• Published 27th Jan 2019
  • 1,167 Views, 25 Comments

Guardians of Harmony - The Penal Guard - Tropic_Turd



Cloud Clipper, a prospecting smuggler, runs out of luck and finally get's caught. He thought this was the end until he was given a chance. And that chance forever changed his destiny.

  • ...
2
 25
 1,167

Chapter 3 - Boot Camp Beatdown III

Goddess, I fucking hate fire guard duty. I know it’s a basic part of a guard’s life but we’re training to become Harmony Guards for fucks sake, not some piece of fucking aesthetic like the Solar and Lunar Guard.

Though the lectures do say that some Harmon Guard units do guard cities in towns. The ones that are in Twilight’s control to be specific.

Still, fire guard duty wasn’t such a bad punishment. There was that one time the drill instructor had me stay in an ice cold pool for the entire night as punishment for looking at him funny. I passed out, the doctors told me my heart actually stopped and that I’d be dead if it weren’t for the assistant drill instructor. And thankfully, I managed to convince Dusty to not join me beforehand.

I breathed in the cold evening air as I stood guard at the east wall of Fort Applebuck. Autumn was fast approaching, and so was our graduation. Just one more month of torture, just one more fucking month and I’ll be out of this fucking shithole.

Nighttime was amazing here at the fort. Out here you can actually see the vast lightshow that was the night sky. The more I look at it, the more I realize why Luna got pissed at ponies sleeping during the night. I mean, who wouldn’t get pissed if you made such a beautiful thing and other ponies just slept instead of appreciating it.

“Beautiful isn’t it?” Dusty ‘Cum-guzzler’ Dusks, my battle buddy and squad leader, asked.

“Yeah,” I turned to see her staring at me with half lidded-eyes and a gentle smile.

“Sure is,” I answered, smiling back at her. “We owe her a lot you know. If it weren’t for her stars, a lot of sailors like myself would’ve gotten lost on our way,” It’s true. If it weren’t for those bright lights in the sky, we wouldn’t be able to navigate with our airship. “And I have a lot to thank you for as well. If it weren’t for you, I would’ve gotten lost on my way along boot camp.”

“Your welcome,” she replied, her cheeks suddenly turning a bit red. Whoa, I never thought I’d actually get a mare as tough as her to blush. “Hey, Scoundrel. You got a minute?”

“Yes?”

“There’s something I want to tell you…”

“Go ahead.”

“I-”

“Good evening. Initiates Clipper, Initiate Dusks,” that was the first time I’ve been called by my real name since I got here. W quickly turned to face whoever it was. It was the fort’s commanding officer, Captain Forthright who was wearing his formal service uniform. So naturally, we both saluted.

“Sir, good evening, sir!” We replied in unison.

“Got punished again?” He asked.

“Sir, yes, sir!”

“Don’t worry, you two. It happens all the time,” the captain replied as he took out a cigarette pack and took out a stick. “Want some?” He asked while he placed the cigarette on his mouth and gave it a light.

Oh fuck yeah I want one. There’s nothing better that a good cig in a cold night. Come to think of it, I haven’t had one of those in a long while. I used to smoke a lot when I was a deckhand in our smuggler vessel. It was an easy way to keep yourself warm, focused and awake. “Sir, is it alright, sir!?”

“Yeah. I’m the only one in this fort that smokes this brand, so Hard Knock will know I was the one who authorized this. Besides, this is my fort, I do what I want and what I’m doing isn’t breaking regulations.”

He handed me a stick and gave it a light. The fort’s captain was the most chill guard I have encountered so far. I wish there were more ponies like him around here.

“What about you, Initiate Dusks?”

“Sir, no thank you, sir! Sir, I don’t smoke, sir!”

Thestrals are very conservative. They managed to preserve their thousand-year-old values as a result of their long isolation after Luna’s banishment. I wouldn’t exactly call them backwards, but their practice of abstaining from gambling, alcohol, smoking and other vices, is little too much isn’t it? And that’s just the tip of the iceberg.

