• ...
1
 245
 727

The Greatest Showman

Babs seed woke up, as was her custom these last few days, to a glorious New Orleans morning. The sun reflected off the buildings with intensity and might, and the snow made for a beautiful scene on the ground. It was certainly much happier than when she had last been here, as that had been the last holiday before she had been bullied.

Immediately her heart filled with sadness, remembering those times of horror and heartbreak, as those boys had more or less destroyed her self-confidence and made her a bitter, loathing individual who, put simply, was convinced the entire world was against her. And given the Principle and her own family didn’t take the issue seriously, it certainly seemed that way.

But then that trip to Canterlot had changed everything. The friendship and happiness gained there had shown Babs that, far from being unwanted, she was indeed loved by her family. That in turn had made her a much happier person, and here she was now, leading the East Coast Crusaders forward. They were living proof that they wouldn’t let bullying get them down. They would continue onwards, letting nothing get in the way of who they were meant to be.

Feeling considerably happier, Babs went and showered. After breakfast, she and her friends, along with the rest of the tour group, headed for the Jazz National Park.



The Jazz National Park sits on the riverfront, near where the Natchez docks. As they walked along the quayside, the Calliope started up on the steamboat. And what should it be playing other than-

“It’s playing the Thomas and Friends theme!” exclaimed Featherweight.

“I didn’t realise that existed in that form!” Silverstream exclaimed.

“Forgive me for not knowing,” Raindrops asked, “but how exactly does a Calliope work?”

So, Babs explained.

“A calliope is basically a fancy organ. It works by blowing steam through a series of whistles which are tuned to different notes.”

“As you can hear there,” Tender added, “the whistles need regular tuning, or else they go out of tune.”

“Some of them,” Babs continued, “are run off of card systems, similar to fairground organs. But this one is controlled by a conventional organ keyboard, which makes it a little easier to operate.”

“It sure is noisy!” Silverstream added.

“Sorry?” asked Raindrops.

“I SAID IT IS VERY NOISY!” shouted Silverstream.

“I’m sorry, I can’t here you, the Calliope is too noisy!” Raindrops replied.

“Stop it, you two!” called Featherweight.



After winding through some more streets, they took their seats and saw the pianists walk on and sit down at the partially dismantled piano.

“Good morning!” he called cheerfully.

“Good morning!” everyone replied.

“My name,” he replied, “is Richard Scott. I’m a local piano player, and regularly perform in the local bars and clubs. I’ve been asked to give you all a talk on the history of Jazz and Ragtime.”

He paused. “Who here plays a musical instrument?”

Multiple hands shot up, and he took particular interest in one.

“Hey,” he said, “that’s the girl who played that night at Preservation Hall!”

“How did you know?” Babs replied.

“You’ve been the talk of the town’s musicians for the last few days!” Scott replied.

He turned back to his piano. “The origins of jazz in New Orleans go back into antiquity, but we shall first focus on ragtime, the name which a lot of jazz musicians used for their music at first.”



He played a few pieces, and explained how they fed into each other, which caused most of the students to nod off, except for 5 of them. It was then he had an idea.

Walking over to them, he suggested something. “What if we were to play a more recent piece that shows these aspects?”

“We’ve got some Joel memorised,” Babs said.

“Perfect!”



They assembled on stage, setting up the guitars, drumkit and piano. Featherweight got the microphone tuned and ready. Babs looked behind her. “We good?” she asked.

“Yup.”

“Ready to go!”

“Ready.”

“Let’s wake them up!”

Babs nodded. “One, two, three, four!”

The students were suddenly shaken awake by the sound of a piano and harmonica, and they saw their classmates playing on stage with confidence and gusto.

Then came Featherweight’s turn to sing. He really brought the house down.

“Sing us a song, you're the piano man!
Sing us a song tonight
Well, we're all in the mood for a melody
And you've got us feelin' alright!”

They clapped and cheered when they had finished. But no sooner had that happened, then Babs put down her guitar and sat at an electronic keyboard. As the first chords of ‘The Entertainer’ sounded from Featherweight, suddenly the sound shifted to a synthesised beat as an altogether different ‘Entertainer’ started up.

“I am the entertainer

And I know just where I stand

Another serenader

And another long-haired band

Today I am your champion

I may have won your hearts

But I know the game, you'll forget my name

And I won't be here in another year

If I don't stay on the charts”.

The audience was stunned at the power and confidence in Tender Taps’ voice, as he enthusiastically strummed out the chords and blasted out the lyrics, accompianed by a wonderfully confident band.

Then as they reached another verse, Featherweight and Silverstream suddenly went wild.

"I am the entertainer

I come to do my show

You've heard my latest record

It's been on the radio

Ah, it took me years to write it

They were the best years of my life

It was a beautiful song

But it ran too long

If you're gonna have a hit

You gotta make it fit

So they cut it down to 3:05!”

They closed off the song in spectacular form. But there was one to go, and boy was it different.

Babs stepped up the mike, and signalled the band for a classic Rock n’ Roll number.

“You shake my nerves and you rattle my brain
Too much love drives a man insane
You broke my will, oh what a thrill
Goodness gracious great balls of fire.”



To say jaws dropped would be an understatement.

“Well,” Scott smiled, “that concludes things. I hope you enjoy the rest of your trip.”



They returned to Jackson Square for the afternoon. Tender was minding his own business, having got his lunch at a nearby café, when suddenly a piece of paper landed on the table, crudely crumpled up and generally looking very messy.

