• Published 9th Aug 2012
  • 845 Views, 23 Comments

Wonder-Colt 3: The Dragon's Trap. - Will of Haphinea



A Royal Guard finds himself in the Monster World to rescue the Main Six, and defeat the dragons!

  • ...
 23
 845

The Phoenix is Alright

With determination not felt since the beginnings of his curse, Wonder soared over the East village wall, and found a blocked-in door. Using his Buster weapon, he smashed through and another swine offered the Phoenix nothing more than a key. "This key, my fiery friend, is to the castle you destroyed! *Snort Oink* Inside is a weapon you'll need to strike down the Magic Dragon, and free yourself of the curse. That'll be 1,000 bits."

Being unable to form words in this form, Wonder merely squawked a gave the last set of bits he had on hand to the greedy merchant. Another time, he would just take it, but the tip he gave him, the weapon he mentioned. Well, the information was far worth the price of the key itself. He exited and flew up above the building when he was tackle by a very angry Pegasus.

"What's the big idea of you just flying away after dropping off Rarity, you feather brain!" Rainbow Dash yelled, slightly mad, but also with a voice of concern something was worrying the Royal Guard. Wonder, for his part only responded with a few caws.

Silhouette flew down next to Dash soon after, and merely looked angered at him. She could tell that Wonder couldn't speak, but without changing forma, there was no way else to communicate. However, an idea popped up in her head, and she pulled a loose feather from the fire bird, and had him write something on the nearby sandy area to 'speak' to them. "All I want to know is, what is your rush getting to the next dragon? You could have at least given us a little information!" she said.

Wonder bent down and hastily scribbled a short response, that both Pegasi were shocked to see: "World-eating Dragon rising. Need Legendary Sword and Armor!" He looked at both mares, and flew down a nearby pit, and sat on a ledge. It was true, the dragon was powerful, and if the Samurai one was to be believed, it was a hungry one, and he knew despite the forces they had in Canterlot and other places in Equestria, many ponies would die if he didn't strike this threat down now. But, at the same time he needed help to get ready.

He flew back out of the pit, and pecked the Lunar Mare and motioned her, and Rainbow Dash to follow, they all went down the pit, and inside, was a single unlocked chest. They gathered around the chest, and once it once, the last Power heart was freed, and exposed all present in its power. Wonder now had the original eight he had started with, and the mares with him had at least one extra. This would have to be, as he knew of no way to take this power away, once one was exposed to it. They made their ways out, and soon were in front of the crumbled remains of the castle. The castle where all this started.

Before entering, he wrote a few strategies down, that Silhouette understood, and relayed what they meant to Dash. He didn't wish to put an Element in danger, but he knew better than to turn down help from a loyal mare, who would follow without his permission anyway. The strategy would keep her in the back of the group, and expose her to as little danger as possible, and, provide her with the reality of what they were facing.


Crawling through the entry way, most of the halls were crushed down, thanks to the damage the Meka Dragon caused when it was destroyed. Once they got to the lower floors, the rooms were normal, albeit showing some damage, and made the group run through to get out as fast as they got the weapon. A blue Cyclops was patrolling ahead of them, and it was at this time he noticed that Dash did not have a weapon. He gave her a Crystal sword he found sometime back that wasn't too strong, but staggered most enemies well enough to land critical finishers. Still, it was only for an emergency if she needed it.

Wonder flew quietly overhead, and using his weapon plunged down on the monster, silencing it quickly and leading the mares ahead. Despite reassurances, Dash's face was quite blanched seeing the blood from the monster's wound and so she look away before following close to and holding Silhouette tightly. "It's ok girl. We all get this way when we see real combat...just keep close, ok?" she tried her best to calm her down. Wonder shook his head, he wanted to share more but the structure wouldn't allow for them to be idle for too much longer.

Suddenly, a trap door opened below their legs, and they fell down a shaft leading to a floor below, and then, on all sides, four blue Cyclops licked their drooling chops, waiting to attack and eat the ponies, and their giant bird escort. Silhouette looked to Wonder he tilted his head, indicating move set four, from what they discussed earlier, and both soldiers struck out, and slashed the two closest monsters, and the Luna Guard was on her way to deal with a third. Rainbow Dash was left with a Cyclops right next to her, grabbing her, before she blindly slashed, and thrust the sword quickly into the evil creature. She had all she could take, and held back tears, but Wonder held her close, and flew down a nearby pit and was soon joined by Silhouette there.