“Are you sure? One stick wouldn’t hurt you know.”

“Sir, thank you for the thought, but no, sir!”

“If you say so. It’s your loss, initiate.”

Then it occurred to me. Why the hell was the captain here? Shouldn’t he be at his office right now. “Sir, why are you here though, sir!?” I asked.

“Just getting some fresh air,” he said, blowing smoke into the sky. “Paper work’s a real bitch. Anyway, I better get back to my office. See you around!”

“Sir, see you around, sir!” I replied, watching the captain wave goodbye as he walked away. I’m definitely buying him a beer after I graduate.

Oh yeah that smoke was fucking good. Sure smoking is bad, but it sure helps in dealing with cold weather and your drill instructor’s bullshit. It’s just what I need to stay focused on guarding this fucking post. Hell, I’m already so focused I can hear somepony grunting while counting numbers. Wait.

“Did you hear that?” Dusty asked.

“Yeah!”

We both turned around and scanned the fort’s inner courtyard. It was empty, but I swear there’s somepony up and about. From the looks of it, the pony must be training. There’s only one way to make sure. I just hope the drill instructors won’t beat me to death for abandoning my post.

“Who the fuck is up at this hour?”

“I don’t know. Let’s go check it out.”

We both quietly flew across the fort grounds, following the faint sound of intense training. After a short while, we both found our pony training at the back of the fort’s storage house.

“Three hundred and ninety-seven, three hundred and ninety-eight, three hundred and ninety-nine, four hundred!” We watched from the dark as Canopy grunted while doing push-ups with one hoof.

Basic training had changed Canopy a lot. The physically and mentally straining workouts, abusive drill instructors, and constant training would’ve already broke him if it weren’t for us. Thanks to his battle buddy’s cooperative nature and our squadron’s constant support, he stood past every challenge that was thrown at him.

He was no longer the wimpy colt he was when he entered, he was now a tough stallion that was skilled in the art of the guard. He’s actually on par with Buster now. And all it took to make that change was self-assurance and a bunch of knucklehead friends to watch your back.

“Should we go in and tell him to stop?” Dusty asked.

“No. let’s leave him be.”

I’m relieved to see that he hasn’t stop trying to improve himself. Though he is breaking curfew by doing it. Still, I watched from the shadows like a proud parent. This kid will drown in bitches by the time we get out of boot camp.


Of all the torture sessions I got from the drill instructor, sparring during the scheduled combat drills were the worst.

Aside from the occasional bad weather during these practices, all of it was rather tame. I didn’t have any extra weight strapped on me, there were no eagles with sharp talons chasing me around and the drill instructors were just watching us silently, intervening only when necessary.

My only issue with it was, the senior drill instructor had me paired with the best fighter among the recruits. And her explicit orders to him was to quote on quote “Beat this son of a bitch’s ass until he turns purple!”

The idea here was he was supposed to do the breaking for the drill instructor. It really didn’t end up as good as she thought though since she picked the wrong pony. Because Buster wasn’t an asshole.

“Fucking hell, Buster! Could you at least give me some leverage next time?” I groaned rolling onto my side as I laid on the ground, grabbing my sore chest as I did. The training armor pads did nothing to block out the pain of the hit I received.

Buster managed to disarm and disable me with a single well placed swing. He did this all the time, so much so in fact that I became known as the unit’s feeble runt. But it’s worth mentioning that all these sparring sessions were done in open ground, my least favored field of combat. We were also given bastard swords which are heavy and hard to use since the only way to use it for non-Unicorns is with your mouth. I might actually get a better chance of winning if I was given a lightweight cutlass or saber that I could hold with my strong wings. Hell, I’d perform better if I was given a pair of daggers!

