• ...
1
 245
 727

A Cousin Calls

Apple Bloom got back in from school and wandered upstairs to her room. Quickly flicking on her PC, she felt her phone suddenly vibrate. She went to check it, and saw it was a news alert. Quickly checking it, she was amazed at the headline.

Students restore electric engine and drive it to New York.

Bloom's eyes opened wide. "What the?" she asked, as she clicked on the video.

"And this was the spectacular moment that a passenger train arrived in Grand Central Station, pulled by an engine not seen in nearly 30 years. The machine, Pennsylvania Railroad GG1 no 4859, was last seen running in 1979, but today pulled a nonstop train from New Orleans to New York City. We go now to interview the driver.

The footage suddenly cut to an interview. Apple Bloom gasped when she saw who was being interviewed.

"Ma!" she called. "Babs is on the National News!"

So, Miss Seed, what gave you the idea to restore the engine?"

"Well sir, our flight was called off due to snow and the roads were blocked. But you can always rely on the railroad to save the day."

"How hard was it to get the engine working again?"

"It was tough, as we had to replace some parts in the traction motors which were corroded due to age. But we had help. Veteran engineers got the engine running again."

"Former Pennsylvania employees?"

"Yep. Without them we'd still be stranded in N'awlins."

"So there you have it. A truly incredible story, work against the odds, and a girl who is truly a credit to us all."

Apple Bloom switched to contacts, and called Babs Seed.

"Heya Babs!" she said. "Ah was wantin' to know somethin'..."

Author's Note:

Well, another story over. What did you guys think?