• Published 9th Aug 2012
  • 845 Views, 23 Comments

Wonder-Colt 3: The Dragon's Trap. - Will of Haphinea



A Royal Guard finds himself in the Monster World to rescue the Main Six, and defeat the dragons!

  • ...
 23
 845

Truth and Consequences, and the world beyond Ponyville

With a ray of sunlight hitting his eyes, Wonder rolled out of bed, and prepared himself for the day ahead. Truths needed to be brought up, and he needed to confront those he wronged, but one thing he completely forgot to ask about stuck in his mind: Why was Zed here? True, he cared for his friend, and besides Miss Shield, Zed knew him even more outside of his Guard duty. They fought and braved so many towns, and that Sphinx...if it were not for his Zorse friend...

Regardless of what they had been through, he knew Zed had a responsibility to his own hometown, the little village of Hope's Asylum, and all the creature and friends he made there. If confronting his friend, and telling the truth to the Elements were required, he would, but, Asylum would still be protected. They saved his life, and he knew, if Zed were here, something weas wrong. Speaking of the pony-zebra mutt, why was he hugging me? Wonder thought to himself.

"Zed, I appreciate your company and above all, your companionship, but, I don't really feel comfortable with your hugging me like this," he said to the barely awakened friend. "Well, I suppose that COULD explain why you don't like my Silhouette!" he added with a sly smirk.

The Zebra-mule snapped out of it, after hearing of his personal life being mocked. True he wasn't sure how to handle the aggressive Night Guard, but he certainly had no interest in his friend. "I apologize, had a very intense dream, I hope nothing looks bad, or even obscene."

"No, but I have to ask, before I go out there...why are you here? You and the other Guardians certainly can handle yourselves well enough. Has....She....returned? Or what?" Wonder spoke in code, In truth both of them knew whom they were speaking of, but that mystery would wait until they could be fully trusted by the Elements, and hopefully by extension, the Princesses. Some secrets were worth protecting.

"No, now word from those far off lands, but what I bring is news of blood, and fights in the sand.

You remember the, visitors, injured and weak, when they came to the village, none dared to speak.
Well, one did warn us, but too late to stop, the attack came swiftly, and..."

"You mean they attacked the village?!? Why didn't you tell me! I need to rescue these Elements and get over there as soon as possible I can't stay.." Wonder panicked, for reasons he knew, but part of him feared what would happen of his duty. He was a Royal Guard first, his assignment to the Princesses were his primary mission. How could he abandon the Elements, just to save one village? I was a tough thing to think about, but after much searching, he decided what to do. "We need to tell them, Zed, like NOW!"


Despite Pinkie being able to sneak into the Inn to speak to Wonder, she still forgot to unlock the front door to let her friends inside. As a result, most of them slept at the hospital, near some cots and for the most part, waiting for Dash to wake from her own sleep that the Sea Dragon had put her in. The stomach acid and fluid did do a number on her coat, as patches were discolored, but her mane at least was still a bright rainbowed-color, and overall she seemed ok. It was the matter of how long she had been in there that worried the other mares.

"I really hope he is ok. Even in a Manticore form, he sure seemed scared of us. I really need to apologize to him, I didn't know the Stare would affect him that way." Fluttershy said to Applejack. AJ, on the other hand, seemed very upset by the apparent ignorance of her friend.

"You don't remember what he said 'bout us 'Shy? I mean, this whole time, he was checkin' us out, probably tryin' to smooth his way into our..." Applejack was interrupted by a bang on the door.

"It's Silhouette. I need to talk to you girls now! Both of the boys are looking very upset about something, and I think we need to see what is happening." she said, trying to maintain her professional demeanor to the Elements, while also urging them as friendly as possible to get the two sides to talk.

Applejack and Fluttershy got Pinkie up, and decided to leave Dash alone for a bit and talk with both the rescuer, and his strange friend, to get to the bottom of whatever seemed to be panicking them. They sat just outside the Inn, in front of the building that lead to the beach area, and waited for the stallions.


