• Published 17th Feb 2019
  • 3,174 Views, 125 Comments

The New King - ShowShine



After a tragic accident happens, Spike has to be the new ruler of Equestria

  • ...
14
 125
 3,174

Talking it out

Spike walked into a room holding a plate of cookies in his hands. In the room there was a rectangular, wooden table, and four chairs, two on each side. He had told the royal adviser to clear his schedule for the day. He placed the cookies onto the table. His crown tilted off of his head slightly, causing him to adjust it. Starswirl insisted that he kept it on no matter who he was with, even with friends.

He grabbed a porcelain kettle with a sun decorated on it, filled with steaming hot chocolate. Once he placed it down, he grabbed four mugs, each of them the colors and cutie marks of the princesses. The door creaked open, causing Spike to look at it. Applebloom, Sweetie Belle, and Scootaloo stood there. Applebloom had a basket on on her back, Sweetie Belle had a light green bow tying her hair into a ponytail, and Scootaloo had grown her hair how in the few days since Spike had seen her. Her hair almost reached down to her wings. She looked a little skinnier too.

“Come and sit down.” Spike said with a smile. All three girls walked over to the table and Applebloom placed the basket onto the table. It was filled with snacks like apple fritters, muffins, and cupcakes.

“I brought some treats.” She stated while sitting down. Sweetie Belle gave a nervous smile before sitting down across from Spike. Scootaloo didn’t say a word and sat down next to him, hiding her face in her hair. She had heavy bags under her eyes.

“So how have you been doing?” Spike asked. Sweetie Belle let out a mumbled answer and Scootaloo stayed quiet.

“Well Granny made some extra sales to upgrade the barn.” Applebloom said with a smile. Sweetie Belle’s ears perked up in happiness a bit.

“Coco Pommel lives and works at the boutique now. She’s really nice and sometimes makes cookies!” Sweetie Berle exclaimed excitedly. Spike smiled at that. They all looked at Scootaloo, waiting for her to speak. She stared at the floor in a daze. Spike frowned. This was really taking a toll on her.

“Help yourself to some cookies.” Spike stated while gesturing to them. Applebloom and Sweetie Belle both grabbed a chocolate chip cookie. They took a bite and there eyes widened.

“These are amazing! Did the royal cooks make these?” Sweetie Belle asked. Spike smiled.

“I made them, we rarely use the royal chefs.” Spike stated. He placed a cookie in Scootaloos plate, causing her to look up. She grabbed the cookie and softly nibbled on it. It seemed like this was the first time she had eaten in a while.

“So what’s it’s like being King?” Applebloom asked. Spike shrugged his shoulders.

“It’s been hard. I have to confirm laws, make meetings, go to social outings, AND raise the sun and moon everyday.” Spike stated. “I’m just really tired.” He admitted. Sweetie Belle poured some hot chocolate into her mug that looked like Princess Luna. Steam floated upwards from her mug.

“It sounds like you need a break.” Sweetie Belle commented. Spike waved his hand dismissively.

“I just need to get into a pattern, then it’ll get easier.” He said. Applebloom gave him a concerned look.

“That doesn’t sound good at all. Applejack tried doing that before and she got depressed for a while. She said it was like being trapped in a loop.” She stated. Spikes scales flattened. He had to at least try to get in some sort of pattern. He’d never get the hang of being King if he didn’t figure something out.

“You’re right, that’s a bad idea. I shouldn’t do that.” Spike lied. He was definitely going to do that. It didn’t matter if he got depressed, it only mattered if Equestria was safe. He poured some hot chocolate into it mug and took a sip. It was extremely sweet. Spike picked up the tea pot.

“This is too sweet, I’m gonna go water it down.” Spike said while standing up. He walked out of the room, leaving the three girls to themselves.


Spike held the kettle under the faucet, letting cool water pour in. Once it seemed watered down enough, he put it on the stove. He was too tired to use his fire breath to hear it up himself. He turned on the fire and leaned against the counter, closing his eyes. It felt nice to hear the flame and nothing else.

“Your majesty?” A voice asked, causing him to open his eyes. Scootaloo stood there, looking down at the floor.

“Hey Scootaloo, whats up?” Spike asked with a small smile. She looked at him with sorrow in her eyes. She rubbed her arm bashfully.

“Can I talk to you for a little bit?” She asked.

“Sure thing.” He said. Scootaloo took in a deep breath.

“I feel terrible. Rainbow Dash was the only one that made me feel happy. My parents abandoned me when I was young because I can’t fly. I’ve been living alone for years and Rainbow Dash helped me by buying me food and paying my bills.” She sniffled, her eyes tearing up slightly.

“Now I don’t have anywhere to live and been living in the clubhouse I don’t want to worrying the girls so I haven’t told them any of this. I don’t even have the energy to cry anymore.” Scootaloo finished. Spike walked over and hugged her. She froze for a moment before hugging him back.

“Thanks your majesty.” She thanked greatfully.

“It’s just Spike.” He corrected. They pulled away from the hug and Scootaloo chuckled.

“It feels great to get that off my chest.” Scootaloo said with a smile. She looked at Spikes smiling face and tilted her head. “How did you cope so well so quickly? You don’t even look sad!” Scootaloo asked. Spikes scaled flattened.

“I didn’t cope at all actually. I cried for a few minutes but that was it. Starswirl said all royalty have to suppress their feelings, even if it hurts them. Even if it hurts really badly....” Spike started to trail off, digging his claws into his arm. He looked down at the floor, losing his eye contact with Scootaloo.


“Even if it means never seeing anyone you love again or getting to talk to them or let them sing you to sleep or or...” Spike broke down into sobs, already hiccuping. His crown fell onto the floor with a clank. He let out loud sobs into his hands, shaking. Scootaloo hugged him tightly, stroking his head.

“It’ll all be okay.” She said comfortingly. The kettle whistled loudly, causing Scootaloo to jump in surprise. Spike pushed her away and let out a deep breath. He walked over to the kettle and turned off the fire. He took his crown off of the floor and placed it on his head.

“Please don’t tell anyone about this. Okay?” Spike asked. Scootaloo nodded her head. He picked up the kettle and started to leave the kitchen. Both children walked down the hallway.

“If you like, you can move into the castle with me. There are hundreds of spare rooms.” Spike suggested. Scootaloos eyes widened before she broke out in to a large grin.

”Really?!” She shouted, stars appearing in her eyes. Spike smiled and nodded his head.

“Yeah, and you can stay as long as you want.” He said. Scootaloo hopped up and down excitement before stopping.

“Wait, but I still have to go to school, how can I do that if I live so far?” She asked. Spike thought for a moment.

“I could get some guards to fly you to school everyday. Or I could give you an unlimited train ticket, you could take as many rides as you want.” Spike planned out. Scootaloo danced around happily, catching the attention of two guards who snickered to themselves. Scootaloo blushed when she noticed and quickly fixed her posture.

“You can get your things when we’re done with eating and talking, you can get your things and move in.” Spike stated. He looked at Scootaloo who was grinning. It made him feel warm inside to make other people feel happy.

Maybe he could be a good king.