• Published 2nd Dec 2018
  • 252 Views, 0 Comments

The Worth of One - DouglasTrotter



A little donkey named Soapbox learns that every creature, even the smallest have power inside of them.

  • ...
 0
 252

Chapter 4

"Though it appears invincible, what can take some an entire lifetime to earn while being broken by all in an instant?" Soapbox said. He gazed towards the ceiling. The sphere in the library reflected off his eyes as he watched it go about its business in the grand, dream arcane library. The little donkey leaned back in his chair, and then looked at the desk. His blue eyes fixated on the object in front of him. "A lifetime to earn. Broken in an instant. But it appears invincible."

"Pencils down." A voice said. Discord came forward, tapping the end of a ruler in his claw. "Time to check your work."

Soapbox raised an eyebrow.

"I never said these riddles weren't timed." Discord said.

"But you never stated they were timed, either." Soapbox said.

"Touché," Discord said, causing the ruler to collapse. "Swear, if I knew you'd be this much trouble, I'd have given you some skeleton keys. Of course, you'd find a way to drag me into that escaped. Should have just given you a cookie."

The gears underneath the glass floor began to slow.

Discord materialized a watch. "Times almost up."

"If I'm barred from the house, the libraries, and literature, this will be harder to comprehend." Soapbox said. He leapt out of his chair. "There's probably an answer. I just need to be cautious and avoid those six ponies. I wonder if there's an answer in Ponyville."

"Nope." Discord said, floating by on a cloud while eating popcorn bags.

Soapbox raised an eyebrow. "Hmm?"

"O, you'll see." Discord said before he vanished. His chuckle resonated throughout the arcane library.

Soapbox closed his eyes. He rolled to his side. His body landed on the ground with a thud. The tan little donkey groaned. His left ear twitched, being greeted by the commotion of several nearby passengers.

"I see you're awake, Soapy." a familiar voice said.

"How cute," another voice said.

Soapbox groaned. His eyes crept open. The little donkey stood up. He sighed, and then proceeded to hid underneath the seat of his big sister.

"Now, now, now. That's not nice, Soapy." Highlight said.

"Hmm, I must say, that's quite the unusual mane style. Does he do it himself, or is it just naturally that way?" A pony said.

"His mane is always atrocious. I swear it has a mind of its own." Highlight said. She opened her bag. A few minutes passed, and she closed her bag. "By the way, I cannot thank you enough for coming along on this trip, Miss Rarity."

"Please, darling, call me Rarity." The pony said. She smiled at the slender young mare in front of her. "I had no idea that Soapbox's big sister was the starlet of the stage, Highlight. If you pardon my gushing, I dare say you're quite the up and coming actress."

"Thank you, but, if you don't mind me asking in return, is it true you designed an outfit for Sapphire Shores?" Highlight said. She grinned after Rarity gave a firm nod. "Sapphire Shores is my idol. She's always so beautiful, and her music is superlative."

As the two ponies chatted away, Soapbox yawned, and then ran a quick hoof over his mane. He looked around. His hooves latched onto the box that sat near his sister, and, with the box on his back, the little donkey proceeded toward the center isle of the train car.

"Ow." Soapbox said.

"I see you're awake." a familiar voice said.

"..."

Soapbox retreated into his box.

Highlight placed a firm hoof on her forehead. She latched onto the box and placed it next to her. The young mare tapped on it, forcing her brother to poke his head out. "Soapy, that's not nice, especially towards a princess."

Twilight waved a polite hoof at the young mare. "Please, just call me Twilight. I have to be honest, I'm still surprised your father agreed to the arrangement, considering how hesitant he seemed when we first talked."

"Dad is a little bit on the overprotective side when it comes to Soapbox. I can't blame him since my brother was kinda frail when he was born. Mom and dad wouldn't even let me hold him till he was like two years old." Highlight said.

"O no, no, no, don't cry. You'll ruin your makeup." Rarity said. She reached into her bag, "Here, dry your eyes."

"Thanks," Highlight said. Her slender hoof rubbed against her brother's mane. "The truth is that I felt bad for him."

"Why?" Rarity said.

