• Published 3rd May 2019
  • 894 Views, 18 Comments

Call of the Wild: A Power Rangers Story - TheHardie-Boy



When an ancient, evil artifact makes its way to Equestria, it’s up to the Wild Force Power Rangers to save it

  • ...
4
 18
 894

The shark grows up

‘Just a few more and I’m free-no, no, no, no, don’t wake up please,’ Max thought to himself. He was currently trying to sneak off the Animarium so he could have a look around Equestria. He had wanted to see the world he was currently living in ever since he arrived.

Max slowly stepped over Alyssa’s sleeping bag and nearly tripped over Danny in the process. Not that Danny would get mad at Max, but if he woke up, so would everyone else.

Max did a little jump over Cole and snuck past Merik. He passed a few of the sleeping Wild Zords before coming to the drop off. Finally, Max was gonna get the chance to look around.

Max jumped down and landed near the edge of what the ponies called the Everfree Forest. He looked behind him and saw a cottage. He jumped when the door opened, but he was relieved to see the butterscotch pegasus from before.

“Oh, hello, Max. What brings you to my cottage, especially at this hour,” asked Fluttershy.

“Oh nothing. I was just hoping to get a good look around while I’m here...Fluttershy was it?” Max responded.

“That’s me. Would you like to come in and have something to eat?” Fluttershy offered.

“Sounds good,” Max answered.

Max stepped into Fluttershy’s cottage and admired its nature-like design. The two sat down and shared a few small sandwiches, talking about Earth and Equestria.

“So, this ‘Master Org’ was really just a human?” Fluttershy asked.

“From what Cole told me. Apparently he was an old friend of Cole’s parents until he became jealous of their success,” Max explained.

“So what happened next?”

“Cole summoned all of his strength and kicked Master Org’s butt. Dr. Adler tried to get Cole to finish him off, but Cole wouldn’t go down that path.”

“Hm. I feel like Twilight would love to hear this story more than anypony. Should I go get her?”

“If you want. Is she even still awake?”

Fluttershy thought, ‘On the one hoof, Twilight loves learning about rangers’ pasts. On the other hoof, she needs her sleep.’

“I guess it can wait until morning of it has to,” said Max.

“Alright then. More cocoa?” Fluttershy offered.

“Oh yes please. This stuff is really good,” Max replied.

Fluttershy walked into the kitchen and opened her cupboard. She looked behind everything, but she just couldn’t find any more cocoa.

“I’m afraid I’m out. I’m pretty sure Pinkie’s still up though. If you like, we could go see if we could get some from her.”

Max stood up, clearly excited. “That’d be great. I could also get to see more of Ponyville.”

Fluttershy giggled at Max’s excitement. “Alright then, let’s go.”

The two of them made their way to Ponyville, and Max marveled at the sheer quaintness of the town. He never before got a chance to really take it all in because he was always too busy protecting it. It was a lot different from Turtle Cove. There were more lanterns, smaller houses, and not a car to be seen anywhere. There were many similarities as well, such as a bakery and a boutique.

“It’s so peaceful. I really wish I could’ve done this sooner,” said Max.

“Why didn’t you?” asked Fluttershy.

Max groaned and answered, “The other rangers, especially Taylor, insist I can’t take care of myself on account of a few incidents from Earth. But they’re just being paranoid.”

“It sounds like they’re just looking out for you,” said Fluttershy.

“I know, and it’s sweet and all, but I’m not a little kid. I’ve grown up since I’ve become a ranger. I can handle a few responsibilities.”

Fluttershy was about to respond when there was a muffled grumbling sound moving toward them. They both took cover as the purple monster from before made its way toward Twilight’s castle.

“It’s Mandilock! He must think the Org Heart is in the castle. Either way, I gotta stop him,” said Max.

“Shouldn’t you get the others?” Fluttershy asked.

“There’s no time. You go up to the Animarium, I’ll hold off Mandilock,” Max instructed.

“If you insist,” said Fluttershy. With that, Fluttershy flew into the air, leaving Max by himself.

Max leapt over Mandilock, morphing in the process. He now stood to face him.

“So, the Blue Ranger thinks he’s enough to stop me from obtaining the ultimate form of power?” Mandilock taunted.

“You’ll never get the Org Heart, Mandilock!” Max shouted back.

With that, Mandilock drew his weapon and charged Max. Max drew his shark fins and blocked Mandilock’s strike, following up with a slash of his own. Max went in for another attack, only for Mandilock to blow some sort of mist out of his mouth, sending Max flying back. Mandilock struck again and landed a devastating hit on Max. Max landed at the front door of Carousel Boutique as Mandilock turned back toward the castle.

