was trying way too hard to look innocent. The nurse returned to her gaze to Ebony “Look she’s doing a lot of good things for these ponies. She’s delivered children, cured sicknesses, done so much without asking much in return. She’s a mare of true generosity”

Ebony nodded “She sounds like a great mare”

“She is and that’s why I’m cautious to tell anypony where to find her…” The nurse gazed at Ebony warily

“Who is she exactly?” Ebony asked “You wouldn’t go to such lengths to hide her if she was a simple nurse”

“Do you work for the templars?” the nurse asked even more warily “I’m not telling anypony where she is if you do…”

Twilight walked forward and lifted her hood. The nurse’s eyes went wide when she saw Twilight’s horn. Twilight fixed her hood so that nopony else could see that she was a mage. “I’m a mage to; would a templar really have an apostate mage running around?” Twilight said quietly so nopony could hear.

Slowly the nurse nodded “Very well…her name is Rarity, she used to be a Grey Warden”

Twilight raised an eyebrow “I didn’t know you could quit being a Grey Warden”

Ebony decided to move on “She’s a mage isn’t she? That would explain her healing prowess”

The nurse nodded “Yes, which is why I’m hesitant to tell anypony where she is”

Ebony got close to the nurse “She’s in no danger from me. I too lost somepony to the templars and I’m not going to just toss her to them”

Twilight looked over curiously at Ebony. Ebony never mentioned any of this to her and they’ve been together since arriving at Kanterwall.

The nurse sighed in relent “She’s in Darktown…look for the lantern”

_______________________________________________________

“You know for a place called Darktown it’s awfully bright” Pinkie observed as she hopped along with her friends “They should name it semi-dark town because look at how the light comes out over there”

Twilight rolled her eyes “I hope we find this mare soon before I suddenly cause an avalanche to fall on a certain pink pony”

Ebony stopped and held a hoof up. He looked to see a lantern lit by itself on a wall. Ebony felt along the wall and found the stone the nurse talked about. He pressed on the stone and a click was heard. Slowly the rocks moved by themselves and revealed a passageway leading into a cave.

“Wow” Pinkie said looking into the cave “Neat, I thought we’d just have to walk down to the end of a pathway and her clinic would be right there”

“Why would a mage who’s obviously in hiding have a clinic just out there?” Twilight retorted “It makes more sense for it to be hidden”

Pinkie shrugged “Just a thought”

Ebony led the way into the darkness of the cave. Suddenly the cave was lit by glowing diamonds allowing light for the path ahead. Pinkie eyed the shiny gems “Amazing, how do they glow like that?”

“Magic” Twilight said looking at the gems “Somepony enhanced these…”

“I think I found out whom” Ebony said pointing ahead. Flashes of light came from around the corner as the group got closer. Ebony peaked around the corner and gazed at what he saw.

She was the same age as he was with a coat of pure white. Her robes were violet and studded with gems on the lining. Her equally violet mane shined in the diamond light as she bent over a small Pegasus child. Her blue eyes closed and her horn glowed a bright blue.

The Pegasus gasped for a second but then sighed as pain subsided. The Pegasus got up and ran to his mother hugging her tightly. The unicorn smiled and walked to rest after exerting herself in the healing process.

Ebony approached the unicorn from behind but as he stepped into the room he saw her tense up. Suddenly a staff appeared at her side and she held it in front of her as she turned to face Ebony. “I have made this place a sanctuary for healing! Do you threaten it!?”

Twilight was about to reach for her own staff when Ebony held up a hoof to stop her. Ebony’s green eyes told the violet unicorn to back down. The warrior advanced slowly on the white unicorn and spoke gently “I mean you no harm; I’m just here to talk”

Pinkie hopped so that she stood beside Ebony. The Pink Pony smiled wide “Hi there I’m Pinkie Pie and these are my friends Ebonyblade and Twilight! We are going on a fun trip in the deep roads and we’d reeeally like your help!”