“Whel i’m sawry partnuurr, but ay sure as hell don’t want thay ...err drill instructaw ta tan my hide because ay done went soft on ya,” he said, extending a hoof which I gladly accepted. Despite the fact that he’s a born killing machine, Buster was surprisingly well mannered for a pony raised in the Badlands. Plus, I like his cowboy accent.

“Still, can you at least just pretend to hit. I can put up a convincing act of being in a lot of pain,” a skill I picked up from one of my ex’s that had an unpleasant kink.

“Shhh!” he shushed, shoving his hoof on my mouth. I swiped it away and look at where he was staring at. I raised an eyebrow as I watched Dusty and Assistant Drill Instructor First Base circle one another. The Senior Drill Instructor just stood there watching them.

“Look, scoundrel. The mad dog’s actually a-doin' it!”

Dusty was the premier swordfighter among us trainees. She was so good in fact that the senior drill instructor said that she could probably win against her assistant in a fair fight. I just didn’t think she’d do something as drastic as to actually go through with her plan to challenge the bastard. All because she wanted to get a chance to change her nickname.

“Crazy bitch,” I muttered, shaking my head in dismay.

She does have a clear advantage here though because she had a sword. The assistant on the other hoof just stood there, swinging that baseball bat of his. He was confident, the LAW was on his side after all.

“Who'd y'all think will win?”

“I think it’s-”

I paused when the two ponies charged at one another simultaneously, a loud cheer erupted from my fellow trainees as the two duked it out. The exchange of swift strikes and skillful parries was an amazing sight. Never in my time had I seen two fighters show that level of finesse and speed. But this was Dusty Dusk’s after all. She’s a pony trained from a young age to be the best.

I opened my mouth and prepared to cheer for her when Buster suddenly put his hoof on my mouth. “Hold on there, partnuurr! Y'all wouldn’t wanna rustle up the seniaw drill instructaw now won’t y'all?”

He had a point there. I gently swiped away his hoof from my face and continued watching the fight attentively.

But something about the assistant drill instructor’s savagery with his attacks was unsettling. He style was a bit unorthodox, as if he’d done this so many times he’s created a specific style of fighting with a baseball bat. I gulped as I imagined how many other recruits got clobbered by his club.

The fight ended as quickly as it began. I watched in horror as a blow from the assistant’s bat managed to brake Dusty’s parry, making her stagger back and exposing herself to attack. The last thing I saw before I closed my eyes was Dusty raising her hooves in an attempt to resist the LAW.

“Son of a fuck!” I heard my battle buddy scream in pain and the crowd of trainees gasp while I turned away. Taking a deep breath, I mustered the courage to view the end result.

Holy motherfucking dogshit,” I mumbled, slack jawed at the amazing sight.

Dusty was on the ground, grasping her fractured hoof with her other one while the assistant stared at the LAW. The dreaded bludgeon was snapped in the middle, the other half hanging by a few fibers of wood.

“Well I’ll be damned! It looks like the nocturnal abomination’s a born LAW breaker! Corporal First Base, escort the initiate to the infirmary.” the senior drill instructor ordered as she walked to towards the two. “Show’s over ladies! Get back to work!”

From then on, we no longer called Dusty, Cum-guzzler. Everypony now referred to her as the Lawbreaker.

“Ma’am!” Buster shouted, waving his hoof in an attempt to get the senior drill instructor’s attention.

“What is it, Scumbag!?” the drill instructor replied.

“Ma’am, ken ay have ayy change av sparring partnuurrs, ma’am?”

“And why would I do that?”

“Ma’am, so ay ken actually learn how ta faheet ayy real opponent, ma’am!”

Fucking asshole. Then again, I do get his point.

The drill instructor nodded. “Initiate Buster, exchange partners with Initiate Canopy!”

“Ma’am, yes, ma’am!”

