• Published 2nd Dec 2018
  • 253 Views, 0 Comments

The Worth of One - DouglasTrotter



A little donkey named Soapbox learns that every creature, even the smallest have power inside of them.

  • ...
 0
 253

Chapter 2

Over the distant hills, crept above the horizon. Clouds drifted on the gentle wind that brushed against the trees. Just beyond Ponyville, the school bell remained silent in the early morning hours of the summer day. Sunlight beamed through the windows of a house on the outskirts of the quaint village. Through three small windows, the sunlight caused a small object to stir beneath the white sheet on top of a bed, and two hooves pushed the white sheet away.

A small, tan colored donkey squinted for a few seconds rubbed his eyes, and then peered across his bedroom. He climbed out of bed. Soapbox gazed into his mirror. He sighed. "How juvenile."

One pit stop made in the bathroom, the crudely drawn mustache removed from his face, Soapbox headed downstairs where he pulled back a chair. His namesake placed on the ground as a step, the little donkey seated himself at the dining room table.

Several waffles floated onto his plate with a quick kiss planted on his forehead.

"Remember what we discussed last night, Soapbox. You will go outside today, correct." a mare said in a tender, motherly tone. Her kind smile faded. A dark blue aura surrounded her horn. The book in her son's grasp floated away. Bright Spark received an expressionless gaze in return for her action. The unicorn mare squinted, and then said, "As a great philosopher said --"

"To become whole, one must fill themselves with both knowledge and experience." Soapbox said, rolling his eyes. His gaze gravitated towards the plate in front of him.

"Here, I got some fresh fruits from the market. Those Apple ponies had quite a selection. This one tastes like I picked it straight from the tree myself." Bright Spark said. Her magical aura dissipated from the apple slices, each one landing on Soapbox's plate. She levitated several cleaned plates into the kitchen sink then turned around. The mare planted a firm kiss on her husband's cheek. "Ok, honey. Good luck at the meeting."

"Thanks. It's going to be one Tartarus of a day. Spitfire has been riding our tails to come up with more aerial maneuvers and formations for her Wonderbolt performances. That mare never lets up, even for a moment." Sky Flare said. His sturdy wing glided against the duffle bag's zipper. The stallion's right wing latched onto the bag's handles. He let out a quick groan. "Hey, Soapbox. You up to a one-on-one rematch today?"

Soapbox maintained his silent, expressionless gaze towards the plate on the table.

"You know 'Soapy,' you shouldn't be so down in the dumps." Highlight said. The slender, young, earth pony mare giggled. She rubbed a quick, gentle hoof against her brother's mane. She placed a ticket near Soapbox. "Front row seat, as usual. I hope you can make it to the show tonight. Same goes with you two as well."

"We'll be there, that's a promise. Right, Soapbox." Sky Flare said.

Soapbox chewed his last bite of food, nodded to his sister, and grabbed the small box near his chair.

At the door, the little donkey reached for the cord that dangled from the handle of the doorknob lever. The cord snapped, its end falling onto his head.

"Thanks..." Soapbox said. A gust of wind raced by him. The silhouette of a pegasus stallion faded into the distant horizon. Another gust of wind breezed by. Hooves pounded against the dirt. Highlight raced towards the train station, her voice trailing off. "..."

Bright Spark trotted up behind Soapbox. She placed a firm hoof on her head, sighed, and shook her head. "She's quite the starlet on the stage, but I swear that daughter of mine couldn't keep time if I glued a clock to her flank. O well, we all have our faults."

Soapbox grumbled.

"Let me remind you Soapbox 'D' Spark," Bright Spark said in a gentle, yet stern tone, "I 'want' you to take today for some free time, ok. That means your eyes shall not be firmly planted on the page of a book, scroll, tome, or any form of literature." She said. The unicorn mare closed the door. "It would be wonderful if you actually met some ponies to chat with in Ponyville. Did you need something?"

"The time?" Soapbox said.

"It's half-past eight... o dear. I guess I better head to class and get things started." Bright Spark said. A flash of light enveloped the unicorn mare. The brilliant color drained from her mane, changing from its vibrant hue to an ashen grey color. Her body grew, her legs lengthening as she grew three hooves taller. The mare's body color turned to a dark blue hue. "It's no fun to use the amniomorphic spell to change my appearance. I'd be nice if I could have at least one day of fun to teach those unicorns at Princess Celestia's school without being 'Tome' to them."