"He didn't get to play with other fillies and colts, at least not like me. About the only thing Soapbox could do is read and study." Highlight said.

"Ten minutes. Ten minutes till our arrival." The train conductor shouted.

The little donkey raised his head, his ears standing straight up. Soapbox glanced at the window. His hooves soon pressed against it. Under a hushed voice he said, "Manehattan?"

Highlight pulled her brother closer. She tapped on the box. Twilight and Rarity snickered at one another then levitated several bags off the storage area above their seat.

"Now, I'll need you to be on your best behavior, Soapbox. You'll be going with Twilight on her excursion while Rarity assists me at the theater." Highlight said.

"My friends call me Twilight," the pony said, giving a smile and a wink.

"Please, try to have some fun, Soapbox. Here's a little spending allowance from me, mom, and dad. Don't go spending it all in one place now." Highlight said. She stood up. The pony placed a quick hoof near her brother. As the train came to an abrupt halt, the pony looked at her brother. "Big sis has your back, little bro."

Rarity raised an eyebrow, "My word, where did you learn to do that?"

"As mom likes to say, a lot, particularly to Soapbox, one must fill themselves with both knowledge and experience." Highlight said. The slender earth pony placed a bag on her back. "I'll teach you that move, if you're curious."

A puff of thick smoke rose from the train's stack. White steam billowed from the boiler and blasted from a release valve, a whistle soon following. Twilight, Rarity, Highlight, and Soapbox descended the train car ramp. The group found themselves greeted by the boisterous noise of the hustle and bustle of Manehattan's central train hub.

"So, we'll meet up at Mr. Calzone's restaurant at four-thirty." Highlight said. She led the group across the platform towards the outside area. "Rarity, again, I cannot thank you enough for helping us with the decor and costumes. Things have been so difficult since Seam and Hem left the show to pursue their own ideas."

"It's quite alright. Coco Pommel should meet us at the theater. She's an excellent seamstress, and I know she'll be more than delighted to help." Rarity said.

Twilight chuckled to herself while Soapbox remained underneath his box. "I guess those two are hitting it off rather well. Now, how about you and I hit up some stores. There's one I've had on my list for quite some time."

Soapbox moved surreptitiously passed Twilight.

Twilight smirked and illuminated her horn. She glanced towards her right side. The small box on Soapbox's back dragged him backwards. "That won't do any good. I figured you'd try to hide, so I put a locator spell on your box."

"O. Goody," Soapbox said, finding himself levitated towards Twilight's side. As he gazed up at the pony in front of him -- the sun hovering near Twilight's horn -- the little donkey's withers began to twitch. Sweat ran down his forehead. He retreated into his box.

Twilight placed a soft hoof on the box at her side. She gave a gentle tap.

"S-Sorry." Soapbox said.

"Don't apologize." Twilight said. The pony guided the little donkey down Wither Lane. She looked at Soapbox. The further she traveled, the more the sounds around her and Soapbox turned to white-noise. "When you're ready to talk, I'm ready to listen."

"..."

"Did you say something?" Twilight said.

"Discord?" Soapbox said.

Twilight scratched her head. She looked around, and then shrugged. "Discord is back in Ponyville. Except, now that you mention it, why is there a pink cloud floating in the sky? Stay right there."

A small colt ran up to Soapbox, pulling him into an alleyway.

"That pony can be the most troublesome thing." Discord said, shapeshifting into his true form. He snapped his claw, "There, no more locator spell."

Soapbox squinted at Discord.

"Hey, don't look at me like that, Soapbox. I'm just here cause... umm, the bananas are excellent. Can't beat the fine imports of bananas. Just ask Princess Celestia about it. She loves them bananas." Discord said. He leaned against a nearby brick wall. "O poo, you're no fun. If you must know, Princess Luna has me on a short leash."

The little donkey began walking away, having tossed the dog leash back at Discord.

"You know, if I had known that little thing inside your noodle would have caused me 'this' much trouble, I would have stayed home when Fluttershy asked me to help out Princess Luna on her little request." The misshapen creature said. He groaned. "Great, looks like the bookworm figured out the cloud. I better scoot before she gets wise to things."

"What you're doing doesn't make sense." Soapbox said.

