• Published 17th Dec 2018
  • 560 Views, 30 Comments

Hearth's Warming Helper - Lunaverse - Talon and Thorn



In order to try and simplify their Hearth's Warming shopping the Lunaverse Mane 6 decide to have a Hearth's Warming Helper so they only need to get one present each.

  • ...
2
 30
 560

The Party (Talon and Thorn, RK Striker JK 5, Rainbow Double Dash and Rixizu)

‘Twas the night before Hearth’s Warming, when all thro’ the residence
Many ponies were partying, enjoying their decadence
Their dollies were hung by the chimney with care
Much to the excitement of each present giving mare

“Happy Hearth’s Warming,” cried Trixie as she welcomed the last of the guests to her party.

“Sorry I’m late,” said Ditzy brushing a sprinkling of snow from her wings. “I had to make sure Dinky was settled in at the foals party at the town hall.”

“No problem, if you have to leave to pick her up later just go. Raindrop’s has to leave for work in a bit anyway and Lyra has plans with Bon Bon.”

“I should have a few hours at least. I brought these!” she said holding up a baking tray full of muffins.

“They look great, put them with the rest,” Trixie gestured to a table set up by the door which was covered with a mixture of edible treats, and a good selection of drinks as well.

Ditzy trotted over to it and, after a moment's consideration, poured herself a shot of gin before topping it off with what Trixie considered an over generous amount of tonic. The grey mare took a sip of her drink and sighed. “It’s good to get a chance to relax occasionally,” she said taking another sip. “Oh,” she reached into her saddlebag and retrieved a small grey plushie with an untidy mop of yellow wool on it's head. “I remembered to bring this,” she passed the Hearth’s Warming doll to Trixie who levitated it onto the ledge above the fireplace where it joined representations of the other element bearers. Trixie admired her work for a moment, it had been her idea to ask everpony to bring their own doll, it made them seem like a family.

She looked around the room and smiled. She’d spent quite some time decorating her living room to make it as festive as possible and with the fire burning bright it was comfortingly warm compared to the cold outside. Her friends were gathered in groups around the room. Lyra was sprawled on the settee chatting with the newly arrived Ditzy who had taken up a seat next to her. Cheerilee, Carrot Top and Raindrop’s were standing to one side, the school teacher had apparently just told a joke judging by Carrot Top’s giggling, even Raindrops was smiling.

Trixie took a moment to drink in the ambiance, despite all the things, many of them bad that had happened to all of them in the year since they met each other it was good to know that they could all spend time together like this, just enjoying each others company. “My fellow element bearers!” she called out levitating her glass in the air. The talking died down. “My friends. I’m glad that we could all make it here today. Hearth’s Warming is the celebration of the three tribes putting aside their differences and working together to become something greater. Looking around here I see such a mix of different ponies. A year ago there was no way I would have thought that I would have been friends with a school teacher, a mare wise beyond her years and always ready to help her students, young and old. Although the less said about her shady past the better.”

“Who told you about that!” exclaimed Cheerilee looking shocked, “I’ve been a regular flutterpony all my life.” She grinned. “Well maybe I’ve been more like a Tartarus spawn once or twice, but only when asked!”

“Or a skilled potion maker,” continued Trixie ignoring the interruption, “and farmer who made most of the fantastic food we’ve been eating all night.” She levitated up a carrot stick and dipped it in mustard before popping it into her mouth. “Délicieux!” she exclaimed making Carrot Top blush. “A pony who lends a hoof to anypony who needs it.”

“Or the strongest, but most gentle pegasus I’ve ever met.” Raindrop’s looked away a mumbled an embarrassed thank you. “A mare who, despite her tough exterior, shows how much she cares about her friends in her every action.

“Or a postmare who shows a mothers love to not only her own adorable foal but to everypony who needs it. Who knows and is respected by everypony in town, but still managed to deliver me a bag full of Apple Trust correspondence!” Trixie concluded pointing an accusing hoof at Ditzy.

“That was only once!” she exclaimed, “and they got the postcode wrong!”

“Or," continued Trixie turning to Lyra, "a magical minty mare who plays the most beautiful music I can imagine and will go to any lengths to help her friends when they need her. If she can be bothered to get out of bed!”