"Your voice?" Soapbox said.

Bright Spark cleared her throat and illuminated her horn. The mare placed a gentle hoof on the little donkey's head, rubbed his mane, and then vanished.

Soapbox turned toward the house. He walked forward. His hoof pressed against the wooden door. A small note fell onto his forehead. "Figures she'd place a spell on the house, and it even has a timer. Wonderful."

The little donkey placed the note underneath his crate. He turned away from his house.

Once silent voices grew louder. Above the scattered clouds, the sun crept along its course. The first day of summer break kicked into high gear as eager fillies and colts ran, galloped, trotted, and walked along the streets of Ponyville.

Stallions and Mares sauntered along the street outside Tap's restaurant and eatery. Three jovial fillies darted by the window towards Saddle Drive Avenue, each carrying a sack of bits with them.

Soapbox, once inside the restaurant, placed his box on the ground. He hopped onto the barstool then laid two bits onto the counter. "I'll take some lemon tea, please."

"Hey. Been a while." The mare behind the counter said. She poured a tall glass of lemon tea. "How's your mom doing anyways? She never stopped by this weekend."

"Sorry. I don't know, ma'am." Soapbox said.

"O come now 'Soapy,' there's no need for 'ma'am' or 'misses' with me. I'm just your good ol' auntie Tap." the mare said. Her wing brushed against an iced-tea drink, the cool refreshment pushed towards the patron in front of her. Tap gave a slight wink. "Don't go causin' any trouble. Got more than my hooves can handle with that darn Coracoid pegasi group in town for the -- hey, featherbrain! Ah'm gonna warn you only once. You break that mug and you'll be diggin rocks outta your teeth for a week!"

"Sorry, Tap." A pegasus said, shying away from the mare behind the counter.

"Anyways, tell that brother of mine I said hello. He needs to come by and settle our hoof-wrestling score. I'm 21 and 21 with him, and I'm not about to let him get the upper hoof on me." Tap said. She eyed the note underneath Soapbox's crate. The mare extended her wing and pointed the tip of it at the note. "O ho, I see. Kicked out of the house, again. Wow, this makes it, what, the third time?"

Soapbox glanced his left side, "Seventh."

"Nice. Well, I'm not about to get in the way of your mother. That mare could take on all of Tartarus and Equestria put together if she has the guts to marry my brother. Listen, not to be rude here, but why don't you go sit outside. I need to keep an eye on this group. Also, please bring the others when you stop by every now and again. I like the company." Tap said. She scooted the little donkey outside with a gentle wing, placing the two bits back into his bit sack.

Ponies trotted by the small eating area outside the restaurant, coming and going as they pleased. The same three fillies that once galloped by the restaurant dashed down the street with a wagon behind them. One of them pointed toward the distance, saying they needed to bring their supplies to the club house.

The note from his mother placed on the table, Soapbox leaned back in his chair and peeked out from underneath the umbrella above him. The little donkey's gaze focused on a grey pegasus, with a bubble cutie mark, that flew towards a cloud house in the distance. He watched the clouds drift. The sun began to peak out from behind the cloud. Soapbox's withers twitched. He leaned forward. Though he focused his gaze on the drink in front of him, his withers continued to twitch. Soapbox placed a firm hoof on his namesake, causing the twitching to stop.

The noise faded. Soapbox lifted his hoof up and leaned forward, prepared to take a sip of his drink.

"..."

"Look out below!" a voice said.

Several equines in the vicinity scattered. Tables and chairs were upended. An umbrella flew towards the castle in the distance.

As the dust settled, Soapbox's eyes crept open.

"Ouch," Soapbox said. He coughed a few times and tried to stand up. He rubbed a small injury on his left front leg. "Ow."

"Geez, that was a simple loop-de-loop stunt." A pegasus pony said as she descended toward the area.

"Hey, give me a break, Rainbow. I still need to study the maneuver." A pony said.

Soapbox looked up. His heart pounded within his chest. The little donkey's eyes darted around. Under a hushed breath he said, "No. No, no, no. Where is it? Where is it? Where is it?"