"Heh, sense, what fun is there in making sense." Discord said, vanishing into the wall.

Soapbox sighed. Before he could move, the box on his back pulled him backwards. He flew out of the alley.

"Ouch," Twilight rubbed her head then stood up, "and where did you go? Discord must have played a trick because I spoiled his fun. I swear that Draconeques is going to get a piece of my --"

Soapbox raised an eyebrow after Twilight covered her mouth.

"Nothing, nothing." Twilight said, ending with a nervous laugh. She scouted the area. The pony and her companion traveled further into Manehattan before coming to a stop. "Ahh, finally, Mr. Curios Curiosities and Conundrums. I've always wanted to visit this place. Wait, did you just laugh at me?"

"No," Soapbox said, hiding a slight smile. He proceeded behind Twilight into the shop where antiquities and knick-knacks decorated the walls. "...?"

"Hmm, a walking box. Now this is quite the interesting find. I'll pay you fifty bits for it." Mr. Curios said, lifting up the box.

Twilight pressed a firm hoof to her mouth. She chuckled to herself. "The, the box isn't for sale. That's my friend."

"You made a friend with a box?" Mr. Curios said.

Twilight twirled her hoof at the stallion.

The stallion put the box on the ground, cleaned his glasses, and squinted at the wooden object. "Seventy-Five bits, and not a bit more."

"I'm unsure if you're doing this on purpose." Soapbox said. He glanced at Mr. Curios. "I'm not for sale."

Mr. Curios backed away and grabbed a charm. "I banish thee in the name of the four winds, talking box."

Soapbox rolled his eyes. He glanced at the stallion in front of him. "I'm. A. Donkey. Not a living box."

The stallion sighed. "Sorry Twilight, I tried."

"Thank you, Mr. Curios." Twilight said.

"Quite the joke, at my expense." Soapbox said.

Twilight stood near the stallion. She apologized to Soapbox. "Mr. Curios is a dear friend of mine. Well, actually, he's a friend of my mother. They're pen pals and write to each other, quite often actually. I hoped to give you a bit of a laugh."

Soapbox shook his head. He meandered about the store, his hoof grazing across several objects.

"Is your friend alright, Twilight?" Mr. Curios said, placing the charm back on the wall.

"I don't know," Twilight said in a melancholic tone. She glanced towards Soapbox, and then back towards Mr. Curios. "His parents, I feel horrible for them. They don't know don't know what to do in order to help him out, and I don't know either. There are times where it'd be nice if life had a compass."

"Life has no compass. Nor will it give you a map when you are born. All of us must walk our own chosen path in life, and, as unfortunate as this sounds, life has no easy path for some of us." Mr. Curios said. He glided a gentle hoof down the brown, wooden side of a picture frame on the glass display case. "Today would have marked our sixtieth anniversary."

"I'm sorry." Twilight said.

"No, no, don't be sorry. Life is meant to be lived, and the two of us lived our lives with happiness in our hearts." Mr. Curios said. He grabbed a tissue then tossed it int he waste basket. The stallion gave a kind smile to Twilight. "Not to worry, little bookmark. You'll figure out how to help your friend, I know it."

"Heh, always called me that when you came to visit my mother." Twilight said. She stopped. Sunlight reflected off a small polished object on a shelf and illuminated the small shelf behind Mr. Curios. Twilight's eyes lit up. "Ooo, what's that?"

Mr. Curios smirked. "Always the keen eye. This just came into my possession. The mare almost donated it to a museum, but, it's bizarre. There was something about it that changed her mind. She brought it into my shop, and, well, as they say, that was that."

Soapbox perused several objects inside a small bin. He placed an object back into the small bin, and then moved towards the corner of the shop. The little donkey looked over his right shoulder, ever-so-often, at the object Mr. Curios held.

"Wow, this is just, amazing. It has to be at least, what, five-hundred years old?" Twilight said.

"Try seven to eight. The book almost dates back to the time Princess Celestia banished her sister, Princess Luna. I dare say it might even be older. I've cross referenced all of my literature on the matter, and I've yet to determine its age. Still waiting for the right buyer." Mr. Curios said. The clock on the wall reflected off the glass top of the display case. "Hmm, four o'clock already? Time is always in motion."

