• Published 26th Mar 2019
  • 4,436 Views, 22 Comments

Doing Loving Things - HeideKnight



You have an important question for Starlight. And no, it can't wait.

  • ...
5
 22
 4,436

Her Eyes

Starlight tells you about her day as you walk through the empty, marble halls. She says her line is always long. In fact, today is relatively light. You’re enraptured by her voice. But as you rub your hidden box, your heart rate climbs. You need to find somewhere scenic you can be alone with her.

You ask her if you can see the lake.

Starlight rubs her muzzle. “I guess that would be alright, but it’s back the other way.” You both turn and walk the way you came. You look to her. You smile involuntarily. You’re glad her eyes are forward. You’re sure you look silly.

“Starlight?”

Twilight’s voice startles you both. She walks out of a large double door. You assume it’s her office.

She nods at you, then looks to Starlight. “I didn’t realize you had a guest.”

Starlight’s ears droop. “Oh, uh, yeah. I didn’t either until a few minutes ago.”

“It’s alright to have visitors, but I’m sure you’re quite busy.”

“I, uh.” Starlight glances to you, then refocuses on Twilight. “Fluttershy is covering for me.”

Twilight tilts her head and hums. You can sense she’s going to tell Starlight to return to her duties. You clutch the box and step forward.

“Yes?” Twilight says, turning toward you. You swallow, then ask Twilight where she’s going. She seems surprised by your question.

“To lunch?”

You look at your watch, then nod. Starlight has gone weeks without a lunch break, you say, and despite that being against EEA regulations, she has done so without complaint. Both mares look shocked. You continue. Surely, you say, Starlight can take a little time today. A guidance counselor needs a break as much as the head mare.

“I, well…” Twilight breathes, then straightens. “Yes, alright.” She smiles at Starlight. “Enjoy your lunch. I’ll see you later.” She nods to you, closes her office door, and leaves.

Starlight’s eyes follow her, then she looks at you. You puff out your chest, feeling somewhat proud for standing up for your marefriend.

Starlight’s disbelief sticks. “What were you thinking?”

Your pride ebbs. You frown. You thought you were helping.

“Twilight is my boss,” Starlight says. “And a princess. Do you have any idea what it means to talk to her like that?”

You’re starting to get an idea. You lift your hand, ready to apologize, but Starlight presses her nose into your stomach. “It means you’re almost as reckless as I am,” she says. She looks up and meets your gaze. Her eyes shimmer. More beautiful than the ocean during sunset, you think.

“Come on,” she says and tugs your hand with her magic. “Let’s go see that lake.”

You follow dutifully.