A few seconds later, Canopy’s sparring partner arrived. Sweet Bean a.k.a. Cucklord formerly known as the Dykelord came marching forward. The sergeant had a nasty habit of editing the nicknames of the trainees who got cucked by their partners. For example, an initiate who used to go by the name Brunette was renamed Cuckette after shit happened.

“Ma’am, you called me, ma’am?”

“That’s right, Initiate Cucklord!” the drill instructor replied. “Beat this son of a bitch to the ground! Feel free to kill him if you want!”

“But-”

“Do I have a hearing problem or did I actually hear you start your sentence without a ‘ma’am’?”

“Ma’am, I’ll beat the shit out of him, ma’am!”

“Outstanding, trainee!” I watched in relief as the drill instructor march off to Faust knows where.

When I turned to my new partner, I was met by the sight of the Earth Pony mare in a fighting stance. “Hold on there, Sweet Bean. At least let me get my sword first,” I said, walking forward to my weapon which was on the ground right in front of her. I didn’t waste time. The moment I grabbed it, I immediately thrusted my weapon forward. The mare managed to parry it before leaping back.

“Son of a-”

“Always be prepared kid! The monsters out there won’t hesitate to kill you if you’re too slow to act!” I sneered, trying my best to sound intimidating.

To my surprise, it actually worked. Everytime I took a step forward the mare took a step back. I laughed wickedly when I realized that for the first time since day one, I was in control of an engagement. Must’ve had something to do with my reputation as a criminal.

“Scared?” I asked her, a wide grin creeping up my face.

“I’m not afraid of you,” she replied, her voice shaking a bit with fear.

“Lies. Why don’t you come here and prove to me that you aren’t!” I taunted once more, pointing my sword at her face. I sighed in disappointment and lowered my guard when she didn’t take the bait. This fight was going nowhere. I’m getting bored!

And I’m bound to do and say crazy shit when I’m bored.

“I think I now know why your girl left you. You’re all words and no fuck! Just a pathetic and boring dyke!” I really didn’t want to do this, but I had no choice. This fight won’t go anywhere unless I do something.

“Keep saying that and I will fuck you up!”

“What? Just like how Jody fucked your marefriend?” I laughed, watching the mare grit her teeth. Just a little bit more and she’ll break. “You know what, I bet Jody’s fucking her right now… thinking about how happy she was that she abandoned you while they’re doing it! Cause she no longer needs to look after your emotionally dependent bitch-ass.”

“Waaaaghhh!” she roared, charging at me with murder in her eyes.

I rolled onto my side, narrowly avoiding the charge that would’ve surely killed me. I also took the opportunity to trip her with a swipe from my wings making her tumble down on the ground. Having large and powerful wings has its benefits. Seeing my chance, I dashed forward, climbing on top of the mare and disarming her. The fight ended without me even swinging my sword, looks like I really do have a knack for this kind of work

“Nerves of steel, kid! It’ll help you survive out there!” I said, getting off the mare.

“Fuck off!” she replied, throwing a punch that I easily dodged.

“Jeez, kid! It’s nothing personal, I was just getting bored of your lazy ass.”

“Fuck you!” the mare roared as she stood up, tears falling down from her bloodshot eyes.

“I’m sorry, Cucklord! But if you’d actually attacked me I wouldn’t have to say all that.”

“Eat shit and die!” she screamed before she ran away crying. I just stood there, dumbfounded at her reaction. Godess, these Equestrians are so damn onion-skinned.

“What the fuck is wrong with you!?” I heard a familiar voice call out from behind me. It was the Fatherfucker, and she looked pissed. She probably saw and heard everything.

“It was a taunt, okay! I only tried to fool her into attacking because she was just standing there doing nothing!”

“Could’ve you at least tried something less personal you… insensitive cunt?”

“I could’ve insulted her father that died last week. But that wouldn’t have the same effect.”

She stared at me in pure disgust.

“What?”

“You are sick, Scoundrel. You are a sick bastard.”

