• Published 7th Aug 2012
  • 1,176 Views, 16 Comments

The Final Battle for Equestria - Songbrony



Chrysalis has taken over Canterlot and ruled over Equestria for 50 years. Can Luna stop her?

  • ...
5
 16
 1,176

Chapter 31

Chapter 31

Blaze and Rainbow Dash were walking throughout the camp. The news of Rook's death had spread quickly. Many were asking questions in hushed voices about what happened. They had all seen the explosion, but they wanted details. Many ran up to him and Rainbow to ask what had happened. They didn't respond and kept on walking. They found Shining Armor surrounded by a group of ponies. He was trying to get them to leave, but was having difficulty since they kept throwing questions at him. He saw them and motioned for them to help him out.

Rainbow walked in front of the group. "Hey! Why aren't you ponies listening to him? Go away!" she ordered.

"What happened to Rook? Are we still going into Ponyville? What about Canterlot?" The group yelled back at her. They weren't going to give up until they heard some answers.

"Rook is dead. We will be taking Ponyville and we will be taking Canterlot. Now go back to your tents!" she shouted.

The group was still asking questions and Rainbow was losing her patience. Blaze stepped up next to her. "I'm going to count to three! Anypony still here by the end of the countdown will be on toilet duty." he threatened. "One. Two." The group separated to avoid the disgusting job. Blaze turned to Shining Armor. "There, peace and quiet. Can we talk?" he asked. Shining nodded his head and motioned them inside.

They went into the tent and sat around a table. "I heard the blast. Are you two and Linus alright?" Shining asked.

"We're fine. But Linus is taking Rook's death hard." Blaze replied. "He wouldn't talk to me or anypony. He's with Luna right now, so hopefully she can comfort him."

"I hope so too." Shining Armor said. He pulled a letter out from his pocket. "Blaze. Before Rook left for Ponyville, he left me this. He told me that if he didn't come back to give this to you. He said it was very important." He handed the letter to Blaze who opened it.

"What is it about?" Rainbow asked as Blaze opened it.

"I don't know. He wouldn't say. The only thing he said was that Blaze couldn't read it unless he died." Shining said. Luna and Linus walked into the tent. Linus looked a little better, but he still seemed lost to the world.

"Hey. What's going on here?" Luna asked.

"Rook left a letter for us

Blaze read the letter aloud.

To my friends...

I have made sure that Shining Armor gives you this letter if I did not return from the mission at Ponyville. If you have read this far, That probably means I’m not around anymore.

The night before the mission, I had this... feeling that I would not make it back. I decided to jot my last thoughts down, so they would still get to all of you.

When Starbolt died, many ponies grieved. She had family and friends that was sad to see her go. Can I say the same about myself? I had no family besides her. Friends? That depends on who you ask. I didn’t have many friends, but I had enough. Will you miss me? Who knows.

My final years have been quiet. I planned on retirement years ago with Starbolt, but her death has made me... numb. I just didn’t care about my life anymore. Why bother living if I had no pony to live with. I didn’t take my life, but I instead fully gave it to the service of the army. My life hasn’t truly been the same since. Why else would I drink so much tea (of course, Linus says I can be dangerous without it). However, My friends... you have made my life liveable.

Linus, you are a strong, able pony. Don’t let others discourage you. And for Epona’s sake, watch out for Luna. I don’t want you to go through what I did, old friend.

Luna, Lead your ponies to victory. With such a great charisma, it shouldn’t be hard for you. Your Sister led the nation without you, and you can do the same. Also, just go with Linus. It’s difficult to find ponies like him nowadays.

Rainbow Dash, even though you are new in my life, I thank you for being there for us.

Blaze, when one loses a part of themselves to the misfortune, an Iron Will picks us up, and gets us going again. Hopefully, you can find meaning in those words.


Whatever may be the cause, or even effect, of my absence from your sides, don't despair. I’ll be watching you all from wherever I end up. Hopefully, Starbolt will be by my side.



With All Due Respect,

Rook