"Twilight, you need to 'feel' it in your wings. It's not something you just study." Rainbow Dash said.

The two ponies looked at the little donkey

"I'm so, so sorry. Are you ok? You're not injured, are you?" Twilight said, quickly getting off him the little donkey. She reached forward. The injured donkey in front of her backed up. His withers twitched in a violent manner while a mortified expression came over his face. The pony retracted her hoof. "It's ok. I'm not going to bite. Hey! Don't run off."

"Yesh, he's more skittish than Pinkie Pie when she needs her 'you know what' after Nightmare Night." Rainbow Dash said.

"I heard that!" a voice said, resonating across Ponyville.

"How does she do that?" Rainbow Dash said. The pegasus pony plucked a small piece of paper off her friend's head. "Soapbox. I'm not too happy with your trick to get back into the house last week. With this shield around it, you'll be forced to get out and enjoy yourself. Also, you little sneak, it's on a timer. No more getting in when you please. Enough studying. Go play with some of your classmates and talk with some ponies in Ponyville. Love, Mom."

"Kinda know how that feels to be inside all the time." Twilight said. She brushed herself off. "Ok let's get moving. Wait. Where is it? No, no, no, no! Where's that letter?"

Rainbow Dash sighed. "What letter? You've been really weird since I nabbed you for this morning's practice, Twilight."

"The letter from Princess Celestia. I didn't have a chance to read it since you foalnapped me this morning." Twilight said, her eyes darting about. She bolted towards several points within the nearby area. "Where, where, where, where is it?! Nooo. It has to be somewhere. Wait, did that little donkey take it?"

"Probably stuck to his hoof. I'll go get em'." Rainbow Dash said. She turned. The pegasus chuckled. "I gotta admit, he's pretty fast for a little guy."

Rainbow Dash zoomed into the air. All of Ponyville below, her eyes locked onto the target. She powered forward. Two wing flaps later, Rainbow Dash arrived at her target. The pony let out a guttural groan.

Twilight landed near her friend. "Isn't this his... umm, box?"

"Little snot pulled a fast one on me. I hate being tricked." Rainbow Dash said. She covered her nose, "Geez Twilight, shower much?"

"Hey I showered. Phew. That's some strong lemon." Twilight said.

Rainbow Dash's nostrils flared. She bolted forward. Her hooves reached under a small market stand. "Gotcha! We just want the, letter? Grr!"

"Lemons." Twilight said. She shook her head at the mare behind the cart. Several ponies trotted by. One moment passed, and then another. Twilight pointed a subtle hoof behind her. In a soft voice she said, "Psst, Rainbow, think you can nab 'that' one real quick."

"Two seconds flat." She said, whispering to her friend. After flying into the sky, Rainbow Dash went into a power dive. "Now we got you!"

"He's not here?" Twilight said, flying towards her friend.

"Smooth move, egghead. Wait," Rainbow Dash flipped the container over, "you little sneak. Listen. Hey, don't jump!"

Soapbox leapt out of his hiding spot. He dove towards a tree. His back hooves thrust against the tree's midsection. Soapbox flew towards the ground, curled up into a ball, rolled on the dirt and came to his hooves. The little donkey bolted towards the crowd.

"Rainbow, wasn't that one of your moves?" Twilight said.

"No way, that's one of Aerial Ace's maneuvers I learned from flight camp. Where did he learn to do that one? Heh, shame he can't fly. That was awesome." Rainbow Dash said. Her ears lowered, "Fine, we'll get your note back."

Ponies whizzed by.

Twilight and Rainbow Dash weaved through the crowded marketplace. The two ponies continued the pursuit. The two became four, and then six. All of them spread out amongst the crowded market of Ponyville.

With three taking to the sky and three on the ground, Soapbox surreptitiously darted into a nearby alley. The little donkey peered around a corner then placed a hoof over his chest. The trembling hoof was soon placed over his mouth. His exasperated gasps for air resonated in the small area.

"There's no telling what those crazy ponies will do to me. I've got to get home. Mom probably left a way to disable her spell. If I can get back to my house, I'll be safe." Soapbox said to himself.

"Hi, my name's Pinkie Pie. What's yours?" Pinkie Pie said.

