• Published 8th Dec 2019
  • 4,440 Views, 144 Comments

Wild Magic - Detsella Morningdew



The Castle of the Two Sisters has a long history, dating back to Equestria's early beginnings. As such, many artifacts still rest in its many hallways. Relics, ancient books... and old experiments.

  • ...
5
 144
 4,440

Chapter 9: Fire

"What are you doing? This is a library!"

"What?" It came out muffled, as I had to talk around the rather large fish.

The book that Twilight was reading flew back to the shelf without her even looking at it. "'What?' That thing smells–" She cut herself off. "Okay, not as bad as it usually does, but still! There are books around here! Not everypony is a pegasus. Or uh, a fox."

She put a hoof to her head. "Sorry, I'm used to giving this lecture to Rainbow Dash."

I stepped back, closer to the exit, then tossed it through the open door. "Oh. Sorry about that. I was just going to see if I could use your kitchen. I can eat it outside or something, but I always feel better eating things cooked."

Twilight's ears drooped. "Oh. I forgot you don't actually have a place of your own."

"Don't worry about it. I was just going to check out the woods that Fluttershy recommended to me. White Tail Woods?"

"Wouldn't you want to find a place here in Ponyville? I uh... I thought you had already found a few friends. I thought we..."

My heart skipped a beat. "Wait, Twilight. That's not what I meant. I'm not trying to... cut off ties or anything. But White Tail Woods can't be that far away, can it?"

"But Light, if you're willing to go back to living in the wilderness just to–"

I dragged a paw across my snout. "No. I just can't stand having a debt over my head. And certainly not increasing the one I already have."

She opened her mouth to argue, but I cut her off. "I don't care whether you consider there to be one or not. I'm not saying that I hate gifts, but it's nauseating to always be helped, and yet have nothing I can do in return. Last night, I found a glimmer of hope that I can do something for everyone, but it's just that. A glimmer. I need to learn more, and I can't start by taking more from you, or anyone in Ponyville."

Twilight's mouth hardened, and I could tell that she still wanted to argue, but she let out the breath she was holding a few moments later. "All right. Just promise me that you'll come back, okay? I'm sure it's not just me that wants to be your friend."

"I promise."

I walked back out the door, picking up the fish on my way and shutting it with my tail.

I knew, of course, that I was right in my decision. But something about her expression just made me feel wrong. Staying, though, would only feel worse.

It would only be a short time, I told myself. And I have to come back anyway. I don't want to miss something happening with the portal.

I took a deep breath. I needed to figure out more about my new magic, anyway. And I didn't think fire magic would be a good idea to practice in a wooden house. Or really, anywhere near Ponyville.

Luna said it was an illusion, but she also said it burned things for real.

And that's if I even figure out what I'm supposed to do to begin with.

As soon as I got back to the river, I started to brainstorm.

And gnaw on the fish a bit. It tasted good.

According to Twilight, beginner's magic was instinctual. Luna said that it was fire. Or at least it was so common that it was a solid bet.

I also had a fairly good idea of where my magic was. Celestia flat out looked at my ball when she said that I stored it somewhere else.

Even with it tucked away in a pocket, it was still in the back of my mind, and without even looking, I knew exactly where it was, and I could already feel the warm power it seemed to hold.

The problem was that I had no idea about anything except the vague concept of fire. I didn't know if it was the "set things on fire with your mind" kind, or the D&D-style fireball kind. Luna said it only hurt who you wanted it to, which was a reassuring thought, but she didn't say anything about things that might be caught on fire.

I knew where my power was, but if I didn't know where to focus it, it was useless.

Still, Twilight said it should be instinctual, just like my weirdly clear dreams were.

Combat spells probably went off of a fear instinct. So maybe if I saw a timberwolf or something, that would help.

Okay, maybe not a real one. I didn't want to risk there being another pack that didn't agree to the two day truce thing. Or set one on fire if they did agree.

Maybe anger would work. That was a common thing to represent fire.

I picked a rock next to the river and decided it would be the object of my ire. It was quite obviously ugly. Too smooth to be a proper tool, yet completely awful for skipping. Just utterly useless.

It failed to burst into flame.

Perhaps I wasn't trying hard enough. This rock obviously was the entire reason I stayed too long and got stuck on the wrong side of the mirror. This was the reason I didn't have enough food. Why I got stuck as a fox, and the reason the portal was faulty.

"Hey, Light?"

"Rainbow?"

"I'm sure that rock is super important, but your tail is kinda on fire."

I whipped around. Sure enough, it was. Well, not really. There was a fire there, but it was hovering in a vaguely ball-like shape about a centimeter above the tip.

And apparently, my tail curves upward when I'm tense.