"No, we just got here. Hmph!" Twilight said, ending with a grimace. She bolted out the door.

Soapbox approached the counter. He pointed at the book now placed back on the shelf behind the display case. "I'd like to make an offer on that book, if you don't mind, sir."

Mr. Curios rubbed a quick hoof across his chin. He eyed the young donkey, and then lifted up the sack of bits placed on the counter.

"Seventy-five bits is the best I can offer." Soapbox said.

"I see. That is quite the fair offer, but, I cannot do it for seventy-five bits, young one." Mr. Curios said. He walked from behind the counter. The tall stallion placed the book in a bag, and then placed the bag underneath the box on Soapbox's back. "We'll call it twenty-five as thanks for your kindness to endure an old stallion's attempt at humor. Not to mention, I know that look in your eye. This isn't for yourself, is it?"

Soapbox gave a polite bow after placing his sack of bits underneath his box. "Thank you for allowing me to purchase the book, Mr. Curios."

"Oooo, I knew I shouldn't have gazed at that book for so long. It'll take forever to make it downtown to Mr. Calzone's shop." Twilight said. Her eyes widened. "Soapbox!"

"Yes?" Soapbox said.

"Phew, thought I lost you. Wait, what am I saying? I've got that locator spell." Twilight said, ending with a slight laugh.

A melancholic gaze greeted Twilight as Soapbox stared at her. "We could fly to Mr. Calzone's shop, take a Taxi, or, if possible, we can teleport there."

"..." Twilight said nothing, gazing towards the sky above Manehatten. She looked at the taxis racing by the central street. "I guess I could fly us there, but I don't know the direction. Not to mention getting a Taxi at the best of times is horrendous, especially during rush hour. As for teleportation, it's a little more complicated than you might think."

"Sorry," Soapbox said. His gaze fixated on the crowd of ponies. He looked up after receiving a gentle tap on his box.

"It's, it's alright. Contrary to how it looks, teleportation isn't the easiest of spells." Twilight said. The pony looked at Soapbox, "If I'm not careful, I could hurt us. Not to mention, with it being so crowded, I might slam into some-pony. I guess flying might be the better option."

"Actually, when I said flying, I meant a cloud." Soapbox said. He looked off to his side, "I'm not comfortable sitting on the backs of others."

"Why?" Twilight said.

"I don't want to talk about it." Soapbox said.

Twilight reached forward, and then stopped. She looked at her hoof and clenched it. The pony and her young guest meandered their way through the crowded streets of Manehatten towards a tranquil park where water cascaded from the top of a beautiful water fountain into its ornate base. Twilight sat on the bench, Soapbox standing beside her.

The sun began to set, its light receding from Manehatten and Equestria.

"Twilight?" a voice said.

"Coco?" Twilight said.

"I'm so happy to see you. I got separated from Rarity and her friend. Manehatten is always a mess at this time of day." Coco said. She sat on the small crate near the bench. The pony let out an exasperated sigh. "We were on our way towards the restaurant, and," Coco tilted her head, "what's going on?"

"Umm, you're sitting on my friend." Twilight said, pointing a slow hoof at the box.

"O dear, I'm so, so sorry. Wait. You're friends with a box?" Coco Pommel said. She leapt off the wooden crate. The mare lifted it up, "O my, he's precious. What's your name?"

Soapbox raised an eyebrow. He relaxed, receiving a nod from Twilight. "I'm Soapbox D. Spark, Miss Pommel. It's a pleasure to meet you."

"He's quite the polite one, too." Coco Pommel said.

"Do you know where Mr. Calzone's restaurant is located?" Soapbox said. After several minutes, the smell of pizzas, calzones, and other delicacies permeated the air. The little donkey received a quick wave from his sister and Rarity. "It's. Nice."

*** *** ***

"Twilight, I can't believe you devoured that whole pizza. The same goes for you too, Highlight." Rarity said. She received a sheepish grin from the two ponies. The unicorn placed a firm hoof on her forehead. "Though, I must say, Pinkie's record remains intact. That pony could eat five pizzas without batting an eye, or gaining an inch or two."