"Gah!" Soapbox said. His calmed heart pounded within his chest, again. He darted down an alleyway. Objects whizzed by. "Fertilizer. Reactants. Metal shavings. Container. Stopper."

Pinkie Pie bounded towards her target with a smile, but her ears lowered. She stopped. The pink pony crept forward. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to scare you. I Pinkie Pie Promise we're not gonna hurt you. We just want to get Twilight's little note back. That's all."

"..." Soapbox remained silent. His hooves refused to stop shaking.

Pinkie Pie pressed her hoof against the little donkey's shoulder. She reared back, "Whoa!"

A firestorm of light came from the uncorked bottle Soapbox tossed into the air after a loud pop startled him.

Vendor stalls and carts rocketed by Soapbox as he raced through the streets.

The little donkey's hooves caved out from underneath him. He fell forward then slammed to a stop.

"Big Mac. Talk about a matter of luck. I'm glad ya came on by." Applejack said. The cowgirl wiped several beads of sweat from her forehead. "Quite the chase you gave us. Listen, we ain't mad at ya or anything of the sort. Twi just needs that letter stuck to that hoof of yours. We'll fix ya right up and get ya on the way, promise."

Big Macintosh raised an eyebrow. He picked his front left hoof up. The stallion ended up on his back as an explosion of light illuminated the area, sparks flying into the sky.

The six ponies charged forward.

Soapbox darted down the road till he slammed into a door. His tired hooves carried him inside before he managed to slam the door behind him. Two breaths taken, he said with an exasperated shout, "The castle?!"

"Hey Soapbox, didn't expect to ever see you here without that box on your back. How's your mom doing? " Spike said. The two doors to the crystal tree house castle burst open. His eyes were greeted by the sight of six ponies with frizzled manes, which stood at the steps of the castle. He winced as the doors to the castle slammed shut behind the ponies. "Jeez, what dragon did you guys tangle with?"

"Spike, this is no time for jokes. That, that ruffian behind you almost destroyed my mane, and I needn't tell you how long of a good soak it'll take to undo this mess." Rarity said. The aura around her horn surrounded Soapbox. "Now, that is quite enough out of you. All this fuss over a little piece of paper. Twilight, what in Equestria is so important about this thing stuck to his hoof?"

"It's from Princess Celestia, but I haven't had time to read it since somepony, who shall remain nameless, foalnapped me this morning. I mean, it could be anything. It could be a dire emergency that needs our attention. Perhaps something escaped from Tartarus, or there's an issue in Canterlot...." Twilight said, going off on a tangent.

Pinkie Pie tilted her head, trotted up towards Soapbox, and removed the piece of paper from his hoof. "Four eggs, one teaspoon vanilla, two cups of sugar...."

Applejack lowered the brim of her hat. She said, "Twi, Ah think we're the flank end of a joke here."

"So that's where the recipe went. I fired off a letter to Princess Celestia for those awesome sugar cookies she always makes for the holidays." Spike said. He shrugged. "What?"

Soapbox, released from Rarity's magical grasp, looked around. After he calmed his breathing, the little donkey crawled towards the door, however, he found himself levitated off the ground, again.

Twilight glared at Soapbox, her left eye twitching. "O no. You aren't going anywhere. You darted all over Ponyville and caused quite the ruckus."

"Fracas!" Pinkie Pie said. She scratched her head. "No wait, you're right. It's a ruckus."

"Whatever the case, his injuries need tending to before they get worse." Twilight said.

"Twilight, this is Soapbox, and you need to calm down." Spike said.

"Calm, CALM! How can I be calm when half of Ponyville got upended?" Twilight said.

"And exactly whose fault is that? Soapbox avoids crowds. He can't deal with them without his box on his back." Spike said.

"Grr..." Twilight said as she relinquished her magical grasp. As the others left, one-by-one, the pony sat down near her faithful assistant who sat near the table Soapbox had taken refuge under. "Spike. Will you explain to me what's going on, exactly?"

"That's a bit of a long story." Spike said.

"I like stories." Pinkie Pie said.

"Pinkie," Twilight said, ending with a guttural groan.

"Fine, I gotta get back to making some cakes anyways." Pinkie Pie said.

