• Published 17th Dec 2018
  • 570 Views, 30 Comments

Hearth's Warming Helper - Lunaverse - Talon and Thorn



In order to try and simplify their Hearth's Warming shopping the Lunaverse Mane 6 decide to have a Hearth's Warming Helper so they only need to get one present each.

  • ...
2
 30
 570

Lyra (Talon and Thorn)

“~Hi Honey I’m home~” sang Lyra as she entered the home she shared with Bon Bon via the back door. As she had expected there wasn’t a reply, the industrial kitchen her mare friend used to make most of her goods was as clean and tidy as it had been when she’d left a few hours ago, but there was the sound of a comotion from the front of the building where the actual shop was.

Quickly dropping her shopping off upstairs in the apartment she shared with her marefriend Lyra headed towards the sound. As she opened the door she was struck by the heat and sound of almost a dozen ponies crammed into the small shop front. Bon Bon stood on the near side of the counter filling out orders as fast as she could, trying to keep up with the stream of ponies entering the store, all of whom apparently wanted to be served at once.

With a sigh Lyra trotted over to her lover and leaned forwards to give her a kiss on the cheek, Bon Bon didn’t even glance at her, although her white coat didn’t entirely cover her blush. “There you go, one super sized milk chocolate selection box,” she said continuing to serve her customer as she passed over a large wrapped package. “How did the shopping go, dear?” she said turning partially towards Lyra while keeping one ear trained on her next customer.

“Got everything on our list, and I put in that bulk order for the ingredients you wanted, your dad will deliver them first thing tomorrow morning. He reminded me that he’s expecting us on Hearth’s Warming morning. Your mom’s threatening to help with the cooking if we’re late. We better leave some room after dinner through ‘cause my dads are expecting us in the evening and I’m sure they’ll feed us as well.”

“Thanks, honey. I don’t know what I’d do without you. I’ve never seen things so busy before. There you go, one bag of marzipan bites.” She handed over a bag to the next pony in line and accepted the offered bits.

“That’s just because all your stuff is so great,” said Lyra levitating a lump of fudge from a pile and popping it in her mouth. Bon Bon gave her a mild glare but carried on serving. “Me and the girls decided to do a Hearth’s Warming Helper this year so I only have to get one present for them, we’re exchanging them all at Trixie’s party tomorrow evening,” she added.

“Tomorrow evening? What about the Ponyville Small Business Ponies party?” asked Bon Bon sharply.

Oops, thought Lyra she knew she’d overlooked something. “You don’t want me interrupting your shop talk, do you? Trixie’s thing won’t last that long, we can meet up again after and spend the night together.” she suggested nuzzling up to Bonnie. Lyra wasn’t all that keen on the PSBP, they tended to spend all their time talking shop, literally and figuratively, she found most of it fairly boring, Bon Bon seemed to enjoy it though.

“I guess so,” said Bon Bon accepting the physical contact for a moment before gently pushing Lyra aside to continue her work. Who did you get in the hearth warming helper? We have those in White, Dark and Milk chocolate,” she informed the next customer.

“Carrot Top. I’ve got just the gift in mind for her, I’m going to write her a song!”

“Uh, huh,” said Bon Bon, sounding rather distracted. “Could you do me another favour first?”

“Sure Bonny, what do you want?” It certainly looked like Bonny could do with a hoof dealing with the horde of customers.

“Could you deliver those?” she nodded to a large pile of parcels behind the counter. “My normal delivery pony didn’t turn up.”

Lyra looked at the pile of wrapped gifts. One of Bon Bon’s ideas to increase trade had been to allow ponies to put in orders to be delivered to their homes , for a small fee so they didn't have to drag their purchases around town. “Sure.” she checked the labels, she knew most of the names. “Actually it’ll give me a chance to talk to some ponies about Carrot Top, maybe it’ll give me some inspiration about what to write!”

“That’s nice dear - That will be 10 bits - see you later,” said Bon Bon without turning.


Lyra gritted her teeth as a strap dug into her flank for what seemed like the thousandth time. The parcels had been more than she could easily carry in her aura so she’d been forced to commandeer the cart which Bon Bon occasionally used to transport her supplies. However, her fillyfriend was rather shorter and more huggably plump than she was, meaning that the worn out old bridle attached to it didn’t fit well. She was gland that one of the parcels sitting around the fire at home contained a brand new set of tack she’d bought Bonny.

