• Published 22nd Mar 2019
  • 966 Views, 25 Comments

In Her Mind - SeventhElement



After falling from one Canterlot castle's highest towers, Twilight finds herself comatose, and trapped within her own mind.

  • ...
2
 25
 966

III. Pitter Patter

“Is...is that you?” Twilight cannot believe her own eyes. She saw him die five centuries ago during the Tartarus Event. The night sky erupts with thunder, rain begins clattering against the hospital window.

“Ah yes, I have miraculously escaped death for five hundred years, and I’ve been waiting for this grand moment to reappear to save the day!” Discord makes a grand gesture with his arms and legs. Twilight expected confetti and explosions like he usually would have, but nothing happened. Discord then slumps and lets out an emphatic “NOT!”

Twilight is happy to see her “friend” again, but still feels a distinct void in the current range of emotions she’s currently feeling. “So you’re not my subconscious, fine. This is still a dream, so it doesn’t really matter anyways.”

“Au contraire, my dear Twilight! This is most certainly not a dream!” A flash of lightning dramatically punctuates his sentence. “I am really here, as are you, and as are you.” He points to Twilight’s body lying on the bed.

“But you’re dead. If anything could kill you...that could. Did.” Twilight said angrily, trying to reason through this series of events.

“Correct! I am dead, at least, the Discord you know is dead. I am but a seed I planted in your head before you…” Discord pretends to hold back vomit “‘Reformed’ me. I had a failsafe in the event that you all managed to get back together and cram me into a statue again. That failed and so did the fail safe. I was placed here in your mind, but something happened to me that made me lose all my powers. All I can do is wander!”

Twilight, immediately feels skeptical “And how am I supposed to believe that?”

“Like this!” Discord throws a punch directly at Twilight’s nose, his lion’s paw flowing right through her. “Don’t get me wrong, your mind may not be completely chaotic, but it’s got plenty of little juicy bits. Remember that bit with Flash Sen-”

“Nope nope nope, stop right there with that.” Twilight says, blushing. “My privacy has completely and utterly been invaded.” she thinks to herself.

“It sure has!” Discord says. Twilight blinks, trying to think if she actually said it aloud. “Nope, I can hear your thoughts. I’m in your mind after all. Though I love it when you get all angry so feel free to shout at me, by all means!” Discord leans on the wall behind him.

“Alright, so you’re not really you, you’re who you were minus powers.” Twilight says

“Check.”

“This is all happening within my mind.”

“Check.”

“So I need to wake up.”

“Check, check, and check!” Discord shouts emphatically.

“So, what do I do?”

“Errr, I haven’t thought that far. Maybe you should look back on your memories, you’ve been in that dreadful fog for so many centuries it’s even been hard for me to get around.”

“Fog?” Twilight says.

“Celestia’s sakes Twilight, you’ve basically been locked in your room for the last few centuries spiraling into an infinitely recursive depression, do you seriously not remember?”

Twilight puts her hoof to her chin. Discord is right, there is a large gap in her memory.

Discord rubs his eyes. “Well, I may as well be Virgil. Come along Twilight, I have much to show you.” Discord moves toward the wall opposite of the window, and draws a vertical line with his talon. The lines begin to appear, forming a grid, all dimly glowing white light. The squares are actually part of a cube, in which the cubes begin folding into one another, forming a door. Twilight can see that a long dark staircase made with the same cubes stretches downward into a black void.

Twilight is apprehensive, but this Discord has been stuck in her head for a long time. She’d just be fumbling through everything. “I might as well.” she thought to herself, Discord clearly hearing and acknowledging it. He leads the way down the path.