*** *** ***

"It's ok, Soapbox. You'll be fine." Spike said. He dabbed a small cotton ball against a scuffed area on the little donkey's foreleg. Two pieces of clean cloth were placed over the slight injury. The little dragon patted the bandage before he place the medical kit back in its location. He came back to the table. "Look, I'm not very good, but maybe you'd like to play a game against Twilight."

"Game?" Twilight said. She stretched her hooves then combed her mane and tail. "Now that I've had time to think about it, that little light show was rather impressive. How exactly did he pull it off?"

Soapbox turned his back towards Spike and Twilight, and then hung his head

"What's up with him?" Twilight said.

"It's ok if you don't want to talk about it." Spike said. The little dragon received a shrug. "I don't mind telling Twilight, but it's up to you if you want to keep it a secret."

Twilight raised an eyebrow. She came closer after Soapbox closed his eyes.

"What happened?" Twilight said. She spoke in a soft tone, "It's ok, you can tell me. I'm not mad. Is somepony bullying you at school?"

"Twilight, this stays between us, ok." Spike said. He pulled Twilight close to him. "Soapbox's mom, Bright Spark Tome, didn't really tell me not to talk about it."

"Wait a minute. Are you telling me his mother is Tome, like, like as in the Tome, one of the most renowned teachers at Princess Celestia's school for gifted unicorns?" Twilight said.

"Yea. Mind if I continue?" Spike said.

"Sorry." Twilight said, blushing.

Spike rubbed a nervous claw against his neck. The little dragon looked toward Twilight. He took a deep breath, and then exhaled.

"So, what's all the secrecy about?" Twilight said.

"I didn't promise Soapbox's mom I wouldn't talk about it, but I kinda got the impression to keep it to myself." Spike said. He cleared his throat. "Anyways, this is Soapbox, and things with him are kind of a long story. There's a lot even I don't know about."

Twilight raised an eyebrow, "Kind of beating around the bush, aren't you?"

"Sorry. I don't know the best way to put it. I guess I'll just be blunt and say it mainly involves Tirek." Spike said.

Twilight looked at Soapbox, and then reached forward. As she watched his withers twitched, she stopped. "What happened?"

Spike placed a soft claw on Soapbox's back. He sat down beside him. "Even his folks don't. They blacked out when Tirek attacked."

"I see." Twilight said in a melancholic voice.

"All they know for certain is that it happened at a theater in Canterlot where Highlight, his sister, was performing. Bright Spark and Sky Flare pushed Soapbox off his seat when Tirek began draining the ponies of their magic. They believe he was left alone in the theater with all those collapsed ponies." Spike said.

"..."

"huh?" Twilight said.

Soapbox began to shiver. "I. Was just naive. Tirek reminded me about the truth that day."

The room where the crystal table resided remained silent.

"Tirek. I can't believe he's still lingering in Equestria." Twilight said.

"What do you mean, Twilight? You and the others defeated him. He's back in Tartarus." Spike said.

"Spike, every battle has its price. For us, it was the library. We lost our home. For others, it's worse than losing their home." Twilight said. She glanced at Soapbox then turned towards Spike, "Sometimes, the hardest injuries to treat are the ones we can never see."

"I should leave," Soapbox said. He exhaled a deep breath, his body calming. The little donkey crept out from underneath the table, reached up, and then placed his hoof on the ground. "Thanks."

Spike held the door open, and then grumbled. "Why'd you close the door?"

"Spike, can't you see that he's hurting." Twilight said.

"Twilight, trust me, what you're seeing is way out of your league. This isn't a friendship problem." Spike said. He walked towards Twilight. "Soapbox has gone to shrinks and therapists all over Equestria. Not to mention we should let his parents decide what to do."

"Spike, the note states that his mother wanted him out of the house. It says quite clearly -- on the back -- Soapbox should meet some ponies in Ponyville." Twilight said. She frowned at her assistant, "Spike."

The little dragon remained silent. He reached for the door handle and tugged on it. "Twilight, open the door."

"No. We're going to find a way to help Soapbox." Twilight said.

"Is that your choice to make? Shouldn't it be up to his family." Spike said. He pulled the piece of paper away from his face. His eyes glanced over each word. "Twilight, I know you're the 'Princess of Friendship' here, but I think Soapbox's mom meant somepony he could, I don't know, maybe relate to, like someone at school."