"Whatever they ask, I don't care how silly or ridiculous, tell them the truth Zed! I'll be doing the same, and I know with the Honesty Element with the other mares, they'll detect a lie very quick!" Wonder was nearly calmed. He noticed, strangely enough, as a Manticore, the emotions he experienced regularly were extremely heighten in this form. He was thankful he was somewhat calm, and not angry, as thinking about that would indeed be a scary thought. He proceeded towards the patiently awaiting group of mares outside, and began his speech.

"Hello ladies, I must first start off, and confess that what I said was, inexcusable, and I should not have let my thoughts out to make you feel uncomfortable. I am held to a higher regard, by myself, my Captain, and both Princesses. By dishonoring you with my, primal thoughts, I dishonor them, and it is something I shall not do again." He paused, checking their reactions. Pinkie was smiling as always, Applejack gave him an odd look, Silhouette, was staring at Zed, not really paying attention to him at all, and Fluttershy was blushing, and hiding behind her mane, not too unusual. Rainbow Dash was, wait, she is ok? Thank the Goddesses! he thought to himself.

"I come to all of you now, as I believe I need help confronting both the last two dragons, and rescuing your two remaining friends. Normally, I wouldn't want to rush into danger, but I have been told by my friend Zed, that a small village is being threatened with attack by the Changelings. As to why they are being threatened, and why the rest of the Royal guards are not protecting them, It is because...they are harboring three of their kind, who wished to defect and live normal lives. There names are..." Wonder was interrupted by the sounds of everyone, including his friend in the Night Guard, objecting to what he was saying.

"I cannot believe what you are saying, 'Tone! You mean to say the Princess' Guard are going to let a village get destroyed, and that the village is harboring harmful Changelings? I mean, it is one or the other. I know you know what they are capable of, what destruction they were causing in MY town. I can't believe you want help to protect a few of their nice species!"

"It isn't about that, my dearest Silhouette! Hope's Asylum is a refuge for every species regardless of their background. I live there, amongst the griffons, and their pony lovers, as well as, other creatures, that live together, for a common goal: To live together peacefully!" Zed interrupted, with passion in his voice that was unheard of previously.

"Where were you ponies, when my aunt Zecora wanted to buy supplies in Ponyville?!? She told me of what happened in a letter, and were it not for a small foal named Apple Bloom, you would have treated her as an outsider! Tell me, would you also reject the same were she a Minotaur, Griffon, or even a Hippogryph, or a Kirin? I believe so, sadly." he paused, and looked out to the guilty faces of the mares before him. "Mimic, Replica, and Facsimile came to us injured, and weak, we could not reject them do to who they were. They changed, and live their lives in peace with us. I only ask that you do the same." Zed let Wonder take over from that point, as he was emotionally exhausted trying to appeal to their compassionate side.

"I shall rescue both the Element of Generosity and Magic as quickly as possible, and once that is done, and the curse lifted from this land, you ladies are free to report to the Princess whatever you may, but as for myself, I shall save that village." He paused, and let himself open up one more time, "I have kept secrets but no longer...if you all have questions, about anything I have said, or about myself, now is the time to ask." Silence settled of the small crowd, until one pony spoke up.

"Well, I don't know what the big deal is girls," a voice from the back said. "I mean sure, he said Fluttershy and AJ had nice flanks, guess what THEY do, I look at them all the time! He kissed a griffon? So? I never did anything with Gilda, but if I had, would you girls think any less of me? I know I am usually the least trustful of new ponies, but I am loyal to those who would risk their necks for us girls. I trust you!" Rainbow finished, and cause Wonder to smile to himself.

"I guess if Dashie trust you, I trust you too! But I must say Wessy, or Wonder or whoever you are...why haven't you got all the armor and weapons yet? You are missing so much! You have to let me help you!" Pinkie declared and was off towards the direction of the Inn.

