• Published 9th Aug 2012
  • 5,536 Views, 25 Comments

A Surprising Changeling - Pen Writer pony



The changeling princess finds herself stranded in Ponyville disguised as Pinkie's imaginary friend.

  • ...
1
 25
 5,536

Chapter 1

A small changeling rubbed her forehead and moaned. There was pain all over her body, coming in waves. It felt like she was being continually smacked with a frying pan. It seemed like the pain mostly came from her back and her right eye. There was also something jabbing her side; it felt cold, like metal.

She slowly opened one eye and rolled over, hoping movement would stop the pain. Later, she would wonder how that made sense at all. I guess nopony really thinks things through when all they can feel is pain and confusion. she would think.

And that was all she could feel. She was confused; where was she? What had happened? Where was the all pain coming from?

She soon found the source of one of the many pains. Her helmet had fallen off and was pressed in between her and a wall of some sort. Groaning with the pain of movement, she grabbed the helmet in her hooves and pushed it away. She vaguely wondered where the rest of her armor had gone, but right now all she cared about was figuring out where she was and how to get out.

Think, Crystal, think! She thought, What is the last thing you remember? She gave herself a moment to think back, and remembered the invasion. The Canterlot Invasion! Did it fail? Please, tell me it didn't fail! Not after all the planning!

Calm down. She reminded herself. Just try to remember. Well, I remember watching over the invasion, flying above and enjoying the chaos... Who am I kidding? I never enjoyed chaos. I never enjoyed any of mom's plans.

“Hello?” somepony called.

Oh no! the changeling thought. It sounds like a pony! She tried to shape-shift, she really did, but it didn't come. She picked herself up, standing on wobbly hooves, and tried to walk to the nearest hiding spot. The pain was so intense she nearly fell over, but she kept going. Looking through only one eye, she spotted a pretty bush nearby. It had little white flowers growing on it and appeared to be part of a garden, but she didn't care. Shelter was shelter.

Trying her best to make her way over to the bush, she tried to remember what had happened. Okay, I was watching the invasion... then Commander said mom wanted me to be beside her... She wanted me to be safe. She always wanted me to safe. I was flying back to Canterlot Castle when I saw a bubble of some sort. I tried to fly into it and make sure mom and the others were okay... that's all I can remember.

The changeling pulled a branch in front of her face, almost completely obscuring her from anypony's line of vision. Peeking out, she saw a purple unicorn mare standing in front of what appeared to be the crater the changeling had landed in. Or, more likely, created when she had landed.

The purple pony had a box-cut purple mane with pink streaks in it, a six-pointed star for a cutie mark, and purple eyes. She gazed into the crater, curiosity in her eyes. Then she spotted something. It was pale blue armor, about the size for a filly to wear. “What is this?” the unicorn wondered out loud for a moment, then her eyes got wide and she picked up the changeling's helmet with her magic.

Staring at the floating armor in front of her, the unicorn gasped and immediately ran off , not forgetting to pick up the rest of the changeling's armor before leaving.

That's just great. The changeling thought. Now I have no armor, shape-shifting, and I am in no fit for a fight. What do I do now?

She gazed through the branches of her bush, barely noticing how uncomfortable it was, and watched the clouds travel across the blue sky. The sun was high up in the sky, meaning it was about noon. Maybe she should just wait until night to do anything?

What can I do? she asked herself, I'm hurt and I'm lost. All I could possibly do is wander around until somepony catches me. If the invasion did fail... I wouldn't be too welcome in any pony town.

Suddenly, she heard humming. Looking up, she saw a pink earth pony mare trot over to the flowerbed. She had a water can in her mouth and was humming cheerfully as she watered the plants. She had a lily in her hair, a blonde mane, and light yellow-ish eyes.

The changeling almost groaned as the mare slowly moved closer to the bush she was hiding in. The pony slowly made it down the line of differently colored lilies before watering the bush the changeling was in. Somehow oblivious, the pony didn't even see the changeling.

Soaked, the changeling sighed and laid her head on her front hooves. The great princess of the changelings had just been watered like a plant. Not that her rank had ever given her happiness.

Suddenly, she felt a little power. It was love, but coming from where? Lifting her head to peek through the branches, she saw the pink earth pony gazing at her garden happily. Love was radiating from her. It wasn't as strong as another pony's love for a pony, but it was enough.

This is odd. The changeling observed. Normally, changelings get love by pretending to be ponies. Not bushes. Still, she wasn't about to toss away power when she was so weak. She absorbed the love and instantly felt stronger.

She waited, building up magic as the pink pony left. When she was sure the coast was clear, the changeling hopped out of the bush and quickly shape-shifted. Imagining a new form, she quickly changed into a pegasus mare.

Opening her eyes, she instantly felt sharp stab of pain and closed them again. This time she opened only her left one, and felt better. She tried to walk. She had to be able to walk, if only to walk to a safer place. But she almost fell over again. I can't walk. she thought, starting to panic. Can I fly?

However, she never really had much hope for flying. After all, judging by the pain in her back and sides, her wings were broken.

