• Published 8th Apr 2019
  • 991 Views, 24 Comments

Tears for the Pearl - The Lord Thunder



Pearl Blush is an ordinary unicorn mare... except for the uncontrollable power surges. When she meets Twilight Sparkle, the Mane 6 offer to help find the cause, only to discover to their horror they may have to destroy the pony they want to save..

  • ...
3
 24
 991

Chapter 7

Pearl spent the rest of the day and evening with the Apples, getting to know the whole family. At supper, she enjoyed the warmth of the family table. This, Pearl realized, must be what it is to have a real, loving family. A family that, aside from Gold and Emerald, she’d never had, and it filled her with a comforting warmness. Yet, more than ever, it made her heart ache for home. They finished off dinner with the best pie Pearl had ever tasted.

While Applejack tended to the dishes, Apple Bloom crept into the kitchen, snuck up behind Applejack and stole the dish towel draped across her back. By the time Applejack snapped around, Apple Bloom was already giggling and galloping out of the kitchen.

“You little varmint!” Applejack yelled and gave chase. She charged into the living room and cornered her little sister against the couch. Apple Bloom looked around for an escape, but AJ shifted her body to block off her retreat.

“I gotcha now!” AJ shouted. Both sisters laughed as Applejack yanked the towel away from Apple Bloom, wrapped it around her waist and hoisted her so high she nearly touched the ceiling. Applejack let Apple Bloom down gently against her back. “Alright, sugarcube. Time to be gettin’ ready for bed. Go on, now.”

Apple Bloom climbed off her sister’s back and trotted upstairs. Pearl had watched the scene with a warm, fuzzy sensation in the pit of her soul. How nice it must be to have a family like this. Applejack seemed more like a mother than a big sister, and it made Pearl wonder what it must be like to be a mom.

“You two are really close, eh?” Pearl said as she followed AJ back into the kitchen. “If I may be frank, I’m a little jealous.”

“Well, that’s how family’s supposed to be. At least accordin’ to how Ma and Pa and Granny Smith raised us. But ever since Ma and Pa-” Applejack paused, a quick flash of emotional pain crossing her eyes. “Since they’ve been gone, it was up to Big Mac and me to look after the young'un.”

Pearl glanced around at all the family photos hanging on the kitchen walls, her mind again wandering to what it must be like to have a real family.

“You okay, sugarcube?” Applejack asked.

“Yeah,” Pearl sighed. “Just homesick, I guess. They’re not my blood relatives, but those two back home are really all I’ve ever had.”

Applejack dried her hooves with the towel so she could put a comforting hoof on Pearl’s shoulder and look her in the eye. “If ya want my advice, Sugarcube, your real family are the ones who stick with you and care about you. Twilight and the others ain't Apples, but they're like family to me, ya know? So from what I’ve gathered, to hear ya talk, you got a good family back home. And if ya stick around here long enough, you might even add a couple members to it. As a matter of fact, how’d you like to be an honorary Apple?”

Pearl sniffed, her smile returning. “I’d be honored.”

Applejack opened a counter drawer and dug out an apple badge woven out of fabric. “Here, I want you to have this badge. Granny makes ‘em in her spare time. Every honorary Apple gets one.” She placed the badge in Pearl’s waiting hoof.

Pearl looked at the badge for a moment. It was a simple item, but one she knew she would treasure. “Thanks, Applejack. It means a lot.”

Applejack responded with a smile and a hearty pat on the back. “You’re good company far as I’m concerned. Anytime ya wanna drop by, you’ll be welcome here at Sweet Apple Acres.”

***

Pearl Blush was a bit disappointed when she returned to the castle that evening and learned Twilight and Starlight hadn't found any leads on the search for her cutie mark. Nor had Luna or Celestia. Pearl wouldn't let the despair hold on. There were answers. There had to be.

Pearl stood on one of the outer balconies of the Castle of Friendship, her gaze lost in the stars dotting the blackness of the night sky, her thoughts in tune with the vast dark. The door to the patio opened and Pearl looked over her shoulder to see Starlight Glimmer standing there.

“What are you doing out there?” From Starlight’s tone, Pearl knew it wasn’t a scathing question but one of curiosity. Maybe even concern.

“Just thought I’d get some fresh air.”

Starlight stepped out from under the doorway and joined Pearl at the rail of the balcony. “Everything okay?”

Pearl sighed. “No, not really.”

“Want to talk about it?” Starlight propped her forelegs up on the balcony, signaling that she didn’t intend to leave anytime soon.

For a moment, Pearl pursed her lips, trying to decide where to begin. “Can you imagine what it’s like, living every day being terrified of yourself?”

Starlight sighed and rested her chin on her forelegs. “Yup.”

Not the answer Pearl had expected. She reeled back in mild surprise. “You can?”

“I can. I’ve been there and felt utterly lost, to the point I nearly destroyed Equestria. Believe me, that’s a challenge to get past, but Twilight and the others helped me to deal with the fear and the blame, and over the past couple years I’ve found my place in Equestria and I’m a lot happier.”

“Do you — do you think there’s hope for me to be happy, too? Do you think I'll ever find my place?”

Starlight hugged Pearl, nodding. “Where there’s friendship, there’s always hope.”

Pearl smiled a little. “Thanks, Starlight. It helps, knowing I’m not the only one who’s had it hard.”

“We’ll all stand by you, and from what I’ve seen…” Starlight looked at Pearl for a quiet moment, then smiled. “you’re not a bad pony yourself.” She stifled a big yawn with her hoof and turned for the patio door. “It’s late. I’m gonna turn in. You coming inside?”

“Yeah, in a minute.” Pearl took her front legs off the balcony, regarding Starlight with a smile. “I’ll see you in the morning, Starlight.”

“Good night, Pearl.”

Pearl stood for a moment, watching Starlight depart for her room. Pearl couldn’t fight the smile, for she knew she had at last found a friend who could understand her pain. With a tired yawn, she departed for her room and fondly regarded the Apple badge and picture of her and Pinkie on the roller coaster, both of which she'd placed on her nightstand, before snuggling into bed.