She didn’t often pull vehicles so Lyra had built up quite a lather by the time she’d dropped off her first few packages. Levitating the next package off the cart and carefully reading the tag she turned to the right taking the path straight towards the library. She hummed as she went trying out another tune in her head. Her idea of composing a song for Carrot Top had seemed a good idea an hour or so ago but it was proving to be harder than she’d planned. Starting a piece wasn’t too difficult but finishing it was harder, as the many half completed tunes on her desk at home attested.

She came to a halt looking up at the snow covered branches of the library tree, it looked particularly picturesque with decorations and garlands covering many of its branches, even the bee hive had a small wreath above the entrance. The library’s door was shut against the cold but the sign hanging on it indicated that it was currently open to the public. Lyra considered for a second before deciding it was more trouble than it was worth getting unhitched. Instead she used her aura to give the door a good thump. It was several minutes before there was any response.

“We are open you know,” said Twilight a little peevishly as she opened the door. “Oh, Ms Hartstrings!”

“Happy Hearth’s Warming,” announced Lyra with a smile. She felt a bit awkward, she hadn’t spent all that much time with the new librarian since she’d moved into town. “I figured you’d prefer it if I didn’t drag the whole cart in.”

“Well, yes,” said Twilight, “what brings you here?”

“I’m your delivery pony for the day, I’ve got your order from Bon Bon.” She picked up the relevant parcel and levitated it into the library where Twilight stood.

“Thank you. Since I tasted Bon Bon’s fudge I just can’t get enough of it! So I thought I’d treat my me and family to a selection box.”

“They’re one of my favourites as well.” It was a shame Bonny had to sell it to other ponies, she would have been happy to eat it all herself.

“I should be careful, I don’t get as much exercise as I used to, I’m going to get fat!”

“I’m sure I can talk Trixie into letting you out a bit more to burn off the calories.”

“She did mention I should try the regime Raindrops is putting her through, but I don’t really think training to fight is my thing. Maybe I could help out on one of the farms or something?”

“I’m sure Carrot Top could use a hoof come summer,” said Lyra.

Twilight smiled. “I think I’d like that. When I first moved in her she left me with a gift basket of her produce. It was delicious.”

“Yep, that’s Carrot Top for you, always willing to help anyone who needs it.

“She doesn’t come to the library that often but we’ve talked a few times about pest control, it’s quite a fascinating subject you know. She’s made me feel right at home here, a true friend to all ponies.”

“Ooh, that might work,” muttered Lyra, humming a quick bar.

“Sorry?” Twilight's brow furrowed.

“Oh, I’m writing a song about Carrot Top, and you’ve given me an idea.” Lyra wished she had some parchment with her to scribble her thoughts down.

“A song about her?”

“It’s a present for the holiday!”

“That’s an interesting idea, very different, all I normally get are books, jewelry and land.”

“Land?”

“My mother got me a few villages near Trottingham last year, I visited them once, they’re quaint, but she really only got them for the baronettehood which went with them.”

Lyra tried to stop her eyes bulging, her idea of a present certainly didn’t match Twilight’s. “I better head off now, I’ve got a lot of presents to deliver.”

“I need to finish decorating, my parents are arriving soon!” said Twilight in an excited tone.

“Really?” that was news to Lyra, normally having a viceroy visit would be the talk of the town.

“They’re trying to keep it low profile. Just them and a few servants,” explained Twilight.

“I hope you have a lovely time,” said Lyra as she started to heave the cart away.


“Why thank you, Darling,” exclaimed Rarity as she accepted her order from Lyra. “My parents really are quite partial to these treats, as are one or two rather useful contacts in Canterlot.”

Lyra nodded there weren't many ponies who had anything bad to say about Bon Bon’s wares, at least not in her presence anyway. “How’s business?” she asked politely.

“Holiday sales are more or less what I expected. Ponies like to dress up at this time of year, much of it is practical wear against the weather, woollen hats in particular it seems, not very imaginative, but it pays the bills. However, the party season is also in full swing which allows much more exciting options. Is there anything you or Bon Bon require?” asked Rarity floating a catalogue out of the beautique and over to where Lyra and her cart were standing.

“I think we’re fine thanks,” said Lyra flipping through the pages. It wasn’t like her wardrobe was bulging but she had everything she needed, she even had a few outfits just to perform in. “Wait a minute is that Carrot Top?” she exclaimed looking at one of the pictures in the book.

