• Published 2nd Dec 2018
  • 252 Views, 0 Comments

The Worth of One - DouglasTrotter



A little donkey named Soapbox learns that every creature, even the smallest have power inside of them.

  • ...
 0
 252

Epilogue

The days of summer passed in the blink of an eye for Equestria. Chilled winds blew against the trees of Ponyville. The fillies and colts that once galloped, trotted, and walked the streets returned to the Ponyville school house. Each of them shared their stories of their exploits with one another as Ms. Cheerilee called class into session.

Clock hands moved at a slow pace. Each filly and colt moaned and groaned. Some laid their heads down before sitting back up. The school bell rang. The young ponies filed out of the classroom.

A lone little donkey remained at his desk. He finished his work, and then leapt off his seat. His box on his back, Soapbox meandered outside.

"Twilight?" Soapbox said. He tiled his head. "Is there a problem?"

Twilight gave a quick grin to the little donkey in front of her. She illuminated her horn.

"Canterlot?" Soapbox said. He looked up, "I don't understand."

"I'd like you to meet my mentor, Princess Celestia." Twilight said. She smiled. "Sorry this took so long, but I wanted to talk things over. Bright Spark. Sky Flare. Highlight."

"What's going on?" Soapbox said.

Bright Spark, Sky Flare, Highlight, and Princess Luna and came into the small room. The group sat down at the table.

"Soapbox Doctrine Spark," Princess Celestia said in a clam voice, "it's a pleasure to meet you. My protégé has told me quite a lot about you."

The little donkey maintained his melancholic expression. He retreated into his box.

Princess Celestia raised an eyebrow, "Is he alright?"

"Soapbox," Bright Spark said. She tapped on the box. She tapped on it again. "Soapbox Doctrine Spark, that's not nice. You're being awarded for your help in defeating Queen Chrysalis."

"..."

A slight tap came to the box. Soapbox peaked out.

"It's alright, Soapbox. No pony is mad at you." Twilight said. She smiled at the little donkey. "Actually, if it weren't for your efforts, Queen Chrysalis may have retained Tirek's power and used it to threaten Equestria if she gained full control over it."

"I'm so sorry about this, Princess Celestia. Soapbox is just being difficult." Highlight said.

Princess Celestia snickered to herself. She laid on the ground. "It's alright. Whatever makes him comfortable. O my, he's precious."

Soapbox looked at his family, and then towards Twilight. He removed his box.

"He's quite skittish, but young Soapbox is also rather brilliant." Princess Luna said to her sister.

"I apologize for my behavior, Princess Celestia." Soapbox said, giving a polite bow. He looked at Princess Celestia. "I didn't mean to offend you."

"Formalities, formalities," Princess Celestia waved her hoof. She stood up. The mare moved towards a couch and sat down. "Here, why not join me."

"T-Thank you for the offer." Soapbox said, dragging his box over. He sat next to the princess. "I'm a little confused. What is this about, exactly?"

The small roomed remained quiet, until Bright Spark blew her nose. Sky Flare smiled towards Soapbox.

"Soapbox, I would like to commend your efforts. You used your talents to assist my protégé and her friends in defeating Queen Chrysalis, ensuring the safety of Equestria." Princess Celestia said. She looked to her side. "You skipped out on the awards ceremony, deciding to remain at school. Also, before I forget Blitzkrieg, or should I say Sky Flare, you accepted your award, correct."

"Y-Yes, Princess Celestia. I thank you for the accommodation." Sky Flare said.

"No documents this time, I assume." Princess Celestia said.

"Correct." Sky Flare said.

Soapbox tilted his head. He looked at his family. "I know I turned down the award ceremony, but, what is 'this' about? I apologize if I'm being rude."

Princess Luna stepped forward. "As said, you are being recognized for your efforts, and, we have a little surprise for you. Well, an additional surprise since it seems the library in your dreams is still intact, along with the wishing star princess."

"You see Soapbox, I'd like to send you to a special school. Rather, a special university." Princess Celestia said. She smiled at her protégé. "Twilight had a wonderful aptitude towards magic, and, with proper guidance, she's blossomed. All it takes is the right key to open the door to a world of possibilities, so, as a result, I'm giving you a full recommendation to the Equestrian University of Research and Advanced Studies."