A light inside the boutique turned on, and the front door opened, revealing Rarity.

“Max, whatever are you doing at this hour?” Rarity asked in surprise.

“No time to explain. One of the generals is heading toward Twilight’s castle!” Max answered.

“We have to warn her!” Rarity shouted back.

With that, the two of them began to pursue Mandilock once again. Max got in Mandilock’s way as Rarity snuck around to the castle, and began pounding furiously on the door.

“Rarity? What’s going on?” asked a tired Twilight.

“You have to get out of here, now!” was all Rarity shouted back.

Max tried to push Mandilock back with his fins to no avail. Mandilock simply picked him up and tossed him aside. Max jumped back and landed a slash on Mandilock.

“You’re just determined to do the impossible, aren’t you?” Mandilock growled.

“If it means stopping you, anything,” Max responded.

“Fine then,” Mandilock said. Mandilock’s horn began to glow, and Max was enveloped in a dark purple aura. Mandilock used his magic to pound Max into the ground several times. Luckily, Twilight cut off Mandilock’s magic with her own as the other Wild Rangers came into battle, already morphed.

“I’ll just have to destroy you the old fashioned way,” said Mandilock. With that, Mandilock grew to his maximum size.

“Wild Zords, descend!” The rangers called upon their zords and formed the Predazord and the Congozord.

Mandilock charged at the Megazords and landed hits on both. The Congozord managed to catch the next attack and land a hit of its own. The Predazord jabbed with the alligator tail and slashed with the hammerhead fin. Mandilock blew the mist out of his mouth, pushing back both Megazords. The Predazord fired the hammerhead fin, which hit Mandilock several times before Mandilock smacked it away. The Congozord kicked the armadillo at Mandilock, causing Mandilock to hit the ground. The Congozord then fired its ice attack, but Mandilock countered and froze the Congozord. Mandilock then slashed the Congozord repeatedly, showing no mercy.

“We can’t take much more of this,” said Taylor.

“Let’s hope the Deer Zord is out of hibernation,” said Cole, holding up a green orb. He used it to summon a new zord from the Animarium. A green deer leapt down and gave a smooth roar before folding up and taking the black bear’s place on the Congozord.

Mandilock went to attack the Predazord, only to be stopped by a glowing substance that came from the deer. He was frozen in place as the Predazord used the alligator tail as a drill to attack Mandilock. Mandilock recovered and slashed the Predazord with his weapon. He then turned his attention to the Congozord. The two went at it until Mandilock managed to disconnect the polar bear from the Congozord, leaving it open on one side.

“We can’t beat Mandilock,” said Alyssa.

“Then what do we do?” asked Danny.

“We have to put him down with the Deer Zord,” said Taylor.

“She’s right. The Deer Spell will put him to sleep for a while until we can figure something out,” agreed Cole.

“Let’s do it then,” said Max.

The Congozord aimed the deer’s antlers at Mandilock, who readied his own attack. They both fired at the same time, but instead of connecting, they moved past each other. Mandilock was wrapped in an orange glow and laid down slowly and gently. The deer was hit with the attack and disconnected from the Congozord, hitting the ground in a bad position.

“Guys, I think the Deer Zord’s injured,” said Danny.

“That’s not good. We need to get it back up to the Animarium now,” said Taylor.

Cole called down his Lion Zord to help the injured Deer Zord back up to the Animarium with the rest of the zords. The rangers jumped down and demorphed.

“What happened?” asked a barely awake Starlight.

“Mandilock thought the Org Heart was in the castle and tried to retrieve it,” explained Twilight.

“But the Org Heart isn’t even in the castle I thought,” said Danny.

“It’s not, but Mandilock thought it was,” said Merik.

Taylor pulled Max aside. “What were you thinking?”

“What are you talking about?”

“Sneaking off the Animarium, fighting Mandilock on your own. You could’ve been seriously hurt, and now the deer’s injured,” Taylor scolded.

“Are you saying it’s my fault?” Max scoffed. “If it weren’t for me, Mandilock would’ve destroyed the castle.”

“And if it weren’t for Fluttershy, he would’ve destroyed you. You should’ve at least told us where you were going.”

“If I did, we’d be having the exact same conversation. You never trust me to do anything on my own.”

“Yeah, because you keep proving you can’t handle it. Like the time you got captured by the Bell Org, or the time you let Kite get captured by Jindrax. You have got to stop acting like a kid.”