"What game do you want to play?" Twilight said.

Soapbox hid underneath the table.

Twilight neared Soapbox, giving him a gentle smile. "You want to play something like horseshoes, or hide and seek?"

Spike sighed. He walked toward the table and pushed Twilight out of the way. The little dragon placed a gentle claw on Soapbox's back. "Sorry. When she gets like this, there's no stopping her. You want to play some chess while I try to get in touch with your family?"

"Chess?" Twilight said. She scratched her head. "Well, there's a chess set in the library."

Coaxed out from his spot, Soapbox followed Spike, who followed behind Twilight. The little donkey's eyes gravitated to each object in the castle's hallway. Soapbox raised his head and looked behind. He hid underneath a table. Removed from his new hiding spot, Soapbox soon found himself in the castle's library.

"Let me see, here it is, right where I left it. Pardon the dust." Twilight said. Her magic surrounded the box. She let out a quick sneeze. All of the pieces floated onto the table. "So, do you play normal or timed?"

Soapbox glanced around the room. He focused on the pieces. "Either."

"I got twenty bits on Soapbox." Spike said.

Twilight raised an eyebrow. "Snacks."

"Fine. You owe me twenty bits when you lose. Besides, I better send a note to Princess Celestia about the Sugar Cookie recipe. I need a new copy since mine got torn up." Spike said.

Twilight shook her head. Her magic surrounded a pawn. As the ornate glass pawn moved forward, the game started.

In the library's corner, the grandfather clock ticked on. Pieces advanced and left the board. All the pieces were placed back onto the board. Spike returned, leapt onto a seat, and munched on some popcorn. The games continued, one after another, until the sunlight began to dim in the library, both hands of the grandfather clock pointing at six.

"Twenty. Bits." Twilight said. She placed her head into her hooves. The pony glanced at the little donkey who maintained a focused gaze on the chessboard. "I know I'm rusty, but I shouldn't be 'that' rusty."

Spike snickered, and then whistled an innocent tune. "I was gonna warn ya, Soapbox here is a bit of a champ. He spends all his time studying."

Twilight rolled her eyes before she chuckled. "Wonder who that reminds me of."

Spike stretched his arms and popped a crick in his neck.

"Spike, I thought I told you to put that book back in the case. I can't replace it." Twilight said. She placed a gentle hoof on the blue colored book. Her eyes went soft. "I thought this had been lost when Tirek destroyed our home. Pinkie Pie. Rarity. Applejack. Rainbow Dash. Fluttershy. All of them signed this book Princess Celestia gave to me as a gift after Nightmare Moon was defeated."

Spike rubbed a nervous claw against his left arm. He took the book in a secure hold, and then placed it into the case. "I still miss our home, our real home."

"..." Twilight latched onto Spike and gave him a soft hug, "I miss it too. Though we've been in this castle for some time, it can never take the place of our old home."

Soapbox glanced toward Twilight and Spike. He looked at the bandage on his leg. The little donkey reached forward. His hoof pressed against a piece on the chessboard. In a hushed tone, after he knocked the piece over, he said, "Check."

"Heh, focused as ever, I see." Spike said. The little dragon chuckled to himself. "I'll never forget that one day at your house, Soapbox. If I remember right, it was thirty-nine books in total. Still had some stashed away."

"Fifty-nine books. Mom found the other twenty." Soapbox said, ending in a sigh.

"Wait, you had twenty more books? How in Equestria did you store that many? Wait, does that include the other forty-one books we nabbed from you?" Spike said.

Twilight's ears perked up. "You checked out one-hundred books from the library?"

Soapbox nodded.

"Wow, here I thought my record of twenty-five from the Canterlot Library would remain intact." Twilight said.

"I'll never forget when me and Bright Spark found Soapbox in that pile of books he borrowed from the library and brought all of them back to the castle." Spike said.

"Wait, the ones you brought back to the castle? Soapbox, are you the one who borrowed all those books from the library before Tirek destroyed it?" Twilight said.

Soapbox nodded

"I, I can't --" Twilight lunged forward and hugged the little donkey, "-- thank you so, so much. I can't thank you enough for keeping all those books safe. It must be a miracle. Almost every single tome, every single book you borrowed were one of a kind items I thought were destroyed. Some of them were irreplaceable pieces Princess Celestia and Princess Luna had given to me as gifts. Never have I been more happy the library didn't have a lending limit."