“Yeah, whatever!” I said, waving her off before turning around. If I was an inch taller than I was, I would’ve died right there. Why? Because the broken half of a sword just zipped past my head.

“Holy fuck!” I heard Fatherfucker shout as she hit the deck. “Where the fuck did that came from?!”

“Canopy.”

“What? What do you mean, Canopy?”

“It’s from Canopy,” I answered, staring at Canopy. The lanky stallion was panting heavily as he clenched his teeth hard on what was left of his sword. How in the fuck did that happen?

Then I remembered who his opponent was. I slowly turned my gaze to where Canopy was staring. Buster was just standing there, his sword nowhere to be found. “Hey Buster! Where’s your sword?” I asked.

The apex hilly billy pointed a hoof at the roof of our barracks, his eyes still fixed at his opponent. Faust’s fat flank! His sword was sticking out of the fucking roof.

I noticed that the other trainees had stopped what they were doing as well. It seems that we were all astounded by the amount of skill and power at display here. Still the fight had ended as a draw. Or so I thought. The two were still eyeing one another. Canopy stared at his opponent like a wolf analyzing it’s prey while Buster had the creepiest smile on his face.

It took me a while before I realized one important thing. I wasn’t just looking at a fight between two incredibly talented initiates, I was looking at the fight between two of the most powerful Unicorn ponies among us recruits.

Then shit started to get real. Canopy’s horn began to glow a violent blue hue. Sparks of magic were beginning to fly off it. Meanwhile, Buster’s light gray coat changed to a metallic chrome color. So that’s why they call him Steel Fist.

Anyway, I knew shit was gonna hit the fan in a few seconds so I bolted away as quickly as possible. The others were too distracted by the pretty lights to do anything. I was the only trainee, aside from the hysterical Cucklord, that didn’t get injured that day.


The training routines had changed drastically during the past few weeks. The amount of PT we did decreased while the combat and weapon drills became longer and more intense. The boring shit we had to study during lectures were replaced by lessons on the basic physiology of the monsters and demons we might encounter. We were also given an in depth guide on the common organizational structure and terror tactics used by most cults. We were finally learning the real shit.

But keeping up with these training sessions is a bit hard for me since my sleep time had been drastically cut. Why? Because I’ve been assigned to late night fire guard duty for the whole month thanks to the fight between Buster and Canopy.

Sure I wasn’t involved, but the drill instructors somehow managed to reprimand me for doing something out of instinct. They said that I showed cowardice by running away and hiding in the barracks instead of staying and watching the fight. What the fuck was I supposed to do? Stay there and get second degree burns like the other initiates?

So there I was, standing guard at the fucking south wall. A spear in my wing and a tired look on my face while the cold breeze of early autumn blew into my face. Still beats a lengthy prison sentence.

Fucking DI’s,” I mumbled, trying to keep my eyes open while Canopy and Buster chattered about spells or some shit. They were still friendly with one another even after the incident. It actually brought them closer together as friends.

Anyway, their conversation was as boring as a dictionary. I’d kill to have Dusty accompany me here at the wall right now. Sadly, she sprained a hoof during yesterday’s training exercise and will be unable to walk for a while. That means I’ll have to bear with these two assholes for a while.

“What was that, Scoundrel?” Canopy asked. He and Buster were also given the same punishment as me. Except they got it because they somehow managed to break off the east section of the fort’s wall. I still don’t know why my punishment is on the same level as theirs.

“Yeah, waht's on y'all's maand, scoundrel” Buster asked me, a bit concerned.

“It’s nothing,” I replied.

“Hey, remember those pictures you got from your special somepony? Hey Wait! Where’re you going?”

“I’m going on over to the west wall.”

“Thay ...err west wall? But there is nawone thuurr?”

“Precisely!” I shouted back. “I’m gonna go guard that section of the wall. You two stay put.”

“I’ll come with you.”

“No. Stay where you are!”

I quickened my pace immediately after in order to avoid any more questions. Besides, if I stay there any longer I might’ve be tempted to do some crazy shit or fall asleep from boredom. A quick walk to the west wall should wake me up.

When I reached that section of the wall, I spotted five silhouettes walking in the darkness. I quietly dashed to a nearby barrel and hid behind it while I took a peek.

“And that… That is the damage done by the wonderful initiates training here in my fort,” One of them said sarcastically, pointing at what remained of the east wall.

Wait, I recognize that voice. It’s Captain Forthright’s. Who’s he talking to?

“Well um… it looks like nothing taxpayer money can’t fix,” the other pony joked in reply. From the tone of that voice and the slender figure of the silhouette, I say she’s a mare. “Lieutenant, please remind me to write a report about the wall when we get back to the castle,” she said, turning to a pony beside her.

“As you wish, Lady Twilight,” replied the other pony.

Wait did she just call her, Lady Twilight? As in, Twilight Sparkle, the Princess of Harmony.

“You there! Step out of the shadows now or face my wrath!” I heard the Princess’ aide call out. Shit. Shit, shit, shit, shit!

Then I remembered I was on fire guard duty and that I was supposed to be guarding the wall, though I am at the wrong side of it. I stepped out of my cover and stood at attention and looked at them with the trademark guard scowl. Doing my duty probably won’t get me hanged, right?

“Who goes there?!” I asked, pointing my spear at them.

“Sweet Celestia! Kid, you almost gave me a heart attack,” the fort captain exclaimed with a relieved sigh.

“Captain, please explain,” the princess’ aide ordered.

I already know who most of them are, but I still need to follow regulations. “Who goes there?!” I asked again, a little harder this time. They still haven’t answered my question and if they refuse to for a third time, I will be forced to take action.

“I am this fort’s commanding officer, Captain Forthright. Beside me is Princess Twilight and her personal guard,” the captain answered. “Stand down, initiate!”

Still, regulations say I can’t stand down until I got visual confirmation. Fortunately, there was a lit torch scone not far from where they were. “Step into the light, now!”

“What kind of dogshit is this?!” the princess’ aide asked with a very pissed tone. “Stand down now or I will fry you!” sparks then began flying out of her horn and it illuminated her face. Her opal eyes contrasted heavily with her dark orchid coat, and that eye scar of hers did well to make her more intimidating. But what struck me most was her horn. It was broken.

“Tempest, stand down!” the princess ordered.

“But-”

“He’s acting as expected of a sentry. Are you going to fry an initiate following the rules of engagement for dealing with unidentified individuals?” she interrupted. Lt. Tempest, the princess’ aide, stopped the flow of magic from her horn. I can still feel her glaring at me though. “Good. I’m glad we got that straightened out,” the princess added.

“I’m going to count to three. If you don’t step into the light, I will have to-”

I was cut off by the princess suddenly making the sky twice as bright. I almost fell back at the sight of the tall alicorn mare. Her eyes were glowing with magic and her horn was blazing with light. It was a sight to behold.

The night sky still wasn’t that bright at all, but it was bright enough that I could properly identify the five ponies. There was the captain, the princess, her aide, and two other royal guards wearing a silver version of the Solar Guard armor that had golden engravings in it.

“The princess doesn’t step into the light, initiate. The light steps to her,” Tempest said, her eyes still staring daggers at me. The tall mare was wearing a dark armor suit that looked very different from the standard Equestria pattern armor sets. “Now. Do stand down before-”

She paused when I dropped my spear and bowed down. “Forgive my ignorance, your highness, I was merely following the standard protocol,” I really don’t like making myself look like a remorseful wimp, but sometimes it can’t be helped. Especially if I might’ve actually pissed off an actual goddess.

“Was hiding behind a barrel like a pussy also standard protocol for you?” Tempest sneered.

I ignored her. “I ask for your mercy and forgiveness, Princess Twilight.”