What am I going to do? she thought, starting to shake with fear. The gravity of the situation was starting to crumble down upon her. I can't move without falling over and I'm surrounded by ponies!

Then her shaking made her fall over and she lay on the ground, breathing hard. She started to lose consciousness, and the last thing she saw before slowly fading into blackness was a yellow pegasus mare down the road.

----

The changeling slowly blinked open her left eye. Something was restricting her right eye from opening, however. She observed her surroundings, trying to keep her head. She appeared to be in a white room. To her left was a big white curtain and to her right was a window that overlooked beautiful hills. All around she could hear rhythmic beeping and chatter from ponies not too far away.

Her right eye started to itch, and she lifted a hoof to try and scratch it. However, she felt a soft, cotton-like material on her face, obscuring her eye. It was bandages. Running a hoof down her back, she felt bandages on her wings as well.

Sighing and trying not to think about what trouble she could be in, the changeling tried to think about the swarm.

They were always nice to her and looked out for her, just like they would for any other changeling. But especially her, because she was the daughter of Queen Chrysalis herself and next-in-line for ruling the changelings. She was Princess Crystal, daughter of Queen Chrysalis and future ruler of Equestria. Or so they had all thought.

The invasion had failed, hadn't it? The changelings didn't have a food supply and would probably be reduced to weak bugs after a month or so without love. If they were all hurt as much as she was, they could die. Changelings used love as the center for all their magic. Without love, they had no magic. Without magic, they had no shape-shifting or healing.

They had assured her the invasion would go as planned. In fact, she had planned most of it with her mother. But maybe the other changelings were just trying to assure her, making lies to avoid her 'tantrums'.

They weren't exactly tantrums, they were more... panic attacks. She was very prone to panic, something the drones had never understood. They just followed orders, and had never had to worry about keeping secrets or doing anything by themselves. But the stress of helping her mother keep the swarm well-fed and strong weighed down on Crystal a lot, causing her to overreact and panic often.

And speaking of panic, she was doing all she could to stay calm now. She had no idea where she was or where her mother was. For all she knew, the ponies had caught her and were going to dissect her. Or maybe just kill her... or kill her and shoot her remains into space!

Calm down, Crystal! she told herself. Just keep your head and you'll be fine.

Suddenly, the clapping of hooves on a flooring brought Crystal out of her thoughts. A white earth pony mare with a pink mane worn in a bun walked in. She had a nurse's cap and a red cross for a cutie mark. She was followed into the room by a doctor who only stared at a screen. It had a picture of two pegasus wings on it with the bones of both snapped. It was probably Crystal's x-ray...

“Hello, miss.” the nurse greeted the changeling kindly. “Good to see you're awake.”

“Where am I?” Crystal asked. “What happened?”

“You're in the hospital.” the nurse explained. “We don't know what happened exactly, but a kind little pony told us you were hurt and we brought you right back here to be healed.”

“It look like both your wings are broken.” the doctor spoke up. “But those will heal in a few days. What I'm worried about is your eye. It's swollen and got a few cuts on it. If you could ever see through that eye again, it'll be blurry.”

Crystal sighed. She held her hooves in front of her, gazing at the pure white color of them. Sight was definitely a good thing, and with only half of it, it would only make her life much, much worse.

“You might want to thank Fluttershy.” the nurse said.

“Who?”

“She was the pony that helped you. If it wasn't for her, you'd be in trouble.” then the nurse and doctor trotted out the door. “See you later, miss. Just rest for now.”

Now Crystal was completely alone. Knowing that if she thought at all she would panic, she just rolled over and pulled the up over her head and tried to sleep. But sleep didn't come. Her situation was much too dire for sleep.

She lay there for what seemed like an hour, trying to do anything but think about where she was, until she heard a knock on the door. “Hello?” called a soft voice. “Can I come in?”

Who would be coming to see me? Crystal wondered. Nopony knows me, and I completely made up this form. “Sure, come in.” she called.

The door slowly opened and a yellow mare walked in. She partially hide her face behind her long, pink mane, but still spoke to Crystal. “Hello, miss. I-I just wanted to know if you're okay... if you don't mind, that is.”

Crystal smiled kindly at the pony. “You're Fluttershy, aren't you?”

The mare nodded.

“The nurse told me you were the one who helped me. Thank you so much. And yes, I am fine.”

“Oh, okay then.” Fluttershy whispered. “Your welcome.” she turned and trotted out the door, as if fleeing. Crystal didn't stop her; she was too lost in thought.

“Haven't I seen that pony before?” she wondered out loud.

“I don't know, have you?” a voice asked. It made Crystal jump; as far as she knew, no pony else was in the room.

The owner of the voice appeared as if from nowhere. It was a pink earth pony. She had a fluffy mane and tail, light blue eyes, and three balloons for a cutie mark.

“Who are you?” Crystal asked, “More importantly; how did you get in?”

The pink pony pointed accusingly at Crystal with a hoof. “I know who you are!” she stated.

Crystal gulped. “R-really?” she asked.

“Yes!” the pink pony reached behind her back and pulled out what looked like a weapon. Crystal covered her face with her hooves.

To be continued...