“But it’s so cold out at the moment!” moaned Lyra, “and Bonnie’s bed is so warm and snuggly.”

“And,” said Cheerilee, “none of us could have imagined that we would be friends with somepony so obnoxious and full of herself," her voice softened, "but who’s trying so hard every day to be a as good a friend as she can be. Some pony who can truly be described as great and powerful.”

“Well, um, thanks,” said Trixie her voice sounding a little wobbly. All of them raised their glasses into the air.

“To us, to Friendship!” toasted Cheerilee.

“To Friendship!" echoed everypony.

“Anyway,” said Trixie levitating her hat from her head using the movement to disguise her using a hoof to wipe her eyes. “Now onto the part of the evening you’ve all been waiting for,” She withdrew a brightly wrapped parcel from the hat. “The presents!”

Trixie had meticulously folded the wrapping paper around her gift to Lyra, and folded the bow around it with precision that Twilight Sparkle might have envied. But ever since then she hadn’t been able to resist touching it, turning it over in her hooves and flicking idly at the bow. Part of it was just that she liked to keep her hooves busy when she had something in them, but part of it was nervousness.

Or something like nervousness, anyway. The Great and Powerful Trixie, apprentice of the Princess Luna Herself, did not get nervous! But she could feel...trepidation. Yes, that was the word. Trepidation at the thought of whether or not Lyra would like her gift. Friendships could be made or broken over gifts, after all. Lyra has never liked how Trixie had used to try and help her out financially over the belief that Lyra needed the help, as a struggling musician, until her fellow unicorn had finally sat Trixie down and shown her that not only did Lyra not need aid, but she actually made more bits per year than Trixie, and had a much lower overhead to boot. Lyra might have actually been the wealthiest of the six of them.

And what had Trixie gotten her for Hearth’s Warming? A second-hoof book. Worse, a second-hoof book about lyre music. What if Lyra thought it stereotypical? Took offense to the idea that Trixie didn’t know Lyra outside of her music? Would she believe that Trixie had tried to get her a hat but Rarity had been sold out? Or worse, what if Lyra has been the original owner of the book?! Or...

“Uh…” Lyra’s voice came. Trixie started a little, and saw The mint unicorn staring at her. “So...at the risk of sounding greedy…”

Trixie recovered quickly. “Of course!” She proclaimed, lifting the gift in her aura and holding it forward. “Your present!” She set off some illusory fireworks. Figments and ghost sounds always hid trepidation.

Lyra was by now more than used to her quirks, and only smiled as she took the present in her own aura, using her hooves to tear open the paper and bow. Her eyes widened a little at the cover of Timeless Tunes for Harmonious Harps & Legendary Lyres.

“Do you like it?” Trixie asked, shifting one hoof to another nervously. “I mean, if you already have it...or if you’d prefer something else that wasn’t music related, I did try to get - ”

“I love it,” Lyra said, casting aside the wrapping paper and opening the book, running a hoof across the music sheets inside, each accompanied by a history of the piece and it’s meaning and significance. She looked up at Trixie. “I’m guessing this is the one on sale at the library? I was eyeing it, but trying to get Twilight to reasonably price a book…”

Trixie stopped herself from letting out a sigh of relief. “No problem,” she said, and smiled. Finally, a straightforward win for her. “Happy Hearth’s Warming,” she said, hugging Lyra.

“You as well,” Lyra said, returning the hug. She laughed a little when she drew back. “It’ll be great to read this with the new gramophone I got Bon Bon yesterday going in the background, I actually grabbed the last one in town, I think, right after we met up…”

Trixie was a mature pony, and so kept her reaction to that to just a single hind-leg buck to the floor.

“So, who goes next?” asked Lyra looking around.

“How about you? Whoever gets the present gives their’s next?” suggested Trixie.

“Works for me,” said Lyra moving over to her bags.

“What happens if the pony who gets the present has already given out a present?” asked Cheerilee.

“We can sort that out when it happens,” said Lyra waving a dismissive hoof. “So I got Carrot Top,” she turned to the mare in question. “I’ve actually got two presents for you. This one’s from the Farmers union,” she levitated over a long thin parcel with a bulge at each end. “I bumped into Grape and the rest of them yesterday. You really should have found some time to go to the party, they’re only together because of you.”