Tender heard some laughter from nearby, and saw some of the other boys on the tour snickering. Sighing, he unrolled the piece of paper, and his eyes widened when he saw what was on it.

It was an exceptionally crude depiction of him and Babs doing something that we cannot discuss in a T rated story.

On the one hand, he was of the mind to report this to the teachers. But on the other hand, he wasn’t convinced that getting worked up over this was worth it. Besides, he did like her, just...not like that.

He wrote on the piece of paper, “WHY WOULD YOU CARE?” He then tossed it back to them, not thinking twice about it at all. He then went on to finishing his sandwich.



Babs and Raindrops, meanwhile, were looking around the park where Babs had accidently ended up on the first day. The Mississippi river was impressive at any time of year, but in winter with the ice floating down it, it looked especially scenic.

“This is a beautiful city, don’t you think?” asked Raindrops.

“Yeah, but the music and the food is the best!” Babs answered.

“Yeah, the South is always great for food,” Raindrops laughed. “But the streetcars have been great as well. Hard to believe we only have one full day left, isn’t it?”

“Well, if the WWII Museum is what it claims to be, it’s seriously good.”



Babs’ danger sense suddenly went into overdrive. Glancing to her right, she saw a group of four men approaching with spray cans.

“Raindrops, we gotta go!” she said.

“Why?”

“See those four men?” Babs asked.

“The ones with spray cans?”

“Those spray cans are loaded with shoe polish. It’s a scam I read about on TripAdvisor where they cover your shoes in the stuff!”

“What good does that do?” Raindrops asked, confused.

“Where’d you get those shoes?” one called.

Babs just grabbed Raindrops’ hand, pulling her back toward the streetcar line. They crossed just in time as the barriers dropped. Bas pulled out her camera, and filmed the streetcar rolling past.



Later that evening, the group returned to the hotel. Tender came up in the lift and walked back toward his room when suddenly he collided with Babs.

“Sorry, I didn’t see you there!” he said.

“What did you do?” she asked. “I’ve been asked repeatedly if we’ve been...doing it.”

“Well, some boys threw an obscene drawing at me, which I threw back. Besides, I’m pretty certain that’d be illegal.”

“With the words, ‘Why would you care?’ written underneath,” Babs answered. “Now everyone thinks were datin’ or somethin’!”

“Why does it matter to you?” Tender asked.

“Look,” Babs said, “sorry for gettin' so worked up. I guess it’s just because...”

“Do you like me that way?” Tender asked again.

“Wait? What, no!” Babs answered.

But much like her cousin, it was blindingly obvious for all to see that Babs was a terrible liar. The red cheeks and awkward glances were more than a giveaway in that regard.

“So, you do like me.”

Babs gave up. “Yeah, I do.” There was a deafening silence. “So, given that everyone thinks we are...”

“You wanna make it for real?” Tender waited for her answer. “But what if it doesn’t work?”

“We can be friends again, in that case,” Babs replied. “But...will you be my boyfriend?”

Tender smiled. “I feel the same way for you Babs. I’d be honoured to have you as my girlfriend.”



What came next caught him completely off-guard.

Babs leaned forward, and kissed him, their lips locked for what felt like hours. Tender had never been kissed by a girl before, and the memory would never leave him. His mind went haywire with emotions, his heart surging with happiness as he experienced emotions he’d never felt before.

He liked-no, he loved Babs Seed. And he never wanted that to end.

But alas, it had to. Babs pulled back to give Tender a chance to breathe. “That your first time?” she asked.

“Yeah. But it felt great!”

“Me too!” Babs grinned. “Hopefully we can do it more.”

Tender thought for a moment. “As the old saying goes, ‘the first girl you kiss is always the sweetest, and the first battle you fight is always the toughest’.”

“Where’d ya get that one from Valentine?”

“It’s an old USAF saying.”

They were so happy, simply gazing into each other’s eyes, they didn’t notice somebody sneaking up behind them.

“Looks like I was right!” he shouted.

Babs and Tender broke in shock, and looked at the voice. Or rather, the person to whom the voice belonged.

“I always knew you weaklings stayed together, but it won’t be long till yer goin’ to bed with one another!”

Babs looked absolutely furious, but Tender stepped in the way before she could blow a fuse and do something she’d regret.

“That’s not called for!” he shouted. “It would be illegal for us to do anything like that. The consent age in New York state is 17.”

Their tormentor began to falter. “B-but-”

“Besides, the drawing you sent me would certainly make the teachers interested, given the contents. You wouldn’t do well out of me telling them, would you?”

He was lost for words, but Tender pushed his advantage.

“Besides, why should you care if I love Babs or not? What’s it to you?”

He leaned in his face. “Compensating for something, are we?”

The bully simply roared in his face. “DAMN YOU TENDER TAPS! You will regret this!” and he scarpered.



Babs was amazed. “That was great! I’d probably have just floored him, but you scared the crap outta him!”

“I was getting sick of him too,” Tender replied. “Hey, see you tomorrow. We’re going ship hunting!”



Babs relaxed in her bed, happier than ever before. For she knew that she had friends at her side, but that also she was in love. A love that she hoped would endure as long as she lived.

Author's Note:

Fun fact; that scam is real. I was very nearly a victim of it when in NOLA.

I believe this is the very first TenderSeed (BabsTaps?) story ever. If there are any others, feel free to correct me.

Stay tuned for tomorrow!