"The EURAS?" Soapbox said. A small scroll landed onto his outstretched hooves. "I don't know if I deserve this reward. I mean, my sister, my mom and dad, the others, they helped protect Equestria. I just --"

"Soapbox, it's alright." Bright Spark said. She sat beside her son. "We all have our gifts, including you. We won't force you to go if you don't feel it's right. At the same time, this is a wonderful opportunity. Besides, it's not like you'll be living in Canterlot. I'll bring you to the university on my way to work, and then bring you home when I'm done."

"And the other students in Ponyville." Soapbox said. He looked at the scroll. "Feels like I'm being made out to be better than every pony else. That's why it doesn't feel right, I guess."

"Listen, Soapbox. You gotta do what is right for you." Sky Flare said. In a firm tone he stated, "I've actually got a friend at EURAS named Scarlet Rose. Between you and me, she stunk. She could fly between Canterlot and Ponyville, and that's it. Rose can't do anything special, however, she is one intelligent mare who knows her way around a botany lab. I kinda called in a favor to her and her husband, Genepool."

"What do you say, sis?" Soapbox said.

"I gotta admit, I'm kinda jealous there, 'Soapy.'" Highlight said. She looked rubbed her brother's mane. "But I'm also proud of you, little bro. This is your chance to shine and take center stage."

"May I think it over." Soapbox said.

"Of course, there's no need to worry, young Soapbox. There is no rush." Princess Celestia said. She sipped on a small cup of tea. The princess leaned in and whispered, "Besides, between you and me, I think this is better fit for you than some dusty old medal."

Soapbox looked at the scroll in his hooves. He leaned forward, giving the scroll to his mother. The little donkey looked at Princess Celestia. His hooves wrapped around her front left hoof. Princess Celestia extended her wing.

"You're welcome, young Soapbox. I'm so sorry you endured such a trying time." Princess Celestia said. She gave a firm nod and retracted her wing. "Within that scroll is a promise to guarantee you entry into EURAS, alongside a full scholarship. However, I do want to give you a word of caution."

Soapbox wiped away a small tear. He looked toward Princess Celestia. "Yes, Princess Celestia. I understand it will be difficult, far more difficult than my studies in Ponyville in Ms. Cheerilee's class."

"Indeed." Princess Celestia said. She stood up. "Thank you for coming. If you'll pardon me, I must attend to some business."

"Princess Luna, I did have a question." Soapbox said.

"Hmm?" Princess Luna said.

"That kiss on my forehead, back in my dream. Did that contribute to my ability to see the auras around others?" Soapbox said.

Princess Luna smirked. With a coy smile and a calm voice she said, "Quite the cheeky little one, and, I do not know."

"Thank you, Princess Luna." Soapbox said.

"I'll be keeping an eye on your dreams from now on, like all the other subjects of Equestria. That is a promise I will keep." Princess Luna said.

Twilight waved towards Soapbox. The little donkey nodded in return, and then reached for his box. He looked at his hoof, clenched it, and then he relaxed his hoof. Soapbox placed a firm hoof on the floor.

"Soapbox?" Bright Spark and Sky Flare said.

"Soapy? You ok?" Highlight said.

"Mom. Dad. Sis. I'm ready to go home." Soapbox said. He gave a small, gentle smile. "Thanks for being there for me."

Bright Spark placed a soft hoof on Soapbox's back. Highlight and Sky Flare stood near Soapbox. A bright flash of light illuminated the room.

Inside the royal room of Canterlot Castle, a lone box remained near the couch where Soapbox sat next to Princess Celestia.

Author's Note:

This is a story I took a long, long, LONG time to think about. I had bits and pieces of ideas scattered on my laptop. I decided to put them together for my entry into the National Novel Writing Month event on Equestria Daily.

It's not the greatest story ever told, but I hope it's entertaining. If there's anything off or wrong with a chapter, please feel free to alert me to it.

I hope everyone enjoys it.

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment