• Published 7th Aug 2011
  • 3,257 Views, 35 Comments

A team effort - remsaman

  • ...
6
 35
 3,257

Chapter 3: Surviving, Together.

I looked at the cover of the book. Even though it was blank, except for words, I was amazed at everything the book had taught me, and i had Twilight to thank for it. It was the afternoon, and I had just finished making Justin and I lunch. After washing the dishes, and cleaning up, i went outside to collect the mail from the local mailmare.
Nothing much, just fliers for local business, yet another party invitation from Pinkie Pie, and a letter for Justin.

I walked inside, spinning Justin’s letter through the air at him like a ninja star. He caught it in his mouth, and proceeded to tear it open.

“Awesome, my subscription to DJ-Pon3 has been received!” He was pumping his hooves in the air mouthing a silent ‘YES!’

I laughed a little, and put the invitation on the pile. That was the eleventh invitation we had received in the past 2 days, apparently every pony in the town wanted us at their parties.
I proceeded to sit down and doze off, only to be woken by a large knock on the door.
I sluggishly dragged myself to the door and opened it up, Two royal guardponies and twilight sparkle were standing there, twilight with a stern look on her face.

“I’m afraid you two will have to come with me” She said it as if we weren’t friends.
“What is it this time, twilight?” I questioned, i didn't really want to be dragged out of the house for no reason.

“There has been another assassination attempt against the princess, and you two are the main suspects.” She sounded serious.

I was very shocked to hear this, as i had seen the princess days beforehand, covered in blood.

“Hang on, ill go get Justin” I walked upstairs to go wake up Justin, they didn't follow me, i guess they didn't need to.

I opened the door to his room, and saw him lying on the bed, facing away from me, listening to music with his MP3 player. I walk over to him and yank out the headphones with full force.
He screamed a little and fell off the bed.
Twilight suddenly appeared next to me

“Hey whats taking so lo- PFFFFFFHAHAHAHAHHAHHA” She fell on the floor laughing.

Justin quickly got up and walked over to the door.

“So whats the problem?” he asks, trying to sound more manly then usual.

“You two will need to come with us, don't worry your house will be left as it is. and if it isn't you, then you will be reimbursed.” She stated, sounding more official then usual “We will give you 2 minutes to pack your things, before we will need you to get on the chariot to canterlot.

Justin didn't question her, and packed MP3, some food and his spare jacket.
I grab my backpack, and place twilight’s book in it, along with the picture of fluttershy and her feather. When we reached the exit to the house, each guardpony searched our bags for any weapons at all, and when they found none, they returned them. Twilight however, spotted Fluttershy’s photo and feather and questioned it.

“Where did you get these?” Twilight asked, sounding like she was accusing my of something.

“Fluttershy gave them to me..” I blushed.

Twilight narrowed her eyes and frowned “If i find out that you did anything to her-” She was interrupted by a yelling from the distance.

“NOOOOOOOOO!” Fluttershy burst from the bushes, tackling Twilight with full force, pinning her to the ground. “I wont let you take him away” her eyes were almost tearing up.

“Fluttershy, please.” Her horn glows as she levitates Fluttershy off. “I don't want to do this as much as you, but if its to help save princess Celestia’s life, i haven't got a choice.”

“Twilight.. I know he didn't do it, i just know!” Fluttershy was shouting, one thing that twilight didn't even think was possible. “He.... He wouldn't.... COULDN'T!” She was in tears now, I didn't know that she cared that much for me. I was almost in tears myself.

After a few seconds of silence, save for the sound of tears hitting the ground, Twilight finally motioned for the guards to take us onto the chariot, while she stayed behind to comfort Fluttershy. I picked up my bag and threw twilight an earth encyclopedia, which i had previously signed as a thank you for the equestrian version twilight wrote. She caught it using her magic and gave me a nod. I dropped a tear as the pegasus ponies fly us towards canterlot.

_____________________________________________________________________________


Once the chariot landed in canterlot, Justin was left outside while i was forcefully taken to the princesses court, for the second time. There, the princess was sitting once more on her throne, She was not covered in blood, but had a large gash on the side of her face. Her look wasn't of malice, anger, hate nor concern. It was a look of confusion. She spoke.

“Why must you two mock me, in these times of fear and concern?” Her voice was not as caring as it was last time.
“E-excuse me princess, but whatever do you mean? And, may i ask, why is there a huge gash mark on the side of your face?” I questioned, hoping it would not lead to either of our punishments.

“The last time we spoke, you both said you had no idea of any assassination ploys. But as you can see from my face, I’m questioning the validity of that statement.” Her voice becoming stern.

“Princess, I assure you we both have had nothing to do with any assassination attempts.”

“Oh really, then how is it that you so quickly found about our ways?”

“That would be thanks to the effort of a miss ‘Twilight Sparkle’” I reached into my backpack and brought out the book she had so carefully written. The princess took the book and sent out a letter, within moments another letter appeared with a puff of green flames.
Once she read the letter, her stern face was replaced with one of a caring, benevolent ruler.

“I am truly sorry for this, and for any pain it has caused you. I will ask my guards to-” She was interrupted as Justin burst into the room

“HE’S DEAD!” He shouted while mumbling inane words to himself.

Me and princess celestia were both stunned in shock, before she broke the silence between us

“Who’s dead?” her voice was very worried.