“Why yes, she most generously volunteered to model some of my works. She was somewhat apprehensive at the start, but I think she got into the feel of it.” She flipped through a few pages showing Carrot in a range of outfits. “If she ever decides to give up on the farming business I’m sure she could model full time. She's more, well, healthily proportioned than most professional models but I think that makes the outfits hang more realistically, and her mane is perfect, so much volume and bounce, and the colour! Of course the photographs don’t show colour, but you just know it’s there. Oh I really am quite jealous.”

Lyra had to admit that Carrot did look good when she put some effort into it, not that she every looked doudy. Her friend was rightly quite proud of her looks. “Sorry Rarity, I don’t think me or Bonny need any clothes at the moment.”

“Maybe something a little more... intimate for a present?” asked Rarity slyly. “I have an ‘after dark’ catalogue as well. Rather better quality than what you can get in the Hardware and Lingerie shop, if I do say so myself. I do socks,” she looked aside for a moment to see if anypony could overhear them, “bridles, saddles,” she whispered. “The service is very discrete.” She levitated a second thinner catalogue over.

Lyra was momentarily curious as to whether Carrot Top had modeled for this one as well, but she quickly put the thought aside. There were some limits to what she wanted to know about her friends. “It’s tempting,” she admitted, “but I’m afraid I’m in a bit of a hurry at the moment. So much to deliver.”

“I understand darling,” said Rarity standing back. “But if you are ever interested you know where I am.”


Eventually Lyra’s delivery route took her out of Ponyville itself and into the farms that surrounded the settlement. She was very glad that she only had a few more stops. By the time she made it to Sweet Apple Acres, her hooves were aching.

The Acres looked picturesque under its covering of snow, but even at this time of year there were a number of ponies working on it’s various crops. Lyra spotted her target running one of the work groups. “Hey, Applejack!” she called.

The orange mare looked up. “Oh, hey Lyra. We don’t normally see you ‘round these parts.”

“I’ve got your delivery from Bon Bon,” she said nodding her neck towards her cart.

“That’s mighty kind of you,” said Applejack trotting over. “Granny Smith just can’t get enough of those fancy truffles your marefriend makes.” She picked out several large packages from the cart.

“Still busy up here?” asked Lyra nodding to the workers.

“Farming don’t stop just ‘cause it’s winter. There’s always something needs doing. It’s not a one mare job.”

“Some farmers manage it by themselves,” said Lyra looking towards Carrot Top’s farm just over the fence. Smoke was rising from the chimney, so it’s owner was probably home, maybe she should pop in on her way past?

“Golden Harvest is much smaller than the Acres,” said Applejack sounding a bit put out. “Still you got to admire Carrot’s gumption. She might not always be rightheaded but she certainly puts her all into her work. Wants to follow her family's legacy. Ah can respect that.”

Lyra was a little surprised by the sentiment, she knew Carrot considered Applejack to be something of a rival but she’d often thought that the Trust pony hardly noticed her fellow farmer, unless she got directly in her way.

“Yep, anypony who puts as much effort into her work as she does is alright in my book. Her crops are first rate and she’s always ready to lend a hoof to anypony who asks, and some who don’t too. Maybe she’s a bit too keen, some folks could do with toughening up rather than always asking for help. She might have a few strange ideas, like that union thing, but I think her heart’s always in the right place even if it’s not always running along with her brain. Now if she’d just put aside some of her pride I’m sure she’d have a bright future with the Trust!”

Lyra blinked, that hadn’t gone where she’s expected. She wouldn’t really call Carrot all that prideful, but she really doubted she was ever going to join the Apple Trust.

“Well, I can’t just stand here all day yappin’,” announced Applejack looking away from Carrot’s farm. “I got work to do. Thanks again for the sweets.”

“You’re welcome!” called Lyra as she turned her cart around rolling her eyes as she did.


The sun was starting to set by the time Lyra reached the last stage of her journey, delivering to the smaller farms which ringed Ponyville. The first stop on her way was Green Grape’s vineyard. The whole place was blanketed by a thick layer of snow but the house itself was brightly lit and looked warm and welcoming. As she approached she hammered on the door and after a few minutes Grape himself opened it.

“Evening lass!” he called cheerfully, “Happy Hearth’s Warming.”

“Same to you, I’ve got your order from Bon Bon’s.”

“Thanks,” he said accepting his package. “You should come in for a drink, it’s freezing out here!”

“Love to," with the setting of the sun the temperature was starting to drop even further, "but I’ve still got a few deliveries to make before it gets dark.”

“Whose left?” he asked.