“I’M. NOT. A KID!” Max yelled, getting everyone else’s attention. “It is impossible to talk to you because you just keep acting like I can’t take care of myself.” With that, Max stormed off.

“What was that about?” Twilight asked.

“Max snuck off the Animarium, and now the deer zord, one of our most important zords, is injured,” Taylor said.

“He’s right though. You’ve been treating him that way ever since you met him,” Cole countered.

“When I first met him, he was getting his butt kicked by an org,” Taylor countered.

“Hey, I was there too. You gotta cut him some slack. He wasn’t even a ranger yet,” said Alyssa.

“I’ll go talk to him,” said Fluttershy, flying off in the direction Max went.

“I’m just looking out for him. He’s like a little brother to me,” said Taylor.

“But he’s growing up. It’s great that you want to keep him safe, but you can’t protect him all his life. Trust me, I know,” said Applejack.

“But...but if he gets hurt, I’ll never be able to forgive myself,” said Taylor.

“Maybe you should tell that to Max,” said Twilight.

Meanwhile

Fluttershy finally caught up with Max, which wasn’t easy. He’d gotten surprisingly far for how long he was gone.

“Hey, uh, Max, wait up,” said Fluttershy, not trying to sound rude.

Max stopped and turned around. “Can you believe her? She’s treated me like that ever since we met.”

“Well, she is just trying to protect you,” responded Fluttershy.

“But I don’t need protecting.”

“I’m not saying you do, but she was just looking out for you.”

“Okay, that’s fine, but she didn’t have to scold me right there in front of everyone.”

“Granted, she may have gone a little overboard, but don’t we all? Even I once got too assertive with my friends.”

Max paused. “Wait, what? How does that work?”

“I took some assertiveness classes, and I ended up taking them too far. I hurt a lot of ponies’ feelings with how I was acting.”

Max chuckled. “Talk about irony. Still though, Taylor can’t just treat me like a kid whenever she wants to.”

“Taylor was just scared of what could’ve happened. You would be too, if the roles were reversed.”

Max took a deep breath and rolled his eyes. “Either way, I’m not a kid, and she can’t keep treating me like one.”

“I’m sorry, but I just didn’t want you to get hurt,” said Taylor, walking up to the two of them.

“What do you want?” Max said sarcastically.

“I just wanna talk. Fluttershy, can you give us a minute.”

“Of course,” said Fluttershy before flying away.

“If you’re here to scold me again, I don’t wanna hear it,” Max scoffed.

“I’m here to apologize,” Taylor retorted, getting Max’s full attention.

“I know I can’t keep treating you like a kid, but I just can’t help myself. I’ve always thought of you like a little brother. I just know I wouldn’t be able to live with myself if something happened to you.”

Max rolled his eyes. “Look, if you want to protect me, fine. But I don’t always need protection. I admit I should’ve told you Mandilock was here, and I’m sorry I didn’t. But you can’t always just assume the worst of me.”

“I know, and I promise to mind my own business from now on unless you want my help,” said Taylor, holding out her fist. “Forgive me?”

Max rolled his eyes again. “Fine,” he said, fist-bumping Taylor.

Taylor held her arms out and slowly approached Max.

“Woah, what are you doing?” Max said, giggling.

“Come on, give your big sis a hug,” Taylor joked.

“No way,” Max replied sarcastically.

“Come on,” Taylor begged.

Max groaned. “Fine,” he said, embracing Taylor.

The two of them broke the hug as the ground of Ponyville began to shake again. Mandilock rose from the ground, breaking free of the deer trap.

“Your Deer Zord can’t hold me down,” Mandilock boasted.

Taylor held up a white orb. “The polar bear’s still injured.”

Max held up a green orb. “So is the deer.”

“We’re gonna have to use the Wild Force Megazord,” said Taylor.

Max nodded in agreement, and they went to join their friends.

“Mandilock broke free extremely quick. We’re gonna have to beat him fast,” said Cole.

“Wild Zords, descend!” The rangers called upon their original five zords, and the Wild Force Megazord was formed.

Mandilock attacked with his weapon, pushing the rangers back. He pushed them further back with the mist, and the rangers had trouble recovering. Mandilock kept up his attack, but the Predazord got in the way. The two went at it until the Megazord got back on its feet. Mandilock used his magic to lift both Megazords into the air and slammed them onto the ground, causing the zords to break apart.

“That was easy!” boasted Mandilock. He swung his weapon around and down at Ponyville, but luckily, the sun rose and blinded Mandilock.

“We have to form the Horus Megazord,” said Alyssa.

