• Published 17th Feb 2019
  • 3,174 Views, 125 Comments

The New King - ShowShine



After a tragic accident happens, Spike has to be the new ruler of Equestria

  • ...
14
 125
 3,174

Shadows

Author's Note:

Sorry that this chapter took so long and it’s so short

Spike walked through the throne room with books on his head.

“A good King must always have perfect posture.” Starswirl stated. Starswirl has really been getting on Spike’s nerves lately. He tried to make him perfect constantly. He once woke him up because ‘Royalty doesn’t snore loudly.’

“It’s hard to balance the books because of my scales.” Spike stated. Starswirl scoffed.

“That’s just an excuse for your imperfect posture.” Starswirl stated while getting back to his book. Spike let out an angry grumble, trying to make sure the books stayed on his head.

“Royalty doesn’t show anger.” Starswirl said. Spike took in a deep breath and tried to stay calm. He was this close to lighting him on fire. He nitpicked on every little thing that he did. For the past three weeks Starswirl only let him get twenty minutes of sleep so he can do extra work. It was driving Spike crazy.

The doors burst open, causing the books to tumble off of his head. Flash Magnus stood there with a distressed look on his face.

“King Sombra has returned!” He exclaimed. Starswirls eyes widened in shock.

“King Sombra? But he died when the Crystal Heart was returned!” Spike exclaimed in confusion.

“He’s in the Crystal Empire and already mind controlled most of the guards.” Flash Magnus explained.

“You can defeat him by yourself, you’re a smart child.” Starswirl said as he got back to reading his book. Spikes eyes widened.

“I can barely raise the sun without getting a migraine, how am I supposed to defeat someone way more powerful than me?” Spike asked. Starswirl shrugged his shoulders.

“You have to figure that out on your own.” He stated. Spike let out a loud groan of frustration. A sudden idea hit him.

“You won’t help but I know someone who can.”


Spike walked into the dungeon which was currently under renovations. A few guards were adding better beds to the cells. Only the worst criminals would get the freezing cold cells with no bed at all. They didn’t deserve any mercy. Spike approached the last cell.

“Hello your majesty, I have to say that these new beds are wonderful.” Discord stated happily. He snapped his fingers and a martini appeared in his hands.

“You could use magic this whole time?!” Spike asked in disbelief. Discord scoffed.

“You didn’t really think that you trapped me in here did you?” Discord asked. Spike sighed and rubbed the bridge of his nose.

“I don’t have time for this, King Sombra came back and I need your help.” Spike explained. Discord cocked his eyebrow.

“And why should I help you? You’re the King so you should have everything under control.” Discord stated.

“Starswirl won’t help me and I don’t know what to do, you’re so much more powerful than me.” Spike explained. Discord let out a soft hum and looked at Spike.

“What will I get out of this?” He asked. Spike thought urgently, tapping his foot.

“I’ll let you go. You can stay in the castle and do as much chaos as you want but only in the castle.” Spike stated. Discord put his claw on his chin.

“If you give me a statue for saving Equestria from Sombra then you have yourself a deal.” He said with a smirk. Spike smiled and unlocked the cell door.

“You got yourself a deal. And I have the perfect plan.”


Spike and Discord appeared in Crystal Empire. He gasped at what they saw. Ponies marched in perfect lines, all heading towards the castle. Discord rolled his eyes and cracked his knuckles.

“Sombra has always been so dramatic and neat, why can he just make a mess for once and have some fun.” Discord said with a scoff. Spike glared at him.

“That isn’t the point of all of this, the point is that you need to defeat him.” Spike stated angrily. Discord gave him a look of surprise. He had never gotten that angry before. Spike walked over to the Crystal Heart and placed one hand on it.

“Starswirl taught me a protection spell last week. It should banish Sombra when it’s cast and then you can take away his magic.” Spike stated. Discord nodded his head, eating some popcorn. Spike closed his eyes and started to mumble the spell, concentrating.

”Protect the Empire, protect it well, and evil will no longer dwell.” Spike chanted softly. The Crystal Heart started to glow yellow before spinning rapidly. There was a bright light and the ground shook a bit. Spike stumbled back a bit, his vision blurring and his head spinning.

“Are you okay?” Discord asked. It was out of character for him to ask about someone else’s feelings. Spike nodded his head, regaining his balance.

“I’m fine, just worn out.” Spike stated. He looked around to see the the ponies helmets started to break apart, falling into the ground.

“It worked!” Spike exclaimed. The castle window burst open, a black blur shooting out with a scream. King Sombra landed in the outskirts of the Empire with a loud thud. Discord snickered before cackling loudly.

“That was pathetic!” He shouted, laughing even harder. Ponies moved away from the entrance of the Empire, scared that Sombra was going to attack again. He stood up quickly and charged at the Empire. Sombra bumped into a shield that was covering the Empire. He fell onto his back before hopping up. He let out an audible scream as he banged on the shield.

”THIS IS MY KINGDOM AND YOU SHALL ALL BOW DOWN TO ME!” He screamed angrily. Discord and Spike glanced at each other before he snapped his fingers and dissapeared. The appeared behind Sombra, making him jump in fear. He turned around and let out a hiss. Discord rolled his eyes and snapped his fingers. Sombra tried to attack them with magic, only for a small fizzle of smoke to come out. His eyes were a normal green and his mane wasn’t smoke, it was an actually mane.

“What did you do to me?!” Sombra asked, panicking a bit. Discord snapped his fingers making chains appear on his legs and neck.

“He took away your magic. You’ll be staying in the dungeon until we find out what to do with you.” Spike stated. Sombra cocked his eyebrow.

“And why should I listen to a three year old? Where are the Princesses? I’d rather take orders from some adults.” Sombra stated. Spike gave him a blank expression, too tired to give a sarcastic answer.

“First I’m thirteen, not three. Second, I’m in charge now and that’s all you need to know.” Spike stated. He looked at Discord with tired eyes.

“Let’s go back to the castle.” He stated. An idea popped into Discord’s head.

“You know what would make an even greater punishment than putting Sombra in the dungeon? He could walk back.” Discord suggested. Spike shook his head.

“It’s a two hour walk from here to Canterlot and I’m too tired to do that.” Spike explained. Discord picked him up and placed him on his back.

“Who said anything about you walking.” Discord said. Spike smiled and laid down on his back, closing his eyes. He quickly fell asleep, letting out a snore. Sombra scoffed.

“How pathetic, he fell asleep before we even started moving.” Sombra stated with a little smirk. Discord tugged on Sombras chains, making him move forward a bit.

“Get moving Sombra, it’ll be a long walk til Canterlot.” Discord stated as he started to float forwards. Sombra let out a huff and started to walk a bit. This walk couldn’t be that bad.


Sombra walked down the dungeon stairs, dripping with sweat and his legs shaking. He panted heavily and looked like he was ready to pass out at any moment. Discord made them go in circles for a while so that Spike could get extra sleep and Sombra could be worked even harder.

“Wake up, we’re here.” Discord said while fluttering his wings a bit, his Spike in the face. He sat up and rubbed his eyes, looking around. They were standing in front of Discord’s old cell in the dungeon.

“I think you’ve had enough work for today, you may rest until tomorrow.” Spike said. Sombra stumbled into the cell before flopping face first onto the bed. Spike locked the door cell door. Discord rubbed his claw and paw together happily.

“Now let’s start some chaos around here!”