“Well, I was busy...” mumbled Carrot quickly taking the parcel in her arms and starting to tear the paper off with her teeth. “It’s a tree!” she exclaimed. “A peach tree,” she frowned for a moment before her face took on a rather forced smile. “I’ll have to thank them when I next see them, I love peaches.”

Lyra measured Carrot’s rection for a moment then shrugged, that was between Carrot Top and the other farmers. “Right, now on to my present.” She took up her Lyre holding it in her front legs and leaned back onto her haunches. It was almost a pity that she hadn't gotten the book from Trixie earlier, she might have been able to adapt one of the tunes in it. Still she was quite proud of what's she'd written, she just hoped Carrot Top liked it.

“A Lyre?” exclaimed Carrot Top in surprise, “but I can’t play!”

“Quiet you,” said Lyra with a chuckle. “I’ve composed a song for you. There are so many ponies all around town who appreciate you. I bumped into some when I was out and about and they inspired me to write this.” She began to strum.

Are you going to Carrot Top’s farm? Lyra intoned.
Lettice, Carrots, Potatoes and Peas Lyra’s gaze flicked to Carrot, she wasn’t actually sure what her friend grew apart from Carrots, they were basically just a mass of green from her perspective.
She tends the goodies that grow there
She is a true friend to all ponies

Carrot Top stood transfixed her eyes wide as she drank in the song. Around her the rest of her friends started to hum along.

Have you seen her beautiful mane?
Lettice, Carrots, Potatoes and Peas
Glowing hair of orange stain
She is a true friend to all ponies

Are there any who doubt her faming prowess?
Lettice, Carrots, Potatoes and Peas Cheerilee and then Trixie started to sing along.
Even her rivals respect is boundless
She is a true friend to all ponies

Have you seen the union she’s made?
Lettice, Carrots, Potatoes and Peas
All can follow their green hoofed trade
She is a true friend to all ponies

Are you going to Carrot Top’s farm? The whole group joined in with the final verse
Lettice, Carrots, Potatoes and Peas
She tends the goodies that grow there
She is the truest friend to all ponies

“So, um,” Lyra cleared her throat. “How’d I do?” she asked, “some of the rhyming scheme’s a bit ropey and-” she was interrupted as Carrot Top pulled her into an earth pony rated hug.

“I loved it!” she exclaimed. “Nopony has ever written a song about me before! I don’t know anypony who has!”

“Well actually,” butted in Cheerilee. Lyra raised an eyebrow. "I guess they were more like limericks than songs,” she admitted.

“In the new year I’m lined up to get Scratch to help me get it recorded, I’ll get you a copy and you can listen to it whenever you want.”

“I know a place where you might be able to get a gramophone, if you don’t have one,” said Trixie, a little bitterly.

“I guess it’s my turn now?” asked Carrot Top looking around the assembled ponies. She pulled something colorful from her mane. “It’s not as beautiful as your song Lyra, but I hope you’ll find it useful Ditzy.” She turned and passed the object to the pegasus.

Ditzy peered at it curiously. It appeared to be a small booklet made out of card and coloured paper, to be honest it looked like something Dinky might had made in arts and crafts at school.

“It’s a book of vouchers,” explained Carrot Top almost vibrating with nervous excitement. “Each one is a favour I’ll do for you.” She took back the book and started to flip through it. “Like look after Dinky for a night, if you ever, well... need a night to do something,” she blushed a bit. “And this one's for me to make a potion for you, and this one’s to help sort out your garden, and this one... well there’s a lot.” She began to falter. “I know it’s not exactly a real present and I’d do most of it if you’d just ask, and you might have preferred an actual thing rather than a bunch of ideas-”

Carrot Top was silenced as Ditzy places a hoof over her mouth. “It’s perfect Carrot,” she said. “Thank you. All these ideas, all these things you’re willing to do for me.” She stepped forwards and hugged the earth pony. “It’s all so very you!”

“We’ll you know, I had some ideas...” said Carrot Top bashfully.

“It’s perfect! I’ve been meaning to tidy up the grass behind my house for years now, but I’ve never had the time and I always need a foalsitter. I can’t just keep asking Sparkler.”