"I'll stay with her, the room shouldn't be too far from here. Get that sword!" the Night Pegasus barked out. The Phoenix flew past two bat monsters, and was down that familiar hall of mechanical walls, he was closer to the room where he got his curse. He opened the door, and inside, the sword he lost when he was transformed into a dragon stood there! He grabbed the weapon, and the power within filled him. It was so familiar, and something he missed. Another chest was nearby, full of medical supplies, and over five-thousand bits!

He exited, and regrouped with the two mares. Rainbow seemed to have pulled herself together, or at least it seemed that way. He did snag the sword from her, and gave her, instead, the Muramasa he had been using. It was heavier, but much more efficient than the Crystal. His Legendary Sword was in his wing shined brightly, and lead their way to a tunnel that had less enemies and were dealt with quickly. One dropped something very important as well: The Legendary Shield! Two pieces down, one to go.

The tunnel lead to a path to a set of old stairs, and to a pathway outside on the courtyard outside the castle itself again. The structure itself collapsed once more and their previous path was blocked. There would be no more return trips, but with the weapon and shield in hand, there wasn't much point anyway. a swine passe by them, and offered his one ware for sale, an armor set he needed to complete the set. It cost the whole 5,000 bits, but it was worth it, although at this point he was sure the swine knew about the money down in the castle and held the armor hostage. They proceeded back into the village, as there was one more thing to finish...


An hour or so later, Wonder came back from the transformation room as a Manticore again, and patched himself up before asking everypony present to hear out his speech. After this, he needed to be a Phoenix again, and he really didn't feel like writing out what he had to share them now. He breathed in, and started on the speech.

"An Old, magic-based Dragon sleeps in a hidden castle above, locked away by a magic block, and only one of us can enter. As I am the one cursed, and from what I have gathered from the swine, it must be me. I wanted to let you know, that, I may not make it back from this particular mission, as the Dragon itself is heard to be one nasty customer. That said, I shall defeat it, and your friend, the Element of Magic, will be returned to you, and once they are defeated, this village will cease to exist in this reality."

He paused, as the girls had some obvious questions. Well, all except Pinkie, who told him about this before he ever knew. Still, he pressed on. "I..know it is hard to understand, but this place, and its magic, are indeed strange. Rest assured, it is nearly over. To all of you, and my dear friends, Silhouette, and Zed..." He looked down, and tears rolled down. "I thank you for this opportunity to know the Elements. This Earth Pony was proud to know you all!" He stopped, turned to Applejack, and handed her five scrolls, and two to Silhouette. He left, and muttered a single goodbye under his breath.

When the mares had passed around the appropriate scrolls to one another, he exited the tower as the Phoenix, and flew up to a door in the sky. The girls, despite wondering what was going on, open their scrolls, and read the words written:

Fluttershy was given a message thanking her for being a nice Pegasus, to an Earth Pony who never liked them before.

Applejack was given an invite to talk to a certain Royal Guard to get her apples sold to feed the Guards of Celestia.

Rainbow Dash was given many encouraging words regarding the castle incident, and other nice phrases thanking her for standing up for him. There was also a name, somepony to ask for if she ever need tips to become a Wonderbolt.

Pinkie Pie was given thanks, and a place that Wonder had spoken of when they had talked before.

Rarity was given a location to a place called Hope's Asylum. There, she was to ask for the Great Kellie, who would give her two treasures of the Sea Ponies. One for her, and one for her fellow Unicorn, Twilight.

Both Silhouette and Zed had the same message: Make it legal already! A golden hoofring was also included in the second message to Zed, but he hide that without Silhouette seeing.

They all waited, and made silent wished that all would go well for the cursed pony's mission. So much was riding on what was going on in that sky path, and all they could do was simply wait for the plans to finish as they would. Rarity looked around at her friends, and said what everypony was thinking. "I do hope the poor darling will be ok..."


The Phoenix flew down a path, and found an eeire looking purple castle that laid before him. He heard both screaming, and roars from the inside, and held his breathe in anticipation of what had to be done. Despite getting the Legendary Armor set, He word his Tartarus set, as it auto-healed any attacked, and once he reached the Dragon, he would combine the two, and gain the unholy healing Legendary Armor, which would also feint his attacks, but keep both the strength of the legend, and the healing of the demonic armor.