“We can’t. The Deer Zord’s still injured,” said Danny.

“Wait a second, I have an idea,” said Max.

“Shoot,” said Cole.

“I’ll distract Mandilock with the Giraffe Zord, and you guys form the Congozord.”

“Are you crazy? He’ll pound you!” Taylor responded.

“I know you want to protect me, but you have to trust me. This’ll work.”

Taylor thought for a moment. “Alright, go for it.”

“Alright. Giraffe Zord, descend!”

From atop the Animarium, an orange giraffe jumped down to the ground. It was about the same size as Mandilock. Max jumped into its cockpit and charged at Mandilock. Mandilock swung his weapon, but the giraffe swung its head, knocking it to the side. The giraffe then stood on its hind legs and pushed Mandilock with as much force as it could.

“Wild Zords, descend!” The rangers called upon their zords to form the Congozord while Mandilock was distracted with Max. Once he saw it, he knocked the giraffe onto its side and was met with the teeth of the polar bear. The Congozord then kicked Mandilock to the ground.

“Guys, launch the armadillo at me,” said Max as the giraffe crouched down.

“I see where you’re going with this,” said Taylor.

Mandilock got back up. “Enough games. It’s time to finish you!”

Mandilock charged once again as the Congozord kicked the armadillo toward the giraffe. The armadillo went up the giraffe’s back and the giraffe raised its neck. The armadillo launched into the air and hit Mandilock, sending him flying back.

“Let’s combine,” said Max.

“Good idea,” said Cole.

The giraffe folded up its legs, and a helmet covered its head. It took the black bear’s place on the Congozord. Mandilock grabbed his weapon and swung it at the Congozord. The rangers used the giraffe to block the attack and deliver one of their own. The giraffe had a much longer reach, giving the rangers an advantage. The Congozord aimed the giraffe head at Mandilock. The head fired out and caught fire before it struck Mandilock, finishing him off.

Later

“Two down, one general to go,” said Cole, raising his glass.

“Once Nayzor comes out, he won’t stand a chance,” said Max.

They were all currently at a party, thrown by Pinkie. The rangers were a bit unsure of having a party, but Pinkie wouldn’t take no for an answer.

“It’s weird. Last time we had a much harder time to defeat the generals. Now, they’re just dropping like flies,” said Taylor.

“We can’t let our guard down now,” said Alyssa.

“That’s right. Nayzor was always the strongest of the generals. I wouldn’t be surprised if he had a surprise up his sleeve,” agreed Merik.

“Either way, we’ll deal with him when the time comes,” said Rainbow.

“She’s right. Now’s the time to celebrate,” agreed Twilight.

The rangers and ponies went on to enjoy the party Pinkie had planned for them, complete with cake, games, and pranks.

Later

Twilight yawned as she approached her bed. She was exhausted from the party.

She got into her bed and pulled the covers over herself, closing her eyes as well. She thought and realized that out of the three teams to have been to Equestria, the Wild Rangers had the shortest stay. It was a bit of a shame, since they all seemed really nice. But she did enjoy the chance to get to know them. She also thought it was nice to meet a princess from Earth.

It was a few minutes before she began to drift off into a deep sleep. She began to dream about being back on Earth as a human with someone she didn’t recognize, when she was dragged back into the real world by a hand covering her horn.

She shot her eyes open to see a two-legged creature with black armor, one eye, and a single horn. He used his other hand to cover her muzzle before she had chance to call for help. She tried screaming through his hand, but a simple whimper of fear was all that came out.

“I wouldn’t try anything, princess, lest you want me to use this,” he said, motioning to the sword on his back.

A tear ran down Twilight’s face as she realized there was currently no way out of this. She stopped making noises and slowly nodded her head.

“Good girl,” said the creature. With that, he picked up the blanket and waved it around them. They transported to another location, which was dark and cold.

The creature let go of Twilight, but the second he did, she felt her wings being tied to her sides and her hooves being held in place. She also saw a small bind form around her muzzle. She tried to move, but couldn’t.

The green creature she recognized as Nayzor walked up to her.

“Hello there, princess,” Nayzor said, running a claw up and down her back, making Twilight even more afraid. “You’re going to be of great use to me.”

Author's Note:

Hey guys,
Another chapter, what do you know. If you’ve seen Wild Force, you can probably guess who that was that kidnapped Twilight. Either way, it’ll be explained in the next chapter. Speaking of which, this story is coming to a close. Two more chapters to go. Leave a comment telling me what you thought of the story and the chapter.

Until next time,
Donnnnnnn