She stepped back. “Thank you again. So, it’s my turn now, I got Raindrops.”

Ditzy walked over to Raindrops. She held the carefully-wrapped book under her right wing, while the gift given to her from Carrot Top was carefully tucked into a saddlebag. “Here you go!” she said, smiling. Both eyes were focused on her fellow pegasus as she held the gift out. “I think you’ll like this one!”

Trixie turned her head, she took a sip of bourbon before speaking. “Quite confident there, Ditzy!”

Raindrops leaned to her left. “I’m sure I’ll like whatever it is, Trixie.” She straightened up and took the package from Ditzy. “Thank you very much, Ditzy.” She held the package in front of her with her wings and ripped the wrapping paper off. Raindrops’ eyes widened as the book cover was revealed. “‘The Countess’ Conquests’? In hardcover?” She looked up at Ditzy. “This is so awesome!” She hopped up and down, giggling.

Ditzy smiled. “I’m so glad you like it.” She trotted over to Raindrops’ flank, extended a wing, and flipped the front cover open. “Ripped Bodice had an autograph session at Quills and Sofas.” She pointed at several sentences scrawled onto the inside front cover. “She’s very friendly, and even remembered you’re the president of this Everfree Province’s fan club.” She looked up at Raindrops and winked.

Raindrops blushed. “She’s good to her fans.” She wrapped a wing around Ditzy and pulled her in for a hug. “Thank you again! This is one of the best Hearth’s Warming presents I’ve gotten!”

Ditzy leaned into the hug. “You are very welcome.”

After a few moments Raindrops broke away from Ditzy and turned towards Cheerilee. “Here, I got this for you.” She said, taking a red envelope from within her feathers.

“Oh?” Cheerilee took the envelope. She broke the seal open with a hoof.

Inside was a cute gift card. Two cartoon rabbits were on it, snuggling against each other in a hole during a storm. It read in colourful stylized letters, “You help me weather the worst storms.” Cheerilee opened the card to find a cardboard card inside. It was a 20 bit gift card for Lingerie & Hardware in Ponyville.

“Really?” Lyra said with disapproval. “Where you too busy to find anything nice? This is Hearth Warming! I’d hope you’d put more effort into it!”

“I don’t know,” Carrot Top said. “Lingerie & Hardware is a nice shop. Cheer is sure to find something she likes there. A new spade, maybe?”

Raindrops looked down and blushed. It seemed like a good gift idea at the time. She decided to not tell everypony about that evil mirror she bought for Cheerilee before she got the gift card. Raindrops didn’t want to think about the thing again, worried what would happen if she did. Part of her still felt the thing calling to her. The mirror scared her, and she’d even had some sleepless nights over it. Some things were best left forgotten.

“Hush you!” Cheerilee chided. “I think it’s a thoughtful gift! Thank you, Raindrops.”

"I guess," Lyra replied, "it is the thought that counts I suppose.”

Cheerilee leaned in conspiratorially. "Besides, there is this lacey number I’ve always wanted to get there. It even comes with a saddle!”

“Sure.” Raindrops said not sure how to reply to that one. As usual, silence was golden.

“So saving the best for last?” said Cheerilee looking around at all the other mares. “Well I got Lyra as my pony and I just got the perfect gift for her.” She trotted over to her bags and started to lever a parcel from them.

“Hey! Wait a minute, Lyra?! What about me!” exclaimed Trixie. “I haven't got a present yet!”

“Huh, you’re right, I guess there must have been a mix up with the notes in your hat,” Cheerilee shrugged. “Maybe next year?”

“But... but...” stuttered Trixie pouting.

“Just kidding!” exclaimed Cheerilee turning and presenting Trixie with a box wrapped in blue and white paper.

Trixie stared at it for a moment before grabbing it. “The Great and Powerful Trixie was not fooled for a moment,” she grumbled. “This better be a really good present,” she said ripping the paper from the box. She held it up in front of her examining the writing on it. Hey Candle stick! This stuff is really good, and rare! I mean, it’s not bad... not real Neigh Orleans Bourbon but fairly good.” She hugged the box possessively.

“Bourbon!” exclaimed Raindrops. “I really don’t like that stuff.”