The unicorn arched eyebrow in interest “And you expect me to help how?”

“The nurse told us you were a grey warden” Ebony explained “We were hoping you could help us find a route to the deep roads”

The unicorn frowned “Did the warden send you to bring me back?” Before Ebony could answer she spoke dramatically “Well tell him I’m not interested! That horrible brute made me get rid my cat! Poor Opal, she hated the deep roads and she was so terrified of the ordeal!”

“You had a cat named Opal?” Ebony said with a raised eyebrow “And you let her run around with you in the deep roads?”

“She was a brave little thing” she said with a smile “Swatted a nasty grimlock on the nose one time” She frowned again “But that brute of a warden had me get rid of her! Said she made me too soft! The absolute nerve of some men!”

Ebony rolled his eyes “Look can you help us Miss…?”

“Rarity darling” She said with a curt bow. She smiled at Ebony a little “I must apologize if I come across as complaining”

“Funny it sounded like you were whining” Twilight said with a raised eyebrow

Rarity frowned “There is a difference between whining and complaining darling trust me” She turned her attention back to Ebony and eyed him with glistening blue eyes “I might be willing to give you the map…but a favor for a favor right?”

“What can we do for you?” Ebony asked almost like clockwork.

Rarity’s blue eyes turned serious “I came to Kanterwall in aide of friend. She said she would be able to help me find a sister of mine here if I helped her. This friend of mine is a mage…a prisoner in the horrible Gallows…”

“You have a sister?” I asked curious

Rarity nodded “Her name is Sweetie Belle and I’ve been looking for her for years. Sadly my efforts have been fruitless until now. My friend Fleur agreed to help me find her if I freed her from the gallows” She sighed “The Templars found out about my plans, I don’t know how but my friend is in great danger”

Pinkie sprung up between the two and smiled “We’ll help you right Bladey?”

“Bladey?” Ebony said with a raised eyebrow

“Yep, that’s my awesome nickname for you” Pinkie ignored Ebony’s attempt at protest and turned back to Rarity “We’ll help you get your friend out of there!”

Rarity smiled wide “Oh splendid! Meet me at the Chantry tonight at midnight! Fleur should be there if the letters went through!”

As the group turned to leave Twilight whispered in Ebony’s ear “I got a bad feeling about this…”

“You said it” Ebony said nodding “But if we don’t spring the trap then we can’t get the cheese and break out…”

____________________________________________________________

The four ponies entered the magnificent and empty halls of the Chantry. A large pair of statues of the Princess’ of Equestria stood with prominence on either side of the entrance. Ebony had always admired the amount of care that went into the statues. But right now wasn’t the time to admire architecture.

Rarity looked to her three companions “Alright, you three keep an eye out for templars, I’ll see about finding Fleur”

“I know you too well Rarity…” an almost dead voice spoke from behind Rarity. The mage quickly turned to see a beautiful and lanky unicorn walk to the party. Twilight’s eyes grew wide as the unicorn advanced on them…her horn was sawed off.

Rarity’s eyes found tears “No! No! Not you Fleur!”

Pinkie looked at Ebony frantic “What’s wrong with her?”

Ebony bowed his head “She’s been made Tranquil…her dreams are gone and now she’s mindless slave to the will of the templars…”

“The Templars are not evil Rarity…” Fleur continued her eyes only facing forward. Ebony turned around to see heavily armored earth ponies surrounding them. “They will teach you to control your power Rarity…”

The templars drew swords and shields as they advanced on the party. “This is the apostate…” Fleur said slowly

“NO!!” Rarity said drawing her staff in the space of a second. She stabbed it into the ground and boulders levitated out of the ground and hurled themselves at random templars. Rarity glared at the remaining templars her eyes taking on almost other worldly appearance “You will not harm another mage!”

Ebony ducked to avoid the first swipe of the templar blade. He blocked it with his own blade and yelled at Pinkie “Get to high ground and take out the commander!”