Oh, and the fire is white for some reason. I thought making an illusion of fire would look a bit more like normal fire, but apparently not.

"Oh, right." Sure enough, I could feel the power going through my tail. Not exactly what I was expecting, but sure.

I flicked my tail at the rock, and sure enough, the ball flew to strike it.

And the rock was now on fire. That weird, white fire. Fox-fire, Luna had called it. Maybe the weird color was the reason for the new name to be even necessary.

Oh, and the fact that a rock caught on fire.

It wasn't like the fire was being burned as fuel or anything. Though I was getting slowly but steadily more tired. That was a problem.

I cut off the flow of power, and the fire went out.

"Okay, that's officially awesome."

"Thanks." I smiled. "And thanks for, you know, telling me about it. I had no idea it would come from my tail."

"Don't mention it." She giggled. "Though I suspect you won't want to mention it to anypony, anyway."

I scratched the back of my head. "Yeah, this is my first time trying magic, but still."

Rainbow laughed again. "I think everypony has one of those stories. At least you hit the rock. Twilight's brother - you know, the other Shining - let me watch some of his training sessions with the other Guards. I swear, lotsa those guys couldn't hit the broad side of a cumulonimbus."

I nodded. "Ah, yeah. But it probably helps that this fire stuff is supposed to be instinct for me."

"Not every pegasus starts flying instantly."

"I also had Twilight giving me advice."

"Eh, I suppose you have a point. She's awful at flying, though."

I looked at the hovering Rainbow Dash critically. "I thought you had weather stuff to do or something."

She shrugged. "Finished it already. I just had to get it in before my nap. So... what are you doing? Other than getting angry at rocks, that is." She gestured down. "I see you already ate."

"Thanks for that, by the way. Well, I was planning on finding White Tail Woods. Find a place to stay, that sort of thing. I don't like mooching off people all the time."

"Ah, I get you. Still, White Tail is a fairly long walk. I mean, it's great for camping and stuff, but... yeah." She put a hoof to her chin. "Do foxes make dens or something?"

I shrugged awkwardly. "I mean, I woke up underneath Twilight's spare bed, so digging and small spaces probably has something to do with it, but I honestly have no idea."

"Okay, so I have an idea. So, uh, my house is made from clouds. And uh, clouds aren't free, per se, but they're pretty darn inexpensive."

"I can't live on clouds."

She groaned. "I know that, dude. I have a point, I'm just using this as... what do you call it?"

"A metaphor."

"Yeah, that. Well, for my cloud house, I don't actually have to pay for the land, as long as I keep it floating away from the town. On, like, land nopony owns. I actually think nopony is allowed to own stuff so close to the town. But as long as you don't, like, mess up nature or something, you can live there."

"Like Fluttershy's place?"

She grinned. "Yeah! Exactly like that. They just don't want you to build huge stuff that makes the animals move away. And since you kinda are one, I don't think you'll have problems."

"So, uh... where are the city limits, then? I don't really want to live this close to the forest with wolves that want to kill me."

She shrugged. "I dunno. They have all sorts of maps and stuff in Town Hall. I only pay attention to the bits that I have to keep my house from drifting onto."

"Thanks!" I looked back down the river. "I'm still probably going to check out the woods, though. I want to see if I can find anything edible in there. Fish is great, but just fish and muffins is going to get pretty boring."

She looked at me oddly. "Uh... the market's every day at noon."

"And I have no bits."

She put a hoof to her face. "Ahhh, right. Well, there's always somepony with an odd job to do. Like, the Apples always could use extra help on their farm. But yeah, I can see where you're coming from. How did you survive in the Everfree?"

Right, she talked with Fluttershy.

"I only recently became aware that other creatures were sapient."

"Sapi-what?"

"Could think and stuff. Unlike fish."

She winced. "Ah. I mean, you gotta do what you gotta do. But, uh, just to let you know, not every animal is like that. I've heard from my... uh... well, my old griffon friend that only Equestria makes animals intelligent and stuff. Something with magic, or harmony or something. I dunno about all that egghead stuff."

"Well, at least I can eat fish without feeling too guilty."

Rainbow chuckled. "You can say that again. I just get way tired when I don't. I can't understand how other pegasi can manage without it."

Huh. Interesting.

"Well, see you later. Good luck with the food, and that fire stuff. Once you get something impressive, I want to see it, you hear? If it's good enough, I'll totally do a Sonic Rainboom for you."

I had no idea what that was, but I brushed it off anyway and waved. "Thanks. See you later!"

She zipped off.

I looked at the remains of my fish, which was mostly eaten, but still had a bit of good stuff attached to it. I looked at my tail, which was no longer was flaming, but still had the potential.

I wonder...