“Don’t listen to the nasty mare Monsure Bourbon,” exclaimed Trixie running a hoof over the box. “The rest of you who appreciate his charms can have a shot.” She carefully opened the box and took out the bottle before using her magic to carefully extract the cork. She took a deep sniff of the liquid. “Yeah, that’s the good stuff!” she sighed before levitating several glasses over and carefully pouring out a measure into each of them.

“No planning to save it for a special occasion? Like Corona’s defeat?” asked Cheerilee as she accepted her drink.

“Now seems plenty special to me,” said Trixie. “Thanks very much for this,” she said taking a sip. “How did you manage to get your hooves on it? I wasn’t joking when I said it was rare.”

“Well,” said Cheerilee, “There’s a story behind that. It’s a story of travel, kidnap and a Hearth’s Warming miracle...”


Once the presents had been given out and everypony had eaten and drunk as much as they could the party finally began to wind down.

“I’m afraid I’ve got to go,” said Raindrops, “this snow won’t clear itself you know.”

“I always liked that as a foal,” said Lyra a little dreamily, “waking up to see that the snow was gone knowing that the Windigo had been driven away for another year.”

“Yeah, it is nice, but it’s a lot of work,” admitted Raindrops.

“I better go and get Dinky as well, it’s about time to put her to bed,” said Ditzy levering herself out of her chair a little unsteadily. Quite a collection of empty glasses had built up by her.

“One last song?” asked Lyra striking a cord on her lyre.

“The Heart carol?” suggested Cheerilee.

“I was thinking about ‘The closing of the year’”

“Ooh, I like that one,” said Trixie, “it, well, it seems appropriate, what with Corona out there.” She glanced over at the mural which made up one wall of the room depicting the battle between Princess Luna and her sister.

“Hey,” said Lyra standing and resting a hoof on Trixie’s shoulder, “don’t worry, we’ve got Luna and the Elements. We’ll find her eventually, and sort everything out.”

“I guess so,” said Trixie as Lyra began to play.

If I cannot bring you comfort, began Lyra.
Then at least I bring you hope
For nothing is more precious
Than the time we have, and so

We all must learn from small misfortune, sang the whole room joining together hoof in hoof
Count the blessings that are real
Let the bells ring this Hearth's Warming
At the closing of the year
Let the bells ring this Hearth's Warming
At the closing of the year

Up off your knees and breathe the sweet air, cried Ditzy and Raindrops their voices intertwining
Run through the woods with a friend in hoof
Silver bells ring out through the morning
While we race to the castle over there

If I cannot bring you comfort
Then at least I bring you hope

Now all the winter bells are ringing
Hear them echo through the snow
And the children's voices singing
On the street so far below
This is a time to be together
And the truth is somewhere here
Within our love for all things
At the closing of the year

We'll walk in a light, sang Cheerilee her gaze moving from friend to friend
With all of the pain, said Raindrops
And all of the patience, added Ditzy
All of the way
And all of us right, cried Trixie
And all of us same, sang Carrot Top
Love one another
We'll fly in the wings of Time
Walk in the waves, never fall
Don't fall
(At the closing of the year)
At the closing of the year

If I cannot bring you comfort
Then at least I bring you hope
Then at least I bring you hope

As the last of the music faded away Raindrops hugged each of her friends before opening the residences door and stepping out into the darkness beyond lit by the many lights of Ponyville.

Raindrops sprung to the sky, to the weather team gave a whistle,
And away they all flew, like the down of a thistle:
But her freinds all heard her exclaim, ere she drove out of sight-
Merry Hearth’s Warming to all, and to all a good night.

Author's Note:

This chapter was written by all of us, I wrote the outline and then each author wrote the section with their character handing over their present.

As always comments are always welcome.

Comments ( 6 )

Merry Christmas, one and all!

nice.

This make me think.How does Corona pass Heart Warning's Eve?

A great ending, Merry Christmas, all!

9364715
That may well be answered in next year's story, only 365 days away

Nice ending, Merry Christmas everyone.

Maybe a bit too late to say this but Merry Christmas everypony.

I loved the story and the characters how they were portrayed. Well here hopes for another wonderful year. :twilightsmile:

Login or register to comment