• Published 9th Aug 2012
  • 1,097 Views, 24 Comments

Hands are a handful - will1982



Lyra gets hands. Sadness ensues.

  • ...
1
 24
 1,097

Chapter 2

Hands are a handful
Chapter 2: Final draft (8/10/2012)

It's such a nice day Bon-Bon remarked as she trotted through the sunny streets of Ponyville, loaded with saddlebags full of fresh vegetables.

Bon-Bon had just left work, and was looking forward to getting home and seeing what Lyra was up to at their apartment, probably studying "humans" or the like. Sometimes Bon-Bon did just not understand that mare.

After saying "Hi" to everypony she recognized, Bon-Bon was finally in front of her apartment, gazing at the solid wooden door.

With a quick twist of her hoof, the door creaked open, allow her to see what was inside.

The living area was completely untouched. Normally it would be covered in books, notes, or something related to humans.
In fact, Lyra was nowhere to be found. Bon-Bon searched the entire apartment, and Lyra was gone.

That is, until Bon-Bon opened the closet to put her saddlebags away. Sitting in there was an unconscious Lyra, the charred remains of anything that was in the closet, and a book. Bon-Bon, only mildly surprised by Lyra's mess. This seemed the kind of thing she would do.

But when Bon-Bon picked up Lyra to haul her to the couch, she noticed something.
Lyra didn't have front hooves. She had...paws? What were these things again?

Oh, right. They're hands. Bon-Bon remembered. She picked up the cyan pony and dragged her to the couch, laying her in a comfortable position.

Bon-Bon had no other choice but to wait.

--2 hours later--

Lyra awoke with a start. She couldn't quite put her finger on what happened. One second she was trying that spell, the next second she woke up here. Wait, finger? Lyra glanced down and saw, not a pair of hooves, a pair of cyan hands! Lyra tried to stand up, but due to her new appendages and the fact that she just woke up, standing up was really more tumbling off the couch onto the floor. After her disorientation wore off, Lyra managed to get to her hooves..er... hands..er..hands and hooves.

Lyra sat on the couch in her trademark position, stared at her hands, and began to cry. But these were no tears of sadness, for they were they were tears of joy. She was sobbing uncontrollably. She had HANDS!

After a sobbing period of 5 minutes, Lyra stood up. She stumble-walked to the fridge, grabbed a bottle of water with her hands, and fell over. Without having the two hands to balance herself, it was a bit tricky to use them without falling over. And then she realized: she didn't know how to use hands.

Well, did anypony else know how to use them?

Lyra racked her brain. Maybe not anypony, maybe any dragon!

Although excited, Lyra did not want the public to know of her new appendages just yet. She wanted to know how to use them first.
Lyra, being the crazy mare she was, had prepared for this miracle. She thought it would never happen, but Lyra prepared nonetheless.

She grabbed a pair of cyan-colored hooves and slipped them over her hands. Although a bit less stable, Lyra knew having to use these was better than getting premature attention for her fabulous fingers.

Lyra trotted out the door, a large grin on her face. She still couldn't believe this was real, but a couple of pinches from her new hands proved that this wasn't a dream.

--5 minutes later--
After a short walk through town, Lyra was at the massive tree that is Ponyville Library. She knocked on the door with her fake hoof, and Twilight could be heard clopping to the door. The studious unicorn greeted Lyra with a smile, and invited her in.

"How was the book?" Twilight asked.

Lyra just slipped off the fake hooves.

Twilight began to babble on how "it's not possible" and "this is historic!"

While that went on, Lyra went off to find Spike. He was found just a few feet away, reading a book in the kitchen, effortlessly using his claw-finger things to flip through the pages.

"Hey Spike!" Lyra said confidently.

"Hey Lyra" Spike replied, not even looking up from his book.

"Spike, I was wondering..." Lyra started.

Spike looked up from his book, noticing Lyra's hands, his eyes widening.

"Could you help me learn how to use my hands? You're the only..being I could think of that has hands..." Lyra finished rather nervously.

"Sure, Lyra. I'll give you the basics." Spike set his book down and stood up, cracking his knuckles in the process.

"Okay, Lyra, wiggle your fingers."

"How?"

"Um..imagine each finger is a little hoof, and you can move them all at the same time." Spike explained. At least that's how he thought it worked, but the little dragon didn't have hooves.

After 10 minutes and numerous explanations, Lyra finally managed to move more than one finger at a time.

The duo spent the next three hours doing various hand exercises and tasks. By the time Lyra stepped out of the kitchen, she could grasp, write, and walk more easily, all thanks to her new hands.

Before she could get out the door, Lyra was asked by Twilight to do an interview.

"An interview?" asked a puzzled Lyra.

"Of course! You're the first pony in recorded history to have hands!" replied the excited unicorn.

"It'll only be a few questions." Twilight asked, while wearing her best puppy dog face.

"Alright." said a slightly annoyed Lyra.

"First question: What does it feel like having hands?" asked Twilight, putting on a professional tone.

"Well, it's like having a lot of small, long hooves...I guess. It's hard to explain."

"Do you think hands will make your life easier?"

"Of course."

"And why would that be?"

"They're very versatile."

"Thank you for your time." said a satisfied Twilight.

Slipping on her fake hooves, Lyra walked out the door while saying "No problem."

Celestia's sun was beginning to set over the land of Equestria, and it was a truly beautiful sunset.

Stopping before the entrance to her apartment building, Lyra gazed at the setting sun.

Life is great.

And tomorrow, Ponyville will see Lyra's hands.