“Boxxy, Banana and Acorn.” It wasn’t many, but their farms were spread out, she easily had another hours work before she could head home.

“They’re all here anyway! You can just leave the packages with them. I won’t take no for an answer!” He started to help her unstrap herself from the cart and grabbed the contents of the cart before opened the door to the house. The interior was packed, there must have been almost three dozen ponies there drinking and eating and socialising. Maybe a little too much, it wasn’t entirely clear if Lily Valley was nuzzling at Banana Split’s neck, or had just passed out against him.

“You’re having a party?” Lyra asked as the door closed behind her.

“The Farmer’s Union Hearth’s Warming party!” exclaimed Grape passing her a steaming tankard of mulled wine which she happily accepted.

“I didn’t know this was happening!”

“It was Carrot Top’s idea, she thought we should all have a get together to celebrate the year.”

Lyra glanced around the room. “I don’t see her here,” she said.

He sighed. “She dropped off some food this morning then said she couldn’t make it, said she had too much to do!” Wasn’t that just like Carrot Top, thought Lyra. “It’s a shame, we wouldn’t all be here if it wasn’t for her. Not just here at this party, still working as farmers. If it wasn’t for the money she got to refit the farms I swear some of us might have gone under this year.”

“Aye,” said Red Onion, “I have to admit she’s helped us all this year. She might not be the best of farmers, but she’s certainly put all she’s got into this community.”

Lyra was rather surprised to hear those words from Onion’s mouth, she’d understood that Red wasn’t exactly friends with Carrot. She suspected that the empty tankard in Onion’s hoof might explain her current feelings. “She’s a good friend,” she said. “I’m planning to write a song in her honour. She and the other element bearers are meeting up for a party of our own tomorrow.”

“That’s nice,” said Grape, “She’s been a good friend to all of us. Always willing to lend a hoof to somepony in need. Hey!” he yelled, the background chatter quieted. “I’m proposing a toast! To Carrot Top, although she can’t be here tonight. To Carrot Top, one of the finest farmers in Ponyville!”

“To Carrot Top!” came a cry as all present raised their glasses. Lilly followed a few seconds later blinking in surprise before slumping to the ground with a giggle.

“Actually it’s a good thing you’re here,” said Grape. “We all put a little something aside and got Carrot Top a present. I was going to drop by later to deliver it, but you can save me a trip.”

“Sure, where is it?” asked Lyra.

“I think she’ll love it,” said Grape pointing towards an unusually shaped parcel leaning against the wall.


It was dark by the time Lyra had made it back home and carefully stored the cart in it’s shed behind the candy shop. She was glad to return to the warmth of the upstairs flat that she and Bonny shared. The gas used to power Bonny's kitchen meant that the house had some of the most up to date heating in town.

“How did it go, dear?” asked Bon Bon as Lyra entered the living room. Her mare friend was lounging on the plush but battered settee. “You look exhausted!” she struggled to stand.

Lyra had to agree, she really wasn’t used to so much physical labour but her marefriend looked just as tired. “You’re the one who got up before dawn to work on today’s treats and then spent the whole day on your hooves!” Really she didn’t know how her marefriend managed it day after day. “I bet your hooves are aching.”

“Like you wouldn’t believe,” sighed Bonny slumping back into the seat. “Why don’t you join me?” she asked moving aside a bit.

It was a very tempting offer but Lyra had to get down the music and words in her head before she forgot anything. There were so many ponies who were thankful for Carrot Top, she needed to get down all their kind words. “Give me a bit of time, I’ve got to work on Carrot’s song for tomorrow.”

“How’s it going?” asked Bon Bon as Lyra pulled out a quill and paper and sat at the piano which took up one corner of the room.

“I think I have most of it down now, I just need to polish it a bit and rehearse.” She then proved she was able to multitask by using her magic to manifest several sets of ethereal digits which proceeded to gently massage her lover’s throbbing hooves. “Oh, that’s good!” moaned Bonny as she melted into the chair. “Have I shown you how much I adore you recently? Once you’re done maybe we could unwrap one of your present’s early?” She fluttered her eyelashes. “I bought it from Rarity.”

Lyra grinned, this was going to be a great Hearth’s Warming.

Author's Note:

For Lyra I know from the outset what present she was going to give, a song just made sense to me so I decided to make a bit of a tour of the side characters in Ponyville as well as looking into her previous stories a bit and seeing what she means to the town. Hopefully people will actually enjoy the story she puts together in the end.

As always comments are always welcome.