Once he entered the castle, he used the Magical Saber to strike a hidden block, and then broke the block to reveal the true entrance. He entered, and flew with great speed, avoiding the numerous amount of fireball launchers, and gliding safely up the paths ahead of him. He made it up the second floor, when there was a narrow walkway in which only something small could squeeze through. He found a room, and knew what laid inside waiting for him. Sure enough, it was a transformation machine, and he was changed into a bunny again, before the machine self-destructed. He was now having to proceed as the bunny!

Still, this present an interesting challenge. the traps were no different, so the fireballs passed safely over his head. He passed through a hidden walkway through a wall, and found a few blue crabs he had to defeat to pass on. So close, she is nearby I can feel that magic! he told himself. He found another door, and ducked inside before a single red Cyclops could grab his small frame. Inside was an emergency healing potion, which he now had a few left in his journey here. Part of him hoped he could do well, and possibly present this potion to the Princesses, to have them make it for his fellow Guards, if they ever would need it.

He exited, and was soon chased by those evil clouds, dropping fireballs, and using his shield to block them as they came closer. A spring launched him upward, and with a well timed strike, both clouds were disintegrated quickly. He fell down back to the floor below, and walk into the next room, which was full of water, and he sank helplessly towards the bottom. He saw a door and opened it, hoping the next machine would be inside. He was correct, and his Sea-pony form came to him, making escaping the flooded room much easier.

One more flooded room was next, this time full of blue fish trying to attack him. He disposed of them, and exited, now dealing with some blue ninjas again, and leaping through more fire traps. The Samurai came next and once again, his boomerang was invaluable to helping him break their guard and proceed ahead. A series of block were lining the floor ahead of him, and he knew what form to take on next. The Manticore, with its overwhelming swing downward broke the path open, and soon, he continued forward, passing through more and more traps.

He hit the bottom level of the castle, and the only path before him was once again clear: UP. He used the last machine to transform into his Phoenix form, and from there, flew carefully, and skillfully past the monsters. He had enough of this puzzling castle, and only wanted to see that Dragon dead and Miss Sparkle free. He imagined getting thanks from his Captain, perhaps even some sort of acknowledgement from the Princesses, but, he quickly pushed those selfish desires away, he needed to focus, and soon, he found a vile looking door, the door to the Dragon's lair! He entered bravely, and set himself to fight the final threat to Equestria!


Wonder stared down the flying beast, and saw, not one, but TWO faces. The vile creature before him was a true Undead Dragon, it bore the teeth of a vampire on its top head, and a monster face on its stomach! He struck twice on each face, and the beast screamed, launching smiley fireballs at the Phoenix, damaging him, but not enough to kill him by any stretch. The healing continued on, as he struck over and over, blindly succumbing to rage. His attacks were weak, but the amount of hits he gave the foul creature made it mad and angry. All it could do was rush the flying hero, and launch more fireballs until the hits grew too great, and Wonder fell...

The Dragon roared proudly, assured that it could now leave the castle, and feast upon the pigs, and the freed ponies. What it didn't see was the Phoenix rise up from its ashes, consuming a potion, and striking out once more, just as the Dragon turned to see. It was too late, the cursed creature fell, and with it came two things: The missing Miss Sparkle who was wide awake, and in her hooves, the treasure he sought. His cure, the Salamander's Cross, which took the form of a glowing blue letter "T".

Twilight turned to Wonder, and gave him the treasure, and thanked him for rescuing her, and the soon were back into town. As Twilight was rushed over by her friends, Wonder was consumed again by the blue flames as each of his forms "died" and left one by one. Once the dragon form came and went, Applejack and Silhouette rushed to see the new Pony, a simple grey color, with light green mane laid before them, and before they could check him, the village, their home for all this time, faded in front of them.


"Captain Armor! We have received word that the Elements have returned with a Royal Guard and one of the Night Guards as well! We sighted them outside of the Everfree Forest about three minutes ago!" an eager stallion reported to his superior, who had been around Ponyville since his sister's disappearance, and more recently, looking for three stray fillies.

He looked at the solider, smiled, and simply took off at full sprint towards the direction of the reported sighting.