• Published 27th Mar 2019
  • 4,017 Views, 279 Comments

Four Stars - Moterius



Samuel has lived a (he thought) boring live, so he happily accepted the offer some sort of spirit made to him.

  • ...
23
 279
 4,017

1 - 6: when going out to explore

(Flare)

Magic poured into my body, not that of a parasite, but that of an alicorn.

I had ‘lost’ against Grogar. I was not sure what he was thinking, but I decided to wait until he left, which he eventually did. I could feel the range of his perception, and as soon as I left it, I stood up, regenerated my rough form with rocks from the vicinity, then threw myself in the air again.

I dared not to hope that he would lower his caution, thinking he had defeated one or the defender of ponykind, for that, he was too smart.

However, I now knew far more than I did before, and I could tell that a good lightning strike would work just as well as my ‘bombs’.

I was careful not to exceed the speed of sound. I did not intend to alert the goat to my presence.


“Velvet!” I called out in two-toned disharmony, getting the attention of the unicorn that was busy writing messages and mailing them with nearby pegasi.

“You don’t look so good…” he commented, getting a huff out of me.

“I encountered Grogar. He has powerful magic, strong enough to cut through stone effortlessly. He should not be faced in direct combat by any but experienced, powerful fighters,” I said, rubbing my left eye. It was still not fully regenerated.

“How – ah, right. What else can you tell us about him?”

“His army is made up of undead soldiers. I do not know that for sure, but I could feel them. They are undead,” I/we said, getting him to nod.

“On that topic, there is a message for you.”

“Oh?” I asked, grabbing the envelope.

“How do people even know… oh crap.

The letter was written in the year 1001… of Celestial Reign. Thousands of years in the future.

It instructed me to search for the guardians Sunshine and Selene, marked by their empty flanks, wings, and horns they both bore.

Seemed like I was not the one who would stop Grogar…

Unfortunately, the letter also mentioned that the guardians have not mingled with other ponies for generations and did not know of the dire situation. Fortunately, a map was included.

“Something important?”

I raised an eyebrow at Velvet.

“You could say that. This may decide the outcome of this war… I cannot help you anymore, at least not for the time being,” I responded causing him to sigh.

“And I’m almost out of mail pegasi, too…”

I gave him a (hopefully) encouraging smile.

“Don’t worry, I’m sure you’ll manage.”

“Thanks. Before you go, though, I have just one question.”

Eh?

“How’d you get there and back here – within half a day, without even looking winded?”

I deadpanned.

“I’m still a mess of molten rock.”

“Ah, fair. Well, good luck, I guess,” he grumbled, returning to his paperwork.


Do you think he suspects us?

‘He has no reason to,’ I responded to Nightmare, shrugging.

‘Also, should we test how much you boost me?’

Sure.

A quick test revealed that the explosions I created now had a diameter about twice as big as before. This was a substantial power boost, but the problem was that the only comparison I had was that Velvet said that an explosion half that size could be created by an experienced unicorn.

I really needed to meet a legit Celestia…

Flare, look! Over there!

Snapped out of my thoughts, I concentrated on my surroundings again, noticing the valley that was marked on the map. Flying down, I noticed that it was lush, filled with many trees, and completely green.

However, I saw no indications of (civilized) life. But wasn’t it said the guardians lived here?

I decided to meditate again. Wondering why I haven’t done this sooner, I looked at the area around me, eventually…

Finding nothing.

The area here was empty. For at least five decades, no creature had cast any spells here, nor were there any traces of weather magic. That did not mean no ponies were living here – an earth pony’s magic was incredibly hard to detect, after all – but why would go anyone to such lengths to hide?

I’ve been tricked. Why? By whom?

Snarling, I turned tail, flying back to the village I just came from.

That unicorn had a lot to answer for!