“I don't know, but i think the guards said that his name was “Silver Shield” His voice became more worrying by the second.

“What... happened...?” Celestia was unusually worried.

Justin didn't reply, but instead rose his hoof to a stained glass window close to celestia’s throne.
We both turned our heads to see a spear, twice the size of a pony, piercing the window and a guard’s head, I was trying as hard as i can not to throw up. Princess Celestia had soundproofed the room so nopony could listen in, which is why we didn't notice straight away. Justin broke the scary silence.

“Red.. Unicorn.. like in the forest when we arrived Rem...” he was shuddering enough to shake even the sturdiest table.

“Red unicorn?” Celestia had a surprised look on her face “This is worse then i thought. Did you get a look at his flank?”

“Yes... It was a black hood with a knife in the background”

“Oh no.. Stone wall?” Celestia called one of her guards

“Yes princess?” A grey pony wearing golden armor revealed himself

“Call the royal glass-blowers, i need shatter proof glass installed.”

Stone wall took one look at the scene and nodded. Princess Celestia once again apologized to us and her horn glowed. A flash of light, and we were back at our house, with a basket of muffins with an apology letter ribboned to the top. We looked at each other and with a solemn nod, i grabbed the basket and we went inside.



______________________________________________________________________________

I couldn't sleep that night, the images of both fluttershy crying, and a guards bleeding head haunted me. If that guard wasn't standing there at that exact moment, Celestia would be dead.
My mind went back to fluttershy, she was so worried... about me... Did she even know my name? I didn't even care anymore, all that mattered to me right now was that she was safe.
As the thoughts of the guard left my mind, and fluttershy replaced them, i fell asleep just as the sun was coming up.

I awoke around midday, after getting no nights rest whatsoever. I opened my eyes and looked at the ceiling for a while. I got up, put on my hoodie, and went downstairs, Justin was still asleep.
I ate one of the apples in the fridge and went to go sit on the couch. But to my surprise, the couch was already taken. Fluttershy was sleeping on the couch hugging the encyclopedia i gave twilight when we left. I couldn't wake her up, it didn't feel right. I lay next to her and gave her a little nuzzle. Then i fell asleep next to my very first love.

I woke up again, this time it was only around an hour later, with fluttershy still by my side. I pulled an extra blanket from the cupboards and draped it over her. I made two sandwiches, and put one on a plate next to Fluttershy’s head. After i finished mine, i headed out. I had to talk to Twilight.

When i reached the library, it was empty(like usual, for a library anyway.). Twilight was busy reading more books. I knocked on the door frame to let her know that i was here. She jumped and almost screamed. I laughed.

“Oh, its you. I take it that the meeting went better then expected?”

“Actually no, she almost got assassinated. again.” I was confused, as i thought the princess told her everything.

“WHAT? You didn't?”

“No. A red unicorn with a black hood+knife cutie mark tried to launch a spear at her head, they didn't succeed, but they killed a guard by the name of “Silver shield” in the process.”

Twilight was horrified, but eventually pulled herself together, eager to change the subject.

“So what can i do for you?”

“Im here to give you this” i retrieved the encyclopedia from my backpack, and hand it over. She took it and read the title. Her eyes immediately widened as she used her magic to re-shelf all the books thrown around the library. She placed the encyclopedia on a small pedestal and opened it up.

“Oh boy you would have no idea how long i was waiting for fluttershy to hand it over, you know... She seems to like you.” She winked, I just blushed. “She really cares for you, more then any of her animals..” her eyes painted with sadness as she starts to read, starting from the anatomy of a human.

I couldn't think of a reply, i just sat there in silence before turning for the door.

“Oh, and Remy?”she asks. I turn my head

“Don’t worry about Celestia, shes the princess. I’m sure she can handle herself.” She smiled.

I left, but princess Celestia was the last thing on my mind.

_____________________________________________________________________________

I got home, Justin was still asleep, Fluttershy was gone, the blanket returned to the cupboard, the sandwich eaten. There was a thank you note on the desk with 3 hearts drawn on it. She really was a kind mare.

I smiled to myself, it was very nice of her to wait there until i woke up. I found myself blushing.
After a few minutes, Justin came downstairs, finally. I fixed him up some food and after, we went around town for a while. I got a job at Sofas and Quills, hired by a pony by the name of Davenport. We needed the bits, as the amount the princess gave to us was not enough to sustain us for an extended period of time. Afterwards, we went to sugarcube corner, so Justin could stock up on more baked goods. I bought Justin another comic book and told him to go home, because i had to do something. He was more then happy to, rather then be dragged around town all day.

I arrived at Fluttershy’s hut around half an hour later. The sun was setting and the animals were going into their coops. I knocked on the door, only to be greeted by a hulk-grade hug, and a crying pony. She wouldn't tell me what was wrong, but i guessed that it was what happened the night before. I hugged her back and held her for a while, embracing the moment.
When she finally calmed down, she let me inside and we both sat down on her couch. All her animals were outside(even her pet rabbit, angel) because she didn't want them to hear her cry.

She explained to me, with tears in her eyes, that seeing me being taken away was one of the worst things that has ever happened to her. even worse then when she was bullied in cloudsdale. Feelings i didn't even know existed in me unlocked. I felt pity, and sadness. I hugged her harder then she had hugged me. The sun set as we held each other in our arms.