• Published 1st Apr 2019
  • 356 Views, 1 Comments

The Best Laid Out Plans 3: An April Fools Trilogy - Bysen



It has been 3 years since Twilight told the Cadence and Shining to stop pulling pranks since they just kept backfiring. Which was why they'd never expect her to pull one now.

  • ...
 1
 356

Set in like August or something

Shining Armour had a week's leave from the army and had been back since Friday night. Twilight and him had spent all friday night catching up, playing games, talking about his life in the army and her school and what it was like having your own private learning room and assured him it was a ‘special’ room. They stayed up until 4am when their father can come down stairs and told them “Go to celestia-damned bed already I have to get up in two hours!”

Their father, Orion Comet [or OC for short], had gotten them to go to sleep but managed to wake up Velvet who had slept through all of it until then. He was promptly sent back downstairs to sleep on the couch he’d just kicked them off of.

The two siblings didn’t wake up the next day until about midday and after that spent much of that day talking too. Sunday however Shining went to the mall to meet up with Cadence and see the new Jaws remake. They missed most of it because they still hadn’t figured out that movies had been replaced by neighflix for that kinda thing years ago. He invited her to dinner and assured her the his room was sound proof enough. It wasn’t.

“Cadence!” Velvet low-yelled as she saw her obviously/hopefully future daughter-in-law and gave her a hug. “I haven’t seen you in months. How have you been?” she asked still hugging the girl. Well, young lady now. Cadence was taking classes and preparing to be a teacher. The last Velvet had heard is that she’d be interning under Principle Cinch back in Crystal Prep starting next semester. Velvet pulled away and looked up at the girl and… “Have you gotten taller?”

“I don’t think so. Have you gotten shorter?” Cadence asked with a cheeky smile. She’d started wearing heels because… well, does she really need a reason? Velvet pouted at this, mostly out of fear that she had but quickly noticed it was just a friendly joke.

“Well, watch your head on the hallway arch.” she replied with a smirk and stepped aside before heading back to the lounge room. The two of them followed. “Twilight isn’t with you? I thought she went with you to the mall this morning Shining Armour.”

“No. I haven’t seen her all day.” Shining answered. “She’s probably at the library. Wait, is it open on Sundays?”

“It’s a public library Shining Armour.” Cadance answered.

“Yeah… so is it open or not?” he asked right back. The next half hour was spent with the three of them discussing if a public service or a government facility would be open on the weekend or not. Velvet kept mentioning that Twilight would know and that the two of them should do more stuff with Twilight that she wanted to do, and generally keep an eye on her. You know, make sure you know what she’s up to and where she is.

They were finally interrupted by OC arriving home. Shining and him started on dinner in the kitchen where they belonged, while Velvet and Cadence got to have some ‘girl time’ together as those two dumb males [as Cadence and Velvet put it] put it. “Well… it’s not a real ‘girl time’ if we don’t discuss boys right?” Velvet said refilling her glass of wine, and by glass I mean coffee mug because she’s a classy woman, and offering to refill Cadences glass. After All the legal drinking age in Equestria is 18. Unlike those brutish simpletons down south in Eaglerica where it was 21.

Cadence however responded “No thank you…” as she took another sip, trying to hide her obvious cringe at the taste.

Velvet just chuckled at her, filled her own glass, closed her eyes and took a sip. Lowering the glass, she opened them again sharply and death-stared directly at Cadence. “What are your intentions with my son.” as she leaned in close. It wasn’t a question, it was a statement.

“Uh…” Cadence barely managed to mutter out. Sure, she knew this was a joke but Velvets eyes looked exactly like her father’s when he’d met Shining. She figured she’d use the same smart arse answer too. “The… same thing as you and his father?” she answered back.

“So you’re going to entrap him by getting pregnant, hmm?” she said, dropping her glare and downing her drink. Cadence’s face fell.

“I… uh… wot?”

“Pphhhaha… I’m kidding you. But seriously… are the two of you planning on a future together yet? After all, if you’re not dating to get married then you’re dating to break up.” Velvet joked once more.

“Hehe… ‘kid in you’.” Cadence tried to joke back. It was clear to Velvet that this line of discussion was making Cadence uncomfortable. And that was all part of the plan. On top of going along with Twilight’s prank, she was making sure Cadence was nice and stressed before it even started. OC was also giving Shining a similar talk in the kitchen right now as well.

Velvet wasn’t worried about causing any issues between the two of them though. The two would get married after Cadence’s four year of college and Shining’s four years in the army. Just like the gypsy woman said.

“Dinner’s ready.” OC walked in and told the two girls. “Um… did I interrupt something?” they both looked at him. “O...k… then…” he added before turning and leaving the room. Only to pop his head back in real quick and sayu “Oh, and Cadence, could you go up stairs and tell Twilight to come down for dinner? Thanks.” and he was gone.

“Twilight’s home?” Cadence asked.

“I guess so. Must've missed it somehow.” Velvet answered as she stood up and took her bottle into the dining room. Cadence went to head up stairs. Velvet caught herself. She never [rarely] drank in front of Twilight. It would be too much of a clue if she kept on drinking. She found the cork and forced it back in. It resisted as if it wanted to be drunk but Velvet finally got it.

Placing it back in the cupboard she took her seat just before Cadence came back downstairs. “Twilight’s not upstairs.” she wasn’t worried, just stating a fact as she walked behind her seat and leant on the still pushed-in chair’s back. “Should we wait for her?”

“We should but…” Shining nodded towards Dad’s Spaghetti that the two of them had made. Cadence sighed and pulled out her chair. Shining served up the plates and left enough in the bowl for Twilight. Though that was more likely for seconds than her. Giving a few extra meatballs to Cadence and only one extra to himself he finished dishing out the meal and sat down himself. “I’ll say grace. On top of spaghetti, all covered in cheese. I lost my poor meatball when somebody sneezed. Neighmen.”

“NEIGHMEN” the rest followed and dug in.

Author's Note:

This chapter was split in 2 because it was 3 times as long as the other chapters and even though they all end at a solid point in the story and this one doesn't it just fits better word count wise.