The sun continued its descent into the distant horizon, the moon rising in the opposite. A little pegasus colt hovered near an unlit streetlamp. He pulled a small lit candle out from his lantern. Four seconds later, his work done, he moved onto the next unlit streetlamp.

Outside Hotel De Marquee, a trio of ponies played underneath the awning of the entrance. Rarity, Twilight, Highlight, and Soapbox walked across the street from Mr. Calzone's restaurant to the quaint hotel. Soapbox glanced around the hotel lobby while the others gossiped and chatted away.

"Hello, Misses Brooch. How's Mister Inn doing?" Highlight said.

"Highlight, it's so good to see you and young Soapbox, as always." Mrs. Brooch said. The elderly mare flipped through her notes on the counter. "By the way Highlight, I cannot wait for your performance this Saturday."

"I, I thought it was tonight." Highlight said.

"Darling, the ticket says it's Saturday, a week from today." Rarity said.

Highlight looked at her brother's ticket, and then examined Rarity and Twilight's. "Ooo... hmph. This is the second time I've done this, I'm so, so sorry Rarity. The same goes to all of you."

"It's quite alright. There's no need to fret about it, and, to be honest like Applejack, I'm actually quite glad. This will give us time to create a magnanimous epitome of fashion. Coco will met up with us tomorrow at the theater." Rarity said.

Misses Brooch reached behind the counter. Her hoof latched onto four keys, and then placed them on the counter. "You are actually in luck. The patrons have yet to arrive, so the rooms aren't filled up. Here, you can have the penthouse suite up top. It has a lovely view of the theater from the balcony, accommodates ten ponies, and certainly not least, it has a divine sitting area."

"Thank you, Misses Brooch." Soapbox said, bowing to the pony behind the counter.

"Polite as always. Please, feel free to order from the hotel menu. We have a full service kitchen staff on call. " Misses Brooch said.

The four grabbed their keys and walked towards the elevator.

The grand entryway of the penthouse suite greeted the four equines, and, with their bags stowed, the four settled in. Twilight, Rarity, Highlight, and Soapbox relaxed on the large, circular couch. Rarity and Twilight sipped on some tea as Highlight drank some water. Soapbox let out a quiet yawn near his sister. Rarity and Twilight whispered towards each other, pointing a subtle hoof at Soapbox while Highlight rubbed her brother's mane. The two ponies gave a quiet chuckle towards each other.

Soapbox stood up. He yawned. The little donkey crept towards his room.

"Soapbox, will you be ok?" Highlight said. She opened the door. "I don't mind if you want to stay in my room tonight."

"I'll be fine." Soapbox said.

"You better promise me that you will not sleep on the floor in that box. I will be checking in on you." Highlight said.

"I promise." Soapbox said. His eyes followed Rarity, and then his big sister, watching the two ponies close the door to their rooms. In a quiet voice, the little donkey said, "... Twilight?"

"Hmm?" Twilight said. The pony raised an eyebrow as she turned around, looking over the couch.

Soapbox remained silent as he reached underneath his box.

"You didn't have to get me. Anything." Twilight said. She took the small brown parcel in her hoof. The pony removed the object from the brown paper bag. Her eyes widened. As Twilight sat on the couch, she ran a soft hoof across the ancient book's cover. "Mr. Curios, I swear that stallion has a sixth sense, but are you sure this is ok? It's quite the rare artifact."

"Good night." Soapbox said, giving a polite bow.

"Thank you for the gift. It's wonderful." Twilight said. She walked towards Soapbox, and then stopped. "My promise will always stand."

"Thank you for taking me around today. I know I'm not the easiest to get along with, even in the best of circumstances." Soapbox hung his head. He meandered into his room then closed the door with a gentle push. Inside his room, the little donkey went to the bathroom and washed his hooves. He placed the box beside the bed and pulled the covers down. His hooves began to shake. Soapbox took a deep breath.

Gentle moonlight blanketed Manehatten. The music outside the hotel faded on the final musical number. Hoof-steps and voices ceased. Above the grand city, the moon crawled towards its apex in the sky.