To my surprise, the princess started laughing. Was I saved? Or did I somehow triggered her sadistic side and that laugh was an indication that I was going to die horribly? “Now why would I have to forgive somepony who was doing what was expected of him? You were doing your job were you not?”

“I-I was, y-y-our highness,” I haven’t stammered this hard in a long time. I kept my head down and avoided eye contact.

“Please, just call me Twilight. Or Lady Twilight if you feel that it isn’t formal enough,” she said. I raised my head and looked at her, she was in her normal state now. This was the first time I have ever seen an alicorn with my bare eyes. They really are as stunning as they say.

Princess Twilight was not just tall, she was huge. She dwarfed her two guards and aide. Hell, she’ll probably even make Canopy look short by comparison. And damn was she sexy. That long slender neck, those perfect curves, pretty purple eyes and her long silky mane made her look like the very definition of beauty.

“Stop ogling at the, princess,” the captain ordered politely.

“Sir, I apologize, sir!” I answered, standing up straight.

“Captain, who is this lowlife?” Tempest asked the captain. Lowlife was pretty tame compared to the names my drill instructor called me, so I wasn’t offended at all.

“That lowlife is the Penal Guard recruit, lieutenant,” the captain answered. “His name is Cloud Clipper, or Scoundrel, as his instructor likes to call him.”

“Penal Guard recruit eh. Tell me Scoundrel, what are you in for?” Tempest asked, no longer with eyes of hate but of curiosity.

“Smuggling.”

“Interesting. We’ve never had a smuggler in our ranks before.”

We?

Tempest pointed a free hoof at a badge pinned on the left side of her armor’s collar. It was the standard shield, horn, wings and star of the Harmony Guard, except there’s an iron chain ring around it. “I’m a member of the Penal Guard. In fact, the two ponies behind me are also members.”

I looked at the two stallions behind them, they were indeed wearing the same badge. “Nice armor you got there, ma’am. Will I get one as well?”

“That depends, initiate. Armor within our special units differ from unit to unit,” The mare squinted as she inspected me. “If you do good in the interview, you might join us, the Penal Guard Team 1, more commonly referred to as the Twilight Guard.”

Wait. The Princess is Guarded by a team of Penal Guards? Holy shit, no wonder the recruitment process is so damn complicated. And what’s this interview she’s talking about?

“What do you think, Tempest?” the princess asked.

“He’s a bit too short, but his wings are bigger than average. Odd…” she exclaimed. “Tell me, initiate. Are you good at flying?”

“I’m an average flyer, ma’am.”

“Then what do you have to offer to the guard then? You neither look tough nor intimidating.”

“Well, the fact that I haven’t given up despite all the shit you ordered those two to throw at me is still something, isn’t it?” ever since the first day, I’ve had the feeling that there’s a reason why the DI’s treated me like shit. That it was because they needed to train me to be harder than a normal guard. Now was the time to find out if I’m right. “You better tell those drill instructors to abuse me harder if you want me out of your program. Because at this rate, I’m going to pass it like a breeze.”

I got goosebumps as a smile crept up Tempest’s cheeks. She was a really tall and intimidating pony. “Indeed, initiate. Indeed,” she replied. I think that confirms it, I’m abused harder because I’m meant to join a higher class within the guard. “I’ll be keeping a close eye on you, initiate.”

The princess nodded. “I think we better move on with the inspection, Tempest,” she suggested.

“As you wish,” Tempest replied.

“Oh and by the way,” the princess said, staring at me. “You could take the night off and go to sleep. Tell your drill instructor that I ordered it to be so.”

I beamed as I watched Tempest and the Captain shot Twilight confused looks. “But your highness! That would undermine his training.”

“I have to agree with the, lieutenant. He may not like this treatment, but he needs this!” the captain said. What the fuck dude! I thought we were bros! But then again, he does want what’s best for us trainees.

“It’s just one night, Captain. It wouldn’t hurt him that much,” the princess replied. “Besides, I want him to be well rested and ready for tomorrow’s surprise.”

Surprise? I love surprises! “I beg your pardon, your highness?”

“You’ll have to wait and see it for yourself, initiate,” she answered before walking off with her entourage. “I’d go back to the barracks if I were you. You are going to need that extra sleep.”

The night sky went dark once more as I watched them walk away. My eyes were still plastered at the sight of her flanks though. The sight of them swaying left and right as she walked was divine. Those curves were just so damn fine.

Stop ogling at the princess!” Tempest shouted, her head turned back to face me. I bolted off before she could say another word.


As she said, the surprise did come the following day. We were all at the mess hall during that time when we were enjoying the so called food prepared by the mess hall. Seriously, only the ponies working at the mess hall had the ability to somehow fuck up and make an uncooked potato and half a pickle taste bad.

“Attention you pieces of dogshit!” Me and the rest of my squad turned to the drill instructors who marched in the mess hall. “We got a surprise for all of you good for nothing scumbags! Move out and form up outside! Now!”

We did as we were told and we all lined up outside in an orderly fashion. There we saw several covered wagons parked on the fort’s inner courtyard.

“What do you think this surprise is about, Scoundrel?” Lawbreaker asked me.

“I don’t know,” I answered plainly.

Just then, the assistant drill instructor walked over to one of the wagons and took off the cover with a quick pull of his hooves. Inside was what many ponies refer to as the thing made us guards, guards.

“These is the Model 1004 Harmony Guard Armor. The standard armor of the Harmony Guard!” our senior drill instructor explained, pointing a hoof at the armor sets stacked neatly within the wagon. This was one hell of a surprise.

The armor differed greatly from its Solar Guard and Night Guard counterpart. What set it apart was that it was designed to provide the greatest possible protection to its wearer. That meant that the armor covered everything from head to hoof since its wearers were expected to see actual combat unlike the other guards who just wore theirs for ceremonial and traditional purposes. Its design was actually more similar to the ancient armor of the Pre-Equestrian Knights than its contemporaries.

But despite all this, it was said the armor didn’t restrict movement and you can actually do jumping jacks and push-ups while wearing it. Though I found it hard to believe since these things must’ve weighed a ton.

“We’re giving these out to you now so that we could begin training you all about proper armor maintenance as well as to prepare you for a life entombed in this glorious shell of steel!” She turned to her assistant and nodded. “Corporal, you may proceed.”

“Step right up as I call your name!” he said, taking out a clipboard and a quill.

I felt a cold chill run up my spine as I stared at one of the armor sets. The blackness within the visor was unsettling. So was the fact that when we wear this, we will become the faceless brutes of her highness. Her favored tools when dealing with demonic apparitions, eldritch abominations, and cultist scum.

For the first time since accepting the offer, I asked myself. Was I really ready for this responsibility?

“By the way. You maggots will be paying for your armor set and uniforms once basic training is done!”

Motherfucker.

Author's Note:

There are a lot of things I want to talk about.

First of all. As I said before, there will be no canon x oc romance in this story. But that doesn't mean characters like Cloud, wouldn't be mesmerized by Twilight's beauty. Especially since she's in her primal alicorn form now. He will act like a perverted cunt at times, but he won't pursue her as a romantic interest. Their relationship will be strictly professional.

Secondly. It was stated in the previous chapter that it was already autumn. I changed that. As of this chapter, autumn has just arrived. My writing kinda got messed up since I live in a tropical country and I am not familiar with the way the four seasons work.

Thirdly. The next chapter will be the finale of the training arc. After that, I will take a short break to refresh my mind. But don't worry, I'll return after one month to continue my work.

Finally. Thank you all for your support. I never thought this little experiment of mine would actually gain this much traction.

That is all, have a good day! And remember, feedback is always appreciated.