Pinkie nodded and climbed like a monkey on the statues. She sat on top of Celestia’s wing and loaded her crossbow. She put the crosshair to her eye and found the pony barking orders at the templars. “Blinky says hello!” She fired her crossbow and it hit the templar in the head.

Ebony smiled and stabbed the templar he was fighting in the side. Meanwhile Twilight was hurling fireballs at Templar archers that tried to shoot down Pinkie. Pinkie dived behind Celestia’s neck to avoid getting hit by the arrows that did fire.

Ebony found himself back to back with Rarity “Got any spells to even the odds?”

“Yes darling, give me one of your blades!” Ebony held out one of his blades and Rarity ran her staff over them.

The blade glowed with strange arcane symbols and it felt lighter than ever. Ebony looked to a pair of templars as they charged blades raised. Ebony charged at the pair and his blades moved like lightning and hit both of them on the legs.

The templars fell like rocks and Ebony flipped and thrusted his blades into their backs. Ebony looked at his blades; they were so light, so much sharper than they normally were. Rarity must’ve enhanced them with some form of magic.

All that was left was a couple of stragglers which Pinkie managed to snipe. Rarity came to the last templar. Her blue eyes showed nothing but contempt as she raised her staff. A large shard of a diamond appeared and she hurled it like a spear at the Templar. The templar let out a last grunt as the makeshift spear went into him. He fell dead with Rarity standing over him.

Ebony looked over at Fleur and saw that the unicorn blinked. She shook her head and looked at Rarity “Rarity?! What did you do!?”

Twilight looked on in amazement “She’s not tranquil anymore!? How is that possible!?”

"Does it matter?!" Rarity went to Fleur and spoke frantically “Fleur! My sister! Where is she?!”

Fleur’s eyes closed apologetically “I’m sorry Rarity…I couldn’t find her…”

“No…” Rarity collapsed on the floor and started sobbing “I was so close…”

Fleur looked at Rarity with equal franticness “Rarity! I feel the tranquility calling me back! Kill me before I go back! I don’t want to become lifeless again!”

Pinkie slid down the statue and looked over at Twilight worried “Can’t we cure her?”

Twilight shook her head “You don’t cure a beheading by sticking it back on and hoping it works…she’ll be like this the rest of her life…”

Ebony looked at the tranquil mage. This was a fate worse than death…Ebony drew his blade and walked to the mage. Before the tranquility could take Fleur back he thrusted his blade into her heart. She coughed blood and her violet eyes looked at Ebony. She smiled “Thank you...”

Rarity looked at Ebony as he laid the unicorn down and closed her eyes. Fleur gave up her last moments of life truly free…

Ebony looked over at Rarity whose eyes were filled with tears. She wiped them “Let’s just leave…”

Ebony nodded and walked out with his friends. Rarity was shaken by the loss of her friend but knew she would be at peace now. Fleur died smiling…

____________________________________________________

“I’m sorry you had to witness that…” Rarity said when they got back to the clinic “Had I known it would be an ambush…”

Ebony shook his head “No Rarity, you have nothing to be sorry for. The templars made Fleur tranquil not you”

Rarity smiled a little “Thank you for giving her peace…I would not want her to live the rest of her life not being able to dream”

Twilight smiled at Rarity “Will you help us now?”

Rarity smiled and nodded “I do owe you for putting Fleur to rest” She bowed politely before Ebony “My magic is at your disposal Sir Blade”

Ebony rubbed the back of his head in embarrassment. He wasn’t used to a mare as lovely as Rarity addressing him like a hero. He simply smiled “We’d really appreciate having another staff working with us”

Rarity went to her feet and ran her tail along Ebony’s side. “My maps are yours as well as my staff…and other things should you wish…” She walked out leaving behind a blushing Ebony and a glaring Twilight. Pinkie was simply hopping along beside Rarity chatting about just how cool her magic was.

Rarity smiled…it’s been a while since she had friends…