Soapbox slipped out of Twilight's grasp. He hid underneath the couch in the library.

"Geez Twilight, did you forget he's skittish." Spike said. He looked underneath the couch, "It's ok, she's not mad at you."

Two eyes peaked out from behind the couch. "..."

Spike shook his head. "And they say Fluttershy is skittish."

"That little donkey needs to lighten up." A voice said.

"Discord?" Twilight said.

The tipped over chess piece rolled onto the floor. Light surrounded it before the object turned into a recognizable, misshapen form. "I have to say," Discord stretched, "turning into that piece brought back those awful memories of being turned to stone. I need to make a mental note not to do that again."

Twilight's right eye twitched. She recoiled. "Discord! That's disgusting. Put that back inside your head."

"Well I did say I would be making a mental note." Discord said. He sighed. "What is this, a graveyard? Can't get a decent laugh out of this house. Well, anyways, I wanted to see how my favorite princess was doing."

"Discord, what are you up to?" Twilight said.

"Me, up to something? I'm hurt. Can't I hang out with a dear 'friend' like you?" Discord said. His puppy-dog eyes reflected of Twilight's eyes. The misshapen creature floated into the air and lazed back. "Fine. The truth of the matter is Fluttershy isn't at her cottage. There's a note on the door saying she's gone to some animal conference in Las Pegasus, and it's so boring trying to 'hang out' with the others. I mean, could Rarity be anymore uptight? Not to mention Applejack and Pinkie Pie are doing their own little thing, and you'd think Rainbow Dash would be a more livelier sort. I mean, for a pony that's about speed, she sleeps like there's no tomorrow. I dare say you're the only one I can have some fun with at the moment."

"Likely story. Anyways, I don't have time to entertain guests." Twilight said. She placed a quick hoof over her mouth. "What I meant to say is I don't have time to entertain your shenanigans."

Discord snapped his eagle talon. The world went hazy before turning to a bright open field. "What we need is a little change of scenery. A bit of fresh air could do us all some good. Now, from your little game, it looked like the little donkey was 7 and 0 if I remember correctly. I'm up to seeing another game unfold."

Soapbox crawled out from underneath the couch. He raised an eyebrow at Discord.

Time froze.

"Princess Twilight Sparkle's assertion is quite correct. You are up to something." Soapbox said.

"I'm just here for a little game, if you will. Nothing more, nothing less, Soapbox. Now, how about you play along before Twilight becomes suspicious." Discord said, whispering into Soapbox's ear.

In the open field, time resumed. A flash of light appeared beside Twilight.

Soapbox crawled back underneath the couch.

Discord sighed. "Rather skittish, aren't you."

"Stop tormenting him." Twilight said.

"Hmph, if that's how you're going to be, I'll go have my fun somewhere else." Discord said.

The world around the group disappeared, returning to the castle. Spike, Twilight, and Soapbox looked at each other. Twilight walked towards Soapbox, placing a gentle wing over him. Spike patted the little donkey on the back. The two walked out of the library with Soapbox in toe.

On the game board, a lone pawn moved forward. Several moments passed, and, in the end, a stalemate.

"This will be rather entertaining." Discord said. His tail wrapped around a small piece. He flicked it into the air, and then froze it. "Well, as they say, 'the right piece can make all the difference.'"

"Discord. I do not like being up before it is time for me to take over duties from my sister." Princess Luna said. She peered into the hallway before she sat in the seat opposite of the misshapen entity. "It appears the little one is unharmed, for now. Mark my words, and heed them well. If anything befalls him, you will be at fault."

"Only time will tell Lulu, only time will tell. For now, it's best to set him on a path towards something rather momentous. I just wonder how long it will take Soapbox to understand the next riddle, if he hasn't already done so." Discord said. In a deep tone he said, "Toodles."

Princess Luna placed a firm hoof on her forehead, letting out an exasperated sigh. When she removed it, the princess raised an eyebrow. "What can take a lifetime to earn, but a moment to lose?"

The princess smiled. "Clever creature. Though it's wrong, I must admit I'm quite curious how long Soapbox will take to comprehend this riddle."