"I, um, will help anyway I can, but please don't stare anymore, ok? I promise I won't do the Stare if you don't!" Fluttershy asked nervously. Wonder answered by hugging her, and agreed.

This left Applejack and Silhouette. Well, just Applejack, as Silhouette agreed to Zed's demands, and was busy with him, kissing his face all over again. The Earth pony and Manticore-pony stared each other down, and waited for the other to speak up first. Finally, Wonder spoke first. "I don't expect to ever earn your respect ma'am, I did something wrong by you and I am sorry. But I..." he was interrupted by a hug and he accepted it graciously.

"Ah am not sayin' what you did was ok by me, and truth be told, if you are even in Ponyville, mah brother Big Mac may have a few words for you. But, I understand you are trying to do right, that's all I could ask for. Now, if I were to ask for a map to this refuge that Zed comes from..."

"I'll give you a detailed map and directions. Trust me, the way there isn't so simple, and many have gotten lost trying to find the place. That said, i would welcome you. It is a wonderful little place, and I am sure your friends will love it." Wonder added. "Could you tell the others my name..err, my real name? I still prefer Wes myself, but no more lies."

Before Applejack could agree, Pinkie burst out of the Inn, and grabbed Wonder by his claw, and made for the tower "I'llberightbackeveryponygottashowWonderwhereallthearmorandweaponsareBYE!!!" was all she said before they both disappeared.

"So, you look and Fluttershy and mah flank all the time Rainbow?" Applejack asked the Pegasus slyly. All the others present stared at her, even the shy yellow one. Truth be told, she was curious what her life-long friend would say.

Rainbow looked around with a smirk then faded to a straight face, followed by only a small phrase before she took off away from the others: "STOP TALKING!"


Pinkie lead the Guardspony towards a series of caves he never even knew existed in the desert area of Monster land. It was hidden some distance below that Sphinx statue he ran into in his Dragon form. As far as the eye could see, nothing but treasure chest, and each one was full of useful magic, that both he and Pinkie took delight in playing and trying out. He was happy he let the excitable party mare lead him to this place. On top of the magic, were more bits to spend on armors the swine previously would never sell. He was very ready to proceed, when Pinkie pulled him aside.

"Why did you kiss me, Wonder? I mean, I know you seem to like me, and the other girls, but why, of all the others, did you kiss me?!?" she asked, and quickly hugged the soldier of the Princess.

"Truth be told, besides my attraction to you, I was told about your....mood swings. It is nothing bad, but I must ask you, especially after I saw you deck Noir a while ago: Are you ok? I mean, is there something bothering you, deep down? I know I have issues, but sometimes, i find talking to my friend to be the best way to help me. Never forgot that your friend Dash, and the others are here for you." Wonder asked with some hesitance. He knew reading those files about the Elements might get him into trouble, but this may have been important.

"Well, I know that I should talk, and since we are alone, I need to tell you a bit about what is troubling me...but you have to Pinkie Promise it'll stay here, ok?" She agreed to talk, and swore the guard to secrecy. Things said under the Sphinx would never be revealed, and thankfully, even Wonder didn't log what was said in much detail.

As the hours passed however, he was glad to have talked to the surprisingly complex Earth Pony, and promised that none of what was said would be told, except one question she asked of the Princess. Wonder wished he didn't make the promise, but he knew, whether Pinkie or her friends knew it or not, these dark tendencies would manifest themselves. Whether for good or bad, it would remain to be seen in this story, at least.

=========================================

"Whatever may come, it won't matter, I now have the tools to fight this Samurai-Dragon. I shall be there soon, Miss Rarity, and will rescue your sister soon after, Captain!" he said as he entered the path ahead of him. The Dragons were the last things between him and the curse being gone. A village need to be saved, and a final justification for all Earth ponies everywhere, no matter what the other Royal Guards said.