Soapbox looked around his hotel room before he crawled underneath the bed. He mumbled to himself and closed his eyes. Two seconds later, the little donkey's eyes opened to a familiar sight of books, mystical objects, and a desk.

"So, did you figure it out yet?" a voice said.

Soapbox caressed the ornate cube on the desk. The lines etched into its surface glowed in a pale colored light. He nodded. The little tan donkey leaned back in his chair. "Though it appears invincible, what can take some an entire lifetime to earn while being broken by all in an instant? Trust."

Lines began to form on the cube. The pale colored glow intensified.

"Trust takes time, and, above all else, it is easily broken, being almost impossible to regain once it is lost." Soapbox said.

"And now, might I ask, who is it that you trust?" Discord said. He materialized a chair opposite that of the little donkey's desk. His fingers rasped against its arm. Discord stopped. He leaned in and said, in a firm tone, "Well, I'm waiting."

Soapbox looked at the floor. His eyes gravitated toward the object on the desk.

"Hmm?" Discord said.

"I trust you, Discord." Soapbox said.

Discord's ears lowered. He leaned back in his chair. "W-What makes you say that?"

"I don't know if I can trust Twilight or Rarity. Though I trust my big sister, my mother and father, you're... different. You gave me something special. Not to mention, it doesn't take a psychic to understand that you are the one who freed me from whatever kept me from my dream, from my library." Soapbox said.

The chaotic god rubbed his eagle claw against his lion's paw. He opened his mouth, closed it, and then put both arms in his lap. "Excuse me, I need a drink," he materialized a glass of water and drank the glass before dematerializing the water, "umm, well, that is correct, the first part, anyways."

"Why did you ask me who I trusted?" Soapbox said.

"You're a sly one." Discord said. He materialized a cowboy hat and placed it on his head. "I'll be honest as the day is long, little fellah. There were two parts to this one."

"I see," Soapbox said. He maintained his melancholic, expressionless gaze toward Discord.

"I had no idea you'd trust me. It, it feels awkward. Well, I mean beyond Fluttershy trusting me while being my one and only friend whom I can trust." Discord said after he flung the hat off, the Stetson vanishing into thin air.

A symbol formed on Soapbox's forehead. The unusual object, on the desk, shifted into a ball, soon resting on top of a stand.

"So, how do you feel?" Discord said.

"Weird. Not hot. Not cold." Soapbox said. He glanced around the world he'd come to know. The dream world remained intact. "What happened?"

Discord waved his finger. "Now, now, now. Don't go getting any funny ideas. The worst thing I can do is ruin the surprise. And before you ask, no, I haven't done anything funny, I promise."

"Besides the clown nose you've put on me?" Soapbox said, raising an eyebrow.

Discord picked the nose off and chucked it into the distance.

"How many riddles remain?" Soapbox said.

"Why not take a break? You solved two riddles," Discord grumbled, "in a row."

The world around the two stopped. Soapbox groaned.

"Soapy?" a familiar voice said. Two slender hooves reached toward Soapbox. Removed from his hiding spot, the little donkey rubbed his eyes. "You promised me."

"I promised not to sleep in the box on the floor." Soapbox said.

"Soapbox," Highlight said in a hushed tone. She placed her brother in the bed, pulling the sheet over him. The pony tucked the corners in. "There, you won't be getting out now."

"And if I need to go to the little colt's room?" Soapbox said.

Highlight placed a firm hoof on her forehead. She closed her eyes then pressed her hoof against Soapbox. "Soapbox D. Spark, if I catch you sleeping anywhere but the bed, you'll be staying with me at the theater, understand. Soapbox, I'm not joking. I can't have you getting sick. Now please, promise me."

"I promise to sleep in the bed," Soapbox said.

"With the covers pulled over you." Highlight said.

"I promise to sleep in the bed with the covers pulled over me." Soapbox said. He rubbed his forehead, and then his eyes. The little donkey squinted.

"Are you ok? You're not getting sick, I hope." Highlight said.

"I'm, I'm alright. I thought I saw something." Soapbox said.

Highlight patted her brother on the head before she left. The young mare headed to her room. "Soapbox, I hope you're making some effort to move forward. Me, mom and dad, you don't know how much all of us care about you."